BFTG QPR

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG QPR

by Zip » 30 Dec 2018 19:28

sandman
Jagermesiter1871
Dick Habbin's hairdo Crikey, I've read a great deal of bollocks on Hobnob over the years but I think the assassination of Swift must be right up there. Anyone with half a football brain and who went to 'Wall and QPR can see that Swift (and Rino) was the MotM in each game.

Swift is the one player with real quality, vision and skill that we have. Rino is turning into our brightest prospect since Gylfi (although a very different role and type of player.)

Special mentions for yesterday to Aluko who seemed a bit more interested, and O'Shea who didn't put a foot wrong.

I'd like to see Richards and Yiadom gamble more and make forward runs for channel balls - but hey, a clean sheet is a clean sheet.

We really need to sort out a striker or two in whom we have confidence. Meite is so unbelievably poor and his first touch is criminal.

Playing our top goal scorer who averages a goal a game would probably help with that.

Calling our second top goalscorer "unbelievably poor" is a bit OTT though. Especially when he's played two games in a couple of days having been out injured for a few weeks.

It’s more than a bit OTT. Meite has been one of the few players to show a bit of fight this season. He has a very decent scoring record this season too. He has only just come back from injury as well so to say he is “unbelievably poor” is unjustified.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Dec 2018 19:31

Think Ian mentioned on the other thread and I agree - he looks like he needs a run of games to get firing

He was unplayable just before his injury - And instrumental in our wins vs Millwall and Brizzle

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2018 19:32

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Ummm, but he is .... can't run with the ball, first touch is shocking, doesn't run the channels, can't stay on his feet. Being "second top scorer" is probably more of a reflection of how poor we are up front.

Agreed Bod is marginally better but even then..... :roll:

I like Meite's (and Bod's) "character" but character doesn't win matches.

FYI - Meite has 6 goals in 21 league games, some playing out wide.
Bod has 7 in 14

Both of these are very good scoring records. We've been poor upfront because they haven't played much recently and are coming back from injury. Not because they aren't very good. Although I suspect they'll both struggle to recovery their pre-injury exceptional level of performance.

Also, tell McDermott's promotion team that character doesn't win games.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Dec 2018 19:40

Just saw the sky highlights in the EFL show, were we playing? you wouldn`t thought so. didn`t show a single chance we had but showed all of QPRs

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 30 Dec 2018 19:47

windermereROYAL Just saw the sky highlights in the EFL show, were we playing? you wouldn`t thought so. didn`t show a single chance we had but showed all of QPRs
possibly demonstrates that while we had a lot of the ball, we didn’t do a lot with it. Though the highlights can be a bit misleading sometimes (like against Millwall when they didn’t show Swift hitting the bar)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Dec 2018 20:15

windermereROYAL Just saw the sky highlights in the EFL show, were we playing? you wouldn`t thought so. didn`t show a single chance we had but showed all of QPRs

The highlights I saw lasted 2 minutes 45 and showed Swift’s effort, Loader’s shot at the end and from memory a couple of other efforts. It was pretty balanced.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Dec 2018 20:18

Zip

The highlights I saw lasted 2 minutes 45 and showed Swift’s effort, Loader’s shot at the end and from memory a couple of other efforts. It was pretty balanced.

Yeah this.

Open your eyes Windermere Royal and try to learn how to punctuate correctly it's really irritating.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Dec 2018 20:39

Snowflake Royal
Dick Habbin's hairdo
Ummm, but he is .... can't run with the ball, first touch is shocking, doesn't run the channels, can't stay on his feet. Being "second top scorer" is probably more of a reflection of how poor we are up front.

Agreed Bod is marginally better but even then..... :roll:

I like Meite's (and Bod's) "character" but character doesn't win matches.

FYI - Meite has 6 goals in 21 league games, some playing out wide.
Bod has 7 in 14

Both of these are very good scoring records. We've been poor upfront because they haven't played much recently and are coming back from injury. Not because they aren't very good. Although I suspect they'll both struggle to recovery their pre-injury exceptional level of performance.

Yeah I agree with this. The same applies to a limited Cardiff City side right now. Character can turn a defeat into a draw and a draw into a win.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Dec 2018 21:01

Old Man Andrews
Zip

Yeah this.

Open your eyes Windermere Royal and try to learn how to punctuate correctly it's really irritating.

Not on the EFL show on the sky sports football channel it didn`t, you are talking about the youtube highlights on the sky sports website.

Fezza

by Fezza » 30 Dec 2018 21:27

Old Man Andrews
Zip

Yeah this.

Open your eyes Windermere Royal and try to learn how to punctuate correctly, it's really irritating.

Poor! I've put in the missing comma for you.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2018 21:44

Watching the highlights again, I can't get past how lucky we are not to have conceded. I know we had some decent efforts, but none looked to me ones that you expect to go in most of the time, whereas that first QPR effort off the bar should have been a nailed on goal, plus a blinding save from Jaakkola to one going inside the far post after a turnover. Not even counting the second one off the bar as that could really have gone anywhere rather than should have been a nailed on goal.

Decent head from Meite first half and a shame it was Richards put through by the nice McCleary back heel rather than any of the forwards.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 30 Dec 2018 21:59

Snowflake Royal FYI - Meite has 6 goals in 21 league games, some playing out wide.
Bod has 7 in 14

My maths is shite but by my reckoning that gives Meite a goal every 3 and half games and Bod a reasonable one goal in every two games - which proves my point that Bod is significantly better as a poacher than Meite.

Besides, one needs a modicum of skill to go with character ... and Meite has precious little of the former (and Bod not much more - think how good he would be if he had a decent first touch, too.)

Look at MaccyD's team and most had more than a soupcon of skill.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Dec 2018 23:07

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Snowflake Royal FYI - Meite has 6 goals in 21 league games, some playing out wide.
Bod has 7 in 14

My maths is shite but by my reckoning that gives Meite a goal every 3 and half games and Bod a reasonable one goal in every two games - which proves my point that Bod is significantly better as a poacher than Meite.

Besides, one needs a modicum of skill to go with character ... and Meite has precious little of the former (and Bod not much more - think how good he would be if he had a decent first touch, too.)

Look at MaccyD's team and most had more than a soupcon of skill.

How many of Bod''s games has he played on the wing?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Dec 2018 23:28

Dick Habbin's hairdo

My eye is detoriating. Yet I've seen plenty of games where we've created no chances for our strikers at all. Likewise I've seen Bod have good chances where he hasn't even got a shot on target. Wolves were happy to let him go for a reason. No big clubs stepped in for his services. Meite has time to improve.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 31 Dec 2018 09:22

Hoop Blah I think Swift is a pretty typical Academy product from the top 6. Barring the top ones, like your Sterlings, Rashfords and Kanes, far too many of the players the system churns out now are pretty and technical and look good on the highlights but lack something, be it drive, application or mental toughness.

It seems to make them less consistent or fail to fulfil the potential their technical ability suggests they have.

Swift is mentioned a few times in Michael Calvin's excellent The Nowhere Men book, and that was the general consensus.

leon
paddy20
Dick Habbin's hairdo Crikey, I've read a great deal of bollocks on Hobnob over the years but I think the assassination of Swift must be right up there. Anyone with half a football brain and who went to 'Wall and QPR can see that Swift (and Rino) was the MotM in each game.

Swift is the one player with real quality, vision and skill that we have. Rino is turning into our brightest prospect since Gylfi (although a very different role and type of player.)

Special mentions for yesterday to Aluko who seemed a bit more interested, and O'Shea who didn't put a foot wrong.

I'd like to see Richards and Yiadom gamble more and make forward runs for channel balls - but hey, a clean sheet is a clean sheet.

We really need to sort out a striker or two in whom we have confidence. Meite is so unbelievably poor and his first touch is criminal.

Totally agree with all of that

Well I was at neither so I’m looking forward to seeing this Swift that you’re all talking about.

Nor me, but I was at Rotherham and if Swift continued that day's form into those two subsequent games, and does the same against Swansea, we'll have half a chance.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 31 Dec 2018 11:59

Whore Jackie
Hoop Blah I think Swift is a pretty typical Academy product from the top 6. Barring the top ones, like your Sterlings, Rashfords and Kanes, far too many of the players the system churns out now are pretty and technical and look good on the highlights but lack something, be it drive, application or mental toughness.

It seems to make them less consistent or fail to fulfil the potential their technical ability suggests they have.

Swift is mentioned a few times in Michael Calvin's excellent The Nowhere Men book, and that was the general consensus.

leon
paddy20
Totally agree with all of that

Well I was at neither so I’m looking forward to seeing this Swift that you’re all talking about.

Nor me, but I was at Rotherham and if Swift continued that day's form into those two subsequent games, and does the same against Swansea, we'll have half a chance.

Steve Sidwell came through the academy ranks at Arsenal. When he arrived at Reading, raw and inexperienced. You couldn't forecast that he would one day make premiership grade.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 31 Dec 2018 12:32

Lower West
Whore Jackie

leon

Steve Sidwell came through the academy ranks at Arsenal. When he arrived at Reading, raw and inexperienced. You couldn't forecast that he would one day make premiership grade.

Totally different characters, Sidwell knew he had to add hard work to his game and did.
I am not sure Swift understands that yet.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 31 Dec 2018 12:46

Pepe the Horseman Was completely against the Gomes appointment, but we looked a different team today. We controlled the game, and it definitely wasn't possession for possession sake. Back four all played very well. Rinomhota class again. And Swift looked every bit the player he can be, some lovely touches and quality passes. Big up Aluko, was playing more central and put in a good performance, clean slate and all that, and the fans appreciated it - hopefully that ovation will give him a bit of a confidence boost. I'm a lot more hopeful of staying up than I was a few days ago.

Interesting and encouraging.

As Aluko liked to cut in, surely it'd have been a very simple chat to have...

Clement: Aluko where do you like to play?
Aluko: CAM
Clement: ok.

It's that simple surely? Gomes sorts this out within days of joining.

Or perhaps it was Gomes' idea.

Either way this is very promising and suggests Gomes at least can talk to the players.

As for all this Swift bashing, the guy is class and I believe beyond our level. In a shit team with zero confidence I can understand his crap days but the guy will do very for us I feel and not look out of place in the PL.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 31 Dec 2018 12:50

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Pepe the Horseman Was completely against the Gomes appointment, but we looked a different team today. We controlled the game, and it definitely wasn't possession for possession sake. Back four all played very well. Rinomhota class again. And Swift looked every bit the player he can be, some lovely touches and quality passes. Big up Aluko, was playing more central and put in a good performance, clean slate and all that, and the fans appreciated it - hopefully that ovation will give him a bit of a confidence boost. I'm a lot more hopeful of staying up than I was a few days ago.

As for all this Swift bashing, the guy is class and I believe beyond our level. In a shit team with zero confidence I can understand his crap days but the guy will do very for us I feel and not look out of place in the PL.

Worst post of 2018.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 31 Dec 2018 13:05

Old Man Andrews
2 world wars, 1 world cup

Worst post of 2018.

You've clearly not read many of my other posts this year :wink: