New Manager

1436 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: New Manager

by Royal Rother » 13 Dec 2018 14:11

36% win record at Villa, (sacked in the October and Villa were relegated that season), and an FA Cup Final in the 6 months he was there.

If you think we are going to get someone with a better record you are deluded. But I know that already.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 13 Dec 2018 14:12

Sherwood alienated players that either had egos or that he felt were causing issues so he brought players through the academy. Something people on here have been banging on about for ages.
His record at spurs was very good but he left a very unhappy and unmotivated squad behind. At Villa he did not have the luxury of Kane or Walker coming through the academy to help him out.

Appointing him would probably either break the team to giving up or kick the players up the arse. It way too high risk to get him on board as the players are too fragile.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Dec 2018 14:14

Royal Rother 36% win record at Villa, (sacked in the October and Villa were relegated that season), and an FA Cup Final in the 6 months he was there.

If you think we are going to get someone with a better record you are deluded. But I know that already.

So he was sacked from Aston Villa yeah? In under 8 months? Must have been doing a cracking job.

How did he do at Swindon when he was DOF?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Dec 2018 14:19

Old Man Andrews
Royal Rother 36% win record at Villa, (sacked in the October and Villa were relegated that season), and an FA Cup Final in the 6 months he was there.

So he was sacked from Aston Villa yeah? In under 8 months? Must have been doing a cracking job.

Slaviša Jokanović lasted 4 months in the same league, cracking job he did as well, yet so many fans what him to be appointed.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Dec 2018 14:21

Hendo
Old Man Andrews

Slaviša Jokanović lasted 4 months in the same league, cracking job he did as well, yet so many fans what him to be appointed.

Because of his Championship track record.

How has Tim Sherwood done at Championship level?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Dec 2018 14:30

Old Man Andrews

Seriously? DOF for 6 months at a League 1 side? Means nothing.

Listen, I would be happy enough to see Parkinson, Jokanovic or some of the other names mentioned but Sherwood’s record bears comparison. To get 36% win ratio and an FA Cup Final out of a PL team eventually relegated 6 months later under a different Manager surely bears comparison with what Parkinson has achieved (37% win ratio, mostly in League 1 and 2) and Jokanovic 0% win ratio in the PL.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Dec 2018 14:31

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews

Fcuk me, you really are such a twat! :lol: :lol:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Dec 2018 14:33

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews

So where is the long-term planning if SJ is so good at Champ level but so bad at Prem level. As soon as he gets us up, we will be looking to get rid of him?

Sherwood has never managed at Champ level, only the level above. HTH.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Dec 2018 14:36

Royal Rother
Old Man Andrews

Seriously? DOF for 6 months at a League 1 side? Means nothing.

Listen, I would be happy enough to see Parkinson, Jokanovic or some of the other names mentioned but Sherwood’s record bears comparison. To get 36% win ratio and an FA Cup Final out of a PL team eventually relegated 6 months later under a different Manager surely bears comparison with what Parkinson has achieved (37% win ratio, mostly in League 1 and 2) and Jokanovic 0% win ratio in the PL.

I am just pointing out that his most recent job in football was to oversee Swindon Town's relegation to League 2. It isn't exactly a magical and inspiring endorsement is it?

Parkinson would be far and away a better choice just based on Championship experience alone. No ego either which would be a real concern for me with Sherwood. He managed Aston Villa as if he was doing them some sort of favour by being there. Not sure we need that sort of attitude at the club at this time. If we were in a position where we were doing quite well and needed a manager I might be more open the suggestion of Sherwood but not in a relegation battle.
Last edited by Old Man Andrews on 13 Dec 2018 14:38, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Dec 2018 14:36

Royal Rother
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Just accept you are wrong, no need for names.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Dec 2018 14:38

Old Man Andrews I am just pointing out that his most recent job in football was to oversee Swindon Town's relegation to League 2. It isn't exactly a magical and inspiring endorsement is it?

He wasn't the manager. Manager and DOF are very different roles

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Dec 2018 14:39

genome
Old Man Andrews I am just pointing out that his most recent job in football was to oversee Swindon Town's relegation to League 2. It isn't exactly a magical and inspiring endorsement is it?

You believe Tim Sherwood didn't have overall say in affairs at Swindon Town? You actually think that?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Dec 2018 14:40

Old Man Andrews
genome

You believe Tim Sherwood didn't have overall say in affairs at Swindon Town? You actually think that?

Hello strawman argument!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Dec 2018 14:40

he'd be a huge risk wouldn't he?

He was rated as a coach at Spurs if I remember rightly, and wasn't all bad at Spurs and Villa. Mentally he didn't seem right though for our situation - remember his constant 'what can I do?' type interviews after a defeat

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Dec 2018 14:40

genome
Old Man Andrews
genome

Hello strawman argument!

Answer the question.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Dec 2018 14:42

Old Man Andrews
genome
Old Man Andrews

Hello strawman argument!

Answer the question.

Ok. Yes, he probably had an overall say in affairs at Swindon Town.

But that wasn't the point I was making.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Dec 2018 14:46

genome
Old Man Andrews
genome
Hello strawman argument!

Answer the question.

Ok. Yes, he probably had an overall say in affairs at Swindon Town.

But that wasn't the point I was making.

The point I was making was that his involvement in football thus far hasn't been fantastic. I also haven't heard him linked with any jobs that have come up in recent times either. There must be a reason why he's out of work, he's not a good fit for us at all. Wrong kind of attitude for a relegation battle as Hound pointed out.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Dec 2018 14:46

Royal Rother
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

We need experience. He's managed 56 games, Stam managed 98 and Clement 104.

We'd be making the same mistake we did with Clement and Stam.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Dec 2018 14:50

Courtney Twatface reporting that Phil Parkinson is at the Madejski Stadium.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Dec 2018 14:53

Most of us would be happy to see Parkinson here but his Championship win ratio is just 19%, so although he kept Bolton up against the odds last season I’d be surprised if that record is really good enough to satisfy those who are quick to dismiss Sherwood.

22 wins from 116 games across 4 seasons at Hull, Charlton and Bolton. That really does not inspire confidence.

1436 posts