BFTG Rotherham

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Rotherham

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Dec 2018 00:08

Lower West Did Swift play in an advanced role, i.e. a no 10 ?

Ehhhh. Kinda. He sat deeper in the second half when our shape seemed to be more of a 4-3-2-1.

First half for sure but then again we attacked better in the first half so it's hard to know if it was a tactical change or he just couldn t get higher up the pitch.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 16 Dec 2018 01:17

Swift was outstanding today!

I wasn't confident we could hold out though with one of the kids at the back ( who by the way will become an outstanding centre back for us). A lot needs to change in January but with Clement gone and the sporting director gone and the prospect of a foreign coach taking over who doesn't know any of our players. This January window will likely be wasted. The situation looks very worrying right now. With a few changes, the right changes, we are not far away from being a very good side. But the guy who knew what we needed is now gone. A new guy from Portugal will come in and have to spend 6 months learning about this group by which time it will be too late. We are heading to League One sadly. And it is all our own fault. We deserve it quite frankly.

I thought Sims was decent today as well. With pace like Sims and Barrow we should be winning a lot of games on the road but we don't know how to go about our business. We have to focus on building a good solid defensive base. Defending from the front all the way back.

We should have won today but were probably just unlikely. Baldock should have buried his chance with the goal open. The keeper stopped a Swift effort with an outstretched leg. Sims hit the post. Our chances were very good ones today and we didn't capitalise. Most of Rotherhams attempts were hopeful shots from range hoping for a deflection on a slippery wet day, a slide under he keeper or slip off the glove. Last ten minutes they just went long into our box, flooded forward with bodies and hoped for that loose ball or to out jump one of our defenders.

We need to get the fundamentals of football right and not make so many basic errors like when Blackett cleared across the face of goal in the first half. You just don't do things like that. Parky probably is the right fit for us at the moment. At least he knows what we need and he knows the division. We can't get someone in that doesn't know our team. We will go down like that.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 Dec 2018 05:59

Well done to Swift. I've been critical of him recently but credit where credit is due, apart from one chance that he should have done better with, he did well yesterday.

He was far from alone in missing chances though. Both McCleary and especially Baldock should have finished the game off before half time. However, as so often with this team we let the opposition off the hook and they came back in the second half.

We were under pressure from their set pieces, with players unable to clear the ball properly on a number of occasions. One time in particular where we cleared to the edge of the box and one of their players hit a shot that luckily went straight at Jaakkola.

When you are playing a team that are bombarding you with set pieces it is crucial that you don't give anything away needlessly. Which brings us to the absolutely brainless, Christopher Gunter. Under no pressure he put the ball out for a corner and we conceded. He'd actually played quite well up until that point but one moment of stupidity ruined it.

Special mention for Mcintyre who apart from one wobble in the second half looked assured on his debut. Don't believe many of our academy prospects that have come through are actually Reading fans. He is and his debut clearly meant a lot to him

Jaakkola 6

Yiadom 7
Blackett 7
Mcintyre 7
Gunter 5

McCleary 5
Rinomhota 6
Bacuna 6
Swift 8 motm
Sims 6

Baldock 6

Subs:
Bodvarsson - 5
Loader - Not on long enough, N/A

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 16 Dec 2018 08:31

One thing about our fans yesterday.......despite it being the obvious season to sing it, I thought ‘5 Parkinsons’ was a bit risky yesterday........All it takes is some journo to say we were calling for Parky...... :wink:

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 Dec 2018 10:08

Kitsondinho One thing about our fans yesterday.......despite it being the obvious season to sing it, I thought ‘5 Parkinsons’ was a bit risky yesterday........All it takes is some journo to say we were calling for Parky...... :wink:

It was a lot better than some of the songs I had to endure. One about kicking someone's head in, some childish chants about someone's haircut making them look like a girl, another one about voting Tory (surely the worst) :D

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 16 Dec 2018 11:42

Elm Park Kid
Kitsondinho One thing about our fans yesterday.......despite it being the obvious season to sing it, I thought ‘5 Parkinsons’ was a bit risky yesterday........All it takes is some journo to say we were calling for Parky...... :wink:

It was a lot better than some of the songs I had to endure. One about kicking someone's head in, some childish chants about someone's haircut making them look like a girl, another one about voting Tory (surely the worst) :D

:lol: Fair enough......I just feel a disclaimer about wanting/not wanting Parky as manager would have made things clearer :wink:

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Dec 2018 19:29

NewCorkSeth

Ehhhh. Kinda. He sat deeper in the second half when our shape seemed to be more of a 4-3-2-1.

First half for sure but then again we attacked better in the first half so it's hard to know if it was a tactical change or he just couldn t get higher up the pitch.

Sounds as if he was playing in a more suited role. Needs a run of games to build match fitness and sharpness. After a stop start season. Applies to some other of the players as well.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Dec 2018 20:24

Looked to me like Swift had been given freedom
to try stuff. He was SO much better.

Remember when Stam micro-managed every ounce of flair out of the players?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 16 Dec 2018 20:31

Snowball Looked to me like Swift had been given freedom

Swift (and Kelly and Barrow) regressed under Clement, imo.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Dec 2018 21:13

Denver Royal

They did, but I can't say I KNOW it was Clement's fault

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Dec 2018 22:30

Snowball
Denver Royal

I'm not sure you can say Kelly did. And Swift has been a massive disappointment since his first injury. Kelly was getting endless stick under Stam. I actually thought he was a bit better this season than last season.

Equally though. Blackett, Meite, Bodvarsson, Gunter, Jaakkola and Bacuna all better under Clement IMO. Although Bacuna really rather hit and miss. I guess you could argue a couple of them, but generally the case.

Not that it matters now he's been sacked obviously.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Dec 2018 08:42

Lower West
NewCorkSeth

Sounds as if he was playing in a more suited role. Needs a run of games to build match fitness and sharpness. After a stop start season. Applies to some other of the players as well.

Oh he was much more suited to the role he played but few teams will be as easy for him to play against as Rotherham were. I can't figure out if they played a high line or pressed too fast from the back but in the first half Swift was back to his controlling best.

I was a bit concerned that Bacuna and Rinomhota were much less effective than usual and I hope that isn't because of Swift being given the free roaming role.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 Dec 2018 14:12

Snowflake Royal
Snowball
Denver Royal Swift (and Kelly and Barrow) regressed under Clement, imo.

I'm not sure you can say Kelly did. And Swift has been a massive disappointment since his first injury. Kelly was getting endless stick under Stam. I actually thought he was a bit better this season than last season.
Equally though. Blackett, Meite, Bodvarsson, Gunter, Jaakkola and Bacuna all better under Clement IMO. Although Bacuna really rather hit and miss. I guess you could argue a couple of them, but generally the case.

Kelly less technical under Clement, less touches and longer passes, which he wasn't capable of, or confident of doing.
Meite, bought by previous manager and sent out on season long loan (both good moves), and Clement bore the fruit.
Bod, could be, yes, tho Clement liked to sub him off a lot (when he actually started him).
Bacuna was just ok under both. I don't think he'd start for a good team.
Gunter, not sure he's improved (?), maybe.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Dec 2018 14:30

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal
Snowball They did, but I can't say I KNOW it was Clement's fault

Kelly less technical under Clement, less touches and longer passes, which he wasn't capable of, or confident of doing.
Meite, bought by previous manager and sent out on season long loan (both good moves), and Clement bore the fruit.
Bod, could be, yes, tho Clement liked to sub him off a lot (when he actually started him).

Think you're letting your hatred of Clement and love of Stam get in the way there "Denver".

It's clear that even from the start of this season that Clement made Meite a better player.

Not sure I agree on Bacuna either. Stam seemed to play him at right back more often than in midfield. Clement made him one of our more effective midfielders which admittedly is not saying much.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 Dec 2018 14:46

sandman
Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal I'm not sure you can say Kelly did. And Swift has been a massive disappointment since his first injury. Kelly was getting endless stick under Stam. I actually thought he was a bit better this season than last season.

Think you're letting your hatred of Clement and love of Stam get in the way there "Denver".

It's clear that even from the start of this season that Clement made Meite a better player.

Not sure I agree on Bacuna either. Stam seemed to play him at right back more often than in midfield. Clement made him one of our more effective midfielders which admittedly is not saying much.

Love or hate? I could easily say that of you in reverse. But, I haven't. Because unlike you, I wouldn't get anything out of it. I don't love anyone, and I'll leave the hate to you. Meite has improved a lot this season. I never said he hadn't. Clement did well with him. Both managers were instrumental in where Meite is today.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Dec 2018 17:40

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal
Snowball They did, but I can't say I KNOW it was Clement's fault

I like stats, but that's a really shit way of judging a midfielder's performance you've gone with for Kelly. Obviously I disagree with the rest, But it's opinion not dressed up as anything else so we can at least agree to differ.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Dec 2018 17:58

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal I'm not sure you can say Kelly did. And Swift has been a massive disappointment since his first injury. Kelly was getting endless stick under Stam. I actually thought he was a bit better this season than last season.

I like stats, but that's a really shit way of judging a midfielder's performance you've gone with for Kelly. Obviously I disagree with the rest, But it's opinion not dressed up as anything else so we can at least agree to differ.

I was just thinking that it's so rare for people to have a disagreement on here without either you or myself wading in on one side. Should I jump in on Denver's side to keep some continuity going?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Dec 2018 19:02

Denver Royal Kelly less technical under Clement, less touches and longer passes, which he wasn't capable of, or confident of doing.

Under Stam, Kelly had the impact of slowing our game up. Too many touches before making a pass. Too many sidewards, backward passes. Little vision for an incisive pass to open up defences.

Clement played Kelly deeper so that he had vision over the pitch in front of him.

Not enough pace to trouble the opposition. Nor the physicality to make a meaningful impact.

Remember the game against Rotherham away a couple of years back. After 20 minutes got subbed off. As was targeted and bullied. When playing in the defensive holding holding role. A player you need to build a team around .

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 Dec 2018 19:22

Lower West
Denver Royal Kelly less technical under Clement, less touches and longer passes, which he wasn't capable of, or confident of doing.

Under Stam, Kelly had the impact of slowing our game up. Too many touches before making a pass. Too many sidewards, backward passes. Little vision for an incisive pass to open up defences.

Clement played Kelly deeper so that he had vision over the pitch in front of him.

Not enough pace to trouble the opposition. Nor the physicality to make a meaningful impact.

Remember the game against Rotherham away a couple of years back. After 20 minutes got subbed off. As was targeted and bullied. When playing in the defensive holding holding role. A player you need to build a team around .

Yep, good points. Seeing the make up of the midfield under the new manager and the system he employs will be interesting. Kelly, Swift, Eza and Rino are all young, and seeing him develop them (if he does) could be fun.