BFTG QPR

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

BFTG QPR

by URZZZZ » 29 Dec 2018 20:16

Good first half performance, second half less so but all in all a decent point at a team high up in the table, need to take momentum forward to Swansea

Jaakkola 6 - distribution better today, few loose kicks still

Yiadom 7 - calm and composed on the ball, solid defensively
Ilori 6 - accident waiting to happen, he did OK on the whole but could have been punished twice with two sloppy clearances
O'Shea 8 - rock at the back
Richards 8 - much better, was positive and dangerous on the ball

Rinomhota 7 - very good first half, disappointing by his usual standards second half, thought he tired
Swift 8 - controlled the game first 60, died down a little towards the end but was positive and dangerous
Aluko 7 - looked more at home in that position, sprayed the ball around nicely and worked hard

McCleary 6 - brightest of the front three, a few loose touches but his linkup with Yiadom was decent
Meite 3 - harsh but I can't think of anything that he did that was helpful, he miscontrolled the ball numerous times and ran off the pitch a few times as well. Being back from injury isn't a valid excuse to compensate not being able to control the ball. Disappointed with him
Barrow 5 - worked hard and kept the ball well, but was no threat whatsoever in an attacking sense, don't remember him running at his marker and making a cross all game

Subs were too late, feel Kelly/ Meyler should have come on though instead of Loader as we began to lose the midfield battle at the end

Feel positive after that though, signs were there at times, a few too many passes around the back four when we had opportunities to advance, but for four or five days of training, I was surprisingly impressed

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG QPR

by Millsy » 29 Dec 2018 20:44

Useful report thanks.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Dec 2018 20:47

Yeah, mentioned earlier that Swift, McCleary, Aluko and Barrow look different players already. I know quite a few in here don't rate them, and so this can be a positive, or an unexpected bonus, etc
Last edited by Denver Royal on 29 Dec 2018 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Dec 2018 20:53

It will be like a new signing if Aluko can fit in successfully in CAM. certainly need to reposition him because he`s not a winger.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 29 Dec 2018 21:04

Very encouraging. Different type of possession game to Stam as we constantly looked to play through the thirds and did so with some success. Swift and Rinomhota we’re both excellent and the full backs looked to play forward rather than going backwards all of the time. Bottom line though is that we weren’t good enough in both boxes. Meite gives his all but is learning on the job at present and QPR were a threat whenever they made it into our box.
Huge transfer window coming up. If we can stay in the division then they’re might be some better times ahead.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Dec 2018 21:07

Saw a stat that showed Meite only had 17 touches in 82 mins which is a bit poor

Bland

by Bland » 29 Dec 2018 21:10

Aluko looks like a new signing today, he was very good in CAM role whilst McCleary and Swift returned to top form, heres hoping they can stay consistent. I thought Oshea did well as well but Meite was poor. After he was fouled, he'd lay down to much and numerous occasions it stopped Readings momentum. Jakkola had another great game to,

Overall a nice showing and loving the new attacking style., heres hoping they can follow up with back to back wins.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Dec 2018 21:15

Was completely against the Gomes appointment, but we looked a different team today. We controlled the game, and it definitely wasn't possession for possession sake. Back four all played very well. Rinomhota class again. And Swift looked every bit the player he can be, some lovely touches and quality passes. Big up Aluko, was playing more central and put in a good performance, clean slate and all that, and the fans appreciated it - hopefully that ovation will give him a bit of a confidence boost. I'm a lot more hopeful of staying up than I was a few days ago.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Dec 2018 21:16

Pepe the Horseman Was completely against the Gomes appointment, but we looked a different team today. We controlled the game, and it definitely wasn't possession for possession sake. Back four all played very well. Rinomhota class again. And Swift looked every bit the player he can be, some lovely touches and quality passes. Big up Aluko, was playing more central and put in a good performance, clean slate and all that, and the fans appreciated it - hopefully that ovation will give him a bit of a confidence boost. I'm a lot more hopeful of staying up than I was a few days ago.

Interesting. Very interesting.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Dec 2018 21:19

Pepe the Horseman Was completely against the Gomes appointment, but we looked a different team today. We controlled the game, and it definitely wasn't possession for possession sake. Back four all played very well. Rinomhota class again. And Swift looked every bit the player he can be, some lovely touches and quality passes. Big up Aluko, was playing more central and put in a good performance, clean slate and all that, and the fans appreciated it - hopefully that ovation will give him a bit of a confidence boost. I'm a lot more hopeful of staying up than I was a few days ago.

That sounds hopeful. Let’s be honest. Aluko had never been comfortable playing on the wing and has constantly moved inside towards the centre of the pitch. Perhaps he is now playing where he feels comfortable.

Half Horse
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Half Horse » 29 Dec 2018 21:25

Decent game, decent entertainment, decent performance and a decent result.

Bit surprised QPR are up near the playoffs as I thought they were fairly poor but we passed the ball well and had the majority of possession. Swift and Rinomhota were our best players but was disappointed by the front three who, I felt, didn't make much impact. Good to keep a clean sheet but we desperately need a big threat up front. Maybe that's John Dadi now he's back.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 29 Dec 2018 21:31

I actually thought we did OK today.
Fair enough QPR were pretty useless but Swift totally controlled midfield and if we had a cutting edge, we would have won comfortably.
Hard to pinpoint what has changed, but the manager appears to have installed some confidence and belief.
Any neutral watching this afternoon would not have had us of the two as the relegation candidates.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Dec 2018 22:10

The fact that various players can have such a markable difference in performance is more than just confidence. Awful attitude, particularly swift. Not the sort of player's we need at our club long term.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Dec 2018 22:16

I’ve never thought Swift has had a particularly bad attitude. Lacks confidence and defensively he is poor but I think it matters to him more than some

Either way, I suspect whether we stay up or not largely depends on his form for the next 4 months or so. Clearly going to be a key player for Gomes

Moonfish

by Moonfish » 29 Dec 2018 22:28

Not sure how anyone can accuse Swift of having an awful attitude, this is a player who left Chelsea and came down to Reading as he was hungry to be playing football week in week out.

Yes he's young, yes he's still developing his game, yes he can frustrate at times (as well as dazzle) , but one thing I personally wouldn't doubt is his attitude.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Dec 2018 22:39

Hound Saw a stat that showed Meite only had 17 touches in 82 mins which is a bit poor

Received no service as such today.

McCleary was a good choice of Captain on the day. Led by example.

O'Shea is invaluable in helping the lesser experienced players and keeping the defence organised.

Rinomhota another excellent performance.

After the first 30 minutes of the game was wondering if QPR had turned up on the day. Very limited side though well organised. When the opposition have an off day like this we need to capitalise. While the formation worked today. Concern must be that it is too lightweight against more direct footballing sides. Millwall pressed us back and the unforced errors flowed. Fortunately that wasn't the case today. Need to sort the keeper position out as none currently fill me with any confidence. Jaakkola made one terrible decision in the second half. That could have cost us dear.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2018 00:16

Hound I’ve never thought Swift has had a particularly bad attitude. Lacks confidence and defensively he is poor but I think it matters to him more than some

Either way, I suspect whether we stay up or not largely depends on his form for the next 4 months or so. Clearly going to be a key player for Gomes

The way he often ambles around the pitch without making a lot of effort as a spectator with the occasional fancy flick or trick suggests to me he's not the sort we want. He's always been able to put in the odd good performance, particularly against teams that stand off (which some seem to have suggested QPR did). The question is can he cut out the rancid performances and powderpuff effort that sees us get walked all over quite often when he's in the side. And create some actual goals. I don't think he lacks confidence, I think he lacks commitment to the team/fight and decision making.

Personally, I think you have to 'hide' Swift in the attacking midfield slot behind the striker where he can't do a lot of damage defensively, but he might create something. Which puts him in competition with Aluko, and Clement, maybe Bacuna, Baldock, McNulty and Loader.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 30 Dec 2018 00:22, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Dec 2018 00:21

CountryRoyal

The fact that various players can have such a markable difference in performance is more than just confidence. Awful attitude, particularly swift. Not the sort of player's we need at our club long term.

Think that's a bit harsh. Maybe he's just thriving under different instructions. Everything went through him today, could be that he's better when people are giving him the ball, rather than when he has to go chasing for it.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Dec 2018 00:22

Snowflake Royal
Hound I’ve never thought Swift has had a particularly bad attitude. Lacks confidence and defensively he is poor but I think it matters to him more than some

The way he often ambles around the pitch without making a lot of effort as a spectator with the occasional fancy flick or trick suggests to me he's not the sort we want. He's always been able to put in the odd good performance, particularly against teams that stand off (which some seem to have suggested QPR did). The question is can he cut out the rancid performances and powderpuff effort that sees us get walked all over quite often when he's in the side. And create some actual goals.

It pains me to ever agree with Ian, and I’m sure it’s mutual, however I agree.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Dec 2018 01:24

leon
Snowflake Royal

The way he often ambles around the pitch without making a lot of effort as a spectator with the occasional fancy flick or trick suggests to me he's not the sort we want. He's always been able to put in the odd good performance, particularly against teams that stand off (which some seem to have suggested QPR did). The question is can he cut out the rancid performances and powderpuff effort that sees us get walked all over quite often when he's in the side. And create some actual goals.

It pains me to ever agree with Ian, and I’m sure it’s mutual, however I agree.

John Swift needs to go. He is a fair weather goon who hasn't got an ounce of fight in him. Get rid and generate some cash whilst he is still worth something.