Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Clement sacked!

by RoyalBlue » 06 Dec 2018 17:53

Snowflake Royal
Ascotexgunner
Old Man Andrews
THe club have addressed the problem. They removed Gourlay, installed Howe and then Howe disposed of Gourlay's remaining influence at the club in Paul Clement. They have clearly identified the issue and we have to trust them.

yup....We need fresh heads now to move forward. Were we progressing under Clement?.....well the stats say not....in fact league position says we are worse currently. Nigel Howe has a great record at this club, he knows us and clearly as you rightly say, he needs to remove the problems and the team progress quicker. We cannot afford to keep plodding along picking up the odd point here and there. 3 points from the last 12 is relegation form.

Sample of three is completely non-standard and too small, just to manipulate numbers to support your view.

Could use the whole season and it's still pretty much relegation form. Not looked at the table recently? Besides others were claiming we had turned the corner so surely you would look at the most recent results to see whether they supported that claim.

Hound I do feel the timing is a little strange, and on reflection, still not really happy with the decision

I do massively worry we'll bring in a manager who will think 'experience' will get us out of our position, turn back to carthorses like McShane, Meyler, Edwards and O'Shea, and we'll be back near square 1 as we were when PC took over

Does feel to me that PC learnt a lot over the last couple of months and started getting a few people playing to their potential. I felt optimistic about the future of the team.

Be generally gutted if we bring in someone like Bruce, Pardew or Hughes

Hang on, Clement was responsible for signing 50% of those carthorses you refer to. His signings have been average at best to shyte. WTF was he thinking of with Walker? And I just don't buy that they were Gourlay's choices.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 06 Dec 2018 17:56, edited 1 time in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Dec 2018 17:55

John Madejski's Wallet
leon I'm a bit shocked by this. Despite being critical of Clement, I could see some improvement - I'm not convinced that it's a particularly good move.

^^ That

We've actually had some backbone coming back into games the last few matches

Clement had also finally really that Aluko etc. can fukk off. Sadly a new man will likely bring all the 'names' back in and the cycle will start again

Almost a year here and all we can say about the bloke is we've bit "a bit less shit" lately i.e. "some backbone" lately. So.... not losing by as much, getting shit results like home draws but playing a bit less shit.

Come off it. He's been here almost a year and apart from these few straws we're clutching at we can't really hand on heart say he's done anything positive. We're almost just as shit as Stam's shit days. Perhaps Nani has made a difference yeah, but let's not pretend he suddenly had turned a corner.

He wasn't for us.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Dec 2018 18:03

Should have been done ages ago. I liked him as a bloke but utterly inept manager. Totally clueless.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Dec 2018 18:18

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal
Ascotexgunner
yup....We need fresh heads now to move forward. Were we progressing under Clement?.....well the stats say not....in fact league position says we are worse currently. Nigel Howe has a great record at this club, he knows us and clearly as you rightly say, he needs to remove the problems and the team progress quicker. We cannot afford to keep plodding along picking up the odd point here and there. 3 points from the last 12 is relegation form.

Sample of three is completely non-standard and too small, just to manipulate numbers to support your view.

Could use the whole season and it's still pretty much relegation form. Not looked at the table recently? Besides others were claiming we had turned the corner so surely you would look at the most recent results to see whether they supported that claim.

Hound I do feel the timing is a little strange, and on reflection, still not really happy with the decision

I do massively worry we'll bring in a manager who will think 'experience' will get us out of our position, turn back to carthorses like McShane, Meyler, Edwards and O'Shea, and we'll be back near square 1 as we were when PC took over

Does feel to me that PC learnt a lot over the last couple of months and started getting a few people playing to their potential. I felt optimistic about the future of the team.

Be generally gutted if we bring in someone like Bruce, Pardew or Hughes

Hang on, Clement was responsible for signing 50% of those carthorses you refer to. His signings have been average at best to shyte. WTF was he thinking of with Walker? And I just don't buy that they were Gourlay's choices.

No, others had said a few games ago that there were clear signs of statistical improvement in genuine and standard sample sizes.

I've previously set out what I thought our five biggest weaknesses were at the end of Stam's tenure and how Clement had clearly addressed and improved on three of them.

Plus you only have to look at individual players.
Bodvarsson, Meite, Baldock, Ezatolahi, Rinomhota, Yiadom, Jaakkola, Blackett, Bacuna... all either improved or improved us under Clement's guidance.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Dec 2018 18:22

Whilst happy to finally see some agitation from within the boardroom, I agree with Leon, not so sure now was the time to do it....and not necessarily a good idea.

We’ll see.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Dec 2018 19:07

The right call to sack Clement but I would have been delighted if he had managed to turn things around. His post match interviews were painfully honest and I think many of us appreciated that. He just wasn’t able to turn things around.
He has spent his entire time at the club under pressure. That’s far from ideal. It also seems Gourlay had been poking his nose into team affairs too.

Some of the players should be embarrassed by their performances under him and in the final months of Stam’s reign. The last twelve months have been appalling following the surrender of a two goal lead against Cardiff a year ago. Clement deserved better from a number of them.

I wish him well and hope he goes on to success in the future.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 06 Dec 2018 19:42

Not at all happy with this. And not just because I said yesterday I thought the manager would stay :oops: .

Things were improving. And things had got so bad towards the end of Stam's tenure it was always going to be a slow rebuilding process.

As others have said, look at the players he has improved, and look at the rubbish he's stopped picking.

Please God let's get some fresh idea and not see the club turning to one of the many out-of-work "big names" who have failed time and time again.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 06 Dec 2018 19:47

Not pleased with this, and not convinced a new manager will actually make much difference for the rest of the season apart from maybe an immediate boost. When we sacked Adkins I wanted us to appoint Chris Hughton, a great manager at this level, but even he didn't make much difference in his first half season at Brighton.

If he was going to go he should have gone in the summer, or maybe last summer after keeping us up.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Dec 2018 19:52

Yep, crazy timing

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 06 Dec 2018 21:23

Looking forward to the new manager coming in and having to find his best team - starts for Aluko as I imagine a new manager will want to see why our record transfer hasn't been playing - just when I thought we wouldn't see him play again.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 06 Dec 2018 21:48

I think we're down. Clement seemed to be generating a bit of team spirit and was picking players on merit. Rinhomota would have kept us up on his own. A new manager will get money to spunk on some more Alukos.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Dec 2018 21:51

Agree - the one thing I’m dreading is seeing McShane and Aluko back on the team sheet

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 06 Dec 2018 22:29

Jack Celliers I think we're down. Clement seemed to be generating a bit of team spirit and was picking players on merit. Rinhomota would have kept us up on his own. A new manager will get money to spunk on some more Alukos.

I agree

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 06 Dec 2018 22:53

One interesting point is there seems very little postings from players on social media, unlike when Stam went. Was Clement not popular with the squad?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 06 Dec 2018 23:01

Jagermesiter1871 One interesting point is there seems very little postings from players on social media, unlike when Stam went. Was Clement not popular with the squad?

I noticed that also. Only one I've seen to come out with anything was Yakou Meite, who obviously only got his chance under Clement.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 06 Dec 2018 23:05

Very interesting opinions in here, as when he was in the job I saw very little to suggest he had the support of the fans.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 06 Dec 2018 23:33

Thought he was quite pragmatic in the way he set the team up for games. Got the team playing to their (limited) strengths, rather than forcing a system upon it like Stam did. It was nothing spectacular but it got us scoring goals, which we couldn't do last year under Stam. I'm sad to see him go because I think the fault lies with the players (and questionable recruitment thereof).

That said if Nani and the rest of Gourlay's cronies follow him out the door, and Howe brings a decent manager in, then it's water under the bridge

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Dec 2018 23:35

Jack Celliers I think we're down. Clement seemed to be generating a bit of team spirit and was picking players on merit. Rinhomota would have kept us up on his own. A new manager will get money to spunk on some more Alukos.

The way we've been managed this last five years we're overdue going down and deserve it to be honest.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Dec 2018 00:00

muirinho
Jagermesiter1871 One interesting point is there seems very little postings from players on social media, unlike when Stam went. Was Clement not popular with the squad?

I noticed that also. Only one I've seen to come out with anything was Yakou Meite, who obviously only got his chance under Clement.

Rinomhota has also thanked him for the opportunities he has given him.

Born Again Royalist

by Born Again Royalist » 07 Dec 2018 00:21

How many of the "injured" players do you think will now not be "injured"?