Re: Are we really going down this season

by Elm Park Kid » 03 Jan 2019 10:50

All but confirmed that a large number will be leaving:

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2019/j ... m-players/

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Jan 2019 10:58

Well, Gomes certainly talks a good game and strategy but (cynic hat on) we have heard this sort of stuff before.
Let's hope this is for real although I find it very difficult to believe that after just over a week a new manager can readily reach such conclusions and decisions.
He must be having advice and the concern to me is not Gomes but about those giving the advice.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 03 Jan 2019 10:59

Unconfirmed reports on twitter saying McShane, Mannone, And O.Shea have been told they can go, and Sims as gone back to Southampton.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Jan 2019 11:00

Well, who knew?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Jan 2019 11:01

Elm Park Kid All but confirmed that a large number will be leaving:

As much as his appointment was baffling to me, this is basically what I've been saying for some time.

José Gomes been working intensely with this squad of players throughout a hectic festive fixture schedule, ever since meeting them for the first time on Christmas Eve.

And with the January transfer window now open, he has had to make some tough decisions to kick-start a process which has to see our squad size scaled down with a view to potentially adding more quality in the weeks ahead.

“The January transfer window. We are working on what we can do with the board of directors. It is normal for a club in the position we are in to think about improving the squad,” he said after our New Year’s Day defeat to Swansea City.

“But definitely the number of players we have in our squad is very, very high. We must reduce the number of players and, after that, try to bring some more players in who can have an immediate impact and help us be strong.

“We take it step by step. Now the step is to reduce the number of players we have. We cannot play like a team, feel the team spirit if we have too many players. Because, sooner or later, the players who are not in the matchday squad don’t feel part of the team any more.

"And we must look at the complete picture too. If you have too many players in your first team, it is difficult to find space for the Under-23s - even if they are good players!

"I like to work with young players. And if they deserve it, I will give them the chance. But first we need to look at the big picture and the first step is to reduce the number of players. I have it clear in my head how to do this.

“We have started the process - before training on Wednesday, I called some players in to speak with them.

“Maybe it will feel a bit unfair for some players, but I am here to win.”

I'm rarely one for knee jerk solutions but in all honesty, even if this backfires for the remainder of the season, I really don't think we have that much to lose. Something needs to change in and around our first team and hopefully this statement indicates where we're heading.

I mean it's basically where we said we were intending to go when BT announced Stam so it will be interesting to see if we hold our nerve this time and don't get side tracked by getting close to the filthy Premier League lucre.

Somehow I don't think that's anything we need to be concerned about for a while

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Jan 2019 11:08

Vision I'm rarely one for knee jerk solutions but in all honesty, even if this backfires for the remainder of the season, I really don't think we have that much to lose. Something needs to change in and around our first team and hopefully this statement indicates where we're heading.

I totally agree with the idea and the logic, and it's another bold step, and we certainly need to do something. Another really positive aspect to this* is that it shows the owners are willing to put their hand in their pocket to support the manager. Paying off those players listed will cost a fair bit but won't have any tangible benefit to most.

* If they're paying players off and not just telling them they can go if they find somewhere.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 03 Jan 2019 11:08

Its all very well saying the players can go, but what is the process for making sure they do go? Or is this just another rebranding of Burns' deathrow 5?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2019 11:10

absolutely the right thing to do. Now the challenge of finding them new clubs

Whose job is that nowadays I wonder? BT behind the scenes?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 03 Jan 2019 11:12

Jackson Corner
East Grinstead Royal "... I have suffered some really miserable times including the club folding altogether..."

Uh?

1983 when Maxwell wanted to merge with Oxford. Trust me for a few months it really looked like the end for Reading.

So, like a lot of us on here you didn't see the club fold altogether?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Jan 2019 11:12

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Its all very well saying the players can go, but what is the process for making sure they do go? Or is this just another rebranding of Burns' deathrow 5?

Well that's what we don't know at the moment isn't it?

It could be they're agreeing a pay off so that they can leave as a free agent right away. It could be that they've been told they'll not be considered part of the squad anymore so they should find themselves a new club and a good deal can be made whilst they train on their own. Or it could be that they'll carry on as they are but with the knowledge that they can move on if something comes up.

It sounds more like the first or second option from what's been said so far. Time will tell.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 03 Jan 2019 11:40

So a player like OShea.
We're going to be his last worthwhile contract - we're going to have to pay off the whole lot his contract aren't we?
McShane's also done nothing recently to suggest any sideways move is possible.
Im not sure that what Gomes is saying is that we're going to sell these players. Im all for just letting them rot, however, so their agents are forced to do something

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2019 11:50

Dr_Hfuhruhurr So a player like OShea.
We're going to be his last worthwhile contract - we're going to have to pay off the whole lot his contract aren't we?
McShane's also done nothing recently to suggest any sideways move is possible.
Im not sure that what Gomes is saying is that we're going to sell these players. Im all for just letting them rot, however, so their agents are forced to do something

tbh, O Shea, McShane, Jaakola, Edwards and Harriott all have 5 months left of their contract. They'd prob all hold out to be paid in full, but its not a massive cost. Better than having them hanging around not playing. (Harriott looks like he'll stay though, possibly Anssi)

Getting rid of someone like Aluko is a different matter entirely

Apparently Pelle Clement has already joined Stam at Zwolle. Guessing Sims is back at Soton. That'd be 2 more gone

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Jan 2019 12:14

Hound tbh, O Shea, McShane, Jaakola, Edwards and Harriott all have 5 months left of their contract. They'd prob all hold out to be paid in full, but its not a massive cost. Better than having them hanging around not playing. (Harriott looks like he'll stay though, possibly Anssi)

It'll probably be in excess of £1m/£1.5m though, for no other benefit than not having people around. That's a significant investment in the culture and balance of the squad even before we then have to replace those players.

IF, that's how we're doing it of course.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2019 12:17

Hoop Blah
Hound tbh, O Shea, McShane, Jaakola, Edwards and Harriott all have 5 months left of their contract. They'd prob all hold out to be paid in full, but its not a massive cost. Better than having them hanging around not playing. (Harriott looks like he'll stay though, possibly Anssi)

It'll probably be in excess of £1m/£1.5m though, for no other benefit than not having people around. That's a significant investment in the culture and balance of the squad even before we then have to replace those players.

well yes. But we're paying it anyway, its not an additional cost. And guessing he'd much rather not have players around who won't be getting a game

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 03 Jan 2019 12:23

Not sure if this has been posted but fairly decent article from the Guardian (written pre-Swansea)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... of-fortune

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 03 Jan 2019 12:24

Not sure if this has been posted but fairly decent article from the Guardian (written pre-Swansea)

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 Jan 2019 12:29

Hound
Hoop Blah

well yes. But we're paying it anyway, its not an additional cost. And guessing he'd much rather not have players around who won't be getting a game

Yes - paying players who aren't playing for us will be the same whether they are on or off the books. Of those listed would like Harriott to stay though. Would play him a few thousand times over Aluko.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 03 Jan 2019 13:09

3points Not sure if this has been posted but fairly decent article from the Guardian (written pre-Swansea)

The article talks more of Reading getting 'back into the Premier League' than it does the threat of relegation.

Tbh I think that's been part of our problem; a mentality among some that we are a Prem team in waiting and that our poor results are just a result of bad management and the attitude of the players.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2019 13:12

Vision
Elm Park Kid All but confirmed that a large number will be leaving:

As much as his appointment was baffling to me, this is basically what I've been saying for some time.

José Gomes been working intensely with this squad of players throughout a hectic festive fixture schedule, ever since meeting them for the first time on Christmas Eve.

And with the January transfer window now open, he has had to make some tough decisions to kick-start a process which has to see our squad size scaled down with a view to potentially adding more quality in the weeks ahead.

“The January transfer window. We are working on what we can do with the board of directors. It is normal for a club in the position we are in to think about improving the squad,” he said after our New Year’s Day defeat to Swansea City.

“But definitely the number of players we have in our squad is very, very high. We must reduce the number of players and, after that, try to bring some more players in who can have an immediate impact and help us be strong.

“We take it step by step. Now the step is to reduce the number of players we have. We cannot play like a team, feel the team spirit if we have too many players. Because, sooner or later, the players who are not in the matchday squad don’t feel part of the team any more.

"And we must look at the complete picture too. If you have too many players in your first team, it is difficult to find space for the Under-23s - even if they are good players!

"I like to work with young players. And if they deserve it, I will give them the chance. But first we need to look at the big picture and the first step is to reduce the number of players. I have it clear in my head how to do this.

“We have started the process - before training on Wednesday, I called some players in to speak with them.

“Maybe it will feel a bit unfair for some players, but I am here to win.”

I'm rarely one for knee jerk solutions but in all honesty, even if this backfires for the remainder of the season, I really don't think we have that much to lose. Something needs to change in and around our first team and hopefully this statement indicates where we're heading.

I mean it's basically where we said we were intending to go when BT announced Stam so it will be interesting to see if we hold our nerve this time and don't get side tracked by getting close to the filthy Premier League lucre.

Somehow I don't think that's anything we need to be concerned about for a while

Yeah, it's been long overdue. Those two summer's of signing 13/14 players without shifting many seniors were ludicrous.

247 posts