CONFIMRED José Gomes

313 posts
tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIMRED José Gomes

by tmesis » 24 Dec 2018 21:25

TiagoIlori Before anyone else makes lazy comparisons to Stam there isn’t just one type of possession style, there are many types. If you genuinely think Guardiola and Stam have exactly the same tactics just because they like their teams keeping possession I have no hope for you.

Also, I suspect half the problem with Stam's style is that he never got us playing the football he wanted us to play.

Early on with Stam, you could see the work we put into keeping possession was good, but we lacked creativity. I find it difficult to believe he ever wanted to play a style that was so uncreative, but he just lacked the ability to coach the players to move off the ball the create spaces and openings desired.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Dec 2018 21:31

Old Man Andrews
Hound agreed 72Bus. Though I also suspect Gomes will want to bring some players over.

The number of injuries is a massive issue. And even more so the time coming back from them. Meite, who was on fire, has been injured for weeks now with a twisted ankle - its not good enough. Ilori and Moore - apparently minor injuries, but no sign of them. Obita - no idea what is going on there. Bod seemingly playing with a knackered back for a couple of weeks before it was picked up on. McCleary - took them months to realise his ankle needed surgery. Constant minor injuries for Baldock and even Gunter etc etc

Obita is in serious danger of not coming back if you believe the fellas who run the chryo chamber at Bracknell Town, he's been there a lot as part of his recovery. His Mrs denied that to a fan on Twitter though so depends what you want to believe. He can run on it but its the tackling jumping thats the issue. 2nd hand info though.

The big concern with Obita has been the recurrence of swelling to his knee. It’s been 14 months since the injury and he had only just come back from injury at that time. It’s a huge shame and be’s been badly missed.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 24 Dec 2018 21:48

The fan Obita`s Mrs denied his career was in doubt was me. I suggested it could be a the end for him, but she assured me the medical team or Jordan were not concerned.
I`m not so sure.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Dec 2018 23:14

tmesis
TiagoIlori Before anyone else makes lazy comparisons to Stam there isn’t just one type of possession style, there are many types. If you genuinely think Guardiola and Stam have exactly the same tactics just because they like their teams keeping possession I have no hope for you.

Also, I suspect half the problem with Stam's style is that he never got us playing the football he wanted us to play.

Early on with Stam, you could see the work we put into keeping possession was good, but we lacked creativity. I find it difficult to believe he ever wanted to play a style that was so uncreative, but he just lacked the ability to coach the players to move off the ball the create spaces and openings desired.

This. And he became so obsessed with his style and trying to make it work that he lost sight that the point of it is to create chances and score goals, not just possession for possessions sake.

It went wrong because Stam wasn't a good enough coach, couldn't compromise and the players weren't brave enough or smart enough to make it work.

Unless Gomes is a way better coach than Stam, and his record doesn't really suggest that, I don't see much reason to believe this group will be any braver or smarter, because they're mostly the same players. So whilst Gomes won't be trying to replicate what we had with Stam, it's what he's likely to get.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Dec 2018 06:32

Snowflake Royal
tmesis

This. And he became so obsessed with his style and trying to make it work that he lost sight that the point of it is to create chances and score goals, not just possession for possessions sake.

It went wrong because Stam wasn't a good enough coach, couldn't compromise and the players weren't brave enough or smart enough to make it work.

Unless Gomes is a way better coach than Stam, and his record doesn't really suggest that, I don't see much reason to believe this group will be any braver or smarter, because they're mostly the same players. So whilst Gomes won't be trying to replicate what we had with Stam, it's what he's likely to get.

Some hopes/positives for the future

1. There is a lot of technical ability in the squad already to be able to drive forward with this type of play, it just needs someone able to apply the next stage
2. Gomes has way more managerial and coaching experience than Stam
3. Imagine what you’d be saying if you supported Swansea all those years ago when Brendan Rodgers was appointed as it would seem to be a similar position with Gomes also being a largely untried manager with a not terribly impressive cv
4. There are a lot of injuries to key players
5. The January window is about open so hopefully some of the necessary changes can be made to the squad both in and out
6. Nicky Hammond might come back
7. Rinomhota particularly looks very impressive
8. Other youngsters looking promising as well
9. Though better than Gomes’, I don’t think Nuno Santo had an overly impressive cv before joining Wolves either
10. When it does all finally click we’ll all appreciate it more

Anyone any other positives to add

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Dec 2018 06:53

Nuno managed Porto and Valencia. I'd say that is a bit more impressive than Al Taawoun and Videoton.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Dec 2018 14:05

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
tmesis Also, I suspect half the problem with Stam's style is that he never got us playing the football he wanted us to play.

Some hopes/positives for the future

1. There is a lot of technical ability in the squad already to be able to drive forward with this type of play, it just needs someone able to apply the next stage
2. Gomes has way more managerial and coaching experience than Stam
3. Imagine what you’d be saying if you supported Swansea all those years ago when Brendan Rodgers was appointed as it would seem to be a similar position with Gomes also being a largely untried manager with a not terribly impressive cv
4. There are a lot of injuries to key players
5. The January window is about open so hopefully some of the necessary changes can be made to the squad both in and out
6. Nicky Hammond might come back
7. Rinomhota particularly looks very impressive
8. Other youngsters looking promising as well
9. Though better than Gomes’, I don’t think Nuno Santo had an overly impressive cv before joining Wolves either
10. When it does all finally click we’ll all appreciate it more

Anyone any other positives to add

Don't really agree with 1. The passing is consistently terrible as is the first touch.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 25 Dec 2018 15:08

Liked video from the club on twitter of him getting stuck in at training.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 25 Dec 2018 15:10

sandman Nuno managed Porto and Valencia. I'd say that is a bit more impressive than Al Taawoun and Videoton.

He was seen as a bit of a joke manager in Portugal weirdly. Not ever rated as highly as the likes of Castro, and not quite on a par with Gomes. Interesting one as it worked here so well.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 25 Dec 2018 18:19

maffff
sandman Nuno managed Porto and Valencia. I'd say that is a bit more impressive than Al Taawoun and Videoton.

He was seen as a bit of a joke manager in Portugal weirdly. Not ever rated as highly as the likes of Castro, and not quite on a par with Gomes. Interesting one as it worked here so well.

err... did Gomes even had a reputation in Portugal before this season? I can't imagine the locals would have followed his Middle East career too closely.

The most positive thing for him is that the expectation level is so low that he'll be respected if he isn't terrible.

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 25 Dec 2018 18:38

To be fair, Jokanovic’s record prior to Watford was pretty shocking.

Hope it works out, and will be behind JMG, but I feel a bit skeptical. I just hope he knows so little about the players that he won’t pick them based on reputation, as the reputations of players like Gunter, Aluko and Mannone seems to be better than their actual ability.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 25 Dec 2018 21:27

tmesis
maffff

err... did Gomes even had a reputation in Portugal before this season? I can't imagine the locals would have followed his Middle East career too closely.

Having managed 6 clubs in Portugal and been assistant at Porto (among others) I believe the answer would be yes

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Dec 2018 22:09

Did make me laugh one comment on here about the Portuguese press not even knowing who he was :)

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 26 Dec 2018 00:26

maffff
tmesis
maffff He was seen as a bit of a joke manager in Portugal weirdly. Not ever rated as highly as the likes of Castro, and not quite on a par with Gomes. Interesting one as it worked here so well.

Having managed 6 clubs in Portugal and been assistant at Porto (among others) I believe the answer would be yes

His career as manager in Portugal, at the time.

His first job appears to have been at Paços Ferreira, getting sacked after eight games, having lost seven of them.

He then got sacked after one year at Leixões

He then had a five game spell at Leiria (picking up just two points)

He then had nine games at Moreirense

He then had 13 games at Aves again, picking up just 9 points.

I'm struggling to see what exactly would have caused him to be rated in Portugal.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 26 Dec 2018 01:51

tmesis
maffff
tmesis err... did Gomes even had a reputation in Portugal before this season? I can't imagine the locals would have followed his Middle East career too closely.

His career as manager in Portugal, at the time.

His first job appears to have been at Paços Ferreira, getting sacked after eight games, having lost seven of them.

He then got sacked after one year at Leixões

He then had a five game spell at Leiria (picking up just two points)

He then had nine games at Moreirense

He then had 13 games at Aves again, picking up just 9 points.

I'm struggling to see what exactly would have caused him to be rated in Portugal.

Well, yes, that's enough to have an opinion - I never exactly said its great but of course the Portuguese media know who he is. It goes back to my point Nuno was a bit of a joke before Wolves...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Dec 2018 10:47

Tbf he must have something about him to keep getting re-employed

Maybe he is just very persuasive :)

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 26 Dec 2018 11:18

Or cheap

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 26 Dec 2018 11:37

Screams out the 'cheap' option compared to going for likely of Jokan or Pearson

Just hope he can keep us up!

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 26 Dec 2018 15:35

tmesis

I feel that way too, I wanted to address anyone with having ridiculous opinions such as all possession orientated tactics are the same

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 26 Dec 2018 15:36

loyalroyal4life Screams out the 'cheap' option compared to going for likely of Jokan or Pearson

Just hope he can keep us up!

His contract is worth €11.5m....

313 posts