New Manager

1436 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: New Manager

by genome » 07 Dec 2018 00:00

Snowflake Royal It's yet another manager. And yet another rebuild torn apart.

Right. Thanks for ignoring my point, but okay.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Dec 2018 00:02

I`m with Ian on this, so called bad manager the hordes of brain deads on social media howling for change. like by magic everything will come good at the drop of a hat. the last 5 managers haven`t done it, why the hell should anyone new be any different?
It has been without a doubt better than when Stam was here, that`s not saying much I know but what does sacking managers all the time achieve?
Clement stated he needed 3 transfer windows, he got 1.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 07 Dec 2018 00:05

Crowbar6753 Very underwhelmed if Bruce gets the job, however i can see why he is highly rated and would have the ability to keep us out of trouble. However i'm not sure how he would fit into the "Reading Way" of things and working with a small budget.

This is where i would like to take a risk with maybe some of the up and coming manager options such as the names being quoted on here like the Luton, Lincoln, Wycombe managers whom you think would leap at the challenge of a championship club and seems to fit the "Reading Way" approach but as said, they do come will a risk and it would be a gamble.

Must admit, i am warming to the give "Scott Marshall" 5 games to see what he can produce? he seems to be doing a remarkable job with the U23s and it would fit into the bringing youth through the ranks idea!! and maybe this would be the new "Reading Way" of moving forward.

I was a Clement in supporter and was really shocked, to be honest, now i don't know what to think? Nigel Howe has come back in and really shock things up which is good, so i really hope they can get this next appointment spot on as the club really needs to settle down now and stabilize itself.

His one job is survival in the Championship

If he fails to be the “Reading Way” then we can deal with that later

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Dec 2018 00:46

Clement - 30 given a huge rebuilding job with limited resource and then dumped because he couldn't wave a magic wand
Stam - 98 false third and master of his own demise
McDermott - 30 totally shafted and treated with no respect
Clarke - 53 never committed and made to look good by a Blackman purple patch
Adkins - 80 ruined by the Russian shyster's lack of support
McDermott - 169
Rodgers - 23
Coppell - 282
Pardew - 211

Confidence inspiring that we'll get the right guy, plus give them time and support to improve.

I give the new guy between 15 and 40 games before he's sacked.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 07 Dec 2018 03:14

Brain Traysers
Zip
Brain Traysers
Really surprised by the calls for Bruce. Reshapes teams by spending tonnes wherever he goes (figures in €s from TransferMarkt)
09/10 - Sunderland - 13th in Prem. Gross spend €46m, net €25m.
10/11 - Sunderland - 10th in Prem. Gross €29m net -€13m (sold Darren Bent for €22m).
11/12 - Sunderland - sacked when 17th in November 2011. Gross €28m, net €2m.
12/13 - Hull - 2nd in Champ. Gross €8.5m net €8.5m.
13/14 - Hull - 16th in the Prem. Gross €31m, net €30m.
14/15 - Hull - 18th in Prem - relegated. Gross €48m, net €30m.
15/16 - Hull - 4th in Championship - promoted via playoffs. Gross €11.5m, net -€24m.
16/17 - Villa - Hired in October, finished 13th. January window gross €23m, net €4m (on top of summer window of €62m gross spend, €25m net under Di Matteo).
17/18 - Villa - 4th - lost in Play off final. Gross €3m, net -€15m.
18/19 - Villa - Sacked in October (12th in table) €8m, net -€8m.

Total gross spend of €236m over 10 seasons although a net spend of €40m. Doesn't take into account loans fees or wages - e.g. Abraham, Snodgrass and Terry in recent years. By comparison we are at gross of €59m and net of -€10m over the same 10 seasons.

We don't have that kind of money to pay fees or wages, nor to we have assets to sell for money to reinvest. as he has done at other clubs. Terrible fit in my opinion.

I don’t think those stats are too bad especially as he has spent much of the time managing bigger clubs than us and often in the top flight. Therefore you really can’t compare our net spend with the net spend at the club’s he has managed.

To me it shows he has achieved average results at big clubs with a lot of spending (2 promotions, 1 playoff loss, 2 relegations). Taking established mid table in prem Sunderland down and failing to get Villa up with a budget way above anyone else in the league is not an impressive record. In only 3 of those 10 seasons he finished higher than the previous season (or where he took over), and 2 of those followed a promotion...

What would he do with no money to spend?

Why are you and others convinced our new manager will have no money to spend?

While fair play restrictions will have to be adhered to, our billionaire owners will find a way to give the new man a budget for the transfer window even if it means selling Moore.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 07 Dec 2018 04:05

Remember eight years ago a ding manager was sacked. A tempory one was put in charge we were near the foot of the table. We were away to a footballing giant in the third round of the cup. Could history repeat itself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFDbk6DH7YY

alderdude

by alderdude » 07 Dec 2018 05:30

Luis Castro (current Porto B manager) now listed as favorite through odds checker. Only a couple of bookies listed as giving prices on him, with sky bet listed as 11/10 and bet Victor listed as 7/4. Dont know anything about the guy, but it seems interesting a reletively unknown quantity coming in at a price that short. Could be something to this one.

quickwingerswife

by quickwingerswife » 07 Dec 2018 05:46

Scott Marshal for me. Players are raving about his game management style.

Please not that miserable Hughes. Or that up and under Bruce. They won’t put arses on seats.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Dec 2018 05:49

Pandoras Box Just love the ambition of RFC supporters.
It seems that our ideal prospects are
1) managers unsuccessful and struggling in the Prem.
2) managers struggling with teams at the bottom of the championship
3) ex RFC players, irrespective of experience and may be the same as 2)
4) anyone else that’s out of a job due to being unsuccessful elsewhere (and usually a journeyman with many unsuccessful stints behind them).

Where do you think we’ll be in two years time with Steve Bruce, Grayson or if McCarthy was available ffs? (if they last that long)
And all they’ll do once again, is bring in their own team that lasts about a year and never becomes a solid unit.
I say take a gamble. Scott Marshall with his young u23s and let them build a team together for a few years or try someone unknown to the EFL like this geezer Castro, could be good, could be bad but at least its an unknown unlike SB and the like.

I don't think Nigel Howe's ambition for selecting a new manager stretch any further than those of the fans.

Would be surprised if he had the imagination to make an appointment like Castro.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 07 Dec 2018 07:52

sandman
Pandoras Box Just love the ambition of RFC supporters.
It seems that our ideal prospects are
1) managers unsuccessful and struggling in the Prem.
2) managers struggling with teams at the bottom of the championship
3) ex RFC players, irrespective of experience and may be the same as 2)
4) anyone else that’s out of a job due to being unsuccessful elsewhere (and usually a journeyman with many unsuccessful stints behind them).

Where do you think we’ll be in two years time with Steve Bruce, Grayson or if McCarthy was available ffs? (if they last that long)
And all they’ll do once again, is bring in their own team that lasts about a year and never becomes a solid unit.
I say take a gamble. Scott Marshall with his young u23s and let them build a team together for a few years or try someone unknown to the EFL like this geezer Castro, could be good, could be bad but at least its an unknown unlike SB and the like.

I don't think Nigel Howe's ambition for selecting a new manager stretch any further than those of the fans.

Would be surprised if he had the imagination to make an appointment like Castro.

Don't think it would be Howe who identifies the target - would be Director of Football, maybe that scouting agency that was mentioned when the Thais were in charge, maybe manager's agents all over Europe find out there's a vacancy and start putting forward candidates.

For me: an internal appointment or a young and ambitious technocrat. No saggy faced perennial losers (see three of the four categories above by PB - truly a depressing way to replace Clement).

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 07 Dec 2018 07:57

Snowflake Royal
genome
Snowflake Royal I'm passed caring if we make another poor appointment.

This sacking has broken you, hasn't it?

I was enjoying this season and liked Clement, I was contentedly resigned to relegation being a real possibility.

So what do we do? Tear down the partial rebuild and start again, one step forward - three steps back.

Reading used to mean a better way of doing things. We might as well be oxf*rd Leeds these days. Or QPR. Or Sunderland. Or Pompey.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 07 Dec 2018 07:59

windermereROYAL I`m with Ian on this, so called bad manager the hordes of brain deads on social media howling for change. like by magic everything will come good at the drop of a hat. the last 5 managers haven`t done it, why the hell should anyone new be any different?
It has been without a doubt better than when Stam was here, that`s not saying much I know but what does sacking managers all the time achieve?
Clement stated he needed 3 transfer windows, he got 1.

And made a pretty poor job of that. Talked about the type of player he wanted, claimed to have signed them in that mould and then didn't play them. Despite plenty of decent keepers out there, and the fact it should be easier to get a second choice keeper to move, signed someone who he knew and who is struggling even to be second choice when up against two other average keepers.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 07 Dec 2018 08:03

Snowflake Royal Clement - 30 given a huge rebuilding job with limited resource and then dumped because he couldn't wave a magic wand
McDermott - 169
Rodgers - 23
Coppell - 282
Pardew - 211

Confidence inspiring that we'll get the right guy, plus give them time and support to improve.

What are the numbers here? games played?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Dec 2018 08:25

stealthpapes
Snowflake Royal Clement - 30 given a huge rebuilding job with limited resource and then dumped because he couldn't wave a magic wand
McDermott - 169
Rodgers - 23
Coppell - 282
Pardew - 211

The amount of pointless arguments Ian has had on HNA about each manager.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Dec 2018 08:25

leon
stealthpapes
McDermott - 169
Rodgers - 23
Coppell - 282
Pardew - 211

oxf*rd you Leon I was just about to post that.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Dec 2018 08:26

Divided by 1000

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 07 Dec 2018 08:34

https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-s ... t/23227108

Looks like we could be joining the let's have a Portuguese manager club

Luis Castro ?

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 07 Dec 2018 08:34

leon
stealthpapes
McDermott - 169
Rodgers - 23
Coppell - 282
Pardew - 211

lol, true.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Dec 2018 09:00

Gunny Fishcake https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-specials/event/23227108

Luis Castro ?

bit of noise about this one isn't there? Link via Nani I presume

I'd be ok with it tbh. Maybe nice to promote Marshall to work alongside him.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Dec 2018 09:05

Gunny Fishcake https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-specials/event/23227108

Luis Castro ?

Is that the the tippy tappy pattering of tiny tippy tappy football feet I hear?

1436 posts