MATCHWATCH : Leeds United (a) sponsored by Eric Nixon in goal

246 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Leeds United (a) sponsored by Eric Nixon in goal

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Nov 2018 08:29

Snowflake Royal
Hound Not sure what to expect with the team sheet for this, PC completely threw me with that Wigan selection

Surely Aluko can't be another run of games to completely underwhelm, and be a gamble to play RInomhota, Kelly and Swift again really. Got lucky imo against Wigan

maybe something like
Anssi
Gunter Moore O Shea Blackett
Bacuna Swift RInomhota
McCleary Meite Sims

Personally wouldn't mind seeing Yiadom come in for Sims in that team and play 4-4-2, with Swift or Loader/McNulty in behind Meite. Would also rather see Ilori than O Shea, but can't see that happening

My guess would be very little change.

He obviously prefers Aluko to Sims, which I find baffling. Maybe Barrow in for Aluko if he's well again. Maybe Bacuna in for Swift.

Playing Aluko again would be an instant sackable offence for me, no way he can continually get away with it. The only logical explanation left is that Aluko has something in his contract guaranteeing game time or payment if he doesn't play.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Nov 2018 09:12

Don't agree at all. Aluko has just spent half a dozen games not playing. It's just that the people who were keeping him out of the team are injured/sick or playing as striker.

Managers are always conservative. Aluko clearly must have a good attitude in training. And he's experienced, so Clement prefers him to Sims who is young and inexperienced and a bit up and down performance wise. I don't agree with Clement and would never play Aluko again, but I understand his probable reasoning. And given we didn't lose, kept a clean sheet and Aluko apparently wasn't as awful as he often is, I don't see any reason for Clement to drop him unless Barrow is fit.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 Nov 2018 09:37

That Y26 Ultras Twitter account has the Leeds fanbase on strings. It's hilarious

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Nov 2018 09:37

genome That Y26 Ultras Twitter account has the Leeds fanbase on strings. It's hilarious

Thank you.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 27 Nov 2018 09:39

Snowflake Royal Don't agree at all. Aluko has just spent half a dozen games not playing. It's just that the people who were keeping him out of the team are injured/sick or playing as striker.

Managers are always conservative. Aluko clearly must have a good attitude in training. And he's experienced, so Clement prefers him to Sims who is young and inexperienced and a bit up and down performance wise. I don't agree with Clement and would never play Aluko again, but I understand his probable reasoning. And given we didn't lose, kept a clean sheet and Aluko apparently wasn't as awful as he often is, I don't see any reason for Clement to drop him unless Barrow is fit.

Are you mental - good attitude in training does not mean you should start a game. Yes apparently he wasn't awful, we probably should be aiming to achieve a bit more than that. There are more options than Sims available. Even when Sims played, he also wasn't awful.
McNulty could have started with Meite out wide.

I think after half a dozen games not playing, he gets a chance in the starting 11- and he still frustrates. Surely he feels he has something to prove so why doesn't he pick up his performance?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Nov 2018 10:00

Coppells Lost Coat
Snowflake Royal Don't agree at all. Aluko has just spent half a dozen games not playing. It's just that the people who were keeping him out of the team are injured/sick or playing as striker.

Are you mental - good attitude in training does not mean you should start a game. Yes apparently he wasn't awful, we probably should be aiming to achieve a bit more than that. There are more options than Sims available. Even when Sims played, he also wasn't awful.

I think after half a dozen games not playing, he gets a chance in the starting 11- and he still frustrates. Surely he feels he has something to prove so why doesn't he pick up his performance?

If you don't think managers prize experience and a good attitude in training you're mental.

You did see the bit where I said I disagreed with Clement and wouldn't play Aluko right? I just think it's hardly rocket science to understand Clement's reasoning.

I also don't think you're going to see McNulty lead the line anytime soon. He doesn't strike me as suiting it at all. It would mean bumping our main scorer out wide to accommodate someone unsuited to lead the line who hasn't scored yet. It's not really viable.

I'd much rather Sims than Aluko, or even Yiadom or Loader. But it's not hard to work out why Clement has chosen differently and it's certainly not for contract reasons that miraculously weren't a concern three weeks ago. It's because Aluko's worked hard in training and Clement trusts him to do better more than Sims, incorrectly IMO.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 27 Nov 2018 10:30

Snowflake Royal
Coppells Lost Coat

If you don't think managers prize experience and a good attitude in training you're mental.

You did see the bit where I said I disagreed with Clement and wouldn't play Aluko right? I just think it's hardly rocket science to understand Clement's reasoning.

I also don't think you're going to see McNulty lead the line anytime soon. He doesn't strike me as suiting it at all. It would mean bumping our main scorer out wide to accommodate someone unsuited to lead the line who hasn't scored yet. It's not really viable.

I'd much rather Sims than Aluko, or even Yiadom or Loader. But it's not hard to work out why Clement has chosen differently and it's certainly not for contract reasons that miraculously weren't a concern three weeks ago. It's because Aluko's worked hard in training and Clement trusts him to do better more than Sims, incorrectly IMO.

Quick question as I was away the weekend. What flanks did Aluko and McCleary play?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 Nov 2018 10:31

Leeds are allowing pay on the night for away fans tonight, £42 . assholes.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 27 Nov 2018 10:42

Where as Aluko is just down & down.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Nov 2018 12:17

Tilehurstsouthbank

Where as Aluko is just down & down.

Don't disagree. It's not like I'm defending him.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 27 Nov 2018 12:52

If fit I would go for Maccleary to start with Sims on the bench. Possibly.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 27 Nov 2018 13:23

leon If fit I would go for Maccleary to start with Sims on the bench. Possibly.

Yup. I wasn't at Wigan so I'm curious to know who played left or right out of Aluko or McCleary.

I have a theory about why Clement would play Aluko ahead of Sims. It's basically because Clement doesn't want to play two out and out wingers in the same side. Hence if Barrow plays then Sims ( who is an out and out winger) will not. People can continually call Aluko a winger all they want but he clearly isn't and never has been. Certainly not in the same mould as Barrow/Sims/McCleary.

I can't recall it happening at all this season. Given the option he's preferred to start Meite , Baldock and even Bod in that position rather than have 2 of Sims, Barrow and McCleary in the same starting line up.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 Nov 2018 13:24

That's the obvious choice.....Leeds are quite a solid midfield unit and a bit heavyweight....we of course stuff our midfield with powderpuffs.
GM would be first on my teamsheet. In fact if he is fit I would seriously think about putting him in the middle with Swift.
Possibly go with Bacuna McCleary Swift, Rinomhota....but that's me and Im not Clement.

JVDB would have been first on my teamsheet against this lot to sit in front of the back four. I know you all hate him but hes the kind of player we are missing at the mo. He aint pretty but he will put himself about.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 27 Nov 2018 13:30

Ascotexgunner

That's the obvious choice.....Leeds are quite a solid midfield unit and a bit heavyweight....we of course stuff our midfield with powderpuffs.
GM would be first on my teamsheet. In fact if he is fit I would seriously think about putting him in the middle with Swift.
Possibly go with Bacuna McCleary Swift, Rinomhota....but that's me and Im not Clement.

JVDB would have been first on my teamsheet against this lot to sit in front of the back four. I know you all hate him but hes the kind of player we are missing at the mo. He aint pretty but he will put himself about.

And that ball for Barrow last season weren't bad either.....

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 Nov 2018 13:34

Coppells Lost Coat
Ascotexgunner

And that ball for Barrow last season weren't bad either.....

He was my MOTM last season in that game....broke up their play brilliantly.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 27 Nov 2018 14:06

Vision

Yup. I wasn't at Wigan so I'm curious to know who played left or right out of Aluko or McCleary.

I have a theory about why Clement would play Aluko ahead of Sims. It's basically because Clement doesn't want to play two out and out wingers in the same side. Hence if Barrow plays then Sims ( who is an out and out winger) will not. People can continually call Aluko a winger all they want but he clearly isn't and never has been. Certainly not in the same mould as Barrow/Sims/McCleary.

I can't recall it happening at all this season. Given the option he's preferred to start Meite , Baldock and even Bod in that position rather than have 2 of Sims, Barrow and McCleary in the same starting line up.

That's a fair point. Problem is, Aluko does neither winger nor solid right side of midfield well. I'd use Sims in the last 15-20 mins to open up the defence. Baldock and Meite are both busy players and can occupy that space and give some protection to Gunter/Yaidom. The flanks have been a bit porous generally over the last few years.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 27 Nov 2018 14:10

Ascotexgunner JVDB would have been first on my teamsheet against this lot to sit in front of the back four. I know you all hate him but hes the kind of player we are missing at the mo. He aint pretty but he will put himself about.

Still posting complete and utter drivel on here I see.

I've got a good feeling about tonight, think we'll do them 1-2

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Nov 2018 14:12

Ascotexgunner

When do the entries close for worst post of 2018?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Nov 2018 14:23

Leeds will also be without Jamal Blackman, Luke Ayling, Patrick Bamford, Gaetano Berardi and Izzy Brown.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Nov 2018 14:25

Old Man Andrews
Ascotexgunner

When do the entries close for worst post of 2018?

dunno, but thats won it whatever. JVDB could barely run by the end of his time here. Would get absolutely murdered

Yiadom as a RM would be an option for me - 4-4-2 with him and GM as the wide mids. Meite and Swift up front. Yiadom got to be a much better option than useless Aluko

246 posts