BFTG QPR

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG QPR

by maffff » 30 Dec 2018 01:36

Lower West Millwall pressed us back and the unforced errors flowed. Fortunately that wasn't the case today.

You do remember we were one nil down against Millwall early doors, then spent most of the game with 10 men, the last 10 minutes with 9, and pretty much held our own?

I think that probably had a huge factor, along with having a fullback at CB and our best central midfielder at RB...

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Dec 2018 01:54

Old Man Andrews
leon
Snowflake Royal
The way he often ambles around the pitch without making a lot of effort as a spectator with the occasional fancy flick or trick suggests to me he's not the sort we want. He's always been able to put in the odd good performance, particularly against teams that stand off (which some seem to have suggested QPR did). The question is can he cut out the rancid performances and powderpuff effort that sees us get walked all over quite often when he's in the side. And create some actual goals.

It pains me to ever agree with Ian, and I’m sure it’s mutual, however I agree.

John Swift needs to go. He is a fair weather goon who hasn't got an ounce of fight in him. Get rid and generate some cash whilst he is still worth something.

I'd usually agree with y'all, but on today's performance, he's exactly what we do need to get us out of this shite.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 30 Dec 2018 08:44

Great performance , the best in a long time.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 30 Dec 2018 10:22

Thought we played some nice stuff yesterday, but aside from the corner in the first half we never really looked like scoring, even the save from loader looks fairly comfortable on the replay.
QPR let us have the ball for most of the game but we could still barely muster a shot on target while they hit the bar twice and forced jaakola into some good saves.
Once teams have seen how we play a few times I can see them picking us off on the counter quite easily.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 30 Dec 2018 10:24

Crikey, I've read a great deal of bollocks on Hobnob over the years but I think the assassination of Swift must be right up there. Anyone with half a football brain and who went to 'Wall and QPR can see that Swift (and Rino) was the MotM in each game.

Swift is the one player with real quality, vision and skill that we have. Rino is turning into our brightest prospect since Gylfi (although a very different role and type of player.)

Special mentions for yesterday to Aluko who seemed a bit more interested, and O'Shea who didn't put a foot wrong.

I'd like to see Richards and Yiadom gamble more and make forward runs for channel balls - but hey, a clean sheet is a clean sheet.

We really need to sort out a striker or two in whom we have confidence. Meite is so unbelievably poor and his first touch is criminal.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 30 Dec 2018 10:41

Dick Habbin's hairdo Crikey, I've read a great deal of bollocks on Hobnob over the years but I think the assassination of Swift must be right up there. Anyone with half a football brain and who went to 'Wall and QPR can see that Swift (and Rino) was the MotM in each game.

Swift is the one player with real quality, vision and skill that we have. Rino is turning into our brightest prospect since Gylfi (although a very different role and type of player.)

Special mentions for yesterday to Aluko who seemed a bit more interested, and O'Shea who didn't put a foot wrong.

I'd like to see Richards and Yiadom gamble more and make forward runs for channel balls - but hey, a clean sheet is a clean sheet.

We really need to sort out a striker or two in whom we have confidence. Meite is so unbelievably poor and his first touch is criminal.

Totally agree with all of that

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Dec 2018 10:52

paddy20
Dick Habbin's hairdo Crikey, I've read a great deal of bollocks on Hobnob over the years but I think the assassination of Swift must be right up there. Anyone with half a football brain and who went to 'Wall and QPR can see that Swift (and Rino) was the MotM in each game.

Totally agree with all of that

Well I was at neither so I’m looking forward to seeing this Swift that you’re all talking about.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 30 Dec 2018 11:02

When Swift first came to the club he was absolutely brilliant. He's never found that brilliance since he was injured. I just hope that he can find it again under Gomes.

He's possibly the best chance of us avoiding relegation.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Dec 2018 11:13

I think Swift is a pretty typical Academy product from the top 6. Barring the top ones, like your Sterlings, Rashfords and Kanes, far too many of the players the system churns out now are pretty and technical and look good on the highlights but lack something, be it drive, application or mental toughness.

It seems to make them less consistent or fail to fulfil the potential their technical ability suggests they have.

I'd not be too worried if Swift were to leave or not play, but there's no doubting that if he can play anywhere near his best consistently then he's the most creative player we have.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2018 12:04

Hoop Blah I think Swift is a pretty typical Academy product from the top 6. Barring the top ones, like your Sterlings, Rashfords and Kanes, far too many of the players the system churns out now are pretty and technical and look good on the highlights but lack something, be it drive, application or mental toughness.

It seems to make them less consistent or fail to fulfil the potential their technical ability suggests they have.

I'd not be too worried if Swift were to leave or not play, but there's no doubting that if he can play anywhere near his best consistently then he's the most creative player we have.

Easy life and massive money too young isn't it. Told they're special from a young age and so start believing it, but never develop the fight to make it worth anything.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Dec 2018 12:08

maffff
Lower West Millwall pressed us back and the unforced errors flowed. Fortunately that wasn't the case today.

You do remember we were one nil down against Millwall early doors, then spent most of the game with 10 men, the last 10 minutes with 9, and pretty much held our own?

At the time they hadn't won in 8. Millwall went into a shell. As they knew the importance of hanging onto the 3 points. The obvious tactic being to counter attack us. Fortunately for us Millwall didn't have any real pace up front to take advantage . Holding our own is not enough when games of this magnitude need to be won.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Dec 2018 12:11

Snowflake Royal
Hoop Blah I think Swift is a pretty typical Academy product from the top 6. Barring the top ones, like your Sterlings, Rashfords and Kanes, far too many of the players the system churns out now are pretty and technical and look good on the highlights but lack something, be it drive, application or mental toughness.

Easy life and massive money too young isn't it. Told they're special from a young age and so start believing it, but never develop the fight to make it worth anything.

Agreed, he reminds me very much of Piazon, when his game comes off, he looks a standout player but too often it doesn't come off

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Dec 2018 12:14

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal

Agreed, he reminds me very much of Piazon, when his game comes off, he looks a standout player but too often it doesn't come off

Still a young guy with a future ahead of him. Shouldn't write him off yet.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Dec 2018 13:00

Lower West Still a young guy with a future ahead of him. Shouldn't write him off yet.

I’m not writing him off, just making an observation after he’s played the best part of 100 games.

He’ll be 24 at the end of the season. That’s not young, at least it shouldn’t be, but players these days seem to be able to use the excuse of age far later than they ever did.

At the same age Steve Sidwell was the driving force behind our 106 points and then more than held his own in the Premier League. James Harper was 25 alongside him.

Slightly different, but George Best was retiring at 27!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Dec 2018 13:36

Swift’s been in and out this season but been a shout for MOTM in 3 of the last 4 games apparently. Noticeable on the highlights him busting a gut in the 95th min to support an attack where Loader prob should have played him in. Actually pretty much all out highlights in the last month have featured him at the centre of it

Obvs been up and down with us, and had some bad injuries but I do think he is our best hope of staying up. Suspect Gomes thinks similarly.

Looking forward to watching him in Gomes’ system. The way PC was setting up wasn’t doing him a great deal of favours, and he was pretty poor under him

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 30 Dec 2018 14:26

+1

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 30 Dec 2018 14:37

Playing our top goal scorer who averages a goal a game would probably help with that.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 30 Dec 2018 14:55

Any word on Baldock’s exclusion from the squad yesterday? Injured or not selected? Can’t see McNulty wanting to stay in January - probably 5th choice striker now

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Dec 2018 15:13

Jagermesiter1871

Playing our top goal scorer who averages a goal a game would probably help with that.

Calling our second top goalscorer "unbelievably poor" is a bit OTT though. Especially when he's played two games in a couple of days having been out injured for a few weeks.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 30 Dec 2018 19:18

sandman

Calling our second top goalscorer "unbelievably poor" is a bit OTT though. Especially when he's played two games in a couple of days having been out injured for a few weeks.[/quote]

Ummm, but he is .... can't run with the ball, first touch is shocking, doesn't run the channels, can't stay on his feet. Being "second top scorer" is probably more of a reflection of how poor we are up front.

Agreed Bod is marginally better but even then..... :roll:

I like Meite's (and Bod's) "character" but character doesn't win matches.