Clement's week on a beach in Dubai last week

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Clement's week on a beach in Dubai last week

by sandman » 26 Nov 2018 10:54

From Despair To Where?
Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal Strap's a good guy, but he's been doing these crazy rants since Rodgers was manager.

But true Reading fans at least go to some games - he's always on here during match time....I'd rather fans supported the team rather than compile fancy databases of info that's already out there

Don't know about you but I get an internet connection inside the stadium.

What is this witchcraft?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Nov 2018 10:58

I can usually get some warm up and HT thoughts down and my phone barely works these days.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 26 Nov 2018 11:00

From Despair To Where?
Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal Strap's a good guy, but he's been doing these crazy rants since Rodgers was manager.

But true Reading fans at least go to some games - he's always on here during match time....I'd rather fans supported the team rather than compile fancy databases of info that's already out there

Might depend on your operator. I don't, unless I walk out of the stadium through the smokers and hang around in the rain.

Irrelevant anyway - nobody knows what reasons people might have for not going to games. So whether he's lucky with his phone-operator, or is posting from his sofa makes no difference to whether he's a fan or not.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 26 Nov 2018 16:58

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal
AthleticoSpizz ‘normally decent poster’ posting overly emotional bs

I’m with Ian Royal for once

even tho I got there first

Strap's a good guy, but he's been doing these crazy rants since Rodgers was manager.

If you knew the personal health problems of posters you might not be so quick to judge.
I met strap briefly about 5 years ago and I can tell you that he is , and has been for many years, as well as his family very much a loyal Royal, who, like all of us, wants our team to do well.
BTW strap did you ever manage to compile those VHS (including Sheff Utd away) tapes onto CDs?

Don't Panic

by Don't Panic » 26 Nov 2018 17:10

muirinho
From Despair To Where?
Mid Sussex Royal

Might depend on your operator. I don't, unless I walk out of the stadium through the smokers and hang around in the rain.

Irrelevant anyway - nobody knows what reasons people might have for not going to games. So whether he's lucky with his phone-operator, or is posting from his sofa makes no difference to whether he's a fan or not.

But it does make a difference. See below:
Fan:
an enthusiastic devotee (as of a sport or a performing art) usually as a spectator
Supporter:
a person who is actively interested in and wishes success for a particular sports team.

So he is a fan if he is posting from his phone at the game, but if he is on his sofa I would suggest he is a supporter. The key difference being the spectator piece.

I would actually take it further than this, and suggest a fan actively encourages and takes part in the game, whilst a supporter does not.

Edit: not a dig at Strap, more a general comment on the difference between fan and supporter.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 26 Nov 2018 18:17

Don't Panic
muirinho
From Despair To Where?

Fan:
an enthusiastic devotee (as of a sport or a performing art) usually as a spectator
Supporter:
a person who is actively interested in and wishes success for a particular sports team.

So he is a fan if he is posting from his phone at the game, but if he is on his sofa I would suggest he is a supporter. The key difference being the spectator piece.

I would actually take it further than this, and suggest a fan actively encourages and takes part in the game, whilst a supporter does not.

Edit: not a dig at Strap, more a general comment on the difference between fan and supporter.

IMO when I stop "queue-jumping" and head back to Ireland I'll still be a fan even if I can get to only a few games per season.
If I'm unlucky enough to have serious health issues, and can't get to games at all, I'll still be a fan.

My other half has only been to one Man U game ever, and I paid for that as a birthday present - that's a supporter, not a fan.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Mar 2019 10:39

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jose-gomes-outlines-plan-reading-15988554

Gomes going back to Portugal for two days. Someone check Strap's blood pressure.
Last edited by sandman on 20 Mar 2019 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Mar 2019 10:40

sandman Gomes going back to Portugal for two days. Someone check Strap's blood pressure.

HOW DARE HE GO ON HOLIDAY AT WHEN WE ARE IN A RELEGATIONS CRISIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ODIEGHFEORIHFGOIAEWHFAWEU9OHGF89AWEGHFOWAEHFOAWEHFO0AWEHF09WHFAWE

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 20 Mar 2019 10:52

Don't Panic
muirinho
From Despair To Where?

Fan:
Supporter:

I do know that strap has (or has had) very serious health issues, so I hope that this isn't a dig at strap. I also know many fans who live abroad so the artificial difference you mention between fans and supporters is absolute bollocks.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 20 Mar 2019 11:11

sandman Gomes going back to Portugal for two days. Someone check Strap's blood pressure.

Do you think he will come back? :D

After all the crap he's probably had to deal with since he arrived at Reading, the beaches and warmth of Portugal must be very inviting!

Probably do him the world of good to have a couple of days away from it and to clear his mind for the run in.... zen time!!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Mar 2019 11:53

He's a traitor for leaving his post.

Right?

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 20 Mar 2019 11:56

Every true RFC fan should be hugely grateful to Strap for his meticulous detail to the.... errrr, details regarding RFC.

On another note, I live 3,500 miles away from the 'Ding and have been to nine matches so far this season including aways at Villa, 'Wall, QPR and Ipswich. Does that make me a super-fan or just completely bonkers? *polishes halo*

ps: I'll be back for Preston.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Mar 2019 11:58

Both.

Especially if you travelled juat for the game more than once.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 20 Mar 2019 12:04

Dick Habbin's hairdo Every true RFC fan should be hugely grateful to Strap for his meticulous detail to the.... errrr, details regarding RFC.

On another note, I live 3,500 miles away from the 'Ding and have been to nine matches so far this season including aways at Villa, 'Wall, QPR and Ipswich. Does that make me a super-fan or just completely bonkers? *polishes halo*

You're only a superfan if you desert your club and move to Australia for 10 years without attending games despite presumably flying back to visit family and then blab to the local press about being unable to get a ticket for the Reading v Manchester United premier league fixture because being such a loyal superfan you feel it's your right to get a free ticket at the expense of all those mugs who go to games regularly and supported the team from Division 2 to the Premier League.... only then when you get the free ticket from some misguided local company with a box do you get to call yourself a superfan.

Rant over, just a gripe I still have from a few years back.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 20 Mar 2019 14:57

Hampshire Royal
Don't Panic
muirinho

Fan:
Supporter:

I do know that strap has (or has had) very serious health issues, so I hope that this isn't a dig at strap. I also know many fans who live abroad so the artificial difference you mention between fans and supporters is absolute bollocks.

i'd be at every game if I didn't live 220 miles away and have a young family. In fact, I did travel to every game despite living 220 miles away for about 4 years before it became socially and financially unrealistic and unfair to do so.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 20 Mar 2019 15:12

Don't Panic
muirinho
From Despair To Where?

Fan:
Supporter:

Sorry, but I disagree with those definitions, surely a supporter should be "someone who helps to support a club by paying towards the upkeep of that club" i.e. by paying entrance fees, buying shirts, etc.? But, there again Fan is defined in my dictionary as "enthusiast, supporter, short for fanatic. So they are one and the same.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 21 Mar 2019 06:08

Forbury Lion
Dick Habbin's hairdo Every true RFC fan should be hugely grateful to Strap for his meticulous detail to the.... errrr, details regarding RFC.

You're only a superfan if you desert your club and move to Australia for 10 years without attending games despite presumably flying back to visit family and then blab to the local press about being unable to get a ticket for the Reading v Manchester United premier league fixture because being such a loyal superfan you feel it's your right to get a free ticket at the expense of all those mugs who go to games regularly and supported the team from Division 2 to the Premier League.... only then when you get the free ticket from some misguided local company with a box do you get to call yourself a superfan.

Phew. Thought that was a dig at me for a second there. Wasn't sure I would have been able to recover from a Forbes slap down.

And, ftr, I agree completely with what you say there, I moved 15 years ago and make sure that I get a game in every time I am back, was at Wigan a couple of weeks ago which more than made up for the miserable experience of Barnsley away last year, if I couldn't get a ticket for a big game then tough sht on me.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 21 Mar 2019 09:32

Forbury Lion You're only a superfan if you desert your club and move to Australia for 10 years without attending games despite presumably flying back to visit family and then blab to the local press about being unable to get a ticket for the Reading v Manchester United premier league fixture because being such a loyal superfan you feel it's your right to get a free ticket at the expense of all those mugs who go to games regularly and supported the team from Division 2 to the Premier League.... only then when you get the free ticket from some misguided local company with a box do you get to call yourself a superfan.

That really is posting out of the very top drawer. Incredible and brilliant, both at the same time.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Mar 2019 10:08

This thread demonstrates what a bunch of utter helmets football fans are.

re: strap - whilst he's not everyone's cup of tea no one can accuse him of not being an devoted RFC fan. Certainly not some spotty oik in his 20s who goes to a few away games. Come back in your 60s and tell us how many game you get to.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 21 Mar 2019 16:33

FTR, a true fan in my eyes is anyone - regardless of whether they go to games or not - who answers "Reading FC" whenever asked which team they support.

Of course, the inevitable follow-up question is always: "Yeah, but which 'proper' Premier League team do you support?"

My standard response is at worst to roll my eyes and shuffle off shaking my head or, at best, to go on a rant about "one team for life.... and Celtic."