The Reading FC players who fans want to keep or sell in January transfer window

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The Reading FC players who fans want to keep or sell in January transfer window

by Lower West » 21 Dec 2018 19:39

New manager. Yet another fresh start. Unless players are bid for or express a wish to leave. Expect little change.

Aluko will no doubt be back. While I'm sure he's a nice guy. I have no wish to see him back on the pitch in a Reading shirt. New manager has a steep learning curve.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Reading FC players who fans want to keep or sell in January transfer window

by andrew1957 » 21 Dec 2018 20:09

People keep saying we have a bloated squad but many of those we probably don't want such as VDB, Gravenberch and Popa are already on loan. I make it that if we include young players such as Rimonhota and Loader that we have a first team squad of 30 currently available but some with long term injuries (Obita, Ezatolahi, O'Shea?) The only other one that would benefit from a loan would be Clement. I liked Harriott before the injury and I would keep him around personally but they might loan him to see if he can get fit. I don't see the need to ship anyone else out unless we have better players coming in.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 21 Dec 2018 22:05

maffff January window

Anssi Jaakkola - keep - revisit in summer (look at academy / who manager wants as to if we keep around)
Sam Walker - loan (if Mannone stays) or keep - revisit in summer (sell then)
Vito Mannone - sell or keep - revisit in summer (sell then)
Luke Southwood - keep
Lewis Ward - keep out on loan
George Legg - keep out on loan
Chris Gunter - keep
Andy Yiadom - keep
Tennai Watson - keep out on loan
Paul McShane - move on (out of contract in summer)
John O'Shea - keep until summer
Jordan Obita - keep
Liam Moore - keep (unless great offer)
Tiago Ilori - keep
Tyler Blackett - keep (unless great offer)
Tom McIntyre - keep
Gabriel Osho - keep
Danzell Gravenberch - keep (out on loan until his summer departure)
Omar Richards - loan
Joey van den Berg - keep (out on loan, summer departure)
John Swift - whatever, sell if anyone interested for a few million, keep otherwise
Garath McCleary - keep
Callum Harriott - loan
Adrian Popa - out on loan, sell in summer
Leandro Bacuna - keep
Saeid Ezatolahi - keep (does he exist?)
Andy Rinomhota - keep
Sone Aluko - keep (as Kingsley)
David Meyler - let manager look at him, not fussed either way - unlikely to be more than backup
Dave Edwards - loan pre summer departure
Modou Barrow - keep
Liam Kelly - whatever, sell if anyone is interested for a few million, keep otherwise
Pelle Clement - keep
Sam Baldock - keep
Marc McNulty - loan
Danny Loader - loan if league one / two club, keep otherwise
Yakou Méïte - keep
Sam Smith - keep out on loan
Jón Daði Böðvarsson - keep
Andrija Novakovich - keep out on loan ahead of joining first team in summer

Normally your posts are very good. But I can't help but think that you have used the word "keep" a bit too much.
This shower of hamster sh!te have not performed. There are very very few on my "keep" list. Normally, most fans have a list of those that they most certainly do not want to go...but in most cases these days, that list is almost non-existent.

I am aware that you can not off load 80% of the squad (although that would be great).

Anyway...fair play to you fella. Appreciate your honesty. Maybe you are right, we have no choice than to KEEP most of this tripe.

Ye gods...makes me realise what a mammoth task Gomes has on his hands. How to turn a massive pile of dog turd into a team that can retain Championship football. Gomes deserves a knighthood already to take on this stack of toss.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Dec 2018 22:09

andrew1957 I don't see the need to ship anyone else out unless we have better players coming in.

McNulty
Macleary
Blackett
Kelly
O'Shea
Barrow
Edwards
Meyler
Aluko

The squad would be improved by a better/younger/faster/stronger player in their respective position.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Dec 2018 22:14

Barney
Ye gods...makes me realise what a mammoth task Gomes has on his hands. How to turn a massive pile of dog turd into a team that can retain Championship football. Gomes deserves a knighthood already to take on this stack of toss.

Though for the money on offer expect he will have no particular allegience to the club. Hope the guy has a thick skin. As I expect what's left of the fanbase to be pretty hostile as well if performances don't improve immediately.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 22 Dec 2018 01:49

Barney I can't help but think that you have used the word "keep" a bit too much.

Felt the same tbh, also very aware we're unlikely turning 20 over this window..

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Dec 2018 11:55

andrew1957 People keep saying we have a bloated squad but many of those we probably don't want such as VDB, Gravenberch and Popa are already on loan. I make it that if we include young players such as Rimonhota and Loader that we have a first team squad of 30 currently available but some with long term injuries (Obita, Ezatolahi, O'Shea?) The only other one that would benefit from a loan would be Clement. I liked Harriott before the injury and I would keep him around personally but they might loan him to see if he can get fit. I don't see the need to ship anyone else out unless we have better players coming in.

Way too many players contributing nothing and not pushing incumbents to perform better.

The rule used to be two per first team place and some youth for cover. You look at our squad and you have to ask yourself how are many of them contributing.

Jaakkola, Mannone, Walker, plus an Academy generating quality keeping prospects in numbers. Clearly one too many and Mannone needs to go, If not him then one of the others. Three senior keepers for more than a while to get rid of one is simply too many and a waste of money.

Moore, Ilori, Blackett, McIntyre, Osho, McShane, O'Shea... what exactly are McShane and O'Shea contributing that requires more than one of them?

Meyler, Edwards, Kelly, Rinomhota, Bacuna, Swift, Clement, Ezatolahi. That's a huge number of mediocre midfielders and the best one is the fricking season debutante. We could lose Meyler, Edwards and Clement and never even notice.

Then you've got the likes of Popa who had been sat in the reserves doing nothing for the best part of two years without serious injury problems. Harriott needs to contribute or leave now he's fit.

And I haven't even mentioned the worst waste of space yet.

It's not just pure numbers that make bloat, but total lack of contribution or worth from many of those we have.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 Dec 2018 13:30

Lower West Hope the guy has a thick skin. As I expect what's left of the fanbase to be pretty hostile if performances don't improve immediately.

Yet you've consistently preached patience, saying the state of the team is such that it's a massive job, there's no magic wand, that it's going to take years to turn things around and rebuild, and it might take dropping down a division or two? (Well, you did under Clement, anyway...)

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Dec 2018 01:15

Denver Royal
Lower West Hope the guy has a thick skin. As I expect what's left of the fanbase to be pretty hostile if performances don't improve immediately.

Yet you've consistently preached patience, saying the state of the team is such that it's a massive job, there's no magic wand, that it's going to take years to turn things around and rebuild, and it might take dropping down a division or two? (Well, you did under Clement, anyway...)

Do you think Gomes will survive if we get relegated?

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 23 Dec 2018 10:57

I think we need to sign some “big units” to keep us up. Blackett was by far our biggest player yesterday and is one of the reasons we’ve been conceding goals from set plays recently. Aiden Flint was enormous compared to our team (especially Baldock).

Having Ezatolahi back will help of course.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Dec 2018 11:11

Denver Royal

One can do one thing and expect others to do another. It's pretty clear the club are not willing to allow anyone a long term rebuild with the possibility of early failure regardless what Lower West (or I) might want.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 23 Dec 2018 13:32

Players generally seem to be motivated by inspired coaching, innovative tactics and respect for their manager. These managers often have playing pedigree and experience, so if all the prerequisites of player fitness, happiness, ability etc exist then reasonable performance should be expected, reasonably anyway! JG can't succceed then, can he?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 23 Dec 2018 16:05

Lower West
Denver Royal

At this point, and without having seen a ball kicked yet, I'd say prolly not. Don't really know for sure, though. I think we're all trying to get a grasp of what their thinking is.

I guess my point was, are you still ok with being relegated, conceptually, because it might be better for the club? Or has that changed with the change in manager?
(Edit: As I recall, you were of that opinion early doors in Clement's reign, i.e. and not when things were 'starting to get better' (which I didn't necessarily agree with, btw)).

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Dec 2018 17:33

Denver Royal
I guess my point was, are you still ok with being relegated, conceptually, because it might be better for the club? Or has that changed with the change in manager?

Something has to happen to break the downward spiral. Hanging on , can only work for so long. Years of watching football suggests this ours. We are a poor poor side currently. Reverting to a possession based style of football may well be the final nail in the coffin. We've experienced the consequences of that style last season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Dec 2018 23:43

Denver Royal
Lower West
Denver Royal Yet you've consistently preached patience, saying the state of the team is such that it's a massive job, there's no magic wand, that it's going to take years to turn things around and rebuild, and it might take dropping down a division or two? (Well, you did under Clement, anyway...)

At this point, and without having seen a ball kicked yet, I'd say prolly not. Don't really know for sure, though. I think we're all trying to get a grasp of what their thinking is.

(Edit: As I recall, you were of that opinion early doors in Clement's reign, i.e. and not when things were 'starting to get better' (which I didn't necessarily agree with, btw)).

After 6 games I thought we were gone. After that Clement gave me a bit of hope, but that's gone. In general I think we're just staving off the inevitable and won't get much better until after we've gone down.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 26 Dec 2018 23:35

Old Man Andrews Hiram K Hackenbacker doesn't just agree with anyone and anything you know!

I agree