New Manager

1436 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: New Manager

by CountryRoyal » 14 Dec 2018 00:51

And you’re basing this on what exactly? I’m hoping something more substantial than your imagination.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Dec 2018 07:40

windermereROYAL Too many people read media reports and believe it all to be true, Castro was reported to be out of the running reported on sky news, yet on sky bet he`s second favourite.
It`s all guesswork, no sod knows what`s happening except them upstairs. but in the meantime we will keep reading papers watching TV and social media , even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Yeah, they have no clue either.

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 14 Dec 2018 08:11

CountryRoyal And you’re basing this on what exactly? I’m hoping something more substantial than your imagination.

The point being that £800k would probably be very attractive to most Mangers in this league.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Dec 2018 09:17

El Diablo
CountryRoyal And you’re basing this on what exactly? I’m hoping something more substantial than your imagination.

The point being that £800k would probably be very attractive to most Mangers in this league.

Plenty of players earn that.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 14 Dec 2018 09:28

Zip These betting odds dont make a lot of sense.

Definitely. Especially when Graham Westley is out there at 20/1!!! :shock: :D :D

AthleticoSpizz Parky might take us down (shrug) but could/would be the guy to take us up again...but then what?

Exactly my point. We need to be looking beyond that - survival minimum this season then go again next season. One of the beauties of the Championship is that you can scrape survival one season then push for playoffs the next, it really is as open as that. Phil Parkinson would not be able to take us to the Premier League.

I'm edging towards Carvahal out of the realistic options there are left, but then do we just become a graveyard for ex-Swans managers (failures)?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Dec 2018 09:59

John Smith
Zip These betting odds dont make a lot of sense.

Definitely. Especially when Graham Westley is out there at 20/1!!! :shock: :D :D

Put a £1 on him and his odds will probably come in to 8-1.

To be honest, the only name suggested that's got me even remotely enthused has been Garcia and even with him I kept thinking "Yeah, but..."

It's just a monumentally unatractive job attracting a monumentally unatractive list of potential candidates. No-one trying to build a reputation will want to touch us, it's not a job for your last chance salooners so I reckon we'll get some ambitious first timer with not a lot to lose.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Dec 2018 10:18

my guess is we may well come back round to one of Parkinson, Ainsworth or possibly Simon Grayson (who actually has a decent enough record outside of Sunderland). All of whom would be keen

There's plenty of scope there tbf, I'm surprised managers are ruling themselves out. New training ground on the way, possibly money to spend and some talent in the squad (though a huge chunk need to be moved on quickly)

Possibly some of the most forgiving fans in the country as well.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 14 Dec 2018 10:29

Hound possibly Simon Grayson (who actually has a decent enough record outside of Sunderland).

Are you saying you'd be happy enough with Grayson?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Dec 2018 10:33

John Smith
Hound possibly Simon Grayson (who actually has a decent enough record outside of Sunderland).

Are you saying you'd be happy enough with Grayson?

I think he did a good job with Preston.

But no, wouldn't be delighted with him.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Dec 2018 10:42

I think we have to aim a little higher than Simon Grayson. Would be a disgusting appointment.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 14 Dec 2018 10:55

Old Man Andrews I think we have to aim a little higher than Simon Grayson. Would be a disgusting appointment.

Quite. I was worried that Hound would be happy with him.

A message to you all: if you would be accepting of Grayson then you are part of the problem

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Dec 2018 11:07

Zip
Hoop Blah
Zip We seem to be struggling to attract decent candidates for the job. Unfortunately we haven’t been such an unattractive proposition for many years.

Absolutely agree on the second part, but how do you know about the first?

A number of managers have ruled themselves out of the job.

You mean that's what you've been told by twitter and/or the press who seem to be making up as much stuff as ever.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Dec 2018 11:08

Hoop Blah
Zip
Hoop Blah
Absolutely agree on the second part, but how do you know about the first?

You mean that's what you've been told by twitter and/or the press who seem to be making up as much stuff as ever.

Yeah Phil Parkinson was apparently at the Madejski Stadium yesterday too......... I am not believing any speculation about our manager search anymore, pointless.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 14 Dec 2018 11:14

windermereROYAL even a broken clock is right twice a day.

That's more often than Courtney Friday...

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 14 Dec 2018 11:47

Old Man Andrews
Hoop Blah
Zip

Yeah Phil Parkinson was apparently at the Madejski Stadium yesterday too......... I am not believing any speculation about our manager search anymore, pointless.

So you are not believing any speculation. Yet you post that Ainsworth is going to speak to RFC on Sunday.

Weird.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Dec 2018 12:06

Barney
Old Man Andrews
Hoop Blah

So you are not believing any speculation. Yet you post that Ainsworth is going to speak to RFC on Sunday.

Weird.

I am providing the specualtion.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Dec 2018 12:59

El Diablo

Right and that is significantly closer to a 7 figure salary then a base 6 figure salary, which is almost always the assumption when using it in that context.

Regardless, I stand by my point I’d love to see some figures out there if they exist and are reliable. Otherwise it is just speculation, from both of us in fairness.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Dec 2018 14:05

Mid Sussex Royal
URZZZZ
Nameless Where ones this idea that it was NH’s idea to sack Clement come from ?
Was it his idea to sack Gourlay ?
Much more likely that the owners decided that their various senior staff weren’t delivering and needed to be replaced, so they removed Gourlay, replaced him with NH and told NH his first job was to find a new manager.
Our owners are experienced football people ( way more so then SJM was), I suspect the changes have come from them directly.

Why did they take so long to sack Stam though? He should have gone after Burton, or at the very least the Birmingham home game, but he ploughed on till the end of March with about 1 win in that time

Are you having a laugh? Yes the Burton game started the rot but we were still in play off contention just about then...

Cardiff game started the rot FYI, in the 82nd minute we were comfortably 2-0 up and we threw the game away before winning three more times the whole season. Burton at home was supposed to be a memorable event with the club promoting £5 tickets for the 500th game, it was Stam's chance to win back supporters and we spent the game passing between the back four and we lost. Stam still then made his usual dig after the game slating the supporters

So yes, Stam should have gone after Burton

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Dec 2018 14:20

URZZZZ
Mid Sussex Royal
URZZZZ
Why did they take so long to sack Stam though? He should have gone after Burton, or at the very least the Birmingham home game, but he ploughed on till the end of March with about 1 win in that time

Are you having a laugh? Yes the Burton game started the rot but we were still in play off contention just about then...

Cardiff game started the rot FYI, in the 82nd minute we were comfortably 2-0 up and we threw the game away before winning three more times the whole season. Burton at home was supposed to be a memorable event with the club promoting £5 tickets for the 500th game, it was Stam's chance to win back supporters and we spent the game passing between the back four and we lost. Stam still then made his usual dig after the game slating the supporters

Yep. Think that was the general feel, that he really lost any support after that awful game. Not just the result, but the pitiful performance and attitude of both the players and Stam himself.

If not that game, would have sacked him after Brum a few weeks later

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Dec 2018 14:23

Hound
URZZZZ
Mid Sussex Royal

Yep. Think that was the general feel, that he really lost any support after that awful game. Not just the result, but the pitiful performance and attitude of both the players and Stam himself.

If not that game, would have sacked him after Brum a few weeks later

Did you notice that not really a lot came out about the Stam era post him leaving? I would be interested to know how he was on a day to day basis, how did he deal with discipline issues, how hands on he was etc. There wasn't really anything that I can remember coming out from the players or ex-players/staff about him.

1436 posts