New Manager

1436 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: New Manager

by Sutekh » 11 Dec 2018 17:43

paultheroyal Odds for Slavisa Jokanovic fascinates me because at 20/1 seems an outsider but that is exactly who we should be going for.

Excellent track record, rescued teams, promoted teams, knows the league, exciting football and is available. Its a no brainer.

Reading FC - what are you doing? Get this done and over the line.

I would say Jokanovic is a no brainer. Plays a passing style, knows the Championship and has been successful in the division recently. On top of that he's currently not in work so no compensation plans to work out.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Dec 2018 17:46

royalp-we :lol: MON is far more successful in club football than the names being touted, aside from this Vitor Pereira bloke.

And George Graham and Howard Wilkinson are more successful than Martin O'Neill. Would you suggest them?

O'Neill has been out of club management for 5 years, has presided over an alarming slide in the fortunes of Ireland and did pretty badly at Sunderland in his last club job in very similar circumstances to ours. He's yesterday's man and an utter cock to boot.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 11 Dec 2018 17:54

From Despair To Where?
royalp-we :lol: MON is far more successful in club football than the names being touted, aside from this Vitor Pereira bloke.

And George Graham and Howard Wilkinson are more successful than Martin O'Neill. Would you suggest them?

No I absolutely wouldn’t. But there’s a reason O’Neill has consistently been in management since 1987. He worked wonders with Wycombe, Leicester and Celtic then built a brilliant team at Villa finishing in the top 6 for 3 seasons running. The end of his tenure with Ireland hasn’t gone so well, but over 30yrs that’s pretty good record, right? I think we would see a bit more respect from the players than other managers coming in. You do realise he’s only been out of management since October?

I want Slavisa in anyway :lol:

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 11 Dec 2018 17:54

Parky now 4/6 with SkyBet

Bearing in mind any new appointment as our new manager will most likely to have been sacked for failure at his pervious job as per most of the candidates, though not totally convinced Parky is our savour at least you can't deny his Reading heritage and connection with our club.

If it is to be him and he keeps us up this season, he can then start to ship out the current load of crap we have as a squad , replace with some decent hard working players which at least is a step in the right direction. I as one fan would give him my total support and backing.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 11 Dec 2018 18:00

Gunny Fishcake Parky now 4/6 with SkyBet

Bearing in mind any new appointment as our new manager will most likely to have been sacked for failure at his pervious job as per most of the candidates, though not totally convinced Parky is our savour at least you can't deny his Reading heritage and connection with our club.

If it is to be him and he keeps us up this season, he can then start to ship out the current load of crap we have as a squad , replace with some decent hard working players which at least is a step in the right direction. I as one fan would give him my total support and backing.

If it is him, I think he will get the support from the fanbase, despite the current understandable reservations.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Dec 2018 18:01

paultheroyal
leon
paultheroyal
Outdated, success going backwards, odious man, no thank you.

my chum once answered the phone to him

was he pig ignorant then too?

No, he was a gentleman by all accounts.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Dec 2018 18:03

BR0B0T
leon
paultheroyal
Outdated, success going backwards, odious man, no thank you.

GAY chat line?

I can't just now BR0Bs I'm quite busy, but you crack on.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 11 Dec 2018 18:11

Sutekh
paultheroyal Odds for Slavisa Jokanovic fascinates me because at 20/1 seems an outsider but that is exactly who we should be going for.

Excellent track record, rescued teams, promoted teams, knows the league, exciting football and is available. Its a no brainer.

I would say Jokanovic is a no brainer. Plays a passing style, knows the Championship and has been successful in the division recently. On top of that he's currently not in work so no compensation plans to work out.

Yeah he's probably read this forum and decided to keep away ... wouldn't you?

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 11 Dec 2018 18:27

Sutekh

Totally agree but dear Nigel doesnt really understand that..he isnt a CEO with football knowledge..that was more down to the DoF feeding him the info, but in the absence of a DoF he finds himself rabbit in headlights..he sacked Clement and didnt think about the next step..Jokanovic would be on most Championships club had they needed a manager but bizarrely not on Nigels...unless Jok has a other job lined up of course

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 11 Dec 2018 18:34

Maybe he's not interested?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Dec 2018 18:36

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL Christ on a bike. let`s get a manager of one of the only two sides below us. all the romantic geeks on social media think he`s the man for us.
His career management record is ordinary in the extreme. 37.7% win rate. how is he the man to keep us up?

Because he has a much higher career win rate than oursis currently, has already worked miracles to keep a very limited Bolton side that's absolutely potless up once when he had no right to do so and is a popular figure with fans.

The popularity will wane after a month of poor results and most of the new post 2006 premier league fans won't even have seen him play.

His managerial career has been mixed at best, and the career win rate is based largely at Bradford in league 2 where they were around the playoffs for years, and the fact that in 18 years no club looking other than those for a cheap option have employed him speaks volumes.

I don't get this "lets get in a playing legend" idea - we need to go for someone who will keep us up, and that's sadly not Parky.

...and the football will be dreadful based on his last few sides I've seen, home and away.

He's not just playing legend though is he. He's an experienced manager.

He has achieved multiple promotions, two to the Championship. He has experienced failure. He's won relegation fights under very challenging circumstances ( including in the Championship) he starts as instantly known and popular with a large section of the crowd. You don't need to have seen him play for us to know or like him as a legend. I know for a fact that there are Fans who'd have to be infants when he played who sing his song, spontaneously without prompting.

He's certainly no less likely to keep us up than any number of other managers. And the pool of decent managers we can realistically call on is very slim. He's right up there.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Dec 2018 18:41

DOYLERSAROYALER
Sutekh

Totally agree but dear Nigel doesnt really understand that..he isnt a CEO with football knowledge..that was more down to the DoF feeding him the info, but in the absence of a DoF he finds himself rabbit in headlights..he sacked Clement and didnt think about the next step..Jokanovic would be on most Championships club had they needed a manager but bizarrely not on Nigels...unless Jok has a other job lined up of course

Firstly, if a man who was CEO of a club for 20 odd years, during their best ever spell doesn't have footballing knowledge who the oxf*rd does?

Secondly, how do you know Jokanovic isnt in Howe's radar just based on his odds?

What makes you a better judge than a man with decades of experience of hiring and firing managers with insider knowledge of the situation?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Dec 2018 19:16

When are people going to learn that a bookies odds are just priced on where they see value and nothing else?

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 11 Dec 2018 19:27

leon
BR0B0T
leon

GAY chat line?

chuckles!

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 11 Dec 2018 19:29

Winston Biscuit When are people going to learn that a bookies odds are just priced on where they see value and nothing else?

bookies/exchanges are a prediction machine tho

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 11 Dec 2018 19:35

leon
paultheroyal
leon

My dealings with Parky back in the day were always a pleasure. After each home match he would sit in a corner of the players bar which was a converted store room at Elm park and just let the other players take centre stage win, lose or draw. Plyers would go to Parky for advice not because they had too but because it was Parky. On the field he was a hard-hitting industrious leader and off it he was a gentleman, a pro and a quietly spoken family man.

This club could do with a Parky right now.

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 11 Dec 2018 19:41

Oilroyal
leon
paultheroyal

My dealings with Parky back in the day were always a pleasure. After each home match he would sit in a corner of the players bar which was a converted store room at Elm park and just let the other players take centre stage win, lose or draw. Plyers would go to Parky for advice not because they had too but because it was Parky. On the field he was a hard-hitting industrious leader and off it he was a gentleman, a pro and a quietly spoken family man.

This club could do with a Parky right now.

Agreed, just not as a Manager.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Dec 2018 19:43

leon
BR0B0T
leon

GAY chat line?

In.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Dec 2018 19:53

So far

Castro said no

Parky may well be nothing more than speculation

Jokanovic does not appear to even have been considered

Press still linking Pards and Bruce to the vacant position

And the Vitor Pereira rumour just worries me

So it’s going to be Gareth Ainsworth.

Or another one of the above.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 11 Dec 2018 20:00

royalp-we
From Despair To Where?

No I absolutely wouldn’t. But there’s a reason O’Neill has consistently been in management since 1987. He worked wonders with Wycombe, Leicester and Celtic then built a brilliant team at Villa finishing in the top 6 for 3 seasons running. The end of his tenure with Ireland hasn’t gone so well, but over 30yrs that’s pretty good record, right? I think we would see a bit more respect from the players than other managers coming in. You do realise he’s only been out of management since October?

I want Slavisa in anyway :lol:

MON is another old school manager who hasn't evolved as the game has. He follows a similar pattern to others- have success a long time ago - fail in club football, move to international (as less time to instill a style of play), fail at international, fizzle out.

File alongside Coleman (albeit with one spell of Gareth Bale magic), Strachan etc

1436 posts