Jose’s task starts here

Getthebeerens

Re: Jose’s task starts here

by Getthebeerens » 23 Dec 2018 14:05

If José can come in and give the squad a bit more confidence that will be half the battle won. If you look at the youngsters that have come in they are playing without fear and mainly impressing.

Glad we have had a complete change in coaching staff too particularly a new fitness coach.

Moving into January would like a new left back and a winger who has some defensive responsibility. In terms of outgoings everyone has a price (sell what we can) I’d expect to see a lot of players go out on loan.

bagman

by bagman » 23 Dec 2018 15:54

Gilksie was probably kept because of his links with the Academy, where he was under 18 coach. We still have a strong nucleus of coaches at the Club in Marshall, David Dodds , and Jed Roddy, and losing Gibbs and Beasant will not have a major negative effect. This will be positive for the transition of the younger players into the 1st team.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Dec 2018 16:05

Hound I’ll be pretty amazed if half the team that started yesterday are on the pitch in February

A few tweaks and yesterdays team would make a good foundation for the future.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Dec 2018 16:09

windermereROYAL
And our fans will give him that?. if we lose against Millwall the place will implode.

Depends on whose available for selection. We are down to bare bones. Struggling to remember the last time we had a settled side. This is what is starting to count against us big time. We are so predictable to play against. Expect that Millwall launch an aerial assault and pin us back.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Dec 2018 16:19

Lower West
windermereROYAL
And our fans will give him that?. if we lose against Millwall the place will implode.

Depends on whose available for selection. We are down to bare bones. Struggling to remember the last time we had a settled side. This is what is starting to count against us big time. We are so predictable to play against. Expect that Millwall launch an aerial assault and pin us back.

Not fair to judge the first two results. A manager hardly has time to have an effect

That's why I will start judging AFTER (but not including) QPR

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Dec 2018 16:32

Snowball
Lower West
windermereROYAL

Not fair to judge the first two results. A manager hardly has time to have an effect

I more concerned with the fact that we'll became detached at the foot of the table. While he tinkers around with style and formation, and learning about the strength and weaknesses of the squad. Time is going to tick away quickly now. Every loss means a result somewhere else. Remember we haven't beaten a team in the top half of the table in over a year. No reason to believe that this squad as it stands is capable of anything better. We are in the position we are for good reason.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Dec 2018 16:36

Lower West
Snowball
Lower West

I more concerned with the fact that we'll became detached at the foot of the table. While he tinkers around with style and formation, and learning about the strength and weaknesses of the squad. Time is going to tick away quickly now. Every loss means a result somewhere else. Remember we haven't beaten a team in the top half of the table in over a year. No reason to believe that this squad as it stands is capable of anything better. We are in the position we are for good reason.

I don't disagree, but wanting an immediate effect won't make it happen.

I will reserve judgement until game 3 at the earliest.

That doesn't mean Millwall isn't our biggest game of the season. It is.

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 23 Dec 2018 16:47

As a traditionalist , a bit anti the modern "money biased era" and dreaming of a return to the Reading Way I am disappointed in this management change would have preferred the guy at Wycombe or even Parky over Gomes and his mates BUT I will hope (and support) as much as we all will that that he can make a success of it.

My point concerns Nigel Howe.............

This new team and method does not seem to be consistent with Howe's words when he took over about community, identity etc. This seems a follow the trend/herd like decision latest hip thing is to copy Wolves and others..... something does not seem to fit well with me

We've spent a shed load of money of 5 new backroom faces - are we that loaded ?

Is it a tax move to spend on behalf of the Chinese

Has the "agent" involved done a good selling job on the owners ?

Has the agent gone over Howes head ?

Has Howe been sidelined ?

How many people have been interviewed for the position - or is it all based on agent speak these days

Was Gomes a STRONG recommendation from Howe (based on a full assessment of a sensible short list) or was he told to just implement the decision by the owners. Tim Dellor needs to ask him that question

Has Howe already had enough - can't be arsed to get The Reading Way back on the rails - just buy a shiny new management team off the shelf, do what he's told told to do and then quit

Conspiracy theory - my outside bet is he does not want this team, he has been outsmarted/sidelined and will be gone in 3 months - def by end of he season

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Dec 2018 16:54

Words from this very website

Gomes leaves Rio Ave after winning 5 of his 16 games in charge, which is better than the 1 out of 13 games he won while manager of Baniyas in Abu Dhabi. Nigel Howe however is confident in his record: "He brings new energy, excitement and impetus to Reading and, importantly, he boasts a reputation of creating winning teams with an exciting brand of football. We have been able to secure the services of a manager with a very impressive reputation in his native Portugal."

So it won’t take much to impress then when the the CEO of you new club thinks “creating wining teams” equates to 6 wins from 29.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 23 Dec 2018 16:58

Fred, yeah, the 'Reading Way' was something that came up a lot during the manager 'search'. What's your idea of 'the Reading Way'? Can/should it be exactly replicated, or would it need to be 'tweaked' at all from what it was? What level of success could consistently be achieved with it today and in what division?

There are many fans from many clubs up and down the country who were used to things being done 'their way', and they have had to adjust accordingly, agree?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 23 Dec 2018 19:02

Hound In surprised Gilkes has avoided the chop (if indeed he has)

Bit more junior than Gibbs / Halabi were tbf. Just one of the larger team.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Dec 2018 19:08

Fair enough - guessing he is staying for some continuity as much as anything else

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 23 Dec 2018 21:03

Denver Royal Fred, yeah, the 'Reading Way' was something that came up a lot during the manager 'search'. What's your idea of 'the Reading Way'? Can/should it be exactly replicated, or would it need to be 'tweaked' at all from what it was? What level of success could consistently be achieved with it today and in what division?

There are many fans from many clubs up and down the country who were used to things being done 'their way', and they have had to adjust accordingly, agree?

Very good question Denver and of course hard to answer........... my first impression is this appointment it so at odds with Howe's statements and his approach/experience from days of yore. It makes me wonder

The Reading Way in catch words .........local, community, roots, young lads stepping up to the team (now happening), triumph over adversity (see Maxwell era) , punch above our weight, continuity front of house and back stage, linkage from top to bottom, not "me too", something a little different to the norm, distinct and with identity (perhaps unique), prudent, honest, loyal, proud without being smug, togetherness, family. Exciting bold footie that get the fans making a racket. Adventurous yet grounded

Maybe RTGs make the past look better - it amazes me how we come to be owned by some folk in China - many of the modern changes stem from clubs becoming investments/gambles

Success - another good question. Its taken Madjeski a lifetime (in "productive" years) - to move us up one division. For me success would be 7 successive years around 14th place in Tier 2 - not very glamorous maybe the occasional cup run. Long term building not short short term dash for the cash. I may be one of the few who can see positives coming out of a relegation if that is the way it is to be - as long as the owners are in it for the long haul - 20/25 years ? - and we can learn from our past to make the next incarnation even better than the first

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Dec 2018 21:33

fred sharpes nose
Denver Royal Fred, yeah, the 'Reading Way' was something that came up a lot during the manager 'search'. What's your idea of 'the Reading Way'? Can/should it be exactly replicated, or would it need to be 'tweaked' at all from what it was? What level of success could consistently be achieved with it today and in what division?

Very good question Denver and of course hard to answer........... my first impression is this appointment it so at odds with Howe's statements and his approach/experience from days of yore. It makes me wonder

The Reading Way in catch words .........local, community, roots, young lads stepping up to the team (now happening), triumph over adversity (see Maxwell era) , punch above our weight, continuity front of house and back stage, linkage from top to bottom, not "me too", something a little different to the norm, distinct and with identity (perhaps unique), prudent, honest, loyal, proud without being smug, togetherness, family. Exciting bold footie that get the fans making a racket. Adventurous yet grounded

Maybe RTGs make the past look better - it amazes me how we come to be owned by some folk in China - many of the modern changes stem from clubs becoming investments/gambles

Success - another good question. Its taken Madjeski a lifetime (in "productive" years) - to move us up one division. For me success would be 7 successive years around 14th place in Tier 2 - not very glamorous maybe the occasional cup run. Long term building not short short term dash for the cash. I may be one of the few who can see positives coming out of a relegation if that is the way it is to be - as long as the owners are in it for the long haul - 20/25 years ? - and we can learn from our past to make the next incarnation even better than the first

Yet the Reading Way didn’t completely apply to our most successful team in 2005/6 where no young players came through the ranks. It was a team put together from the lower divisions. Mostly at low cost although Murty and Lita were not cheap purchases. It is a good question that Denver raises. You have nailed it succinctly to be fair but club football has moved on a long way since our glory seasons.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Dec 2018 23:14

Zip You have nailed it succinctly to be fair but club football has moved on a long way since our glory seasons.

Similar to F1 where the gulf grows and grows. To the point that there's no element of sport involved, money determines status. Nor the possibility that a maverick like Hesketh can create something ground up. Concern must be that the Chinese Government clampdown on ownership of football clubs will restrict the ability to fund the clubs future development. Aston Villa have burnt the cash and now seem to be paying the price. Interesting to follow their news. As in a similar boat with regard to an excess of players.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Dec 2018 00:12

Zip
fred sharpes nose

Yet the Reading Way didn’t completely apply to our most successful team in 2005/6 where no young players came through the ranks. It was a team put together from the lower divisions. Mostly at low cost although Murty and Lita were not cheap purchases. It is a good question that Denver raises. You have nailed it succinctly to be fair but club football has moved on a long way since our glory seasons.

For me the 'Reading Way' was about brick by brick building, targeting the right personalities and mixing young potential who didn't quite make the big time, with rising stars from below and a bit of solid experience. And never over extending yourself whilst trying to build for the future, including community and youth. 05/06 was really just a bit too soon to be seeing the benefits of the Academy from when we started it.

I think those principles remain as apt today as they ever were.