Walker
Kelly
Meyler
Gunter
John O'Shea
Van Den Berg
Aluko
Popa

Personally I would like to keep hold of Baldock and McCleary off that list. McNulty league depending (even though i like him for what ever reason)
But the rest seems a very plausible. If all of them leave, it does not change our last few match day squads that much and trims quite a fair few millions of the wages and we have plenty in the academy that could make the step up.

Old Man Andrews

Re: Who goes in June?

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Apr 2019 09:27

Coppells Lost Coat
Old Man Andrews Current to go list:

McNulty
Bodvarsson
Baldock
McCleary
McShane
Jaakkola
Walker
Kelly
Meyler
Gunter
John O'Shea
Van Den Berg
Aluko
Popa

Personally I would like to keep hold of Baldock and McCleary off that list. McNulty league depending (even though i like him for what ever reason)
But the rest seems a very plausible. If all of them leave, it does not change our last few match day squads that much and trims quite a fair few millions of the wages and we have plenty in the academy that could make the step up.

Think we have to assume we will be ok now based upon our upturn in form, points difference to Rotherham and our respective remaining games. I based it upon us staying up.

McCleary is an interesting one but he is old and banged up now. He should go to League 1 for a couple of years and rip it up and enjoy his football.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Who goes in January?

by Hound » 04 Apr 2019 09:31

He’s one of those who I think it’s good to have around the squad and does provide some use as well. He’s played ok this season

May as well keep hold for one last year

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Apr 2019 09:39

I hold McCleary with a lot of sentimental value. He is probably on quite a high wage so maybe if he takes a cut it would be good to keep him as an older, experienced head.

If not, does he go to Oxford?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Apr 2019 09:50

John Smith I hold McCleary with a lot of sentimental value. He is probably on quite a high wage so maybe if he takes a cut it would be good to keep him as an older, experienced head.

If Oxford continue on the path they are going down then nobody will be going to Oxford. They will be going straight to the non-league.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 04 Apr 2019 10:34

Worth factoring in length of contract remaining.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 04 Apr 2019 10:35

John Smith I hold McCleary with a lot of sentimental value. He is probably on quite a high wage so maybe if he takes a cut it would be good to keep him as an older, experienced head.

McCleary has a year remaining still - why would he/should he even countenance a pay cut?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Apr 2019 10:53

Platypuss

McCleary has a year remaining still - why would he/should he even countenance a pay cut?

You'd have to ask him that.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 04 Apr 2019 11:12

Why? I asked you.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Apr 2019 11:14

Because I'm not Garath McCleary, I'm John Smith.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Apr 2019 13:52

Ok, so not sure whose contract is up which obviously plays a huge role. I doubt we can afford to pay up many contracts.

GK
Jaakkola is ooc so realistically he's going. He's in his 30s and can't pass out. Shame, because he's adequate back up in a more direct style
Walker bit of an unknown, if we can identify a good keeper to bring in he should be loan or sold

FB
Gunter & Watson - one has to go really. Gunter's short term but definitely adequate cover, Watson long term if up to it. Either way we only need cover so we don't want to be spending on a new RB
Blackett, Obita, Richards - at least one needs to go at least on loan, depends on Obita's. If he recovers we could afford to sell Blackett or loan Richards, if he doesn't we need to keep Blackett - we have enough holes to fill without adding LB

CB
McShane - out
O'Shea - out
If we can get £3m+ Moore should go providing we can sign Miazga

CM
If we can make money on Kelly, fine given how frozen out he is, if not he's good cover
Meyler - out
Berg - out

ACM
If we can get £2-3m Swift should go

FW
If we can get £3-4m Barrow should go
Aluko - out
Harriott is adequate back up, similar McCleary and Meite, one of the three would be ok as first choice - you can at least rely on them all for effort

ST
McNulty - if we can get £500k+ we should take it, but if not give him another go. Hibs won't afford him
Baldock - if we can get money for him he should go
Bod - if we can get money for him he should go
Loader should go on loan
Nova should stay, but may leave, if he does it better be £2m+
We probably need one of Bod, McNulty and Baldock to stay, maybe 2 if Nova goes.

I've probably forgot people.
We need to focus on signing:

GK - Martinez would be great
CB, maybe 2 - Miazga would be great
CM, at least 2 - Eza and Baker would do
Maybe ACM - Ejaria would do, promote Holsgrove?
FW, maybe 2
ST (Oliveira), maybe 2

I'd probably let Barrett go, probably some more of the youth.. Frost maybe...

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 04 Apr 2019 13:57

Coppells Lost Coat

McNulty
Bodvarsson
Baldock
McCleary
McShane
Jaakkola
Walker
Kelly
Meyler
Gunter
John O'Shea
Van Den Berg
Aluko
Popa

McNulty is interesting to me. Scored a lot at Coventry, scored enough at Hibs to get a Scotland call up. (Cough)... I accept League 2 is a lower standard and the Scottish premier is a very mixed league, but it says he can score goals.

When he was here we were woeful and hardly created anything. If we get our midfield settled and functioning properly next season, I would be interested to see if he could cut it in the Championship playing in a team that creates chances. Can't help thinking timing has been against him at Reading and if you scored 25 one season and hardly get a chance the next that must affect his confidence. Not surprised he has gone to Scotland played regularly and started scoring.

I know we have striker options including Nova next season, but unless he's a bad apple around the changing room, would be interested to see him stay to see what he could do in a progressive team.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Apr 2019 14:01

Snowflake Royal Ok, so not sure whose contract is up which obviously plays a huge role. I doubt we can afford to pay up many contracts.

GK
Jaakkola is ooc so realistically he's going. He's in his 30s and can't pass out. Shame, because he's adequate back up in a more direct style
Walker bit of an unknown, if we can identify a good keeper to bring in he should be loan or sold

Jaakkola should be given another year, and then get a first team goalie in. Sell Walker, sell Mannone, and then have Southwood etc as third choice for one more season

FB
Gunter & Watson - one has to go really. Gunter's short term but definitely adequate cover, Watson long term if up to it. Either way we only need cover so we don't want to be spending on a new RB
Blackett, Obita, Richards - at least one needs to go at least on loan, depends on Obita's. If he recovers we could afford to sell Blackett or loan Richards, if he doesn't we need to keep Blackett - we have enough holes to fill without adding LB

Watson isn't liked by Wimbledon fans, I always thought he was pretty solid so that surprised me. But if FFP is a problem, maybe cutting ties with Gunter is sensible now. Obita is finished, even if he recovers, he'll never be the same as he once was IMO. Loan out Richards and get a LB in

CB
McShane - out
O'Shea - out
If we can get £3m+ Moore should go providing we can sign Miazga

3m+ in today's market would be an absolute steal for Moore, he's worth at least 7 or 8 and that's from someone who thinks he's overrated. Bit worried that we're kicking out all the experienced pros here, but if they're on highish wages, it makes sense

CM
If we can make money on Kelly, fine given how frozen out he is, if not he's good cover
Meyler - out
Berg - out

Agreed. Think Joey could do a job but that won't ever happen. Meyler is a weird one but can't see him playing for us again

ACM
If we can get £2-3m Swift should go

Again, too little IMO, we should be looking at 5 million minimum

FW
If we can get £3-4m Barrow should go
Aluko - out
Harriott is adequate back up, similar McCleary and Meite, one of the three would be ok as first choice - you can at least rely on them all for effort

Agreed

ST
McNulty - if we can get £500k+ we should take it, but if not give him another go. Hibs won't afford him
Baldock - if we can get money for him he should go
Bod - if we can get money for him he should go
Loader should go on loan
Nova should stay, but may leave, if he does it better be £2m+
We probably need one of Bod, McNulty and Baldock to stay, maybe 2 if Nova goes.

Bod should be kept, he's a class championship striker. Baldock is good in a 4-4-2 which we don't play, so he needs to go. Would keep McNulty

I've probably forgot people.
We need to focus on signing:

GK - Martinez would be great
CB, maybe 2 - Miazga would be great
CM, at least 2 - Eza and Baker would do
Maybe ACM - Ejaria would do, promote Holsgrove?
FW, maybe 2
ST (Oliveira), maybe 2

I'd probably let Barrett go, probably some more of the youth.. Frost maybe...

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Apr 2019 14:03

Snowflake Royal Ok, so not sure whose contract is up which obviously plays a huge role. I doubt we can...

You basically said we should sell the whole squad in that post. Which we should.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Apr 2019 14:09

Can’t see why we would give away players on the cheap and rip holes in the squad.
I hope whoever makes the decisions does with a view to building a competitive squad rather than just random guesses.
If we give Moore, Swift and Barrow away for less than £8 million we would deserve to get relegated next season.
£500kfor McNulty given he is now a full international and scoring goals is just crazy.
Without full
Knowledge of the FFP situation it’s next to impossible to know what our strategy will be although Gomes clearly believes the work done in January plus staying up means he will have scope to build his squad in the summer.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 04 Apr 2019 14:13

Old Man Andrews
linkenholtroyal

McNulty
Bodvarsson
Baldock
McCleary
McShane
Jaakkola
Walker
Kelly
Meyler
Gunter
John O'Shea

Aluko, JVDB, Popa I would also add to the list

Completely forgotten any of them exist.

I forgot Smith and the Gravenberch aswell myself. interestingly Gravenberch has played 30 games in Belgian this year and they seem quite fond of him. not saying hes an option but atleast he has had some game time.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 04 Apr 2019 14:38

In an ideal world.....
Next Season

GK
Martinez (season long loan or buy)
Walker
1 of the academy guys probably Ward looking good at Forest Green

DL
Obita
Blackett

DR
Yiadom
Watson

DC
Moore
Miazga (Season long loan or buy)
New CB
Academy Product

CM
Baker (Buy or season long loan)
Rinhomota
Kelly

ACM
Swift
Anew ACM or EJaria

Wide ACM
Barrow
Meite
McCleary (One more year unless someone offers 1 million plus for him)
Harriott
Ejaria or one other option potentially lower league starlet

CF
Oliveira (Must buy him if we have the option)
and any 2 of Bod, Baldock, Mcnulty and Nova
let Smith go and loan Loader

This is a sensible size squad and all the players we would probably want to keep, everything else can go to be sold to the highest bidder to pay for the missing positions stated above. realistically getting rid of everyone not on here that is a senior player. moralistically we potentially will lose a third of the wage bill and a competitive not overly inflated squad.

CB is the biggest worry, Patrick Bauer is out of contract at Charlton, Tommy Elphick if he can stay fit as back up is free aswell,
Winger Luciano Narsingh is a free agent at Swansea wages maybe a bit costly though

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Apr 2019 15:25

If we sold Swift for £2m, and Moore for £3m that'd be appalling business. Moore has quietly been excellent since Miazga came in

Reckon you could £1m for McNulty, 500-1m for Kelly, 1-2 for Bod or Baldock, 500k - £1m for Gunter and £2m for Nova if he doesn't come back. That'd give a nice little kitty without really weakening us too much. Plus the wages savings on McShane, O Shea, Joey (who is out of contract and certainly won't come back), and whatever we can get for any out of favour youngsters

Gravenberch is out of contract as well in the summer

Obita and McCleary have one year left of presumably quite lucrative contracts. They'll probably stay to see them out

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Apr 2019 17:05

Blackett should stay, if only as versatile cover, at LB/CB. Is tall, and don't want to lose that.

Moore can go, imo. At end of day, don't see the production, in either box, that his wages demand. Replace with taller.

If we sell Swift, I'll be wanting to know who will replace him? I'm all for upgrading positions, but not sure we have anyone currently that can do what he does, and finding a better (and cheap?) replacement out there won't be easy. His strength, durability and conditioning has improved. Intrigued by what he could do after a full pre-season with Gomes. (If he goes, we may have to change the way we play somewhat?)

Bod is decent when available, but fragile. Could be wrong, but don't really see that changing as starter in Champ twice a week. So, rather than being 'the man', could maybe have a role rotating with Nelson and Meite, which may suit him better, less wear and tear, keep him fresh.

No mention of Eza?
Last edited by Denver Royal on 04 Apr 2019 17:30, edited 3 times in total.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Apr 2019 17:10

https://twitter.com/pott95/status/1113820158991241216

Sounds plausible. Wonder who it could be.