Are we really going down this season

247 posts
strap
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Are we really going down this season

by strap » 03 Jan 2019 17:20

72 bus
John Smith
The Royal Forester Any player that is told he has no future at RFC may well agree to terminate his contract for less than he would get if he remained here. If he is "unattached" at the end of the transfer window, he will still be able to sign for another league club after it shuts. If he is still under contract to Reading at the end of January, that would mean,I believe, until the summer months he will only be able to join a non-league club. At least that would give him more time to find another club.

That's all any of them are good for. They should all go and help Maidenhead out

Doubt many of them would get a game, Maidenhead aren't that bad a side.

3rd from bottom of the 5th tier = not a bad side? TBF I had realised they were now so high up the pyramid so you may well be right.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 03 Jan 2019 17:21

strap Had it on good authority (albeit 2nd hand) that 7 players have been released this morning. Sorry I have no names, merely that number. Probably pretty easy to make an educated guess. I would have thought there would have been more than that, but maybe more will follow as the window develops?

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/17334041.reading-fc-six-or-seven-players-told-they-can-leave-in-january-as-pelle-clement-returns-to-netherlands/

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2019 17:29

Hoop Blah
Snowflake Royal Taking your example of O'Shea, and including McShane, I'd say we can comfortably pay them off and use McIntyre and Osho instead. Numbers trimmed, future facing, no additional cost, potential morale and togetherness increase and possible boost to academy player saleability and value.

Likewise Meyler for Rinomhota.

Mannone / Jaakkola for Southward etc

McNulty / Baldock and Loader, possibly recall Nova

Arguably we could lose a whole bunch of players without replacing them with additional external costs.

We might lose a little in quality short term in some places, but really the difference between 0-1 and 0-4 is minimal. And we might gain, especially medium term.

I agree in the most part, as it's about trimming the size of the squad, but at the same time we need to try and improve the side too.

I've not seen anything of the young centre backs to be fair, so I'm speaking from a position of ignorance really, but I think that's one position where we need to bring in a solid option to play alongside Moore for the remainder of the season (Connolly would do me) and not gamble on kids to plug a hole for now.

Upfront is pretty similar, although I don't think we're likely to be casting off any of the centre forwards at this point (I might be proved wrong of course).

With the defence, I think that's the case whether we kick out O'Shea and McShane or not, so bin them and take the financial hit, then you've got Moore, Ilori, Blackett, Osho, McIntyre and A N Other

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 Jan 2019 17:31

strap
strap Had it on good authority (albeit 2nd hand) that 7 players have been released this morning. Sorry I have no names, merely that number. Probably pretty easy to make an educated guess. I would have thought there would have been more than that, but maybe more will follow as the window develops?

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/17334041.reading-fc-six-or-seven-players-told-they-can-leave-in-january-as-pelle-clement-returns-to-netherlands/

Those 6 or 7 are probably ones that the club has decided they can take the hit on their contracts if they don't find another club.
i.e., either they aren't getting paid very much, or their contract finishes in the summer, or the club reckons they'll find somewhere else they are happy to go to easily.

So, for instance, I can't see McCleary being let go, because he's got another 18 months left. Similarly (and sadly) Aluko. Whereas, say, McNulty and Harriott might be.

That's not to say there isn't another 6 or 7 (or 15) that the club would happily let go for half nothing if another club came in for them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2019 17:47

strap

So as we said then, not released, told they could leave. Important distinction.

EDIT: Lol that article confirms nothing...6 or 7 could leave in January. Half of them could be selling Moore, Barrow and Swift not releasing deadweight who never play! Not to mention it's the useless Chronic.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2019 17:50

Snowflake Royal
strap

So as we said then, not released, told they could leave. Important distinction.

Tbh the report doesn’t really make a distinction. Those players could be released or sold. Either way sounds like they are not training with the first team squad which is a good start

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 03 Jan 2019 17:53

muirinho
strap

Those 6 or 7 are probably ones that the club has decided they can take the hit on their contracts if they don't find another club.
i.e., either they aren't getting paid very much, or their contract finishes in the summer, or the club reckons they'll find somewhere else they are happy to go to easily.

So, for instance, I can't see McCleary being let go, because he's got another 18 months left. Similarly (and sadly) Aluko. Whereas, say, McNulty and Harriott might be.

That's not to say there isn't another 6 or 7 (or 15) that the club would happily let go for half nothing if another club came in for them.

They signed McNulty on a one year contract?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 Jan 2019 17:59

Hound

Tbh the report doesn’t really make a distinction. Those players could be released or sold. Either way sounds like they are not training with the first team squad which is a good start

As far as Gomes is concerned it makes no difference whether they are there or not - he's told them they won't be playing, or training with the first team squad. I'm sure contractually they'll be allowed to use the gym facilities etc - but other than that, they are ghosts.

Surely it will improve training if there aren't any players there who know they are walking dead.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 Jan 2019 18:01

Elm Park Kid
muirinho

They signed McNulty on a one year contract?

Nah, but he'd come in under "club reckons they'll find somewhere else they are happy to go to easily" I'm sure he'd go back to Coventry for instance, with the last 6 months Championship pay in his bank and maybe a bit of sweetener to go with it. Or a Scottish team. (Not Rangers or Hearts!)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2019 18:12

muirinho
Hound
Snowflake Royal So as we said then, not released, told they could leave. Important distinction.

As far as Gomes is concerned it makes no difference whether they are there or not - he's told them they won't be playing, or training with the first team squad. I'm sure contractually they'll be allowed to use the gym facilities etc - but other than that, they are ghosts.

Surely it will improve training if there aren't any players there who know they are walking dead.

Yep that pretty much

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 03 Jan 2019 20:34

muirinho
3points I'd probably keep McShane in League 1 though to be the experienced player and lose Moore and Ilori. O'Shea will only be good for glue by the end of the season

His contract is surely up in the summer though? why would he sign another one. Why would we give him one?

Be perfectly happy to play a jar of glue in place of Ilori right now, though....

Give hI a League 1 contract on £5k a year. Easier for him to stay, keep his family settled and earn a living than having to find a new club. Would be decent at League 1 level imho

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 03 Jan 2019 20:37

Seems that Josh Sims might be sent back to Southampton. Strange one to me given the utter shitness of our wing play atm. I'd keep him if only to have on the bench, seems more of an impact player than a starter.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Jan 2019 20:49

Muskrat Seems that Josh Sims might be sent back to Southampton. Strange one to me given the utter shitness of our wing play atm. I'd keep him if only to have on the bench, seems more of an impact player than a starter.

I think he’s been poor. No loss.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2019 20:58

Zip
Muskrat Seems that Josh Sims might be sent back to Southampton. Strange one to me given the utter shitness of our wing play atm. I'd keep him if only to have on the bench, seems more of an impact player than a starter.

I think he’s been poor. No loss.

Yep rubbish. Get rid asap

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2019 22:29

O Shea doing the media rounds before the FA cup suggests he may not be on Gomes’ list...

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Jan 2019 22:42

Hound O Shea doing the media rounds before the FA cup suggests he may not be on Gomes’ list...

Whatever the criticism from the terraces. Most likely a positive figure in the squad and a great influence on the younger players at the current time.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2019 23:21

Lower West
Hound O Shea doing the media rounds before the FA cup suggests he may not be on Gomes’ list...

Whatever the criticism from the terraces. Most likely a positive figure in the squad and a great influence on the younger players at the current time.

Captain Relegation is certainly familiar with our predicament being on a hat-trick of shamblethonic drops.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2019 07:18

Watching the Sunderland doc on Netflix (which is excellent btw) and found it very interesting how little O Shea is mentioned it shows up in it. Thought he’d be the main man rallying the troops etc, but just seems quiet. No evidence of leadership

Obvs it’s no way to make a judgement but found it surprising none the less

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Jan 2019 09:11

Hound Watching the Sunderland doc on Netflix (which is excellent btw) and found it very interesting how little O Shea is mentioned it shows up in it. Thought he’d be the main man rallying the troops etc, but just seems quiet. No evidence of leadership

I enjoyed it, but it didn't show a lot of any player doing anything apart from following a few of them outside of a bit of training and to camera pieces from a select few (mainly new signings IIRC).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2019 09:22

Hoop Blah
Hound Watching the Sunderland doc on Netflix (which is excellent btw) and found it very interesting how little O Shea is mentioned it shows up in it. Thought he’d be the main man rallying the troops etc, but just seems quiet. No evidence of leadership

I enjoyed it, but it didn't show a lot of any player doing anything apart from following a few of them outside of a bit of training and to camera pieces from a select few (mainly new signings IIRC).

no, indeed. But you could make out some of the characteristics of the players, just from goal reactions etc.

Was surprised how Fletcher and Williams particularly seemed really short of confidence and as far from the 'arrogant footballer' stereotype as you could get.

247 posts