BFTG Sheffield

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Sheffield

by windermereROYAL » 09 Dec 2018 22:24

So lucky is was my Christmas dinner night, got to watch it on telly up till the 70th minute, first half was quite decent tbf without creating anything. you could see united upped their game in the 2nd, I left the pub in disgust after that horror Blackett back pass.
Hoped we could hold on for a point, sad huh?, but it wasn`t to be.

That`s how far we have fallen. 2018 as truly been a year to forget, lets hope for a upturn next year, it can`t get much worse than this...CAN IT????

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Dec 2018 22:32

oh yes, as Hartlepool, Stockport, Chester, Torqay, Halifax and on and on can testify

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Dec 2018 22:33

Hound
Zip
tmesis Yeah - checking back we had those two weirdly low attendances (also v Bolton), way below even the number of season tickets sold.

I was at both. The weather was bitterly cold for the Sheff Utd game. We stopped at Reading Services to sort my windscreen out as it was frozen. It was the coldest I have ever known at a football match. It was the fag end of the Stam era and all a bit depressing.

‘Bit’ depressing :lol:

That was genuinely one of the most depressing games I’ve ever been to. Horrible in every single way

Bolton was worse. Hadn’t planned to go because I was driving from my home in the Cotswolds to Devon and then onto Cornwall with work before going home. Told my son we would give the game a miss as I didn’t want to drive to Reading after all that driving. Trouble is I won the gourmet meal, free parking, free match day programme, nicer seats etc on the Reading Rewards site for the Bolton game....so we went. I drove 512 miles that day and watched us struggle to hold Bolton to a 1-1 draw in another dire performance.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 10 Dec 2018 08:39

The result and second half was so predictable that to imagine any other result than a loss was difficult.
The manner we lost sums up the state we are in - absolute rudderless. I can see why the players lost steam, the club is in complete turmoil and I wouldn't be surprised that many want to jump ship. No manager. No Director of football. Only till last week we didn't have a CEO. If you were at a company and same changes happened in a short time your concentration on your job would massively compromised.

I was up for a few changes but in my head it has got out of hand. We have resorted going back to Howe to try and clear up several years of mismanagement, a sign of massive desperation by the owners.

Plus side is, only way is up. I would say we have now hit rock bottom and time to build.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Dec 2018 10:49

Lower West Simply reinforced my view that Clement wasn't the problem. Removing him isn't going to change the direction of this season. Feel sorry for Marshall. Might as well have played the entire U23 team for the experience. Given the result.

Did the Sheffield United keeper even take a goal kick in the second half?

Today's shambles of a team would struggle against even some league 2 teams.

This really. I think we're right back to square one when Stam was sacked - the only positive being we have more time to sort it out. Oh and we did struggle to beat a League 2 side back then too. It's almost a blessing we have Man United to knock us out next month rather than a Stevenage, let's just hope we can keep it below 3-0.

Most sides seem to get a fresh kick when a manager leaves but to put in an even worse display shows the level of ego we are dealing with here. Can't blame Marshall but he's surely put himself out of contention now. Looks like we need a real taskmaster/someone who can deal with big names which maybe Steve Bruce wouldn't be such a bad shout afterall...

Either way we are again looking at survival this season at best.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 10 Dec 2018 11:08

Can't blame Marshall but he's surely put himself out of contention now.

I have no real view on marshall as a manager. hes done a great job with u23s, but I'm not sure that always translates to grown u football teams.

but would you say that if we had brought in castro/calvahal/jokanovic a few days before the game, and the result/performance had been the same, would that then rule them out of the job?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Dec 2018 11:10

Maneki Neko

I have no real view on marshall as a manager. hes done a great job with u23s, but I'm not sure that always translates to grown u football teams.

but would you say that if we had brought in castro/calvahal/jokanovic a few days before the game, and the result/performance had been the same, would that then rule them out of the job?

I see what you mean but it's the fact he has been part of the club before and the performance in particular, not the result, was so bad. The complete lack of impetus, desire, energy, effort and teamwork tells me that he can have zero impact and that we need a taskmaster instead.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 10 Dec 2018 11:18

I agree, and I'm pretty sure he was never in the running. I just think it doesn't really have anything to do with his management. whoever came in for that game would have not had any time to assess players/work on tactics and shape,or make major changes of any kind

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 10 Dec 2018 11:40

Hound
Zip
tmesis Yeah - checking back we had those two weirdly low attendances (also v Bolton), way below even the number of season tickets sold.

I was at both. The weather was bitterly cold for the Sheff Utd game. We stopped at Reading Services to sort my windscreen out as it was frozen. It was the coldest I have ever known at a football match. It was the fag end of the Stam era and all a bit depressing.

‘Bit’ depressing :lol:

That was genuinely one of the most depressing games I’ve ever been to. Horrible in every single way

The journey up from Exeter was fun I remember that..

The only game I have ever been to where we ordered a round of Beers with Bovril chasers!

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 10 Dec 2018 11:51

Coppells Lost Coat The result and second half was so predictable that to imagine any other result than a loss was difficult.
The manner we lost sums up the state we are in - absolute rudderless. I can see why the players lost steam, the club is in complete turmoil and I wouldn't be surprised that many want to jump ship. No manager. No Director of football. Only till last week we didn't have a CEO. If you were at a company and same changes happened in a short time your concentration on your job would massively compromised.

That all sounds like excuses for an utter lack of professional pride. This wasn't a one off performance that can be blamed on organisational disruption. This team have let down the manager and the fans - this season and last.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Dec 2018 11:56

Maneki Neko

I get the feeling Marshall was never in contention, but losing your first game with a kiss poor showing isn't too dissimilar to McDermott 1 Iirc.. didn't we get battered 4-1 Or something by Plymouth?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Dec 2018 12:00

I`ve come to the conclusion that the players we have are playing to the best of their ability, in the 1st half we were biting into tackles, fitness came into it in the 2nd half, is it any coincidence we concede more 2nd half goals?, At the end of the day this isn`t a very talented bunch , that paired with lack of 90 minute fitness isn`t going to get you many wins.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 10 Dec 2018 12:22

Just a mention that Sheffield Utds team that started the other night cost less than our defence that we fielded. Which I guess proves the point that if you have a good manager, with good knowledge of the lower leagues, good backroom staff, and more importantly a good scouting structure then you can build something decent with nothing.
I get the feeling that someone like Warnock walks into a club and straight away knows who's a starter and who isn't, and who he needs to bring in. Managers like him are gold dust to EFL clubs yet frowned on in the PL.
I still can't believe Warnock got Rotherham out of that mess a few seasons back.
Last edited by Ascotexgunner on 10 Dec 2018 12:30, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Dec 2018 12:24

windermereROYAL I`ve come to the conclusion that the players we have are playing to the best of their ability, in the 1st half we were biting into tackles, fitness came into it in the 2nd half, is it any coincidence we concede more 2nd half goals?, At the end of the day this isn`t a very talented bunch , that paired with lack of 90 minute fitness isn`t going to get you many wins.

Teams in good form and used to winning make the ball do more of the work and so not only conserve energy but are happy, energised and willing to run through their fitness wall.

Teams doing badly chase the ball, expend their energy early trying to make this game better and then give up and don't play through that fitness wall because they don't have the mental energy to do it.

TL/dr: Happy players used to winning play better and have more energy.

IMO of course.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 10 Dec 2018 13:26

Ascotexgunner Just a mention that Sheffield Utds team that started the other night cost less than our defence that we fielded. Which I guess proves the point that if you have a good manager, with good knowledge of the lower leagues, good backroom staff, and more importantly a good scouting structure then you can build something decent with nothing.
I get the feeling that someone like Warnock walks into a club and straight away knows who's a starter and who isn't, and who he needs to bring in. Managers like him are gold dust to EFL clubs yet frowned on in the PL.
I still can't believe Warnock got Rotherham out of that mess a few seasons back.

Its amazing some say 'There isn't any manager that could do better than Clement, not even Pep/Fergie/Mourinho combined'. I mean, is there anyone out there that doesn't believe Warnock could get more out of this team, and quickly too? It's just a fact that some managers are better than others. Some players are better than others. Some trainers and physios are better than others. Some managers just have a better grasp of what is required to do well in this league, they are better at motivating people (from the tea lady on up), they know exactly what players they want and are required, and which tactics and game plans to employ to achieve results.

Btw, I think some are over-playing the 'stability' aspect. Footy has changed with the money, etc. . We're not the only club in this league to have recycled managers the last few years. Look at Leeds, and quite a few others. Whether we like it, or think its a good idea, shorter tenures are becoming more common place. In the real world, too, the days of working 40 years at the same company and then retiring, are mostly a thing of the past. Sean Dyche said recently that footy will be moving more toward one-year tenures for rotating managers.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Dec 2018 13:40

Denver Royal Btw, I think some are over-playing the 'stability' aspect. Footy has changed with the money, etc. . We're not the only club in this league to have recycled managers the last few years. Look at Leeds, and quite a few others. Whether we like it, or think its a good idea, shorter tenures are becoming more common place. In the real world, too, the days of working 30 years at the same company and then retiring. are a thing of the past. Sean Dyche said recently that footy will be moving more toward one-year tenures for rotating managers.

The stability a club requires is more than just the guy coaching and picking the team though Denver. In many clubs where there's a revolving door in the managers office there is stability above them and consistent, effective leadership. Look at the likes of Chelsea, Watford or (previously) Southampton. 3 clubs who have managed to change managers (or head coaches really) quite regularly but have maintained a pretty high level of success but have had a consistent direction and strategy delivered from above.

We've had neither and the make up of our squad is the greatest example why that doesn't make for the best environment for success.

Leeds have gone through managers at a ridiculous rate over the last 5 or so years. They've also had a number of ownership changes. Throughout that time they've struggled, considering their resources etc, and perhaps now are going to reap the benefits of a more stable ownership who has brought in an apparently outstanding manager (lets wait until the season is over to see how well it's worked though).

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 10 Dec 2018 13:42

leon
Coppells Lost Coat The result and second half was so predictable that to imagine any other result than a loss was difficult.

That all sounds like excuses for an utter lack of professional pride. This wasn't a one off performance that can be blamed on organisational disruption. This team have let down the manager and the fans - this season and last.

Yep, but then we sack a manager instead and Aluko gets more minutes.
This bunch of players will look at any excuse to give for poor performances. Professional pride was gone a long time ago.
Just think the entire central management team getting replaced will hamper performances even more so, especially as transfer window about to open - and we dont have a manager or DoF, what sort of vision is that for a club?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Dec 2018 13:44

Coppells Lost Coat
leon

This bunch of players will look at any excuse to give for poor performances. Professional pride was gone a long time ago.
Just think the entire central management team getting replaced will hamper performances even more so, especially as transfer window about to open - and we dont have a manager or DoF, what sort of vision is that for a club?

Still scapegoating Aluko when he played 5 minutes and the game was already gone, grow up. Swift is equally as useless as Aluko so it's not as if he had options

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 10 Dec 2018 13:50

Coppells Lost Coat
leon

Yeah I’d agree with that. We need key decisions made quickly. Manager and DoF.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 10 Dec 2018 14:07

URZZZZ
Coppells Lost Coat
leon

Still scapegoating Aluko when he played 5 minutes and the game was already gone, grow up. Swift is equally as useless as Aluko so it's not as if he had options

Scapegoating, behave. DId I blame Aluko for the performance or result or even mention if he tracked his man? Merely mentioned the shambles we are in where our a standout poor performer since he has joined gets more chances and opportunities than anyone. It is a slap in the face for several players and in our current situation not a great motivator.