New Manager

1436 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: New Manager

by Hoop Blah » 13 Dec 2018 20:45

Zip We seem to be struggling to attract decent candidates for the job. Unfortunately we haven’t been such an unattractive proposition for many years.

Absolutely agree on the second part, but how do you know about the first?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Dec 2018 20:48

I expect Parky would take it in a shot. Ainsworth as well

Bruce, Jokanovic maybe not.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Dec 2018 21:10

Hound I expect Parky would take it in a shot. Ainsworth as well

Bruce, Jokanovic maybe not.

Yeah, you've got to question how long Parky can stay at Bolton under difficult conditions before he needs to move on / they panic sack him to try to buy the points they need. If I was him I'd want some assurance I'm not just getting sacked in four months if we're still in the relegation zone / get relegated though.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Dec 2018 21:18

Parky might take us down (shrug) but could/would be the guy to take us up again...but then what?

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 13 Dec 2018 21:18

DOYLERSAROYALER Taken from Newsnow article this evening....

Royals were interested in former Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic, but the Serbian's wage demands were too high and he was not interested in the position

Again sounds like poor reporting...if he wasnt interested in the position anyway..what did the wages have to do with it ??

I wouldnt believe any of that. In this day and age, if you want to stay in Football Management you either have to be world class / Top end, or like most 'Managers' who aren't, take the opportunities as they land. The Reading job is still attractive to the latter, as long as the boxes are ticked - such as wages, transfer budget, owners vision , and whats expected of them in the short term.

We wont float everybodies boat - but if the Chinese are ambitous - and I think they are - they will do everything they can to get their Man .

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 13 Dec 2018 21:34

Zip We seem to be struggling to attract decent candidates for the job. Unfortunately we haven’t been such an unattractive proposition for many years.

You say that, but they weren’t exactly queuing up to manage us in the prem. Clarke seemed to get the job instantly, and Stam (who was a managerial no one) turned us down initially.

Let’s face it, we’re not an overly attractive proposition for anyone.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 13 Dec 2018 21:45

I wouldn`t want us to be an attraction for top end managers, just because they do it at money bag clubs won`t mean they can do it here.
lets get someone in that want to build a career from the lower leagues. Danny Cowley springs to mind.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Dec 2018 22:08

AthleticoSpizz Parky might take us down (shrug) but could/would be the guy to take us up again...but then what?

Well, if we'd come up, we'd have a team in form used to winning. If it happened under Parky it would have to have been in one, maybe two seasons. So you'd obviously have to see how he could do with a team with good resources and size (which we should still have in that scenario. Assuming he took us to staying up comfortably you'd see if he could build on that over a season, maybe two. If not or we backslid you'd part company gratefully and look for someone to take the next step from a stronger position.

All hypothetical obviously.

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 13 Dec 2018 22:13

CountryRoyal

You say that, but they weren’t exactly queuing up to manage us in the prem. Clarke seemed to get the job instantly, and Stam (who was a managerial no one) turned us down initially.

Really? I'm pretty sure that a six figure salary in football management, is a very attractive proposition for the majority!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Dec 2018 22:21

Hoop Blah

A number of managers have ruled themselves out of the job.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Dec 2018 23:08

Zip
Hoop Blah

Only one manager has done that, the rest is based on paper talk, and all the papers seem to be contradicting each other, so go figure

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 13 Dec 2018 23:21

Too many people read media reports and believe it all to be true, Castro was reported to be out of the running reported on sky news, yet on sky bet he`s second favourite.
It`s all guesswork, no sod knows what`s happening except them upstairs. but in the meantime we will keep reading papers watching TV and social media , even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Dec 2018 23:28

genome
Zip
Hoop Blah

Only one manager has done that, the rest is based on paper talk, and all the papers seem to be contradicting each other, so go figure

Jokanovic? Bruce? According to Watts they ruled themselves out. Maybe he has it wrong.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Dec 2018 23:34

Zip
genome
Zip

Jokanovic? Bruce? According to Watts they ruled themselves out. Maybe he has it wrong.

Sky reported that Jokanovic had ruled himself out a few days ago. Then some other journos said we were in talks with him, now someone else is saying we're not... to be honest keeping up with it all is just exhausting.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Dec 2018 23:37

genome
Zip
genome

Sky reported that Jokanovic had ruled himself out a few days ago. Then some other journos said we were in talks with him, now someone else is saying we're not... to be honest keeping up with it all is just exhausting.

Yeah, unless it's a direct quote or they've published it themselves it's not exactly confirmed.

Too much 'sources tell me' these days.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Dec 2018 23:38

genome
Zip
genome

We may well end up with a manager that’s not even on the radar. These betting odds dont make a lot of sense.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Dec 2018 00:07

Snowflake Royal
genome
Zip

Yeah, unless it's a direct quote or they've published it themselves it's not exactly confirmed.

Too much 'sources tell me' these days.

My sources are telling me that Ainsworth wants to fulfil his obligations with Wycombe this Saturday and then speak to Reading on Sunday.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Dec 2018 00:20

El Diablo
CountryRoyal

Really? I'm pretty sure that a six figure salary in football management, is a very attractive proposition for the majority!

I’m guessing you mean 7 because a 6 figure salary isn’t shit in this industry at this level.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 14 Dec 2018 00:38

Snowflake Royal If I was Parky I’d want some assurance I'm not just getting sacked in four months if we're still in the relegation zone / get relegated though.

He might want that (who wouldn’t?), but tbh not sure Parky’s achievements in footy management thus far are enough to leverage that. Would he command that at most other Champ clubs? Its not as if he’d be leaving utopia at Bolton anyway.

It’s a results business they are in, and they all know it. Have to think we (or any club) would want to reserve the right to want to get rid if things went tits up, didn’t win another game, etc, and quite frankly so would I.

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 14 Dec 2018 00:42

CountryRoyal
El Diablo
CountryRoyal

I’m guessing you mean 7 because a 6 figure salary isn’t shit in this industry at this level.

No. £800k would probably put as in the top 6 salary wise, in the Champ

1436 posts