New Manager

1436 posts
Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New Manager

by Coppells Lost Coat » 11 Dec 2018 13:46

We do not lack technical ability - we lack effort. We need a manager to come in and get the players to put everything on the line, every game. Could Parky do this, I am not sure. If it is Parky coming in, so be it and will support the decision but it is such an unimaginative and uninspiring appointment.
Would be funny to watch him in the dressing room issuing out mouth guards though.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Dec 2018 13:51

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... ul-clement

Vitor Pereira being mooted. I can't imagine the pay cut he'd need to take to come here from China though...

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Dec 2018 13:52

Mid Sussex Royal The popularity will wane after a month of poor results and most of the new post 2006 premier league fans won't even have seen him play.

His managerial career has been mixed at best, and the career win rate is based largely at Bradford in league 2 where they were around the playoffs for years, and the fact that in 18 years no club looking other than those for a cheap option have employed him speaks volumes.

I don't get this "lets get in a playing legend" idea - we need to go for someone who will keep us up, and that's sadly not Parky.

...and the football will be dreadful based on his last few sides I've seen, home and away.

Phew. Finally someone with a brain. Well done.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Dec 2018 14:00

genome https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11673/11577893/vitor-pereira-on-readings-list-of-potential-successors-to-paul-clement

Vitor Pereira being mooted. I can't imagine the pay cut he'd need to take to come here from China though...

Closer to home for him though and we have no idea how much he is on either. Depends on his motives I guess. If he is a football man then it is a no brainer for him.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Dec 2018 14:09

Old Man Andrews
genome https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11673/11577893/vitor-pereira-on-readings-list-of-potential-successors-to-paul-clement

Closer to home for him though and we have no idea how much he is on either. Depends on his motives I guess. If he is a football man then it is a no brainer for him.

Decent record, 2 Portuguese titles, a Chinese title and a Greek title.

He had a nightmare in Germany with 1860 Munich, although he was only given 20 games.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Dec 2018 14:10

Old Man Andrews

Quite a good beard to be fair.

OMA, if you were a manager would you be suit, tracksuit, bench coat, polo or other?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Dec 2018 14:11

Parky as a player is before my time but IMO, overall, he has a strong record of getting smaller clubs to do well

League 1 Colchester

2005-06 Automatic Promotion in Second Place

2006-07 Caretaker, then manager from Jan. Relegated
2007-08 Charlton 4th, Made Play-offs, losing on penalties in semis.

Sacked following Nov

League 2 Bradford City

2011-12 Manager of the Month

2011-12 Bradford. Semi-Final League Cup after beating Arsenal

2011-12 Bradford. Final League Cup after beating Premiership Villa 3-1

Lost final to Premiership Swansea

2011-12, Won Play-Off Final. Promoted to League 1

2014-15 FA Cup 4th Round - Won away at Chelsea from 2-0 down

Outstanding Managerial Award.

2014-15 FA Cup, also beat Sunderland and made Quarter Finals, losing to Reading

2015-16
Made League One Play-offs, lost to Millwall

League 1 Bolton

2016-17 Automatic Promotion with Bolton. Three times Manager of the Month.

All this despite a transfer embargo and enforced wage-cap.

2017-18 Favourites for relegation but kept Bolton up.

That's

Three promotions
Two Automatic Promotions - Three times made playoffs, W1 - L2

Final, League Cup
Quarter-Final FA Cup

Arguably the best-ever giant-killing come-back away win at Chelsea

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Dec 2018 14:13

John Smith
Old Man Andrews

OMA, if you were a manager would you be suit, tracksuit, bench coat, polo or other?

Fantastic question John, thats why you are one of my favourites.

I would go for a shirt and trouser with a long Russian military style coat.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 11 Dec 2018 14:19

Coppells Lost Coat We do not lack technical ability - we lack effort. We need a manager to come in and get the players to put everything on the line, every game. Could Parky do this, I am not sure. If it is Parky coming in, so be it and will support the decision but it is such an unimaginative and uninspiring appointment.
Would be funny to watch him in the dressing room issuing out mouth guards though.

At the moment I am not to worried about the tactics as long as they play like they want to win something. I would take parky as he has an affiliation with the club and would hopefully get some sort of cohesion. He has done wonders at Bolton on a shoe string there. Nice if he robbed vela and ameobi aswell.
As said before an assistant managers spot for Murty with him would be a dream. Between them they might get some grit in the defence aswell.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Dec 2018 14:33

John Smith Because he has never achieved anything as a manager

Well thats absolute tosh for starters!

He's kept teams up, taken teams up and taken teams on great cup runs. Mostly overachieving on limited budgets.

John Smith and his style of play is not what is needed for our club going forward.

That's debatable. He was pretty direct at Bradford yes, but at Colchester they were quite a decent footballing side from what I remember. Personally I'd like to see a side play with a bit of pace and purpose more than some prescribed passing for passing sake.

John Smith Also, there are much better options available to us and this would be an easy fan-pleasing appointment, just as McDermott II was. As I've said in numerous other threads, the dressing room is rotten and it needs someone to knock the egos into shape.

Parky would probably be a great personality to shake up the dressing room and install a few professional disciplines within it. He was a cracking captain, a very well respected PFA rep, and has achieved a lot from limited resources.

Without knowing enough of the personalities and environment involved I'd guess that Parky ticks that box more than many of the supposed alternatives.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Dec 2018 14:59

John Smith
Sanguine
John Smith Quite clearly the reason why neither of you are qualified to offer an opinion/why the opinion you both have offered is oh so very wrong. It would be a dreadful appointment and anyone with an ounce of knowledge knows that.

Do you have a really small penis?
Just can't help but notice you seem unable to post without making derogatory remarks about others.

Bit wrong of you to assume gender there Sanguine. Would have thought you'd be better than that.

Also, is it wrong to have an opinion different to yours, one formed from attending a lot more games in more recent times? Go on, tell me I'm wrong.

I didn't say it was wrong to have a different opinion to me, indeed I didn't even say your opinion was wrong. I said that making derogatory remarks is just being a cnut, it's not stating an opinion on the matter being discussed.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Dec 2018 15:11

Sanguine
John Smith
Sanguine
Do you have a really small penis?
Just can't help but notice you seem unable to post without making derogatory remarks about others.

Bit wrong of you to assume gender there Sanguine. Would have thought you'd be better than that.

Also, is it wrong to have an opinion different to yours, one formed from attending a lot more games in more recent times? Go on, tell me I'm wrong.

I didn't say it was wrong to have a different opinion to me, indeed I didn't even say your opinion was wrong. I said that making derogatory remarks is just being a cnut, it's not stating an opinion on the matter being discussed.

OK sorry.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 11 Dec 2018 15:26

Royalwaster
Hound I think parky would do a decent, if not particularly inspiring job

I’d back him to get a bit of spirit going and sort out the short term issues. Can’t see our mid term ambition being any higher than mid table with him in charge though

Would see him as a bit of a Pardew type - motivator but a bit lacking. Hence we might go on a winning run but equally go on a losing run with nothing to stop the rot ... see Bolton this season: started really well and since have dropped like a stone.

That might be more due to Bolton players not being paid for the last couple of months.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Dec 2018 15:35

genome
Old Man Andrews

He had a nightmare in Germany with 1860 Munich, although he was only given 20 games.

This is my problem with this possibility. Apart from this spell he has worked at one of the strongest teams in a weak league with the best players and done well.

At 1860 he was brought in to turn around a struggling team who were fighting relegation (they were 14th) - they were relegated via the play-offs (finished 16th) - this is the only similar role he has had to us and it went badly wrong.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Dec 2018 15:38

Stranded
genome
Old Man Andrews Closer to home for him though and we have no idea how much he is on either. Depends on his motives I guess. If he is a football man then it is a no brainer for him.

This is my problem with this possibility. Apart from this spell he has worked at one of the strongest teams in a weak league with the best players and done well.

At 1860 he was brought in to turn around a struggling team who were fighting relegation (they were 14th) - they were relegated via the play-offs (finished 16th) - this is the only similar role he has had to us and it went badly wrong.

He loses playoff matches? He'll fit right in then

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 11 Dec 2018 15:40

Old Man Andrews
Diablo Diablo Well if it is Parky then good luck to him, but wrong person at the wrong time.

I am so frustrated with what I have seen for the past few years and will say a lot of things that will wind up the faithful who sit at their keyboard rather than at the ground watching every game.

For once I can see advance planning with the foresight of the club to appoint a league 1 manager for a league 1 club - oops I forget - he will be fired when we go down. There will be a group saying that is what we need ...... goodness me.

He knows the "Reading way" of course (whatever that is) and he left about 15 years ago so meaningful and fully up to date.

At least the deluded rose tinted idiots who sing - one of our own all the time - will be feeling good. By the way Rinhomota is about ready for the team - Loader has potential but way short of a starting position (did you see every throw in to him on Saturday bounce off like a bomb giving the ball away...)

The board will for sure give little money and given January recruitment for permanent transfers is the time to over pay for complete rubbish that will not help - expect a couple of big past it centre forwards (are Chris Martin or Darren Bent available ?) and centre halves ready for hoof ball next year. Should sell Moore at whatever cut price available, not sure anyone will bid for any other player but offload whatever we can.

As I said at the start I do actually wish him well especially on getting some injured players back which is key to have any chance, but have one expectation only.

One very disillusioned season ticket holder .......

P.S. I actually though the performance against Stoke continued to show follow the continued level of gradual improvement and commitment - at home to Sheff Utd we could muster no attempts on target, zero attempts at all in the second half and the first half ones were pathetic at best.....

Diablo Diablo eh?

That was far too well written to be Dangerous Dave.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 11 Dec 2018 15:50

Old Man Andrews
John Smith
Old Man Andrews Closer to home for him though and we have no idea how much he is on either. Depends on his motives I guess. If he is a football man then it is a no brainer for him.

Fantastic question John, thats why you are one of my favourites.

I would go for a shirt and trouser with a long Russian military style coat.

Copy of the Communist Manifesto tucked in a side pocket?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Dec 2018 15:54

Old Man Andrews

No nothing about him tbh.

The lads on twitter can keep their Portugal flags up though, so thats a bonus

DelBoyRodders
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by DelBoyRodders » 11 Dec 2018 16:04

Why on earth are we chasing after these unknown Portuguese blokes who will know nothing about our squad of players, the league we play in or even where Reading is?
They will have had to type Reading FC into Google before realising that we are 45 miles or so from London.
We are currently fighting for survival in the Championship with the worst squad of players in our history. We could easily be relegated this season and with no certainty that this squad of players could even win regular games in League One next season.
The last thing we need at the moment is some bloke from Portugal who has never managed in England before.
This is the wrong time for someone to come in and have to learn all this overnight and hit the ground running ahead of Saturday's game at Rotherham.
Surely it makes more sense to get someone better qualified - there are plenty of options - that's assuming any of them want the job of course.
The timing of Paul Clement's sacking and the information heard and read since suggests they had no idea who they were going to replace him with. Shambolic thing to do mid-season and two games before a huge match.
Saturday's performance against Sheffield was as bad as anything we saw last season which from December 23rd, 2017 onwards (against Burton Albion) was the worst run of performances I have seen from any team in England in all my 54 years.
Normally you see players perform better briefly after a manager is sacked - especially if he had lost the dressing room. Saturday's performance/player reaction speaks volumes for the state this football club is currently in.
Reading could be relegated this season and it's not beyond them to go down again next season.
Forget about fantasy football for the time being and sexy foreign Portuguese managers (that can all come later) - we need someone at the moment with experience of the Championship and English football to knock this squad of players into shape and try and get a tune out of them.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Dec 2018 16:06

Much as I love Parky, he would be a bit of a meh signing for me. An appointment for the now to shake things up and get us playing with a bit of heart and organisation but I just don't see him as a long term option to take us forward. A rich man's Martin Allen.

1436 posts