Are we really going down this season

247 posts
Forest Gump

Are we really going down this season

by Forest Gump » 04 Dec 2018 00:54

this is the fourth season out of five in which we’ve been in a relegation fight. Last season we came particularly close and yet in comparison, at the same stage, this season we are much lower than we were 12 months ago. Of course from this point last year we were particularly bad - dire, in fact - and if anything we are now improving very slightly.
However, even thought we are told that performances are getting better on the whole this is not borne out by results.
Personally I think performances are very inconsistent at the moment with home games generally a let down; results are though consistent with defeats alternating with draws.
So an average of 1 point in a possible 6 - this is relegation form, for sure.
How could it be avoided?
Change probably. I think Clement will leave before Christmas; all teams doing this badly tend to fire the manager sooner rather than later - and we almost left it too late last season.
But it’s probsbly not Clements fault.
I think that several of the players haven’t realised how bad things are yet - or just don’t care!
I would put 9 of them on the transfer list straight away:
Aluko - no explanation needed
Swift. Massive disappointment - has become very lazy and slow
Kelly, skilful enough but not for a team in a dog fight - too much of a luxury
Gunter - confidence shot and he’s become defeatist
Mannone - ditto Gunter really
McShane - out too long and had been struggling for pace
P Clement - not sure anyone in the team would recognise him it’s been so long.
Popa, needs a fresh start away.
Edwards - was never a Williams replacement.
This may not be enough to save us from the drop but I think it might mean the remainder of the squad has a bit more hunger to fight their way back up from League 1

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

Re: Are we really going down this season

by seahawk10 » 04 Dec 2018 01:39

No

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Dec 2018 02:01

So basically we should sack the manager because he inherited an underperformimg squad bereft of confidence?

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 04 Dec 2018 03:42

Yes 100% we are going down. Just two clean sheets and we are nearly half way. The first half against Ipswich should tell you everything. They played us off the park scored 2 should have had 4. They have lost all there games since. We need a manager like Tony Mowberry who took over Blackburn and started to prepare for div one, even though they were in the championship at the time.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 04 Dec 2018 06:03

Yes we deserve to.

Follow question..... would you prefer it if we go down? I know I would.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Dec 2018 07:16

Kulshaw72RFC Yes we deserve to.

Why do we ‘deserve to’?

Could see an argument for going down last year giving us the chance to shed the dead wood and start again, but PC has pretty much done that already. Can’t see any benefit in going down now. Be mildly entertaining to see us smash up crap like Shrewsbury for a while but ultimately pretty boring

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 04 Dec 2018 07:25

Hound

Why do we ‘deserve to’?

Could see an argument for going down last year giving us the chance to shed the dead wood and start again, but PC has pretty much done that already. Can’t see any benefit in going down now. Be mildly entertaining to see us smash up crap like Shrewsbury for a while but ultimately pretty boring

.we deserve to because we have been dreadful for years

HTH

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Dec 2018 08:25

Nah.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Dec 2018 09:10

It`s a roller coater following this lot if nothing else. it seems most other teams down the bottom are capable of stringing together a few wins once in a while. we`ve had 14 in 66 games, dreadful.
Having said that I`m not condemning us to the drop just yet, but an improvement of epic proportions is needed ASAP.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Dec 2018 09:23

windermereROYAL It`s a roller coater following this lot if nothing else. it seems most other teams down the bottom are capable of stringing together a few wins once in a while. we`ve had 14 in 66 games, dreadful.
Having said that I`m not condemning us to the drop just yet, but an improvement of epic proportions is needed ASAP.

It'll come. A fully fit XI (lol) would sort it out and there was signs of real fight in the last 2 games. Keep that effort up and fortunes should change.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Dec 2018 09:24

Forest Gump this is the fourth season out of five in which we’ve been in a relegation fight. Last season we came particularly close and yet in comparison, at the same stage, this season we are much lower than we were 12 months ago. Of course from this point last year we were particularly bad - dire, in fact - and if anything we are now improving very slightly.
However, even thought we are told that performances are getting better on the whole this is not borne out by results.
Personally I think performances are very inconsistent at the moment with home games generally a let down; results are though consistent with defeats alternating with draws.
How could it be avoided?
Change probably. I think Clement will leave before Christmas; all teams doing this badly tend to fire the manager sooner rather than later - and we almost left it too late last season.
I think that several of the players haven’t realised how bad things are yet - or just don’t care!
This may not be enough to save us from the drop but I think it might mean the remainder of the squad has a bit more hunger to fight their way back up from League 1

Definitely needed a new thread for this, well done.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Dec 2018 09:24

Kulshaw72RFC
Hound

Why do we ‘deserve to’?

.we deserve to because we have been dreadful for years

HTH

You only deserve to if after 46 games in any given season, you are one of the 3 worst teams. We haven't been and I don't think we will be again this year.

Finishing 18th-21st each year isn't exactly fun though.

HTH.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 04 Dec 2018 09:29

Old Man Andrews
Forest Gump this is the fourth season out of five in which we’ve been in a relegation fight. Last season we came particularly close and yet in comparison, at the same stage, this season we are much lower than we were 12 months ago. Of course from this point last year we were particularly bad - dire, in fact - and if anything we are now improving very slightly.
How could it be avoided?

Definitely needed a new thread for this, well done.

why don't you contribute something meaningful to this board Jay for once

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Dec 2018 09:34

Yes - Ipswich, Bolton, Reading all going down.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 04 Dec 2018 09:36

leon Yes - Ipswich, Bolton, Reading all going down.

agreed.

I actually want us to go down tbh.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Dec 2018 09:38

This is the dumbest thing people keep saying

The answer of course is maybe

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Dec 2018 10:00

NewCorkSeth
windermereROYAL It`s a roller coater following this lot if nothing else. it seems most other teams down the bottom are capable of stringing together a few wins once in a while. we`ve had 14 in 66 games, dreadful.

It'll come. A fully fit XI (lol) would sort it out and there was signs of real fight in the last 2 games. Keep that effort up and fortunes should change.

Agree

I think we’ll pull well clear in the new year once Bod and Eza are fit

Could be wrong of course. Doesn’t feel like the same despondency round the place as there was last year

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Dec 2018 10:08

Hound
NewCorkSeth

Agree

Could be wrong of course. Doesn’t feel like the same despondency round the place as there was last year

Yes - possibly. I think Rinomhota suddenly doing very well and Meite looking really promising has help lift the mood. However I'm just not sure we're going to pick up enough points before Xmas to be not adrift in a small group of underachievers.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Dec 2018 10:15

leon
Hound
NewCorkSeth It'll come. A fully fit XI (lol) would sort it out and there was signs of real fight in the last 2 games. Keep that effort up and fortunes should change.

Agree

Yes - possibly. I think Rinomhota suddenly doing very well and Meite looking really promising has help lift the mood. However I'm just not sure we're going to pick up enough points before Xmas to be not adrift in a small group of underachievers.

The players seem positive. Not over-confident like before just positive. That's good for us right now. As long as Clement (who I still don't trust for those keeping score) can get the tactics right and the players keep a positive mood we should do ok.

Step by step from here. The returning players will hopefully improve morale as well. Keep the intensity from the last 2 games and we'll grind out of the relegation battle.

Looking at the analytics from the league we have 4 players contributing well in attack. Ezatolahi back in and Rinomhota keeping his form will no doubt help us from conceding. We are a hairs width away from being a good team.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Dec 2018 10:19

Silver Fox

This is the dumbest thing people keep saying

The answer of course is maybe

+1, there are 26 games of the season left, we aren’t even halfway yet. :| if we are in this exact position with 1 game to go I think the answer would still be maybe.

247 posts