New Manager

1436 posts
loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

Re: New Manager

by loyalroyal4life » 06 Dec 2018 22:09

Just put bet on Marshall 16/1

He is now in at 10/1
Last edited by loyalroyal4life on 06 Dec 2018 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Dec 2018 22:11

CountryRoyal
Lower West
genome I'd be happy enough with Bruce.

As I said, only stipulation is he needs to continue bringing the youth through.

Style of play never went down well at Villa.

Self entitled obnoxious knobheads being dissatisfied with anything other than perfection shock.

Absolutely.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Dec 2018 22:29

leon
CountryRoyal
Lower West
Style of play never went down well at Villa.

Self entitled obnoxious knobheads being dissatisfied with anything other than perfection shock.

Absolutely.

More to do with his Brum links than anything else I always got the impression

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 06 Dec 2018 22:42

paultheroyal we are lucky at this time that there are some decent managers at lower league clubs who would jump at the chance of coming here or some quality managers who are out of work. Steve Bruce falls into this category. His track record apart from lack of loyalty in his early days is very impressive with taking teams up and staying up, or even bouncing back up following relegation. He is also known for totally reshaping teams and shipping players out. A number of clubs have courted his services and England interviewed him only a few years back.

If he’s interested, then so we should be to.

Really surprised by the calls for Bruce. Reshapes teams by spending tonnes wherever he goes (figures in €s from TransferMarkt)
09/10 - Sunderland - 13th in Prem. Gross spend €46m, net €25m.
10/11 - Sunderland - 10th in Prem. Gross €29m net -€13m (sold Darren Bent for €22m).
11/12 - Sunderland - sacked when 17th in November 2011. Gross €28m, net €2m.
12/13 - Hull - 2nd in Champ. Gross €8.5m net €8.5m.
13/14 - Hull - 16th in the Prem. Gross €31m, net €30m.
14/15 - Hull - 18th in Prem - relegated. Gross €48m, net €30m.
15/16 - Hull - 4th in Championship - promoted via playoffs. Gross €11.5m, net -€24m.
16/17 - Villa - Hired in October, finished 13th. January window gross €23m, net €4m (on top of summer window of €62m gross spend, €25m net under Di Matteo).
17/18 - Villa - 4th - lost in Play off final. Gross €3m, net -€15m.
18/19 - Villa - Sacked in October (12th in table) €8m, net -€8m.

Total gross spend of €236m over 10 seasons although a net spend of €40m. Doesn't take into account loans fees or wages - e.g. Abraham, Snodgrass and Terry in recent years. By comparison we are at gross of €59m and net of -€10m over the same 10 seasons.

We don't have that kind of money to pay fees or wages, nor to we have assets to sell for money to reinvest. as he has done at other clubs. Terrible fit in my opinion.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Dec 2018 22:46

Brain Traysers
paultheroyal we are lucky at this time that there are some decent managers at lower league clubs who would jump at the chance of coming here or some quality managers who are out of work. Steve Bruce falls into this category. His track record apart from lack of loyalty in his early days is very impressive with taking teams up and staying up, or even bouncing back up following relegation. He is also known for totally reshaping teams and shipping players out. A number of clubs have courted his services and England interviewed him only a few years back.

Really surprised by the calls for Bruce. Reshapes teams by spending tonnes wherever he goes (figures in €s from TransferMarkt)
10/11 - Sunderland - 10th in Prem. Gross €29m net -€13m (sold Darren Bent for €22m).
15/16 - Hull - 4th in Championship - promoted via playoffs. Gross €11.5m, net -€24m.
16/17 - Villa - Hired in October, finished 13th. January window gross €23m, net €4m (on top of summer window of €62m gross spend, €25m net under Di Matteo).

Total gross spend of €236m over 10 seasons although a net spend of €40m. Doesn't take into account loans fees or wages - e.g. Abraham, Snodgrass and Terry in recent years. By comparison we are at gross of €59m and net of -€10m over the same 10 seasons.

We don't have that kind of money to pay fees or wages, nor to we have assets to sell for money to reinvest. as he has done at other clubs. Terrible fit in my opinion.

I don’t think those stats are too bad especially as he has spent much of the time managing bigger clubs than us and often in the top flight. Therefore you really can’t compare our net spend with the net spend at the club’s he has managed.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Dec 2018 22:58

Steve Bruce is getting it according to the Mirror.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 06 Dec 2018 23:01

Zip
Brain Traysers

I don’t think those stats are too bad especially as he has spent much of the time managing bigger clubs than us and often in the top flight. Therefore you really can’t compare our net spend with the net spend at the club’s he has managed.

To me it shows he has achieved average results at big clubs with a lot of spending (2 promotions, 1 playoff loss, 2 relegations). Taking established mid table in prem Sunderland down and failing to get Villa up with a budget way above anyone else in the league is not an impressive record. In only 3 of those 10 seasons he finished higher than the previous season (or where he took over), and 2 of those followed a promotion...

What would he do with no money to spend?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 06 Dec 2018 23:02

Old Man Andrews Steve Bruce is getting it according to the Mirror.

oxf*rd.

More drink needed

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Dec 2018 23:04

Brain Traysers

One way to find out.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 06 Dec 2018 23:16

CountryRoyal
Brain Traysers

One way to find out.

Likely a sweet pay off and back to square one in 12 months time in my opinion

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Dec 2018 23:23

Brain Traysers
Zip
Brain Traysers

To me it shows he has achieved average results at big clubs with a lot of spending (2 promotions, 1 playoff loss, 2 relegations). Taking established mid table in prem Sunderland down and failing to get Villa up with a budget way above anyone else in the league is not an impressive record. In only 3 of those 10 seasons he finished higher than the previous season (or where he took over), and 2 of those followed a promotion...

On average he has a net spend of £4 million a year. That’s not by any means excessive for a manager in the top flight or one challenging to get into the top flight.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Dec 2018 23:32

Zip
Brain Traysers
Zip

On average he has a net spend of £4 million a year. That’s not by any means excessive for a manager in the top flight or one challenging to get into the top flight.

But it required big big sales to achieve and didn't really benefit the team.

Yay. We could get someone in who achieved ok results if we can give him loads of money we don't have to bloat our already mercenary laden waster squad with more mercenary wasters.

Bruce is a big fat why the oxf*rd sack Clement if you're alternative is Bruce.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Dec 2018 23:39

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Brain Traysers

But it required big big sales to achieve and didn't really benefit the team.

Yay. We could get someone in who achieved ok results if we can give him loads of money we don't have to bloat our already mercenary laden waster squad with more mercenary wasters.

Bruce is a big fat why the oxf*rd sack Clement if you're alternative is Bruce.

Let’s see how he does if he gets the gig. He certainly has to cut this current top heavy squad. I thought it odd Clement was sacked today. He might as well have been given Saturday’s game as a final chance to turn things around.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Dec 2018 23:41

I'm passed caring if we make another poor appointment.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 06 Dec 2018 23:42

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Dec 2018 23:50

Snowflake Royal I'm passed caring if we make another poor appointment.

This sacking has broken you, hasn't it?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Dec 2018 23:54

genome

I was enjoying this season and liked Clement, I was contentedly resigned to relegation being a real possibility.

So what do we do? Tear down the partial rebuild and start again, one step forward - three steps back.

Reading used to mean a better way of doing things. We might as well be oxf*rd Leeds these days. Or QPR. Or Sunderland. Or Pompey.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Dec 2018 23:57

Snowflake Royal
genome

I was enjoying this season and liked Clement, I was contentedly resigned to relegation being a real possibility.

So what do we do? Tear down the partial rebuild and start again, one step forward - three steps back.

Reading used to mean a better way of doing things. We might as well be oxf*rd Leeds these days.

The outgoing CEO had, by most accounts, ruined the club. The owners took action and installed a bloke who knows the club well. His first action was to remove the guy who was hired by the said previous CEO and, statistically, was the worst manager Reading have ever had.

You don't know if this is a step back yet. There was a reason the owners took action, it's not like Cellino who would fire a manager every six games - nothing like that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Dec 2018 23:59

It's yet another manager. And yet another rebuild torn apart.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 07 Dec 2018 00:00

Very underwhelmed if Bruce gets the job, however i can see why he is highly rated and would have the ability to keep us out of trouble. However i'm not sure how he would fit into the "Reading Way" of things and working with a small budget.

This is where i would like to take a risk with maybe some of the up and coming manager options such as the names being quoted on here like the Luton, Lincoln, Wycombe managers whom you think would leap at the challenge of a championship club and seems to fit the "Reading Way" approach but as said, they do come will a risk and it would be a gamble.

Must admit, i am warming to the give "Scott Marshall" 5 games to see what he can produce? he seems to be doing a remarkable job with the U23s and it would fit into the bringing youth through the ranks idea!! and maybe this would be the new "Reading Way" of moving forward.

I was a Clement in supporter and was really shocked, to be honest, now i don't know what to think? Nigel Howe has come back in and really shock things up which is good, so i really hope they can get this next appointment spot on as the club really needs to settle down now and stabilize itself.

1436 posts