Jose’s task starts here

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Jose’s task starts here

by Sutekh » 23 Dec 2018 07:38

This first month or so is going to be absolutely critical for the club. New manager, new thoughts. Transfer window open (though can’t see anyone wanting to come to Reading permanently outside of young fringe players and relative unknowns).

Playing wise, Mr Gomes’ first 6 league games :

Millwall (a)
QPR (a)
Swansea (h)
Forest (h)
Derby (a)
Bolton (a)

Reckon a minimum of EIGHT points is required to maintain a fighting challenge of staying up.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Jose’s task starts here

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Dec 2018 09:52

Can I point out that McDermott and Pardew took over in similar circumstances and it took McDermott a month to get his first league win and we won only 3 of our first 20 league games under Pardew, and that included a run of 13 without a win.

Don't expect instant miracles.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 23 Dec 2018 09:57

From Despair To Where? Can I point out that McDermott and Pardew took over in similar circumstances and it took McDermott a month to get his first league win and we won only 3 of our first 20 league games under Pardew, and that included a run of 13 without a win.

And our fans will give him that?. if we lose against Millwall the place will implode.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Dec 2018 10:01

If the level of mouth frothing on here over his appointment is anything to go by, I can see them calling for his head before the year is out regardless of the results.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Dec 2018 10:05

From Despair To Where? Can I point out that McDermott and Pardew took over in similar circumstances and it took McDermott a month to get his first league win and we won only 3 of our first 20 league games under Pardew, and that included a run of 13 without a win.

The problem is, I think we're far worse off than in either case, and of course Gomes is starting from scratch whilst both the others were internal.

We had a talented squad still with some togetherness from good times (and a few holes) that had been criminally mismanaged by Rodgers under McDermott. A pragmatic approach, a bit of time and instilling belief and we were able to shoot up the table relatively easily.

Pardew had a similar level of mismanaged squad to pick up from Burns, but we were also able to be one of the big spenders in the division.

Our current squad is a mess, endlessly riddled with injuries, expensive flops and we aren't even close to being able to buy our way out of trouble at this level.

Gomes could be amazing and I still struggle to see how he could succee.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Dec 2018 10:10

Which is not so precisely my point.

Do you always have to overanalyse everything to the point that you disappear up your own arse, Ian?
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 23 Dec 2018 10:15, edited 1 time in total.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Dec 2018 10:12

I think he's on a hiding to nothing. Doesn't mean we should be negative towards him though.

Maybe that's the plan. Get relegated under some unknown that everyone hates then appoint the Messiah to hopefully shoot fish in what they assume is the barrel that is League 1.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Dec 2018 10:20

From Despair To Where? Which is not so precisely my point.

Do you always have to overanalyse everything to the point that you disappear up your own arse, Ian?

Ha, think you know the answer to that

It’ll be interesting to see what January brings. I very much expect this isn’t the end of a lot incomings and outgoings. Obvs still a DoF likely to come in. Reckon a lot of players will be shipped out and possibly contracts paid up. Then almost certainly a couple of players from Portugal coming in, probs on loan

I’ll be pretty amazed if half the team that started yesterday are on the pitch in February

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Dec 2018 10:24

I find trying to use accurate comparisons and turning problems around to look at them from all angles interesting and useful personally. Superficial analysis isn't really interesting or helpful. And I thought the point was to discuss opinions, not just state them and move on.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Dec 2018 10:31

No Ian, it comes across that you have a need to prove yourself more right than every one else to the point that you argue over semantics with people who are essentially agreeing with you.

Anyway, not seeing any indicators of the great leap forward that Clement's sacking was meant to herald.

Stability is the key. The past 3 weeks have done nothing to provide that. As I said when Clement was sacked, I do hope that this is one step in a larger plan to take the club forward long term because I'm not seeing it

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Dec 2018 10:44

From Despair To Where? No Ian, it comes across that you have a need to prove yourself more right than every one else to the point that you argue over semantics with people who are essentially agreeing with you.

Anyway, not seeing any indicators of the great leap forward that Clement's sacking was meant to herald.

Stability is the key. The past 3 weeks have done nothing to provide that. As I said when Clement was sacked, I do hope that this is one step in a larger plan to take the club forward long term because I'm not seeing it

I'll work on it.

Otherwise completely agree... which is a bit boring.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 23 Dec 2018 10:51

Hound

Ha, think you know the answer to that

It’ll be interesting to see what January brings. I very much expect this isn’t the end of a lot incomings and outgoings. Obvs still a DoF likely to come in. Reckon a lot of players will be shipped out and possibly contracts paid up. Then almost certainly a couple of players from Portugal coming in, probs on loan

I’ll be pretty amazed if half the team that started yesterday are on the pitch in February

Suspect Tevreden might be doing DoF duties behind the scenes during January while a more permanent replacement is found.

I don’t reckon Howe will be CEO this time next year though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Dec 2018 11:05

Obviously, no matter what anyone thought he's got the job and it's a question of looking forward now. And hopefully he can trigger a few fans to return and some more noise.

What should his first priorities be? I'd say the first five should probably be:
Drill the squad in defending as a team from the front
Drill the squad on passing crisply to feet and into space. Too many are softies, bobblers and behind players
Clearing out some of the surplus to requirements players
Get our treatment room emptied
Sign two or three quality players based on a plan of how the team is best able to play.

I'm worried that he talks about controlling the game and playing out from the back. We've seen that Jaakkola falls apart under that pressure and no one is brave enough to play the quick forward pass or move to make it an option. One of the best things Clement did was move us away from that.

I'm also worried he's talking about taking us to the PL, it seems to underappreciated our problems and smacks of eyes on the clouds tripping over his feet.

On the other hand he's clearly seeing there are problems and this is a tough league. And he has a fresh perspective and will bring fresh coaches in that may be able to get their point across to our players better.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Dec 2018 11:09

In surprised Gilkes has avoided the chop (if indeed he has)

The change of coaching is definitely required. Fitness Coach especially

If we can get Moore, Ilori, Eza, Obita, Bod and Meite back and firing, we really shouldn’t have too many problems getting out of it. Big ‘if’ though

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 23 Dec 2018 11:12

As a fan, I find it hard to be objective, I want to give our players the benefit of the doubt that they will come good (notable exception being CG).

Seems to me that we can't hold the ball up when we find ourselves in forward areas and it leads to few shots/opportunities.

We then concede soft goals and don't recover.

This seems to be irrespective of the team picked (or manager)

Therefore the biggest task for the new man will be to instil Confidence in a squad

This could transform our fortunes.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Dec 2018 11:20

Hound In surprised Gilkes has avoided the chop (if indeed he has)

The change of coaching is definitely required. Fitness Coach especially

If we can get Moore, Ilori, Eza, Obita, Bod and Meite back and firing, we really shouldn’t have too many problems getting out of it. Big ‘if’ though

I’m surprised about Gilkes too. He is fortunate.
Re the players out injured I’m resigned to this continuos stream of injuries taking forever to clear up. Ezatolahi has not played for two months so really shouldn’t being going to the Asia Cup next month.
Bod and Meite have been hugely missed. We have no presence upfront without them.

One other thing. Can we please stop taking short corners.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Dec 2018 11:59

If you had Bod, Meite, Blackett, Moore and Eza in the side, very much doubt we’d take any short corners tbh

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Dec 2018 13:32

From Despair To Where? No Ian, it comes across that you have a need to prove yourself more right than every one else to the point that you argue over semantics with people who are essentially agreeing with you.

Unexpected beef is always the best beef.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Dec 2018 13:50

Is any beef with Ian really unexpected?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Dec 2018 13:57

Snowflake Royal and we aren't even close to being able to buy our way out of trouble at this level.

I agree with most of your post, but I wonder about this bit.

Sure history has shown that throwing money at a squad with Tommy's magnificent seven, or Stam's or Clement's crap hundreds can't buy us out.

But then I think of McDermott who made the killer signing of Jason Roberts and BOOM!

It *could* be the case that all we need is a decent striker (tbf it's something we've been crying out for for aaages) and things will fall into place. How many games have we had under Clement (and Marshall) where all we needed t do was convert a couple more chances and we'd have not had the crap nervous second half of the opposition equalising or winning.

So potentially we are close to buying our way out, if we get a Roberts like character.

Over optimistic mode here: perhaps one fo the reasons we got Gomes is because he has in mind a certain fantastic striker who he he can attract to us. Clutching at straws, yes. Because otherwise **** knows why we went for Gomes...