247 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Are we really going down this season

by Hoop Blah » 03 Jan 2019 13:12

muirinho
Hound
Hoop Blah
It'll probably be in excess of £1m/£1.5m though, for no other benefit than not having people around. That's a significant investment in the culture and balance of the squad even before we then have to replace those players.

IF, that's how we're doing it of course.

well yes. But we're paying it anyway, its not an additional cost. And guessing he'd much rather not have players around who won't be getting a game

Yes - paying players who aren't playing for us will be the same whether they are on or off the books. Of those listed would like Harriott to stay though. Would play him a few thousand times over Aluko.

It’s not additional, but you’re losing the option to then play them and have to replace those in the squad who have contributed, such as O’Shea who has played a number of games when needed. The others less so of course.

There’s probably also some other savings in terms of national insurance etc, but it still shows a willingness to back the manager and the rebuild process.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Jan 2019 13:13

3points Not sure if this has been posted but fairly decent article from the Guardian (written pre-Swansea)

Yeah, see post above.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 03 Jan 2019 13:20

leon
3points Not sure if this has been posted but fairly decent article from the Guardian (written pre-Swansea)

Yeah, see post above.

:D

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2019 13:28

Hoop Blah
muirinho
Hound
well yes. But we're paying it anyway, its not an additional cost. And guessing he'd much rather not have players around who won't be getting a game

Yes - paying players who aren't playing for us will be the same whether they are on or off the books. Of those listed would like Harriott to stay though. Would play him a few thousand times over Aluko.

It’s not additional, but you’re losing the option to then play them and have to replace those in the squad who have contributed, such as O’Shea who has played a number of games when needed. The others less so of course.

There’s probably also some other savings in terms of national insurance etc, but it still shows a willingness to back the manager and the rebuild process.

Taking your example of O'Shea, and including McShane, I'd say we can comfortably pay them off and use McIntyre and Osho instead. Numbers trimmed, future facing, no additional cost, potential morale and togetherness increase and possible boost to academy player saleability and value.

Likewise Meyler for Rinomhota.

Mannone / Jaakkola for Southward etc

McNulty / Baldock and Loader, possibly recall Nova

Arguably we could lose a whole bunch of players without replacing them with additional external costs.

We might lose a little in quality short term in some places, but really the difference between 0-1 and 0-4 is minimal. And we might gain, especially medium term.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 03 Jan 2019 13:32

Snowflake Royal
Hoop Blah
muirinho

Taking your example of O'Shea, and including McShane, I'd say we can comfortably pay them off and use McIntyre and Osho instead. Numbers trimmed, future facing, no additional cost, potential morale and togetherness increase and possible boost to academy player saleability and value.

Arguably we could lose a whole bunch of players without replacing them with additional external costs.

We might lose a little in quality short term in some places, but really the difference between 0-1 and 0-4 is minimal. And we might gain, especially medium term.

You'd probably need to offer the academy lads new contracts though to reward their step up to regular first team duties and also build in some protections against future suitors

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2019 13:45

3points
Snowflake Royal
Hoop Blah

You'd probably need to offer the academy lads new contracts though to reward their step up to regular first team duties and also build in some protections against future suitors

Not immediately though. Once they show they can cope. Around the end of the season, maybe earlier for Rino.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Jan 2019 13:56

Snowflake Royal Taking your example of O'Shea, and including McShane, I'd say we can comfortably pay them off and use McIntyre and Osho instead. Numbers trimmed, future facing, no additional cost, potential morale and togetherness increase and possible boost to academy player saleability and value.

I agree in the most part, as it's about trimming the size of the squad, but at the same time we need to try and improve the side too.

I've not seen anything of the young centre backs to be fair, so I'm speaking from a position of ignorance really, but I think that's one position where we need to bring in a solid option to play alongside Moore for the remainder of the season (Connolly would do me) and not gamble on kids to plug a hole for now.

Upfront is pretty similar, although I don't think we're likely to be casting off any of the centre forwards at this point (I might be proved wrong of course).

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 03 Jan 2019 14:12

Snowflake Royal
Hoop Blah
muirinho

if the plan is to go with McIntyre and osho going forward we might need to keep someone with the experience of oshea
or at least bring some solid experience to replace him

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2019 14:13

Hoop Blah
Snowflake Royal Taking your example of O'Shea, and including McShane, I'd say we can comfortably pay them off and use McIntyre and Osho instead. Numbers trimmed, future facing, no additional cost, potential morale and togetherness increase and possible boost to academy player saleability and value.

I agree in the most part, as it's about trimming the size of the squad, but at the same time we need to try and improve the side too.

I've not seen anything of the young centre backs to be fair, so I'm speaking from a position of ignorance really, but I think that's one position where we need to bring in a solid option to play alongside Moore for the remainder of the season (Connolly would do me) and not gamble on kids to plug a hole for now.

Upfront is pretty similar, although I don't think we're likely to be casting off any of the centre forwards at this point (I might be proved wrong of course).

We're basically replacing squad options with U23. McShane hasn't appeared since Blackburn. Meyler about the same. Edwards not played all season. We're not losing anything by offloading these if we can. I'm assuming Ezatolahi will be back after Man U - that will be 3 months out. That gives another option in there.

I've seen little to suggest losing O Shea and replacing with Osho would be detrimental. likewise McNulty/Loader. Can definitely lose a keeper without buying in a replacement

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2019 14:23

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 03 Jan 2019 14:28

Given our striking woes I find it hard to understand why Novakovic hasn't been recalled. Maybe his season-long loan deal had no recall provision?

Clearly with the likes of Southwood, Legg, Richards, Osho, McIntyre, Holmes, Kelly (?), Rinomhata, Loader, Novakovic we have a potentially decent spine under development that should certainly hold its own in the third tier, thus leaving it possible to dump/pay-off a large amount of dead-wood. I wonder whether the owners would have the balls to say "oxf*rd it", we're down this season, clear-out the crap and spend 3/4 seasons in the third tier and rebuild using our own talent?

Of course the Iranian spiv's money tap would be switched off under such a scenario, and he would doubtless be in the owners' ears whinging and bleating, but hey ho, small sacrifice if it stabilises the club - which currently is in total free-fall.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2019 14:31

Still plenty of time to recall him strap - but I think he'll stick with Meite and Bod, and keep Nova getting regular games at a good level for the rest of the season

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 03 Jan 2019 14:36

Hasn't Nova been injured and only come back in recent weeks?

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 03 Jan 2019 14:48

Any player that is told he has no future at RFC may well agree to terminate his contract for less than he would get if he remained here. If he is "unattached" at the end of the transfer window, he will still be able to sign for another league club after it shuts. If he is still under contract to Reading at the end of January, that would mean,I believe, until the summer months he will only be able to join a non-league club. At least that would give him more time to find another club.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 03 Jan 2019 14:54

Hound We're basically replacing squad options with U23. McShane hasn't appeared since Blackburn. Meyler about the same. Edwards not played all season. We're not losing anything by offloading these if we can. I'm assuming Ezatolahi will be back after Man U - that will be 3 months out. That gives another option in there.

I've seen little to suggest losing O Shea and replacing with Osho would be detrimental. likewise McNulty/Loader. Can definitely lose a keeper without buying in a replacement

That is true, but by the same token you're saying our squad is no better than a bunch of kids. And that is very very sad.

We need experience and desire - in abundance.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 03 Jan 2019 14:55

The Royal Forester Any player that is told he has no future at RFC may well agree to terminate his contract for less than he would get if he remained here. If he is "unattached" at the end of the transfer window, he will still be able to sign for another league club after it shuts. If he is still under contract to Reading at the end of January, that would mean,I believe, until the summer months he will only be able to join a non-league club. At least that would give him more time to find another club.

That's all any of them are good for. They should all go and help Maidenhead out

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2019 15:07

John Smith
Hound We're basically replacing squad options with U23. McShane hasn't appeared since Blackburn. Meyler about the same. Edwards not played all season. We're not losing anything by offloading these if we can. I'm assuming Ezatolahi will be back after Man U - that will be 3 months out. That gives another option in there.

That is true, but by the same token you're saying our squad is no better than a bunch of kids. And that is very very sad.

We need experience and desire - in abundance.

I'm saying McShane, O Shea, McNulty, Meyler and Edwards are no better than their U23 replacements. Which they aren't imo

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 03 Jan 2019 16:26

John Smith
The Royal Forester Any player that is told he has no future at RFC may well agree to terminate his contract for less than he would get if he remained here. If he is "unattached" at the end of the transfer window, he will still be able to sign for another league club after it shuts. If he is still under contract to Reading at the end of January, that would mean,I believe, until the summer months he will only be able to join a non-league club. At least that would give him more time to find another club.

That's all any of them are good for. They should all go and help Maidenhead out

Doubt many of them would get a game, Maidenhead aren't that bad a side.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 03 Jan 2019 16:57

I'd probably keep McShane in League 1 though to be the experienced player and lose Moore and Ilori. O'Shea will only be good for glue by the end of the season

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 Jan 2019 17:07

3points I'd probably keep McShane in League 1 though to be the experienced player and lose Moore and Ilori. O'Shea will only be good for glue by the end of the season

His contract is surely up in the summer though? why would he sign another one. Why would we give him one?

Be perfectly happy to play a jar of glue in place of Ilori right now, though....

247 posts