CONFIMRED José Gomes

313 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CONFIMRED José Gomes

by Snowball » 13 Jan 2019 14:53

The second half at Millwall, the QPR game, Man Utd, and now Forest, all decent and promising

4 out of 5 games.

Including 4 games without our best striker, three without a previously regular midfielder
and a fairly regular centre-back.

He has barely been here yet, but this is hardly a flash in the pan

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2019 15:32

SCIAG I know I'm getting a bit carried away and I'm having to consciously combat that. It feels like, for the past 15 months or so, under four different managers, every victory has been so emphatic that it feels like we've turned a corner, and half the draws have been really promising. Then we'll go on a run of averaging 0.5 points per game for six games and we'll have one utterly dreadful performance.

After yesterday I want to sing Jose's name from the rooftops, but we've been here before. I'm going to give it ten games before I let myself get carried away guilt-free.

This is where I am, without the initial excitement. I don't have the energy to be conned and disappointed again.

Plus if largely the same players who got us into this mess just pull their finger out and get us out of it comfortably, to be honest I kinda just resent them even more.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 13 Jan 2019 15:44

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG I know I'm getting a bit carried away and I'm having to consciously combat that. It feels like, for the past 15 months or so, under four different managers, every victory has been so emphatic that it feels like we've turned a corner, and half the draws have been really promising. Then we'll go on a run of averaging 0.5 points per game for six games and we'll have one utterly dreadful performance.

After yesterday I want to sing Jose's name from the rooftops, but we've been here before. I'm going to give it ten games before I let myself get carried away guilt-free.

This is where I am, without the initial excitement. I don't have the energy to be conned and disappointed again.

Plus if largely the same players who got us into this mess just pull their finger out and get us out of it comfortably, to be honest I kinda just resent them even more.

Why would it be a question of them ‘just’ pulling their collective finger out ?
Maybe they have been given a clearer game plan (as individuals and collectively)
Maybe training is better
Maybe the new regime has restored confidence and belief
Maybe the clearout has focused a few minds

I doubt they sat in the dressing room afterClement was sacked and decided they’d put in a bit more effort.

We do appreciate you are utterly anti Gomes though and will adopt extreme contortions to avoid finding any positive angle to his regime.

Time to hand in your season ticket again ?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Jan 2019 16:26

They only lost to Swansea two games ago in an absolutely abject performance where the match was over inside 45 minutes.

Wouldn't go to the extremes of Ian but some of you, and those on twitter as well, are getting very carried away. They did well yesterday against a Forest team that, despite some very robust challenges, didn't really press them too hard and had management and defensive issues.

It's a good start and there have been some good performances at QPR and Millwall, despite the two reds. But contrary to the narrative on here there were positive performances when Clement was here. It's about continuing to those performances and getting the results to go along with them.

Cautious optimism but the players have a bit of a way to go before they build up some trust that they can keep it going, especially with tough games against Derby and Villa coming up.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Jan 2019 16:30

I'm not knocking Gomes btw. I've liked what I've heard from him same as I liked what Clement had to say. Just don't think that beside a bit more of a romantic turn of phrase there is much difference in Gomes's post match (particularly after the Swansea game) to Clement.

It's just that certain fans, let's call them the Maffff brigade seem happy to praise Gomes for the same things they criticised Clement for based on their personal opinion of the man.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Jan 2019 16:31

Snowflake Royal

Think it might be time to find another team to support Ian. I'd suggest Arsenal, they'd suit you.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Jan 2019 16:39

sandman I'm not knocking Gomes btw. I've liked what I've heard from him same as I liked what Clement had to say. Just don't think that beside a bit more of a romantic turn of phrase there is much difference in Gomes's post match (particularly after the Swansea game) to Clement.

It's just that certain fans, let's call them the Maffff brigade seem happy to praise Gomes for the same things they criticised Clement for based on their personal opinion of the man.

After the Swansea game, Gomes actually delivered on what he promised. Given the way he refers to killing opponents I suspect his dressing down of players is more effective than anything Clement might have produced.

Also, never got the impression that Clement felt the same link with players that Gomes does. He used to talk of 'the team' and 'the players'. Gomes always refers to 'my players' and in at least one interview has referred to treating them like 'his kids'. I reckon he's a firm but fair paternal figure.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 13 Jan 2019 17:23

I always felt Clement was a fraud, it's easy to use words that the fans want to hear. Gomes seems to mean what he says on the other hand. Interesting that Swift and Kelly both said that they were pleased to be going back to playing the football the team were most comfortable playing, which really makes you wonder wtf Clement was trying to achieve.
I know it's 4 points in 3 matches but he has bought an air of positivity I can't quite explain. I feel more positive now. If this guy does something very few of us thought was achievable and keeps this poor excuse for a team up I think we may have at last found the bloke we have been crying out for.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jan 2019 17:32

Cautiously optimistic and he makes the right noises in interview

Also fully agree the points we’ve won have been won in a far more convincing way than Clements two wins last year

However still early days. We’re still in the shit. We need to beat Bolton and Villa or Derby imo, or else still in big danger of being cut adrift

Doesn’t help from my point of view I chose not to watch the Utd game and was otherwise engaged yesterday - only seen the Swansea atrocity so far under him

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Jan 2019 17:59

Snowball
In his first game we played 80 minutes with a man short.

Whatever the game plan. We were totally ill prepared to deal with Millwall in the first 10. That's where the game was lost. Blackett's sending off only came about as he tried to drive forward and out of our own half, and relieve the onslaught.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Jan 2019 18:34

Lower West
Snowball

Whatever the game plan. We were totally ill prepared to deal with Millwall in the first 10. That's where the game was lost. Blackett's sending off only came about as he tried to drive forward and out of our own half, and relieve the onslaught.

No doubt, but that was his first ten minutes.

I said at the start I would ignore his first two games stat-wise (should really be six)

Also ignore Man Utd

So as far as I’m concerned he is

P2 W1 L1 3-4, 1.5 ppg

and I am convinced we will be well clear of the bottom three by season’s end

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2019 18:59

Nameless
Snowflake Royal

Maybe they have been given a clearer game plan (as individuals and collectively)
Maybe training is better

I doubt they sat in the dressing room afterClement was sacked and decided they’d put in a bit more effort.

We do appreciate you are utterly anti Gomes though and will adopt extreme contortions to avoid finding any positive angle to his regime.

I'm not anti Gomes. I thought his appointment was baffling as a great many did but now I'm waiting to see how he does, I'm just not jumping on his bandwagon straight away. This team has had so many false dawns I'm not getting up until I'm sure this time.

He's said and done stuff that encourages me and said and done stuff that concerns me.

Many of these players have disappointed under multiple managers, different ways of playing and in ways that were clearly not just down to who was in charge. I don't buy that a change of manager is all it takes to drastically improve them and if it is, I think that's a greater criticism of how they played before.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 13 Jan 2019 19:39

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal This is where I am, without the initial excitement. I don't have the energy to be conned and disappointed again.

Maybe training is better

I'm not anti Gomes. I thought his appointment was baffling as a great many did but now I'm waiting to see how he does, I'm just not jumping on his bandwagon straight away. This team has had so many false dawns I'm not getting up until I'm sure this time.

He's said and done stuff that encourages me and said and done stuff that concerns me.

Many of these players have disappointed under multiple managers, different ways of playing and in ways that were clearly not just down to who was in charge. I don't buy that a change of manager is all it takes to drastically improve them and if it is, I think that's a greater criticism of how they played before.

I get your stance, I defy anyone to say they weren't baffled by the appointment.....however he seems to bring way more positivity than Clement did and if he does pull off the great escape then clearly sacking the last two was the right decision. Clement could never have achieved keeping us up.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Jan 2019 20:08

Ascotexgunner I always felt Clement was a fraud, it's easy to use words that the fans want to hear. Gomes seems to mean what he says on the other hand. Interesting that Swift and Kelly both said that they were pleased to be going back to playing the football the team were most comfortable playing, which really makes you wonder wtf Clement was trying to achieve.
I know it's 4 points in 3 matches but he has bought an air of positivity I can't quite explain. I feel more positive now. If this guy does something very few of us thought was achievable and keeps this poor excuse for a team up I think we may have at last found the bloke we have been crying out for.

4 points from every 3 games should keep Reading in the division.

Next 3. Derby (a), Bolton (a) and Villa (h)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jan 2019 20:24

Not really looking ahead of the next few games

Need to keep the momentum and get something out of Villa or Derby and must beat Bolton

We’re still deep in trouble. Only a decent run of 2 or 3 wins in a row will get us back in the pack

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2019 20:53

Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

Maybe training is better

I get your stance, I defy anyone to say they weren't baffled by the appointment.....however he seems to bring way more positivity than Clement did and if he does pull off the great escape then clearly sacking the last two was the right decision. Clement could never have achieved keeping us up.

I don't share your view on Clement being certain to take us down, and I think it's easy to be positive early on. But whatever the facts are, people are clearly buying into Gomes (for now) and that can only help lift things.

I'm just not ready to be actively pro Gomes until we're a fair bit further into his reign.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 13 Jan 2019 20:58

Sutekh
Ascotexgunner I always felt Clement was a fraud, it's easy to use words that the fans want to hear. Gomes seems to mean what he says on the other hand. Interesting that Swift and Kelly both said that they were pleased to be going back to playing the football the team were most comfortable playing, which really makes you wonder wtf Clement was trying to achieve.

I can see us getting 3+ points. Lampard, like Stam, is naive and will let us play, they looked really uncomfortable when pressed high by Leeds, which is what I think Gomes will do.....we will get something there, beat Bolton, and Villa is 50\50 no idea which Village team will turn up.....

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Jan 2019 21:34

Sutekh

Can't decide whether that's 7 points or 9

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Jan 2019 22:41

Snowball
Lower West
Snowball

No doubt, but that was his first ten minutes.

There's no secret to Millwall's style of play nor set-plays at corners. Cooper vs Yiadom was a complete mismatch.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Jan 2019 22:48

Ascotexgunner

Clement had actually managed to get us in a reasonable shape prior to his sacking. Considering players available for selection. Gomes team looks little different to what Clements formation had evolved into. Seemingly immediately relegating Aluko and Kelly from the starting 11.

Thought Saturdays subs were interesting. Would have expected more defensive ones to secure the points.

313 posts