MATCHWATCH : Swansea City (h) sponsored by a new hope

121 posts
Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Swansea City (h) sponsored by a new hope

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Jan 2019 17:14

leon Us Bolton Ipswich all down I reckon.

We get to see the mightily amazing skills of James Coppinger grace the Madejski next year then!

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 01 Jan 2019 17:20

RichTea94
Ascotexgunner
leon
Not sure this is a particularly controversial view, tbh.

Yeah its not like me saying the opposing manager today should have been OURS!!!!!!

Potter wouldn't have come mid-season. Clement was basically the only man available.

Unlike a month ago, when there were actually quite a few half-decent managers out of work.

My belief is (and I'll get shot to pieces for saying this)......we should have sacked Stam and winged it till the end of the season. If we went down, well we went down. To me it was more important we got the right man, or at least have a decent pool to pick from at the end of the season. I've said a zillion times Clement was wrong for the job. All we are doing now is waiting to get relegated......and its getting worse. This could be our season and we are gonna get stuck with a manager who has zero experience of building a side by the looks of it.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Jan 2019 17:26

It was said, under Clement, that it would take 3-4 windows to turn this around, and maybe even a few seasons in the lower divisions.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 01 Jan 2019 17:31

I haven’t been to a game in 3 years because football fans are awful, but I may actually come back next year if we get relegated. I used to love division 2.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 01 Jan 2019 17:32

Ascotexgunner
RichTea94
Ascotexgunner
Yeah its not like me saying the opposing manager today should have been OURS!!!!!!

Potter wouldn't have come mid-season. Clement was basically the only man available.

Unlike a month ago, when there were actually quite a few half-decent managers out of work.

My belief is (and I'll get shot to pieces for saying this)......we should have sacked Stam and winged it till the end of the season. If we went down, well we went down. To me it was more important we got the right man, or at least have a decent pool to pick from at the end of the season. I've said a zillion times Clement was wrong for the job. All we are doing now is waiting to get relegated......and its getting worse. This could be our season and we are gonna get stuck with a manager who has zero experience of building a side by the looks of it.

Agree about Clement, but I would have kept Stam until the end of the season. Similar reasons to yours, but just not sacked him until June.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Jan 2019 17:36

Thought we looked better after Bod came on today. Reckon he will start next game, assuming he's all the way back from injury.

At least Ipswich, Bolton, Wigan all lost today.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 01 Jan 2019 17:37

Pleased to say I could not go today for family reasons so avoided the latest debacle. I felt at the time that appointing Gomes would be a disaster and I have seen nothing to change ny mind yet. It really does seem as though the club hierarchy want the club to fail. I just don’t get it.

And I just dont see that Gomes is the right bloke to rebuild and get us out of League 1 after the almost inevitable relegation. Personally I would have had far more faith in Clement or Parky or Ainsworth etc to achieve that.

Having said all thatI genuinely wish Gomes all the best and hope I am proved wrong.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jan 2019 17:50

Whole thing was just horrible

Thought Swansea were crap. Potter has just turned them into a poor version of Reading 16/17. Negative, boring, diving and just happened to come up against an absolute shambles

Defensively an absolute joke. What is O Shea bringing if he can’t organise a back line? Embarrassing beyond belief

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Jan 2019 17:57

andrew1957 Pleased to say I could not go today for family reasons so avoided the latest debacle. I felt at the time that appointing Gomes would be a disaster and I have seen nothing to change ny mind yet. It really does seem as though the club hierarchy want the club to fail. I just don’t get it.

And I just dont see that Gomes is the right bloke to rebuild and get us out of League 1 after the almost inevitable relegation. Personally I would have had far more faith in Clement or Parky or Ainsworth etc to achieve that.

Having said all thatI genuinely wish Gomes all the best and hope I am proved wrong.

I think the problem is that it’s such a massive gamble at a point in time when we need something a little less risky and dare I say it, a bit boring.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Jan 2019 18:01

Hound Whole thing was just horrible

Thought Swansea were crap. Potter has just turned them into a poor version of Reading 16/17. Negative, boring, diving and just happened to come up against an absolute shambles

Defensively an absolute joke. What is O Shea bringing if he can’t organise a back line? Embarrassing beyond belief

How was Swift? I’d heard he’d transformed into some sort of Maradonna figure?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Jan 2019 18:05

They've always been like that to me tbh.

Even when they were beating us in the play off final and the seasons before that I've always said I'd never want Reading to play the style that Swansea play.

Yet here we are playing this slow possession based football with yet another manager.

It's successful for Swansea so I'm not knocking them for it but it's just not for me I'm afraid.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jan 2019 18:09

leon

How was Swift? I’d heard he’d transformed into some sort of Maradonna figure?

Imo was our 10th worst player. But no doubt the haters will hate on him

Put some nice balls about but needs to be in the no 10 position. Aluko tried but he is just isn’t that good

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 01 Jan 2019 18:12

Gomes telling players they can leave tomorrow.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jan 2019 18:17

windermereROYAL Gomes telling players they can leave tomorrow.

All of them?

Would be fair enough

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 01 Jan 2019 18:18

Warmed to him after that interview tbf

Really scathing of the team and players :lol:

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 01 Jan 2019 18:32

Sebastian the Red I haven’t been to a game in 3 years because football fans are awful, but I may actually come back next year if we get relegated. I used to love division 2.

I too dont think going down would be disastrous. I know its an extreme example, but going down has revitalised Sunderland. When youre 91/92 on ppg in 2018, one thing is obvious - its not much fun. Im not saying we would boss Division 1, because I dont think we will, but it might not be such hard work to follow week in, week out.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jan 2019 18:38

I’m starting to think that maybe we do need to go

We just aren’t good enough for this level currently - we need to learn how to win again

I think we would be very competitive in D1. Awful Bolton, Wigan, Rotherham and Blackburn teams came straight back up. Awful Barnsley and Sunderland teams are currently too 4/5. But we need to stick with a manager and style

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 01 Jan 2019 18:45

John Madejski's Wallet

IS there a podcast for that yet?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 01 Jan 2019 18:47

RG7Fan
John Madejski's Wallet

IS there a podcast for that yet?

Probably appear on BBC IPlayer tomorrow.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jan 2019 18:49

Sadly, I think it's too late to go down for a decent recovery. Too much damage has been done and we're in desperate trouble regardless.

The only way I can see myself with a season ticket next year is if we go down (and probably sack Gomes). I'm worn out of this shit. At least most of you got to see some wins in Stam's first season. It's been about 6 years since I seen us doing ok.

121 posts