Is this the worst Royals squad ever? Who would you keep?

Forest Gump

Is this the worst Royals squad ever? Who would you keep?

by Forest Gump » 26 Dec 2018 17:55

I think the answer to my first question is easy; I can’t think of a previous team worst than this.

Who would you keep? apart from ex-academy players I can’t think of many.
Today, at a time when every player should be trying his best to get a result two selfish idiots get sent off.
Both of them should be put on the transfer list and never play for this club again.
And the rest of the senior players can join them as far as I am concerned.
All 3 keepers are sub-standard, Moore’s contract extension was a massive mistake that has affected morale, Swift and Kelly are light-weight Show-boating players of no value at this level. Bodvarsson and Baldock work hard but cannot hit a proverbial door, Aluko has already gone I suspect and if we didn’t have so many other defenders injured I would suggest that we let Gunter, O’shea and McShane go now - but I think we will need them for the next few matches.
Likewise in Midfield where due to the idiot Bacuna we now find we need Meyler for cover.
Personally I’m hoping that Rio Ave or perhaps Wolves will loan us their reserve team.
Certs to go down now. I’m guessing that most of the players contracts include a relegation break clause; which would explain why Gourlay didn’t give a sh!t about us being relegated.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Is this the worst Royals squad ever? Who would you keep?

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Dec 2018 18:05

Rinomhota
Er...

Yeah. Rinomhota.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Dec 2018 18:07

Snowflake Royal Rinomhota
Er...

Yeah. Rinomhota.

Ha yep. Maybe Meite

It’s a starting point

Suspect the rest are pretty much up for sale as it is

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Dec 2018 18:09

Rinomhota
Osho
McIntyre
Loader
Meite
Bodvarsson
Yiadom

I don’t care if any of the other members of the squad are moved on.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Dec 2018 18:14

Zip Rinomhota
Osho
McIntyre
Loader
Meite
Bodvarsson
Yiadom

This Zip

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Dec 2018 18:18

Richards is worth persevering with. But otherwise yep the list above is about right

I’d like to see how Ezatolahi gets on second half of the season as well

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 26 Dec 2018 18:35

To the OP , not even close to being the worse squad EVER, quite comfortably yes in the 2nd tier though.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 26 Dec 2018 18:47

windermereROYAL To the OP , not even close to being the worse squad EVER, quite comfortably yes in the 2nd tier though.

This. For a start TB2’s League One squad was much worse than this one.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Dec 2018 18:49

leon
Zip Rinomhota
Osho
McIntyre
Loader
Meite
Bodvarsson
Yiadom

This Zip

Yup. Agreed.

JR

by JR » 26 Dec 2018 18:58

Forest Gump I think the answer to my first question is easy; I can’t think of a previous team worst than this.

Today, at a time when every player should be trying his best to get a result two selfish idiots get sent off.
Both of them should be put on the transfer list and never play for this club again.
All 3 keepers are sub-standard, Moore’s contract extension was a massive mistake that has affected morale, Swift and Kelly are light-weight Show-boating players of no value at this level. Bodvarsson and Baldock work hard but cannot hit a proverbial door, Aluko has already gone I suspect and if we didn’t have so many other defenders injured I would suggest that we let Gunter, O’shea and McShane go now - but I think we will need them for the next few matches.
Likewise in Midfield where due to the idiot Bacuna we now find we need Meyler for cover.
Personally I’m hoping that Rio Ave or perhaps Wolves will loan us their reserve team.
Certs to go down now. I’m guessing that most of the players contracts include a relegation break clause; which would explain why Gourlay didn’t give a sh!t about us being relegated.

What absolute clap-trap.

In terms of depth of squad and talent of players this is one of our best championship squads ever.

It’s clearly not playing well and needs a manager to find the right formula, but I think you’d struggle to list me a squad a better mixture of experienced international players and young hopefuls (albeit some that have gone off the ball).

And as for your ridiculous comment on sent off players being selfish and never playing again - what absolute nonsense - players don’t get sent off because they are selfish - they make a bad decision and if it was really foolish should be fined accordingly but don’t try and tell me it’s because they only care about themselves.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 26 Dec 2018 19:47

This isn't our worst squad ever, but it is our most underperforming. Take a look at this XI for example:

Goalkeeper; Gunter, Ilori, Moore, Yiadom; McCleary, Kelly, Bacuna, Swift, Barrow; Bodvarsson

Of those, six were part of the side that got to the playoff final less than two years ago (if you can believe that). Yiadom is probably a better fullback than Obita. Bacuna is roughly as good as Williams. Barrow can be roughly as good as Beerens. Bod is a little worse than Kermorgant. Then I don't think any of the three goalkeepers come close to AAH.

I've left out Obita and Eza due to their injuries.

If a manager could get that side playing to the best level they have each produced for us then we would be comfortably mid table. But we have had no consistency or application or game plan. We've also been somewhat unlucky with injuries and have had to play players out of position; we've had Eza and Kelly injured at the same time, and Bod and Meite injured at the same time. Those positions are crucial.

The really frustrating thing about this season is knowing that Swift, Barrow, Moore, and so forth are much better players than they have shown this season. I really think that if this squad was at its best we could go on a run of games that would see us comfortably safe.

Saying that, we are carrying an absolute ton of deadwood. Meyler, Aluko, McShane, O'Shea, Walker, Popa, Clement, Edwards, even Harriott - we could lose them all down the back of the sofa and not notice until we tried to sell it on Gumtree.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 26 Dec 2018 21:02

SCIAG This isn't our worst squad ever, but it is our most underperforming. Take a look at this XI for example:

Goalkeeper; Gunter, Ilori, Moore, Yiadom; McCleary, Kelly, Bacuna, Swift, Barrow; Bodvarsson

Of those, six were part of the side that got to the playoff final less than two years ago (if you can believe that). Yiadom is probably a better fullback than Obita. Bacuna is roughly as good as Williams. Barrow can be roughly as good as Beerens. Bod is a little worse than Kermorgant. Then I don't think any of the three goalkeepers come close to AAH.

If a manager could get that side playing to the best level they have each produced for us then we would be comfortably mid table. But we have had no consistency or application or game plan. We've also been somewhat unlucky with injuries and have had to play players out of position; we've had Eza and Kelly injured at the same time, and Bod and Meite injured at the same time. Those positions are crucial.

The really frustrating thing about this season is knowing that Swift, Barrow, Moore, and so forth are much better players than they have shown this season. I really think that if this squad was at its best we could go on a run of games that would see us comfortably safe.

Saying that, we are carrying an absolute ton of deadwood. Meyler, Aluko, McShane, O'Shea, Walker, Popa, Clement, Edwards, even Harriott - we could lose them all down the back of the sofa and not notice until we tried to sell it on Gumtree.

Hi sorry Bacuna no match for Williams.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Dec 2018 21:09

In terms of mental strength this is the weakest squad I can recall. When was the last time we won a game from a losing position? We go behind and it feels like curtains.
It’s not helped by a God awful style of play where we take high risks at the back but very few risks up front. It’s dire.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 26 Dec 2018 22:01

Henley Royal 1
SCIAG This isn't our worst squad ever, but it is our most underperforming. Take a look at this XI for example:

Hi sorry Bacuna no match for Williams.

Let me dice up your analysis.

Obita is a better left back than Yiadom. Since Obita got injured, opposition teams have attacked us far more down their right hand side and we've looked more vulnerable. Obita's injury is an absolutely massive blow and I hope he can get back soon. To be honest, I am worried he won't come back as the same player, if at all! knee injuries like his are career enders. Look at Jimmy Bullard!

We got to the playoff final because we had a very strong spine backed up by 2 strong wingers and 2 solid full backs. Whilst I agree that Swift, Moore, McCleary and Kelly aren't of the same level they were, I do think some of those were carried by better players. I think Williams was a massive miss. If we had him back I think we'd be more dangerous. Bacuna is absolutely nowhere near Williams' quality, Williams was a far better player. Why did Villa fans want rid of him so much? he's a poor player in truth. He runs around and works hard but makes so many mistakes and lacks any skill.

Al Habsi's shoes have never been filled. Mannone, Walker and Jaakkola are all poor keepers. We need a new number 1 in January and 2 of those 3 need to leave the club. We need a shot stopper and one who can play with the ball at his feet.

Strikers, we have no one who can create something from nothing. Meite, Bod and Baldock have ability to finish although they're average in that respect.

I think one issue is none of our players take ownership and take the game by the scruff of the neck. Kermorgant, McCleary and Beerens and to a lesser extent Swift and Williams did that 2 years ago. Before that, we had players like Kebe, Leigertwood, Alfie, Sigurdsson, Long, Sidwell and Kitson who could do that. None of them really have done that this year consistently. I think a lot of our squad hide and hope someone to do something. We just don't have that quality or confidence to do that.

I think our squad is poor, a mid table squad at best under the right manager. Even 2 years ago we were lucky to win a lot of games.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Dec 2018 22:22

Al Habsi > Current goalkeeper
Gunter < Yiadom (only just)
Moore 16/17 > Moore 18/19
McShane > Ilori (by a country mile)
Obita > Gunter ( at LB)

Williams > Bacuna
Swift 16/17 > Swift 18/19
Joey > Kelly

McCleary 16/17 > McCleary 18/19
Yann > Bod
Beerens > Barrow

Some are dubious but I make that 10-1 to the 16/17 team

Trouble with the current squad is that as individuals they are OK. As a team, there's nothing, you could see how much it meant to McShane, Moore, Joey, Gunter etc when we won in the 16/17 season, now there's nothing. Kelly and Swift and co are onInstagram five minutes after a defeat liking posts. Does that strike to anyone that we've actually got team players in our squad?

Clement was starting to build team cohesion. You could see how much it meant to them holding onto Brizzle, how the Leeds penalty miss affected them, how much Barrow's goal against Stoke boosted them. Sacking him put us back to square one, putting Marshall in charge who picked his academy friends was a disaster (sorry but Loader and Richards are miles away). Whole thing's a mess and the only way we're going is down

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 Dec 2018 23:40

URZZZZ putting Marshall in charge who picked his academy friends was a disaster (sorry but Loader and Richards are miles away).

Marshall picked the players with character that were available. The ommissions speak volumes. When it comes to who you 'd want as a teammate in a dogfight.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 26 Dec 2018 23:58

Definitely keep post January

Rinomhota,
Meite
McCleary
Moore
Barrow
Bodvarsson
O' Shea
Yiadom
Gunter
Richards
Swift

Definitely loan
Popa
Osho/McIntyre
Walker
McNulty or Loader. Probably Loader

Definitely try to offload
McShane
Aluko
Bacuna
Harriott
Edwards
Meyler
Blackett
Mannone
Sims (back to Southampton)

We need

- 1 goalkeeper who can play out from the back and stop shots
- 1 creative midfielder and try sign Ezatolahi
- 1 left back (on loan)
- 1 centre back
- 1 winger
- 1 striker

Realistically I think we will offload 4 and sign 2 players

Royal Monkey

by Royal Monkey » 27 Dec 2018 02:04

URZZZZ

Al Habsi > Current goalkeeper
Gunter < Yiadom (only just)
Moore 16/17 > Moore 18/19
McShane > Ilori (by a country mile)
Obita > Gunter ( at LB)

Williams > Bacuna
Swift 16/17 > Swift 18/19
Joey > Kelly

McCleary 16/17 > McCleary 18/19
Yann > Bod
Beerens > Barrow

Some are dubious but I make that 10-1 to the 16/17 team

Trouble with the current squad is that as individuals they are OK. As a team, there's nothing, you could see how much it meant to McShane, Moore, Joey, Gunter etc when we won in the 16/17 season, now there's nothing. Kelly and Swift and co are onInstagram five minutes after a defeat liking posts. Does that strike to anyone that we've actually got team players in our squad?

Clement was starting to build team cohesion. You could see how much it meant to them holding onto Brizzle, how the Leeds penalty miss affected them, how much Barrow's goal against Stoke boosted them. Sacking him put us back to square one, putting Marshall in charge who picked his academy friends was a disaster (sorry but Loader and Richards are miles away). Whole thing's a mess and the only way we're going is down

+100

Forest Gump

by Forest Gump » 27 Dec 2018 09:32

JR
Forest Gump I think the answer to my first question is easy; I can’t think of a previous team worst than this.

What absolute clap-trap.

In terms of depth of squad and talent of players this is one of our best championship squads ever.

It’s clearly not playing well and needs a manager to find the right formula, but I think you’d struggle to list me a squad a better mixture of experienced international players and young hopefuls (albeit some that have gone off the ball).

And as for your ridiculous comment on sent off players being selfish and never playing again - what absolute nonsense - players don’t get sent off because they are selfish - they make a bad decision and if it was really foolish should be fined accordingly but don’t try and tell me it’s because they only care about themselves.

Thank you for the reply.
Regarding the sendings off I accept that it may not be selfish but it is clearly careless or stupid and we don’t need players with either trait.
Having watched the replays I think Blackett’s foul was more clumsy/late than deliberate so arguably a little harsh ( but he did escape something similar against Boro - so perhaps this was coming).
However in Bacuna’s case it was definitely deliberate and if the FA look at it closely they will see that he had two attempts to use his studs on the guy - so I hope we don’t appeal!
Both players will now be out for several games when we really need them which is really my point.
Their places will have to be filled by someone who isn’t currently considered to be good enough for selection so a poor team just got worse.
I think Mr Gomes has an impossible job and when we go down I hope people remember that it started with Gourlay/Stam/Clement and not him.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Dec 2018 11:01

As others have pointed out, this isn't the worst squad ever. Certainly not ability, but perhaps in relative performance.

I wouldn't be too fussed if any of them left to be honest, but if I were Gomes the players that I'd hope I could keep to play a part in the rebuild of the squad would be...

Yiadom
Moore
Ilori
Swift
Ezatolahi
Rinomhota
Kelly
Bodvarsson
Loader
Plus the other youngsters on the fringes like Osho and McIntyre etc.

The rest of them I wouldn't really bat an eyelid at leaving as long as there were players coming in to maintain the depth (we can lose a fair few before that really matters though to be honest). Those players I'd want to keep are ones I've seen enough from to know that they can play a part at this level moving forwards, They need to sort out their form and fit into the system and style but they're generally good enough if they can do that.

The rest of them have significant question marks against them and so I'd not be bothered to see them leave.