New Manager

1436 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: New Manager

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Dec 2018 12:05

bracksroyal10 Don't shoot the messenger

I've heard this weekend through Ainsworth's Sunday League football scene that he would love to get the Reading job and that he has put himself forward for it. I know nothing beyond this but it would seem he is pretty up for it.

This is 100% true. He wants the job but I know for a fact Reading will be put off by his buyout clause.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 17 Dec 2018 12:10

Old Man Andrews

I've heard this weekend through Ainsworth's Sunday League football scene that he would love to get the Reading job and that he has put himself forward for it. I know nothing beyond this but it would seem he is pretty up for it.

This is 100% true. He wants the job but I know for a fact Reading will be put off by his buyout clause.

Your just teasing me now :cry:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Dec 2018 12:12

Ascotexgunner
Old Man Andrews

It is totally true he wants it and he has a huge clause in his Wycombe deal that he signed in June. Huge risk to take for the club.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Dec 2018 12:14

would quite like Ainsworth as well

His record at Wycombe is very good considering what he has had to work with

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 17 Dec 2018 12:16

Old Man Andrews
Ascotexgunner
Old Man Andrews

It is totally true he wants it and he has a huge clause in his Wycombe deal that he signed in June. Huge risk to take for the club.

We could throw in Aluko and some cash :) ..... Tell em hes world class and worth every penny we paid for him.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 17 Dec 2018 12:22

Old Man Andrews
Royal Rother
Old Man Andrews
So he was sacked from Aston Villa yeah? In under 8 months? Must have been doing a cracking job.

How did he do at Swindon when he was DOF?

Seriously? DOF for 6 months at a League 1 side? Means nothing.

Listen, I would be happy enough to see Parkinson, Jokanovic or some of the other names mentioned but Sherwood’s record bears comparison. To get 36% win ratio and an FA Cup Final out of a PL team eventually relegated 6 months later under a different Manager surely bears comparison with what Parkinson has achieved (37% win ratio, mostly in League 1 and 2) and Jokanovic 0% win ratio in the PL.

I am just pointing out that his most recent job in football was to oversee Swindon Town's relegation to League 2. It isn't exactly a magical and inspiring endorsement is it?

Parkinson would be far and away a better choice just based on Championship experience alone. No ego either which would be a real concern for me with Sherwood. He managed Aston Villa as if he was doing them some sort of favour by being there. Not sure we need that sort of attitude at the club at this time. If we were in a position where we were doing quite well and needed a manager I might be more open the suggestion of Sherwood but not in a relegation battle.

I'm of the opposite opinion actually. Reckon his confrontational style and willingness to play the youth if the more senior players don't toe the line might be beneficial to us in the short term. I just don't think he's the sort of personality who can sustain that over a longer period of time.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Dec 2018 12:23

Ascotexgunner
Old Man Andrews
Ascotexgunner

We could throw in Aluko and some cash :) ..... Tell em hes world class and worth every penny we paid for him.

As much as we all would love that I don't think Wycombe could aford 5% of his wages. The constraints Ainsworth has been under and the success he has had despite those constraints make him a very credible candidate for us. His ability to bring through the youth players also would make him a great fit here.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 17 Dec 2018 12:50

Old Man Andrews
Ascotexgunner
Old Man Andrews

As much as we all would love that I don't think Wycombe could aford 5% of his wages. The constraints Ainsworth has been under and the success he has had despite those constraints make him a very credible candidate for us. His ability to bring through the youth players also would make him a great fit here.

I'd 100% prefer to gamble on someone with knowledge of the English game as a pose to some Portuguese manager with no EFL experience with the greatest respect.

I've been to a couple of Wycombe games this year and the one thing I would say about any Ainsworth side is that it is a team effort and desire throughout. We need a manager who can rally the fans and players together in the community as well as around the pitch. From the few occasions I have spoken with him he is a very likable person who wouldn't have any trouble endearing himself to the fans.

For me he ticks all the boxes and is no more of a gamble than any of the other contenders

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 17 Dec 2018 13:00

Agreed. Ainsworth is a very likeable, very approachable guy - and he likes a beer or two.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 17 Dec 2018 13:34

At this rate I would rather Marshall get the job then some unknown Portuguese manager, with some slimely agent getting his cut out of it.
Dont get me wrong, the guys mentioned could be the next Pep, who knows but at this stage we need knowledge and clear instruction.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Dec 2018 14:09

Old Man Andrews
Ascotexgunner
Old Man Andrews

Odd how random people have detailed knowledge of confidential employment contracts. Amazing how frequently posters manage to be ITK about these things.
Seems highly unlikely that a Div 1 club would get a manager to handcuff himself by agreeing to a multi million pound release clause. Ainsworth isn’tgoing to Be earning a fortune at Wycombe and a huge buyout clause could only be justified if it in some way related to what he is being paid.
If he is the candidate we want to couldn’t see us balking at paying a substantial (butnot ridiculous) release fee. If he wants to come to us then as we have learned ourselves in the past a deal will be done.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Dec 2018 14:12

Nameless
Old Man Andrews
Ascotexgunner

Odd how random people have detailed knowledge of confidential employment contracts. Amazing how frequently posters manage to be ITK about these things.
Seems highly unlikely that a Div 1 club would get a manager to handcuff himself by agreeing to a multi million pound release clause. Ainsworth isn’tgoing to Be earning a fortune at Wycombe and a huge buyout clause could only be justified if it in some way related to what he is being paid.
If he is the candidate we want to couldn’t see us balking at paying a substantial (butnot ridiculous) release fee. If he wants to come to us then as we have learned ourselves in the past a deal will be done.

It is £1.5m and the deal runs up until 2023. I don't offer the info up readily for the exact reason you mentioned, I don't want to appear ITK and I am not normally. In the case of Wycombe and Ainsworth I have inside knowledge though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Dec 2018 14:18

why did he sign that deal? Bit foolish of him that.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Dec 2018 14:21

Hound why did he sign that deal? Bit foolish of him that.

Signed it in June this year. He loves Wycombe, improved his deal and gave him a bit of a budget for once too. He turned down huge money from Barnsley last season when Wycombe were in League 2 and Barnsley were a Championship side, he's not a money chaser by any means. Proper football bloke from what I am told. Loves the project there but couldn't turn us down for geography reasons. Step up and close to home.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Dec 2018 14:34

Old Man Andrews

Signed it in June this year. He loves Wycombe, improved his deal and gave him a bit of a budget for once too. He turned down huge money from Barnsley last season when Wycombe were in League 2 and Barnsley were a Championship side, he's not a money chaser by any means. Proper football bloke from what I am told. Loves the project there but couldn't turn us down for geography reasons. Step up and close to home.

yep, and quite possibly just priced himself out of that move

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Dec 2018 14:38

Hound
Old Man Andrews

I think it was because of Barnsley's approach last season. Wycombe who gave Ainsworth his chance in management would have lost him for literally nothing, they naturally just want to protect themselves. The figure of £1.5m isn't something I have verified personally, comes from a member of the Wycombe coaching set up.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 17 Dec 2018 14:51

Pepe the Horseman Honestly think our best bet now is to just give it to Marshall until the end of the season. The owners' picks seem to be becoming more and more underwhelming. The last thing we need is to bring someone in for the sake of it, and then have to pay them off at the end of the season. Let's just see where we are in the summer. If we stay up we might be more attractive to a "higher caliber" candidate. If we go down we can look to the likes of Ainsworth to get us back up.

If Marshall does get the job until June and keeps us up, he would deserve to be our manager next year as well.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 17 Dec 2018 14:53

Heard this Thursday last week, he apparently has been interviewed too!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Dec 2018 15:25

Old Man Andrews
Hound
Old Man Andrews

I think it was because of Barnsley's approach last season. Wycombe who gave Ainsworth his chance in management would have lost him for literally nothing, they naturally just want to protect themselves. The figure of £1.5m isn't something I have verified personally, comes from a member of the Wycombe coaching set up.

According to the internet the Wycombe coaching staff consist several of just 2 people. One of whom is Ainsworth , the other is Richard Dobson ! No reserve team, no Academy, no goalkeeping coach. Incredible that a club can operate like that these days.
I’m guessing if he did move he wouldn’t insist on bringing his staff with him...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Dec 2018 15:27

Nameless
Old Man Andrews
Hound

According to the internet the Wycombe coaching staff consist several of just 2 people. One of whom is Ainsworth , the other is Richard Dobson ! No reserve team, no Academy, no goalkeeping coach. Incredible that a club can operate like that these days.
I’m guessing if he did move he wouldn’t insist on bringing his staff with him...

They've got coaches who work in the youth set up etc. A lot are part time though, they are quite a remarkable club in all honesty. The fact they have got where they are is purely down to Ainsworth.

1436 posts