NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Stokies

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Dec 2018 14:46

John Smith
NewCorkSeth
John Smith
What drivel :D :D

You don't think? McCleary always put in a shift in terms of defensive work. Maybe it's just because every other winger we've had since he joined (bar Jobi) was poor at defending that I think that.

The furthest back he could go is a RWB. Is that a defender? Or would you have him partnering Moore?

Oh I see the confusion. I was trying to say "he's handy enough a defender to play the CM slot". I don't want to play him in defence. In fact I don't want to play him in CM. I'm just saying he has the relevant skills to play there and with our current formation requiring 3 CMs he might actually do a better job there than Swift or Kelly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Dec 2018 18:29

To be fair, McCleary has played right back in emergencies Iirc.

I don't think he liked it. I could see him transitioning to extend his career potentially.

But not central midfield. Full back is one of the easier positions to play... midfield is one of the hardest IMO. Just look at Obita's forays there... not exactly inspiring.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Dec 2018 18:46

Snowflake Royal To be fair, McCleary has played right back in emergencies Iirc.

I don't think he liked it. I could see him transitioning to extend his career potentially.

But not central midfield. Full back is one of the easier positions to play... midfield is one of the hardest IMO. Just look at Obita's forays there... not exactly inspiring.

Interesting. I always thought that DMs and FB/WBs have to have almost identical skill sets(crossing and speed being more important for FB/WBs and aerial ability and strength for DMs) and would have said FB/WB is one of the hardest positions to play well. Sure you can do a job there but being excellent there is so tough.

Edit. Shit I forgot to ask my original question. What do you think McCleary lacks to be able to play there?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Dec 2018 18:49

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal To be fair, McCleary has played right back in emergencies Iirc.

Interesting. I always thought that DMs and FB/WBs have to have almost identical skill sets(crossing and speed being more important for FB/WBs and aerial ability and strength for DMs) and would have said FB/WB is one of the hardest positions to play well
. Sure you can do a job there but being excellent there is so tough.

Technical skill sets are one thing, but a huge part of the game is mental. Awareness, positioning and decision making are absolutely key in central midfield. You go from only really having to worry about play in two directions as fullback (up and in field) to having to worry about 360° in midfield.

That's why Malcos get dumped at fullback in school. Least important position.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 04 Dec 2018 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Dec 2018 18:50

Soz Snowflake I went back and edited my response to ask my original question!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Dec 2018 18:54

NewCorkSeth Soz Snowflake I went back and edited my response to ask my original question!

I think McCleary enjoys taking people on and attacking first and foremost. In midfield you need to be more restrained and disciplined. Wingers often wander a bit positionally. A midfielder who does that becomes a liability unless they play a very specific role. Having played his trade as a winger mostly, and joined the professional leagues late, I think he'd struggle with the experience and ability to play the midfield role with the discipline, Awareness and restraint necessary.

Plus he's a bit fragile for the hustle and bustle of midfield.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Dec 2018 18:58

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Soz Snowflake I went back and edited my response to ask my original question!

I think McCleary enjoys taking people on and attacking first and foremost. In midfield you need to be more restrained and disciplined. Wingers often wander a bit positionally. A midfielder who does that becomes a liability unless they play a very specific role. Having played his trade as a winger mostly, and joined the professional leagues late, I think he'd struggle with the experience and ability to play the midfield role with the discipline, Awareness and restraint necessary.

Maybe I'm just bitter because I play FB (when I play...)

Final question: what is a Malcos?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Dec 2018 19:01

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

Maybe I'm just bitter because I play FB (when I play...)

Final question: what is a Malcos?

Malcoordinated people.

I also play fullback... Because at school I was a malco. :wink:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Dec 2018 19:29

Ha I was an FB as well :)

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Dec 2018 08:42

HNA? only FBs 5 a side team in the making.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 05 Dec 2018 23:59

So Referee Coote's reward for an absolutely calamitous display in this game was to officiate the Fulham-Leicester Premier League game.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Dec 2018 08:05

sandman So Referee Coote's reward for an absolutely calamitous display in this game was to officiate the Fulham-Leicester Premier League game.

Excuse me?????? That was a fantastic refereeing display. What did I miss?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Dec 2018 11:33

Old Man Andrews
sandman So Referee Coote's reward for an absolutely calamitous display in this game was to officiate the Fulham-Leicester Premier League game.

Obviously everything he missed..

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 06 Dec 2018 12:23

Old Man Andrews

He was poor mate. At first I thought he was letting the game flow but he didn't give anything. I know he's your hero but Stevie Wonder would've officiated better.

154 posts