Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: New Manager

by Denver Royal » 17 Dec 2018 15:31

Old Man Andrews
Nameless
Old Man Andrews
It is totally true he wants it and he has a huge clause in his Wycombe deal that he signed in June. Huge risk to take for the club.

Odd how random people have detailed knowledge of confidential employment contracts. Amazing how frequently posters manage to be ITK about these things.
Seems highly unlikely that a Div 1 club would get a manager to handcuff himself by agreeing to a multi million pound release clause. Ainsworth isn’tgoing to Be earning a fortune at Wycombe and a huge buyout clause could only be justified if it in some way related to what he is being paid.
If he is the candidate we want to couldn’t see us balking at paying a substantial (butnot ridiculous) release fee. If he wants to come to us then as we have learned ourselves in the past a deal will be done.

he's the guy we wa
It is £1.5m and the deal runs up until 2023. I don't offer the info up readily for the exact reason you mentioned, I don't want to appear ITK and I am not normally. In the case of Wycombe and Ainsworth I have inside knowledge though.

Andrews, thanks for the info. I don't think 1.5m should put us off. If he's the guy they really want (and I'm not sure he is), then so be it.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Dec 2018 15:32

Denver Royal
Old Man Andrews
Nameless
Odd how random people have detailed knowledge of confidential employment contracts. Amazing how frequently posters manage to be ITK about these things.
Seems highly unlikely that a Div 1 club would get a manager to handcuff himself by agreeing to a multi million pound release clause. Ainsworth isn’tgoing to Be earning a fortune at Wycombe and a huge buyout clause could only be justified if it in some way related to what he is being paid.
If he is the candidate we want to couldn’t see us balking at paying a substantial (butnot ridiculous) release fee. If he wants to come to us then as we have learned ourselves in the past a deal will be done.

he's the guy we wa
It is £1.5m and the deal runs up until 2023. I don't offer the info up readily for the exact reason you mentioned, I don't want to appear ITK and I am not normally. In the case of Wycombe and Ainsworth I have inside knowledge though.

Andrews, thanks for the info. I don't think 1.5m should put us off. If he's the guy they really want (and I'm not sure he is), then so be it.

Yeah I don't think we want him either which is a shame. He is in the background in case all else fails I feel.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Dec 2018 15:43

Old Man Andrews
Yeah I don't think we want him either which is a shame. He is in the background in case all else fails I feel.

A lot seems to be failing so I wouldn't write this off. I'd be happy with him too: young with fresh ideas and some good achievements early on in his career.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 17 Dec 2018 15:54

CountryRoyal
Denver Royal
CountryRoyal Lol we going down

Sounds like a decent resume, tbf?

200 matches over a 13 year career in mostly absolute pish leagues doesn’t inspire much confidence to me. Hardly screams “I’m the man to galvanise a bunch of underperforming overpaid dross from the second division of a country I’ve never managed in before”.

Strong pass from me.

Interestingly, Espírito Santo's win rate at Rio Ave was 39.7% and he only upped this when he went to clubs with a bit of financial clout (Valencia 51.6% and Porto 55.1%) so I guess it's all a bit of a gamble. Would he have done well at Wolves without their (somewhat dodgy) investment?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Dec 2018 16:31

Whoever it is will split our whinging fan base down the middle. just have to accept the choice we make and support the new man.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Dec 2018 16:41

windermereROYAL Whoever it is will split our whinging fan base down the middle. just have to accept the choice we make and support the new man.

yep

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 17 Dec 2018 16:45

windermereROYAL Whoever it is will split our whinging fan base down the middle. just have to accept the choice we make and support the new man.

Stand by for either Bruce or Pardew.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Dec 2018 17:16

I think whoever we get in will divide opinion. Is there a realistic appointment that wouldn't?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 Dec 2018 17:20

leon I think whoever we get in will divide opinion. Is there a realistic appointment that wouldn't?

He may not be the 1st choice, but starting to think Ainsworth may be the most unifying?

But yes, even if the new bloke comes in and does great, it will inflict some pain, which will be visited on everyone else.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 17 Dec 2018 17:24

From the wide variety of suggestions leaked or floated it seems to me that at least three parties think they are in charge of the recruitment process - Nigel, spivy agent and owner.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Dec 2018 17:31

Fox Talbot From the wide variety of suggestions leaked or floated it seems to me that at least three parties think they are in charge of the recruitment process - Nigel, spivy agent and owner.

We can't even recruit the recruiter!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Dec 2018 17:46

Old Man Andrews
genome Same, not sold on this guy at all. Would prefer Ainsworth, or even just Marshall 'til the end of the season...

Marshall is accidently now getting himself into a good position. If he is in charge for Middlesbrough and we pick up a win I think he gets it until the end of the season. Really would worry me in the January window though, can't see the owners trusting him with any cash. Might be a case of just doing enough to stay up with what we have and then seeing which managers are available in the summer. Owners can then invest heaviliy then.

You what? Good position? You lot would be baying for blood with our last two results if Clement or Stam had been in charge.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 17 Dec 2018 17:57

In the fantasy betting market Scott Marshall in to 7/1 from nowhere , Parky in to 2/1 , Gomes evens all with SkyBet

Dream for me would be Brynjar Gunnarsson available at 25/1 ! Love that man and the manner and way he played for us , so much so I named myself after him :D
Last edited by Gunny Fishcake on 17 Dec 2018 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 17 Dec 2018 17:59

Old Man Andrews
Simon's Church
Pepe the Horseman Yep. He's had about 20 different clubs, hasn't been at any of them for longer than two years, and has won fcuk all.

Wow can't believe anyone would be down about this one. Do you not remember when he single handedly kept Al-taawoun up against all the odds? Or his spectacular 18 months at videoton?

Easy to look down on the Saudi Arabia professional league or the Hungarian national championship but when you think about it, in terms of attendance and quality, they're actually right up there with the likes of Moldova and Uzbekistan.

Gomes seems like a perfect fit for us.

Let's be happy about this appointment because Simon's Church can copy and paste Gomes' Wikipedia.....

If only Jonathan Low could. From his article...

The most he has spent at any club as manager is 52 days, so he is not one to stay at a club for too long a period.

It's 52 games, not days (or it would be if the true number wasn't 56).

Regardless, there appears to be zero logic to this one beyond this agent/advisor getting a cut, pretty much like every player he advised us to sign.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Dec 2018 18:02

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
genome Same, not sold on this guy at all. Would prefer Ainsworth, or even just Marshall 'til the end of the season...

Marshall is accidently now getting himself into a good position. If he is in charge for Middlesbrough and we pick up a win I think he gets it until the end of the season. Really would worry me in the January window though, can't see the owners trusting him with any cash. Might be a case of just doing enough to stay up with what we have and then seeing which managers are available in the summer. Owners can then invest heaviliy then.

You what? Good position? You lot would be baying for blood with our last two results if Clement or Stam had been in charge.

And performances. Don't forget performances.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Dec 2018 18:29

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews

Nothing to do with performance. Just simply because of a lack of progress on securing an external manager. Win over Boro will see him get the job for that reason alone.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Dec 2018 18:51

Fox Talbot From the wide variety of suggestions leaked or floated it seems to me that at least three parties think they are in charge of the recruitment process - Nigel, spivy agent and owner.

That's just impatience. There's a process of receiving applications, garnering interest before a formal process will even begin. Pleased that time is being taken to get the right person in for the job. Little point in another Clarke scenario where wants out no sooner than he started. Need a manager that accepts relegation may be part of the job offer. Seeing the project through for years not months is essential.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Dec 2018 18:54

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews

Seems to be selecting the match day squad without fear. Easy to fill with established pros. Instead going for the players with character. Who want to pull the shirt on. The ommissions speak volumes about desire and commitment. Knowing the U23's is a definate bonus.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Dec 2018 20:17

It would appear Anthony Smith is getting so desperate he is believing the Jardim rumour that some spotty kid has made up.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Dec 2018 20:24

Silver Fox
Zip Apparently Gomes is happy in Portugal so I guess we may be rebuffed again.

Don't we have to actually offer someone the job in order to get rebuffed?

Tbf these Portuguese agents are working hard planting all these stories just now

I did say “may” rather than will.

1436 posts