New Manager

1436 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: New Manager

by Hoop Blah » 13 Dec 2018 16:49

Old Man Andrews I am just pointing out that his most recent job in football was to oversee Swindon Town's relegation to League 2. It isn't exactly a magical and inspiring endorsement is it?

Swindon was a bizarre situation. Sherwood was brought in over the managers head as he was owner Lee Power's best mate and although he was only DoF he was more involved than he should've been without actually being the manager. It was a 6 month battle for power and nobody came out winning and the club was in a bit of a mess (thankfully!).

Maybe if they'd just brought him in as manager it would've worked out a lot better for all involved.

Old Man Andrews Parkinson would be far and away a better choice just based on Championship experience alone. No ego either which would be a real concern for me with Sherwood. He managed Aston Villa as if he was doing them some sort of favour by being there. Not sure we need that sort of attitude at the club at this time. If we were in a position where we were doing quite well and needed a manager I might be more open the suggestion of Sherwood but not in a relegation battle.

Sherwood isn't good for a relegation battle? That's just what he did at Villa, taken over a team heading down and pretty solidly 19th in not having won in 11 games and on a 7 game losing streak. He turned that around, won an FA Cup quarter and semi final and got them to safety with 2 games to go.

They sold Delph and Benteke that summer, plus lost Vlaar, and from memory they never really managed to replace them. Add into the mix Randy Learner had lost interest and it was not an easy job.

That Sherwood's biggest career success to date was turning around a relegation threatened Villa your comment just seems a little odd.

I'd still rather Parkinson, but we could do a lot worse than Sherwood.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 13 Dec 2018 16:53

Anyone remotely happy with Parkinson is an ambitionless dreamer with too many romantic thoughts to see the bigger picture

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Dec 2018 16:55

Coppells Lost Coat Sherwood alienated players that either had egos or that he felt were causing issues so he brought players through the academy. Something people on here have been banging on about for ages.
His record at spurs was very good but he left a very unhappy and unmotivated squad behind. At Villa he did not have the luxury of Kane or Walker coming through the academy to help him out.

Appointing him would probably either break the team to giving up or kick the players up the arse. It way too high risk to get him on board as the players are too fragile.

He wasn't lucky to have Walker or Kane coming through. Walker was a well established first team player by the time Sherwood took over and Kane only played half a dozen or so games for him.

More to the point, Sherwood had played decent part in helping to develop both players as 1st team coach and Technical Director, so any luck he had in having them would've been as a result, in part, of his own work.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 13 Dec 2018 17:14

Old Man Andrews Courtney Twatface reporting that Phil Parkinson is at the Madejski Stadium.

Wonder what Bolton think of this? Have they come out and announced they have officially given us permission to make an approach for their manager? You know, given that Howe/Reading are now doing things the right and proper way again. :wink:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Dec 2018 17:16

Denver Royal
Old Man Andrews Courtney Twatface reporting that Phil Parkinson is at the Madejski Stadium.

Wonder what Bolton think of this? Have they come out and announced they have officially given us permission to make an approach for their manager? You know, given that Howe/Reading are now doing things the right and proper way again. :wink:

Bolton's leading reporter has come out to say this is complete bollocks. No surprise really, the Chronicle just make it up as they go along.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Dec 2018 17:18

Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Now now, no need for names...

Old Man Andrews
Just accept you are wrong, no need for names.

There is for that bellend. I was being kind.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 13 Dec 2018 17:28

Charles Watts (who is always reliable) agreeing with Bolton News reporter that there is currently nothing in the Parky reports.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Dec 2018 17:33

Kitsondinho Charles Watts (who is always reliable) agreeing with Bolton News reporter that there is currently nothing in the Parky reports.

The Chronicle have been put up to this, probably by someone working for Nigel Howe. Anthony Smith at the Chronicle has gone absolutely mad in the last couple of days. He has a huge agenda for Parkinson.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Dec 2018 18:00

Looks like Watts still has his contacts;

They will eventually get someone, it will be dressed up as an appointment stemming from a well put together process. But it's been anything but. Thought Castro was in the bag, pulled the trigger on Clement, Castro got cold feet. Now scrambling. Hopefully they rescue the situation

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Dec 2018 18:02

genome
winchester_royal
genome
Because that was his fault :|

It was, of course, a little tongue in cheek.

However, if you think the CEO won't have been heavily involved in decisions such as taking on the Vibrac loan then I think there's a little bit of ostrich behaviour going on.

Of course we've all enjoyed using Samuelson and Zingarevich as the scapegoats for that period in our history, but this idea of Howe being an innocent bystander during all of that mess is, in my humble opinion, a little naive.

Sure. But he was also CEO during the most successful period in our club's history. You can't just cherry-pick reasons to demonstrate incompetence

Surely this is missing the point that saying someone's record is far from faultless is not the same as saying they are incompetent.

There is a strong tendency at the moment to look at Howe as a saviour who will make everything wonderful again through his very presence. Reminding everyone that Howe's been involved in some sizeable failures is just a way of trying to keep people's heads out of the clouds.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Dec 2018 18:08

Snowflake Royal Surely this is missing the point that saying someone's record is far from faultless is not the same as saying they are incompetent.

Simon's Church It took 2 days after Stan was sacked for us to appoint Clement. It's now been a week with no manager and the rumours are we still don't have a shortlist.

Glad that we finally have a competent CEO in charge.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Dec 2018 18:15

genome
Snowflake Royal Surely this is missing the point that saying someone's record is far from faultless is not the same as saying they are incompetent.

Simon's Church It took 2 days after Stan was sacked for us to appoint Clement. It's now been a week with no manager and the rumours are we still don't have a shortlist.

Glad that we finally have a competent CEO in charge.

I didn't get the sense that winch was really endorsing that exact point.

My apologies that I misunderstood you were still focused on the daft comment from SC rather than talking about what winch said in particular.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Dec 2018 18:19

I'm glad you can admit your mistakes, Ian.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Dec 2018 18:27

genome I'm glad you can admit your mistakes, Ian.

Always have been.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Dec 2018 18:58

Snowflake Royal There is a strong tendency at the moment to look at Howe as a saviour who will make everything wonderful again through his very presence.

CEO's don't build their reputations over night. No one is expecting an instanteous transformation. More of laying bricks for the future. A club like Reading needs to promote from within.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Dec 2018 19:21

We seem to be struggling to attract decent candidates for the job. Unfortunately we haven’t been such an unattractive proposition for many years.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Dec 2018 19:39

Two managers sacked within a year...what’d expect?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Dec 2018 19:54

Zip We seem to be struggling to attract decent candidates for the job. Unfortunately we haven’t been such an unattractive proposition for many years.

Providing we get the right manager doesn't matter how decent they appear to be. With our current league position possible that relegation is on the cards. Some potential managers may prefer staying where they are. Than getting sacked in a few months time. Big upheaval on a personal level to take up the job.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 13 Dec 2018 19:59

Taken from Newsnow article this evening....

Royals were interested in former Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic, but the Serbian's wage demands were too high and he was not interested in the position

Again sounds like poor reporting...if he wasnt interested in the position anyway..what did the wages have to do with it ??

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Dec 2018 20:16

Unfortunately I don’t think Sports journalists are required to have the ability to string coherent logical sentences together these days.

1436 posts