New Manager

1436 posts
BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: New Manager

by BR0B0T » 07 Dec 2018 18:55

Lower West
Winston Biscuit
Listened to a podcast recently which discussed the effect a new manager can have and the stats to back up the 'bounce' effect and they said it shows if a new manager doesn't get the desired reaction from the players and a change in performance in his first 8 games you should get rid and start again

Alex Ferguson at Man Utd. Played 8. W1 D1 L6

Sums up modern football and the treatment of managers. .

that's just one bit of anecdoughtal evidence m8

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Dec 2018 19:15

BR0B0T
Lower West
Winston Biscuit
Listened to a podcast recently which discussed the effect a new manager can have and the stats to back up the 'bounce' effect and they said it shows if a new manager doesn't get the desired reaction from the players and a change in performance in his first 8 games you should get rid and start again

People just remember the good times. There was no overnight success. No trophies for 3 years. A point away from relegation. Easy to overlook what Ferguson built over the years he was there. Not just the teams but an entire infrastructure within the club. Hardly surprising the same levels aren't being reached now. Empires rise and wane. That's life.

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 07 Dec 2018 21:17

I would say that 3 teams now have sussed out Paul Clement fairly quickly. Words from player like Darren Bent didn't flatter him - the fact that under him one of our best players in Barrow has essentially turned to sh*t - I don't think we are exactly losing a lot.

I do agree that most of the time, managers are sacked too quickly and they should be given more time to build, but I don't think that would work with Clement at this club (or probably any), and I feel we've got to now pick a manager for the long term. Whoever it is faces a massive task and possibly a relegation - but we need to clear out the dead wood (Aluko, Popa, McShane, Gunter, Mannone etc..) and not just continue to patch over the cracks with players at this club. It's a mammoth task, but we need to think with the long term, afford somebody the time and also not allow conmen and agents with false agendas to dictate our football club.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 07 Dec 2018 21:25

Shame old nobbers leaving trails of pessimism for the paused, “told you so” post if this gets confirmed and Castro fails, and yet if he were to turn ours fortunes around the same posters will be on here gushing with sex wee.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Dec 2018 23:10

Oilroyal Shame old nobbers leaving trails of pessimism for the paused, “told you so” post if this gets confirmed and Castro fails, and yet if he were to turn ours fortunes around the same posters will be on here gushing with sex wee.

The reality is that you can't polish a turd. Though for a £1 million quid I'd expect anybody would say they'd like to try. As they've nothing to lose. Be foolish to expect any new manager to transform fortunes in a matter of a half a season.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Dec 2018 23:44

windermereROYAL The Leeds manager doesn`t speak a word of English, hasn`t done them any harm so far.

He’s one of the most experienced and radical thinking coaches in world football.

So totally different to this bloke we’re talking about.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 08 Dec 2018 01:34

Oilroyal Shame old nobbers leaving trails of pessimism for the paused, “told you so” post if this gets confirmed and Castro fails, and yet if he were to turn ours fortunes around the same posters will be on here gushing with sex wee.

Heh, actually some won’t. Having set their stall early doors, if Luis came in and did better than Clement, some won’t be comfortable, and will dislike him even more. Disconnect with fans, miss Clements interviews, etc. He could even go on a run and get us in playoffs, yet it would be painful, which of course would be visited on everyone else. Stay tuned.

Anyway, if it is Luis, then may explain the ‘weird and strange’ timing and why Howe took action sooner rather than later. Luis may know little or nothing about our players, and so the few weeks afforded him before the window opens may be prudent.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 08 Dec 2018 05:14, edited 2 times in total.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 08 Dec 2018 01:40

leon
windermereROYAL The Leeds manager doesn`t speak a word of English, hasn`t done them any harm so far.

He’s one of the most experienced and radical thinking coaches in world football.

So totally different to this bloke we’re talking about.

Indeed, and too bad we were never in for him. Though at the time, I think I heard at least once that we got the better manager in Clement.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Dec 2018 01:46

Translation someone?

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 08 Dec 2018 06:03

I dont understand Jonathan Low's piece - isnt Luis Castro just the sort of personality we've been pushing out the door for the last few months now? Still, its the only evidence we have so far. Im not massively fussed by Clement leaving, and this would be a good time for it, with the transfer window in a month, but Castro just seems more of the same to me.

As for Parkinson, Ive made myself known on this already. He's limited. The sort of manager you need to write several paragraphs of justification alongside his track record, as his track record just doesnt speak for itself. I would say if the U23s manager is a good U23s manager, he stays as the U23s manager. Ainsworth is in the right place at the right time for him, nothing to suggest he would transfer his record here.

So, errm, I dont know really. Ironically our best fit is probably Pardew, although LOL if it happens. I just feel we need experience at the moment, somebody who can be a member of the club behind the scenes as well. It all points to that rogues gallery of journeymen managers that normally we would scoff at. I am so confused.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Dec 2018 08:32

leon

Translation someone?

"Meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh nonsensical point about ejaculation".

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2018 09:51

BR0B0T
Lower West
Winston Biscuit

There's not much recent evidence because no one lasts long.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Dec 2018 09:52

royalsroyalsroyals92 I would say that 3 teams now have sussed out Paul Clement fairly quickly. Words from player like Darren Bent didn't flatter him - the fact that under him one of our best players in Barrow has essentially turned to sh*t - I don't think we are exactly losing a lot.

I do agree that most of the time, managers are sacked too quickly and they should be given more time to build, but I don't think that would work with Clement at this club (or probably any), and I feel we've got to now pick a manager for the long term. Whoever it is faces a massive task and possibly a relegation - but we need to clear out the dead wood (Aluko, Popa, McShane, Gunter, Mannone etc..) and not just continue to patch over the cracks with players at this club. It's a mammoth task, but we need to think with the long term, afford somebody the time and also not allow conmen and agents with false agendas to dictate our football club.

Yet Clement left Derby and Bent's career hasn't exactly flourished since, has it? So many queuing up to take Bent's side on that issue, probably due to their own preconceived opinion of Clement, but the evidence of Bent's career since suggests Clement's assessment of Bent isn't far off.

As for Barrow, there could be many reasons for his exile. It isn't really fair on him to speculate. Wouldn't say he's suddenly "turned to shit" either. His final ball has always been patchy and his will and ability, or lack thereof, to defend don't do him any favours in a team that need to scrap for points.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2018 09:59

Obviously without knowing what happened with Barrow, Clement appeared to handle the issue in an exemplary way assuming there was a disciplinary breach as we were told.

He's dealt with McShane's oxf*rd up and Meyler's poor performance pretty spot on too.

The only areas where there's really question marks over what he was doing was persisting with Aluko over Sims and playing Kelly and Swift together... Or Swift at all in the last game, But there were few options re- Swift and Kelly.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 08 Dec 2018 10:25

Snowflake Royal Obviously without knowing what happened with Barrow, Clement appeared to handle the issue in an exemplary way assuming there was a disciplinary breach as we were told.

He's dealt with McShane's oxf*rd up and Meyler's poor performance pretty spot on too.

The only areas where there's really question marks over what he was doing was persisting with Aluko over Sims and playing Kelly and Swift together... Or Swift at all in the last game, But there were few options re- Swift and Kelly.

I thought it was pretty obvious with Barrow his priority was his first sprog and being with his missus. If it were a normal job you could get a few weeks paternity off but Clement wanted him back next day.

I'd add playing Gunter and accommodating him by playing Yiadom out of position.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 08 Dec 2018 11:35

Old Man Andrews
muirinho
Old Man Andrews BYE NANI

Ah Nani, we hardly knew ye

I am delighted that we didn't get to know him too. I think he would have been a disaster.

Know a West Ham fan and he said that when he was at West Ham whilst Zola was there all his signings were brutal so we may have got away with it here.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 08 Dec 2018 11:37

Basildon
Pepe the Horseman BetVictor have got Ian up at 25/1, which I think is extremely generous.

:D :D Brilliant

+1
Not sure i'll have a bigger laugh all day!

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 08 Dec 2018 11:47

Hound This is a weird take on things from JLow. Maybe makes some sense

https://www.football.london/reading-fc/ ... o-15521865

That's actually been written by Charles Watts so there may be more truth in this than I first thought :shock:

What alarmed me from that is that his English isn't good, not sure we could make a more left-field appointment. Now isn't the time to gamble. My initial thought when we sacked Clement was league 1, this appointment really would make me worried for the rest of the season. Would rather we gave Marshall the job tbh.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 08 Dec 2018 11:55

The Royal Forester
Hound This is a weird take on things from JLow. Maybe makes some sense

https://www.football.london/reading-fc/ ... o-15521865

Until I read read this article I thought we were getting our club back. If this agent was behind signing those players, it dosn't show much for his knowledge. If Nigel Howe allows this to happen, I will lose all faith in his ability to turn the club around and get us back on track.

Surely this Luis rumour has to be some kind of sick joke? If the Iranian spiv is involved it is going to be dodgy in the extreme, in the best interests of no-one but the Spiv, and a complete abrogation of responsibility by Howe and the owners. The spiv was involved in our signing of arguably the 4 worst transfers to RFC since the turn of the Millennium, (Hurtado, Piazon, John and another waste of space I can't remember), so he should not be allowed anywhere near the MadStad.

Trouble is, the spiv was all over RFC a couple of years ago, and only disappeared when Howe departed. Howe is back and within hours the spiv is back leaching off the club. Not a good development. I fully expect to see the other snake-oil salesman, (aka Samuelson), poking his slimy face into the Directors' Box any game soon.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Dec 2018 12:17

I really hope we try and get Steve Bruce in.

We need experience and he's one who's proven to get struggling teams out of the mire and challenging at the top of the league.

Brucey IN

1436 posts