Are we really going down this season

247 posts
Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Are we really going down this season

by Muskrat » 23 Dec 2018 18:20

andrew1957 When Clement was here most seemed to think we had a 50 50 chance of staying up. I reckon that with recent results and a manager who will have to adapt to this division we are now 95% to go down.

And I used to be called an RTG.

This. Clement was our best bet of avoiding relegation. Not ideal but our best bet. Now I reckon we're doomed.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Dec 2018 18:24

Muskrat
andrew1957 When Clement was here most seemed to think we had a 50 50 chance of staying up. I reckon that with recent results and a manager who will have to adapt to this division we are now 95% to go down.

This. Clement was our best bet of avoiding relegation. Not ideal but our best bet. Now I reckon we're doomed.

Our best bet? Was he fcuk. He was more than likely going to relegate us. Don’t just rewrite history because the current predicament hasn’t thus far panned out like anyone expected.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 23 Dec 2018 18:36

Lower West
sandman Yes, because even when we have a good performance like Yesterday we still lose.

Better performance than many. Still too many careless passes / errors. No ability to adapt when under a high press. Never keep clean sheets if you gift the opposition the ball close to your own box. Lack of a cutting offensive edge to create good chances. All signs of a team that's struggling.

Yep, gIven we seem incapable of keeping clean sheets, we need to score a few goals, yet the way we were set up yesterday wasn’t going to achieve that. We could likely have played til next week and still not scored. On the coach down, reckon Pullis figured one goal might win it, and it was no surprise (to me) that it did.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Dec 2018 18:54

CountryRoyal
Muskrat

Our best bet? Was he fcuk. He was more than likely going to relegate us. Don’t just rewrite history because the current predicament hasn’t thus far panned out like anyone expected.

If you look at it from the point of view that we now know what our best alternative is, given we hired them after three games without a formal manager, I think it's not a big leap to say Clement was our best bet. I'd certainly rate his chances higher than Gomes based on what we know of the two, he was trying to do a lot of things I thought were needed and I was encouraged. I think he'd have won more than one point in the last three games, maybe up to four. Although hard to say given the complete collapse of our attacking and defending options at the time he went.

We'll have to wait and see on Gomes and we'll never know how we'd have done under Clement, but you can't really say we had any other real options between the two seeing as we hired Gomes. And he's back to talking about playing out from the back and controlling the game, which is what got us in the mess Clement was trying to fix in the first place.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Dec 2018 19:10

CountryRoyal
Muskrat

No one is rewriting history. The performances under him were improving and many said so at the time

And I think it’s panned out very close to how many people imagined when Castro was first linked

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 23 Dec 2018 19:29

The available evidence suggests very strongly that PC was the better of the options for keeping us up! He won't get a chance to prove it, but JG will and l don't believe he can do it personally.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Dec 2018 19:48

For those confident that we'll stay up, Millwall are a whopping 9/2 to go down, compared to our 8/13.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Dec 2018 20:14

Pepe the Horseman For those confident that we'll stay up, Millwall are a whopping 9/2 to go down, compared to our 8/13.

WOW, just WOW

If we win at Millwall (just saying) they will be 4/6 and we will be 5/1

Any mathematicians can work out what that means for odds on the Millwall Match?

Millwall at 9/2 to go down is seriously good odds when compared to ours.

Do the bookies know our secret plan?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Dec 2018 20:19

Hound
CountryRoyal
Muskrat

No one is rewriting history. The performances under him were improving and many said so at the time

And I think it’s panned out very close to how many people imagined when Castro was first linked

Were performances really improving? If they were it was marginal and we were still struggling to pick up points.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Dec 2018 20:20

Snowball
Pepe the Horseman For those confident that we'll stay up, Millwall are a whopping 9/2 to go down, compared to our 8/13.

WOW, just WOW

Bizarre odds. If Millwall were 7/8 points ahead of us then fair enough.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Dec 2018 20:21

Well, think that was the perception from a lot of the fans - if not all in here. Personally I thought they were, and could see a positive direction for the team

Either way, it wasnt re-writing history as people were saying it at the time

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Dec 2018 20:23

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
Muskrat

If you look at it from the point of view that we now know what our best alternative is, given we hired them after three games without a formal manager, I think it's not a big leap to say Clement was our best bet. I'd certainly rate his chances higher than Gomes based on what we know of the two, he was trying to do a lot of things I thought were needed and I was encouraged. I think he'd have won more than one point in the last three games, maybe up to four. Although hard to say given the complete collapse of our attacking and defending options at the time he went.

We'll have to wait and see on Gomes and we'll never know how we'd have done under Clement, but you can't really say we had any other real options between the two seeing as we hired Gomes. And he's back to talking about playing out from the back and controlling the game, which is what got us in the mess Clement was trying to fix in the first place.

Hang on to you chair. I agree

Let's talk complete logic and points. Clement was getting better play AND better results. He had moved us from bottom to fourth bottom. To be pedantic all he had to do was equal that (relative to others) and we would be 4th, 5th or 6th bottom by season's end.

Had he done that, I think next year we'd've been OK, maybe challenging the following year.

The new anger may be Jesus, he may be a disaster, but it means "more change" more personal changes and greater risk.

Short term I would have kept Clement unless I wanted Big Sam or someone to "be sure of keeping us up"

I think Parky or Bruce would have kept us up also, although, to reiterate, I think PC would have kept us up

If, for the sake of argument, the new man can get 30 points in 23 games and we stay up, THEN the difference is we might just have a pleasing style which (just might) let us do a Wolves.

I don't have any personal belief that WILL happen

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Dec 2018 20:24

Zip
Snowball

WOW, just WOW

Bizarre odds. If Millwall were 7/8 points ahead of us then fair enough.

I think that (kind of) means a win at Millwall is "worth" 20-1

Glory Boy

by Glory Boy » 24 Dec 2018 13:09

From Premier League to National League relegation from the Championship to Division One must be the worst relegation to suffer by a country mile. One season playing Villa,Leeds, Sheffields United and Wednesday,Notts Forest, Derby and then next season Fleetwood, Burton Albion, Scunthorpe, Rochdale, Gillingham and Southend. Huge difference in club stature and support. If Pompey and Sunderland get promoted it will look even more grim.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 25 Dec 2018 14:40

I actually feel like we're worse than last season seeing this lot

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 25 Dec 2018 14:44

Glory Boy From Premier League to National League relegation from the Championship to Division One must be the worst relegation to suffer by a country mile. One season playing Villa,Leeds, Sheffields United and Wednesday,Notts Forest, Derby and then next season Fleetwood, Burton Albion, Scunthorpe, Rochdale, Gillingham and Southend. Huge difference in club stature and support. If Pompey and Sunderland get promoted it will look even more grim.

We'd be arguably the biggest club in league 1 if that happened!

Playing those big clubs and ones like Middlesbrough, West Brom and Stoke to the possibility of facing Accrington Stanley, possibly Lincoln and Mansfield. God help us!

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 25 Dec 2018 15:06

Muskrat

I always thought he was the best way of guaranteeing it tbh.

biff

by biff » 25 Dec 2018 21:42

Just bingeing the Sunderland doc on Netflix. Mirrors us in many ways, and it's oxf*rd bleak watching.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Dec 2018 22:10

biff Just bingeing the Sunderland doc on Netflix. Mirrors us in many ways, and it's oxf*rd bleak watching.

Watched the first 2 of that so far

Great watching.
Pretty different situation from us so far imo, other than we are both crap.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 27 Dec 2018 15:55

Having looked at the remaining fixtures for this season I am finding it hard to see where Reading will pick up any points.

Maybe the match against Bolton and thats all folks.

At least the tickets will be cheaper next season :roll:

247 posts