Are we really going down this season

247 posts
Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Are we really going down this season

by Maneki Neko » 02 Jan 2019 15:23

genome I quite like the cut of Gomes' jib to be honest

everything he has said since joining is spot on tbf.
I'm cautiously optimistic, but will need to see him doing good things as well as saying them before I jump aboard

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 02 Jan 2019 16:09

I really wouldn’t be surprised if we fail to win another game this season. The only hope was we got a decent manager in who could turn things around. Instead they make the worst appointment in the clubs history. An unknown with a proven track record of failure and no clue of the championship. I’ve been going to watch Reading FC since 1978 and I have suffered some really miserable times including the club folding altogether, but this tops the lot. To think that lot who wore the shirt yesterday pick up massive six figure salaries just makes me feel sick to the stomach. And for those who think we we will bounce straight back up Forest Leeds and Sheffield United spent several seasons in league one and they are way bigger than us. Once relegated there will be wholesale redundancies a massive wagebiill to trim the owners may well cut there losses and place the club into administration. A ten point deduction transfer embargo and relegation to league two. The ground sold off we become tenants like Coventry and play our home games at Aldershot. Happy New Year

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Jan 2019 16:11

agree with all of that except
Instead they make the worst appointment in the clubs history

we literally have no idea how good he is, or how good a job he will do.

defo think we would have done better with someone with championship experience who can get shit teams organised to grind out the required results though

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Jan 2019 16:13

Jackson Corner I really wouldn’t be surprised if we fail to win another game this season. The only hope was we got a decent manager in who could turn things around. Instead they make the worst appointment in the clubs history. An unknown with a proven track record of failure and no clue of the championship. I’ve been going to watch Reading FC since 1978 and I have suffered some really miserable times including the club folding altogether, but this tops the lot. To think that lot who wore the shirt yesterday pick up massive six figure salaries just makes me feel sick to the stomach. And for those who think we we will bounce straight back up Forest Leeds and Sheffield United spent several seasons in league one and they are way bigger than us. Once relegated there will be wholesale redundancies a massive wagebiill to trim the owners may well cut there losses and place the club into administration. A ten point deduction transfer embargo and relegation to league two. The ground sold off we become tenants like Coventry and play our home games at Aldershot. Happy New Year

Happy new year. :D

Diablo Diablo

by Diablo Diablo » 02 Jan 2019 16:24

Given the gap between ourselves and safety is growing, our next few league fixtures and Rotherham 4th bottom play three of their next four league matches against Ipswich, Millwall and Wigan it would appear that the end of the first week of February could be pretty decisive regardless of how many games there are to come.

Last season we relied on other results - this year we have to be winning matches consistently as we have to climb up the table and this does not look likely.

Prepare for League one ....

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Jan 2019 16:32

Maneki Neko agree with all of that except

defo think we would have done better with someone with championship experience who can get shit teams organised to grind out the required results though

If only Steve Bruce had been available....oh wait.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2019 16:32

windermereROYAL

If only Steve Bruce had been available....oh wait.

only in February though...bit of a weird one that...

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 02 Jan 2019 16:35

"... I have suffered some really miserable times including the club folding altogether..."

Uh?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Jan 2019 16:37

Fan base of most clubs go thru it. Players not fit to wear shirt, overpaid, etc.
No idea if we'll go down. For starters, nobody knows what business we'll do in Jan window. May have a better idea come Feb 1st. Also starting to get some players back from injury.
Whether we go down also related/dependent on how other teams do around us. Rovrum, Bolton struggling (likely won't spend). Wigan may get sucked in, etc. Lots could happen.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 02 Jan 2019 17:33

Yes, I suggest you change the title to "We are really going down this season".
Steve Bruce announced as new Sheffield Wednesday manager. I am one of those fans who did not want him at Reading. Now we will see if a manager who knows the Championship can do better than one who dosn't even know England, let alone English football. I've got a feeling that I may change my mind about Steve Bruce.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jan 2019 17:48

You can still judge the appointment on the perceived logic and thinking behind it though can't you?

From the outside it certainly seems to be a bold and risky appointment and one that doesn't stack up as well as most that I can remember.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Jan 2019 18:06

Hoop Blah

You can still judge the appointment on the perceived logic and thinking behind it though can't you?

Yes, you can. And, we have. Over and over again, with usually the same half dozen concerns being raised.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jan 2019 18:09

Denver Royal
Hoop Blah You can still judge the appointment on the perceived logic and thinking behind it though can't you?

Yes, you can. And, we have. Over and over again, with usually the same half dozen concerns being raised.

Great, thanks for the clarification. Anything you want to add to the conversation?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Jan 2019 18:16

Hoop Blah
Denver Royal
Hoop Blah You can still judge the appointment on the perceived logic and thinking behind it though can't you?

Great, thanks for the clarification. Anything you want to add to the conversation?

What, that it's a 'bold and risky appointment'? Yes, I agree with you, and I can't really add much to that which hasn't already been said.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2019 18:39

Denver Royal
Hoop Blah

Well if people would stop arguing against the poor quality of the appointment by saying 'but we don't know yet', it would probably get mentioned less.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Jan 2019 18:47

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal

Well if people would stop arguing against the poor quality of the appointment by saying 'but we don't know yet', it would probably get mentioned less.

I get the concerns, but not sure it has to be binary. Battle lines drawn in the sand, etc. There's some middle ground. For example, even if he's successful, it would still have been a 'bold and risky appointment' at the time, in my mind. That won't change, regardless.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2019 18:50

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal Yes, you can. And, we have. Over and over again, with usually the same half dozen concerns being raised.

I get the concerns, but not sure it has to be binary. Battle lines drawn in the sand, etc. There's some middle ground. For example, even if he's successful, it would still have been a 'bold and risky appointment' at the time, in my mind. That won't change, regardless.

Yeah, success doesn't change the quality of the initial appointment. I don't think I'm making it binary (or boolean).

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 02 Jan 2019 18:55

Had it on good authority (albeit 2nd hand) that 7 players have been released this morning. Sorry I have no names, merely that number. Probably pretty easy to make an educated guess. I would have thought there would have been more than that, but maybe more will follow as the window develops?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2019 19:02

strap Had it on good authority (albeit 2nd hand) that 7 players have been released this morning. Sorry I have no names, merely that number. Probably pretty easy to make an educated guess. I would have thought there would have been more than that, but maybe more will follow as the window develops?

Seems unlikely given we'd have to pay up their contracts anyway and considering how many injuries we've got.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2019 19:18

Snowflake Royal
strap Had it on good authority (albeit 2nd hand) that 7 players have been released this morning. Sorry I have no names, merely that number. Probably pretty easy to make an educated guess. I would have thought there would have been more than that, but maybe more will follow as the window develops?

Seems unlikely given we'd have to pay up their contracts anyway and considering how many injuries we've got.

An imagine 7 being told they can go, but that’s obvs different to being released

247 posts
It is currently 29 Mar 2024 15:30