ROWY

Re: New Manager

by ROWY » 06 Dec 2018 20:07

Gary Neville

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Dec 2018 20:16

We've made contact with a Luis Castro? This is according to Courtney Friday's twitter account. Some Portuguese bloke by the sounds of it

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 06 Dec 2018 20:31

Brain Traysers
Woodcote Royal If we're looking at former players/managers, Pardew would be the only one for me.

Many oceans have flowed under the bridge since he did the dirty and flounced off to West Ham.

If he's still not working is that because he hasn't had a decent offer or isn't intersted? Would he be interested in coming back?

Or is it because the game has moved on since he was last able to be an effective manager?

Same with Mark Hughes - this style of manager was effective 10 years ago, but has failed to evolve since. Mourinho is a prime example here - his style was the model at Chelsea, but now he is so far behind the Pep, Poch, Emery and Klopps.

The exceptions to these 'old school' types are the ones who adapt their style with modern thinking - e.g. Pulis and Allardyce (*shudder*) - or man managers who are able to consistently get the very best out of players - e.g. Warnock and McDermott (v1.0).

Nothing I've seen from any of Parkinson's sides suggests he is any better in this respect.

In fact, Pardew's time at Newcastle, where he hired and fired the sort of players we will need to recruit if this club is ever going to truly establish itself in the top flight, makes him someone who has the experience to take us where we want to go, as does Steve Bruce.

Parky and Murts are Reading legends but I will be very surprised if we don't go for someone with more experience at a higher level.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Dec 2018 20:35

URZZZZ We've made contact with a Luis Castro? This is according to Courtney Friday's twitter account. Some Portuguese bloke by the sounds of it

Had not heard of him but he manages Vitoria Guimaraes

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Dec 2018 20:42

Steve Bruce now at evens.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 06 Dec 2018 21:11

Woodcote Royal but I will be very surprised if we don't go for someone with more experience at a higher level.

What's the attraction of coming to Reading? Not as if we are competing in terms of money to spend with the clubs at the top of the Championship. Whoever it is will have to get the best out of an average group of players. Gel them into a team. Totally different art.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 06 Dec 2018 21:15

Just love the ambition of RFC supporters.
It seems that our ideal prospects are
1) managers unsuccessful and struggling in the Prem.
2) managers struggling with teams at the bottom of the championship
3) ex RFC players, irrespective of experience and may be the same as 2)
4) anyone else that’s out of a job due to being unsuccessful elsewhere (and usually a journeyman with many unsuccessful stints behind them).

Where do you think we’ll be in two years time with Steve Bruce, Grayson or if McCarthy was available ffs? (if they last that long)
And all they’ll do once again, is bring in their own team that lasts about a year and never becomes a solid unit.
I say take a gamble. Scott Marshall with his young u23s and let them build a team together for a few years or try someone unknown to the EFL like this geezer Castro, could be good, could be bad but at least its an unknown unlike SB and the like.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 06 Dec 2018 21:17

Old Man Andrews Steve Bruce now at evens.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Dec 2018 21:27

I’m not really sure on the Bruce hate, has a proven track record of getting teams promoted and is a much more preferable choice than a lot being mentioned.

Might not be perfect but beggars can’t be choosers and I’d sooner see him here than someone like Cottril or another Clement.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Dec 2018 21:30

I'd be happy enough with Bruce.

As I said, only stipulation is he needs to continue bringing the youth through.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Dec 2018 21:33

His record is excellent. Just can't see us paying him what he'd want or giving him the funds he'd demand.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Dec 2018 21:44

URZZZZ We've made contact with a Luis Castro? This is according to Courtney Friday's twitter account. Some Portuguese bloke by the sounds of it

Thank god you quoted that pillock Courtney as your source or otherwise I would of believed this rumour to be true

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Dec 2018 21:45

CountryRoyal I’m not really sure on the Bruce hate, has a proven track record of getting teams promoted and is a much more preferable choice than a lot being mentioned.

Might not be perfect but beggars can’t be choosers and I’d sooner see him here than someone like Cottril or another Clement.

Cottril?????!!!!

Please tell me that thick bastard isn’t in the running.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Dec 2018 21:47

paultheroyal

Thank god you quoted that pillock Courtney as your source or otherwise I would of believed this rumour to be true

Fcuk me that would be impressive if we could get him

Very much doubt it will happen.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Dec 2018 21:47

leon
CountryRoyal I’m not really sure on the Bruce hate, has a proven track record of getting teams promoted and is a much more preferable choice than a lot being mentioned.

Cottril?????!!!!

Was 14/1 this afternoon.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Dec 2018 21:50

Bruce would be the best of a bad bunch of the old boys being mentioned

It might work out And he obvs knows the league

I’m struggling to get too excited by the prospect of anyone bar Jokanovic to be honest. And I don’t think he’d come here

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Dec 2018 21:54

Old Man Andrews
leon

Cottril?????!!!!

Was 14/1 this afternoon.

He is a fcuking moron.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 06 Dec 2018 21:55

genome I'd be happy enough with Bruce.

Style of play never went down well at Villa.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Dec 2018 21:56

we are lucky at this time that there are some decent managers at lower league clubs who would jump at the chance of coming here or some quality managers who are out of work. Steve Bruce falls into this category. His track record apart from lack of loyalty in his early days is very impressive with taking teams up and staying up, or even bouncing back up following relegation. He is also known for totally reshaping teams and shipping players out. A number of clubs have courted his services and England interviewed him only a few years back.

If he’s interested, then so we should be to.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Dec 2018 21:59

Lower West
genome I'd be happy enough with Bruce.

Style of play never went down well at Villa.

Self entitled obnoxious knobheads being dissatisfied with anything other than perfection shock.

1436 posts