246 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Leeds United (a) sponsored by Eric Nixon in goal

by Sutekh » 24 Nov 2018 19:56

When : Tuesday 27th November, 7.45pm
Where : Elland Road, Leeds, LS11 0ES
Capacity : 37,900
Away Stand : John Charles Stand (usually the upper tier towards the South stand)
What might I see in the area : chip balancing artists

It's Leeds so it'll be on Sky. The next attempt to improve on a record of 2 away wins from 29 away midweek league games is on the telly and no silly red button either, as it's Leeds it's proper coverage with slow motion, replays and completely biased commentary, punditry and everything.

Leeds are third three points off the top of the table after beating 10 man Bristol City while Reading were struggling to a point at Wigan. Their last 10 games have seen them record 4 wins and 3 draws so a hell of a lot better than Reading but they have not managed successive league win since August. From what I've heard Leeds work hard, are very fit and can run all day so this is not going to be anything other than an extremely difficult challenge and has the ability to turn it in to an early pre-Christmas stuffing for the Royals if Reading don't get it right. So just what Sky would want for their pundits and all the hundreds of thousands of armchair Leeds fans.

Like Reading Leeds are having a bit of an injury crisis with both senior goalkeepers (Jamal Blackman and Bailey Peacock-Farrell) rated as doubtful for the game. Pontus Jansson is also doubtful with foot injury. Reading have their standard catalogue of woe (now with new added Baldock) so it's anyone's guess, after the team selection for Wigan, what daft line up Paul Clement will put out to defend the club's honour on the telly.

Referee

The Wirral's Premier League referee (well it's Leeds and it's on the telly) Mike Dean has his whistle and notebook already ready for this one.

Previously

11 Mar 2016 > Reading 0-2 Crystal Palace (FA Cup)
19 May 2013 > West Ham United 4-2 Reading
20 Apr 2013 > Norwich City 2-1 Reading
22 Dec 2012 > Manchester City 1-0 Reading
06 Oct 2012 > Swansea City 2-2 Reading
13 Apr 2012 > Southampton 1-3 Reading
07 Mar 2010 > Reading 2-4 Aston Villa (FA Cup)
20 Dec 2008 > Birmingham City 1-3 Reading
30 Jan 2008 > Chelsea 1-0 Reading
01 Jan 2008 > Reading 0-1 Portsmouth
15 Aug 2007 > Reading 1-2 Chelsea
30 Dec 2006 > Manchester United 3-2 Reading
09 Mar 2002 > Reading 0-0 Brighton & Hove Albion
06 Jan 2001 > Reading 3-4 Millwall
21 Nov 1998 > Northampton Town 0-1 Reading

Historically

Games at Elland Road really weren't very common until this century and in total only 12 seasons have been shared by the two clubs with only 3 of those were before 2000. Of the 12 league games played there Reading have won three and lost five so not quite as bad as you'd think but Elland Road is still an intimidating place to go if you're not in the right frame of mind.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)
  6. Did I mention it's live on Sky?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Leeds United (a) sponsored by Eric Nixon in goal

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Nov 2018 21:13

Keep it tight and let them play Stamball for 20 minutes and their fans will turn. They may have won today but their form is shit. I reckon we can get something from the game.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Nov 2018 00:02

Would like to see:

Jaakkola
Ilori
Moore
O'Shea
Gunter

McCleary
Bacuna
Kelly
Meite

Loader
McNulty

Subs
Walker
Yiadom
Blackett
Swift
Sims
Rinomhota
Clement

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Nov 2018 00:12

OH MY GOD MIKE DEAN!!!!!!! If you can't have Coote then have Dean.

finchroyal

by finchroyal » 25 Nov 2018 09:57

Should beat them .
what coach are we all travelling up in?

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 25 Nov 2018 10:00

finchroyal Should beat them .

I am going in C5 with the firm.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Nov 2018 13:18

Leeds' last penalty award came around 400 days ago and 55 games ago, anyone remember what game that was? Odds on to get one on Tuesday

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 25 Nov 2018 16:07

I'm in DST Leconfield for a course this week and was hoping to make it to my first ever RFC game. #plastic. Are tickets usually so expensive? On top of trains and a taxi it's going to cost me upwards of £80. And if I can get off will I be able to buy a ticket on the gate?

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 25 Nov 2018 16:24

Kulshaw72RFC
finchroyal Should beat them .

I am going in C5 with the firm.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Nov 2018 18:09

URZZZZ Leeds' last penalty award came around 400 days ago and 55 games ago, anyone remember what game that was? Odds on to get one on Tuesday

Pretty sure Mike Dean isn't the sort of guy to bring attention on himself by awarding a dodgy penalty to put a stop to that run.

finchroyal

by finchroyal » 25 Nov 2018 19:08

URZZZZ Leeds' last penalty award came around 400 days ago and 55 games ago, anyone remember what game that was? Odds on to get one on Tuesday

i was at the game , pablo side footed , the keeper went down in stages to save it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Nov 2018 13:48

Not sure what to expect with the team sheet for this, PC completely threw me with that Wigan selection

Surely Aluko can't be another run of games to completely underwhelm, and be a gamble to play RInomhota, Kelly and Swift again really. Got lucky imo against Wigan

maybe something like
Anssi
Gunter Moore O Shea Blackett
Bacuna Swift RInomhota
McCleary Meite Sims

Personally wouldn't mind seeing Yiadom come in for Sims in that team and play 4-4-2, with Swift or Loader/McNulty in behind Meite. Would also rather see Ilori than O Shea, but can't see that happening

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Nov 2018 14:04

After his display on Saturday is Jaakkola the undisputed number 1 now?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Nov 2018 14:30

LightwaterRoyal I'm in DST Leconfield for a course this week and was hoping to make it to my first ever RFC game. #plastic. Are tickets usually so expensive? On top of trains and a taxi it's going to cost me upwards of £80. And if I can get off will I be able to buy a ticket on the gate?

LECONFIELD! I was there in the RAF FROM LATE 1964 through to Summer 1970. Had a mate who was a huge Leeds fan and we went to all the home games. Great times, fabulous team. Remember beating Chelsea? 7-0 and WBA? 5-0

Was at Anfield (0-0) when they (Leeds) won the league

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 26 Nov 2018 16:58

Snowball
LightwaterRoyal I'm in DST Leconfield for a course this week and was hoping to make it to my first ever RFC game. #plastic. Are tickets usually so expensive? On top of trains and a taxi it's going to cost me upwards of £80. And if I can get off will I be able to buy a ticket on the gate?

LECONFIELD! I was there in the RAF FROM LATE 1964 through to Summer 1970. Had a mate who was a huge Leeds fan and we went to all the home games. Great times, fabulous team. Remember beating Chelsea? 7-0 and WBA? 5-0

Way before my time. I'm in the Royal Marines doing a minibus course. I have been based in Scotland for 5 years now and before that I lived in Spain so have never had an opportunity to get to a RFC game yet. Unfortunately because I am sitting a driving test the next morning I have a curfew and won't make it back in time on public transport.

mot

by mot » 26 Nov 2018 22:04

Well this is going to go only two ways............either Leeds and Reading play out another incredible boring 0-0 maybe 1-1 draw which these two teams somehow always seem to serve up or Leeds give Reading a proper spanking..........

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Nov 2018 23:09

I think we are going to get a seeing to,

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Nov 2018 23:31

Old Man Andrews After his display on Saturday is Jaakkola the undisputed number 1 now?

On current form he undoubtedly is, still convinced he's average at best though.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 27 Nov 2018 05:03

LightwaterRoyal
Snowball

Way before my time. I'm in the Royal Marines doing a minibus course. I have been based in Scotland for 5 years now and before that I lived in Spain so have never had an opportunity to get to a RFC game yet. Unfortunately because I am sitting a driving test the next morning I have a curfew and won't make it back in time on public transport.

Salute to you both.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Nov 2018 08:21

Hound Not sure what to expect with the team sheet for this, PC completely threw me with that Wigan selection

Surely Aluko can't be another run of games to completely underwhelm, and be a gamble to play RInomhota, Kelly and Swift again really. Got lucky imo against Wigan

maybe something like
Anssi
Gunter Moore O Shea Blackett
Bacuna Swift RInomhota
McCleary Meite Sims

Personally wouldn't mind seeing Yiadom come in for Sims in that team and play 4-4-2, with Swift or Loader/McNulty in behind Meite. Would also rather see Ilori than O Shea, but can't see that happening

My guess would be very little change.

He obviously prefers Aluko to Sims, which I find baffling. Maybe Barrow in for Aluko if he's well again. Maybe Bacuna in for Swift.

246 posts