205 posts
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG - Swansea

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Jan 2019 19:03

Old Man Andrews
Pepe the Horseman
Ascotexgunner
I think I'll just cut and paste your review if that's OK OMA.
Can I also add that Loader isn't and never will be good enough.

He's 18, and has played what, five games? Nearly won us the game on Saturday, and set up our goal today. Give him a chance ffs.

I would agree. I think it's fair to say though that he might not be ready for a Championship relegation battle though based upon what I've seen. Wouldn't dream of saying he'll never be a decent player though.

Yep. Also probably doesn't help that half our fanbase expected him to singlehandedly save us from relegation.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Jan 2019 19:04

POSITIVES

I didn't go to the game so it's easier perhaps for me to be positive, but here they are.

1) Harriott's return. IIRC he was doing really well before he got injured so it's great to have him back.

2) Eye opener for Gomes. No shitty narrow defeat or useless draw, but the real deal: a major whooping at home by a mediocre side, with all the frailties of the team laid bare for Gomes to see. Couldn't come at a better time with the transfer window open. The interview he gave was very honest, very solid and quite franky I was impressed. I'm not necessarily saying I'm a fan of the appointment as I share people's confusion about his appointment, but we couldn't ask for more from the interview. This match seems to have taught him a LOT about individual players, the supporters, the league, and most importantly the players' headspace.

Ridiculous as this may sound this *could* continue to play out as a catastrophic season ending in League 1 footy, or this could well be the turning point for Gomes and his team to get to grips very quickly with the problems we have, ship out a load of players and bring in some quality to turn this around. The timing couldn't be better as I say. And whilst 4-1 seems awful let's face it we were always probably going to lose anyway. At least with this sort of defeat lessons are being learnt very quickly.

Have faith in the Gomes- like it or not we have no choice! He's a nice chap, let's support him :)

GOMES' BARMY ARMY!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Jan 2019 19:09

2 world wars, 1 world cup POSITIVES

I didn't go to the game so it's easier perhaps for me to be positive, but here they are.

1) Harriott's return. IIRC he was doing really well before he got injured so it's great to have him back.

2) Eye opener for Gomes. No shitty narrow defeat or useless draw, but the real deal: a major whooping at home by a mediocre side, with all the frailties of the team laid bare for Gomes to see. Couldn't come at a better time with the transfer window open. The interview he gave was very honest, very solid and quite franky I was impressed. I'm not necessarily saying I'm a fan of the appointment as I share people's confusion about his appointment, but we couldn't ask for more from the interview. This match seems to have taught him a LOT about individual players, the supporters, the league, and most importantly the players' headspace.

Ridiculous as this may sound this *could* continue to play out as a catastrophic season ending in League 1 footy, or this could well be the turning point for Gomes and his team to get to grips very quickly with the problems we have, ship out a load of players and bring in some quality to turn this around. The timing couldn't be better as I say. And whilst 4-1 seems awful let's face it we were always probably going to lose anyway. At least with this sort of defeat lessons are being learnt very quickly.

Have faith in the Gomes- like it or not we have no choice! He's a nice chap, let's support him :)

GOMES' BARMY ARMY!

Yeah those pesky useless draws giving us a point to stay in touch with the sides above them!!! Much better to have a 4-1 defeat.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jan 2019 19:13

Loader did ok. Showed for the ball nicely and a great assist. Needs to be quicker with his decision making though. As mentioned did far far better than our starting 3 who were utterly woeful

Whole back 5 was dreadful. Midfield, so often the weak point, was the only area in any credit. Stats show Stamsea only had 8 shots (5 on target) and 1 corner - to concede 4 to that is dismal.

Thought the third goal was borderline offside tbh. Still don’t really see the penalty. But would have made little difference to the result

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 01 Jan 2019 19:13

GOMES' BARMY ARMY!

Personally think he sounded exactly like Clement in the post-match interview.

download

by download » 01 Jan 2019 19:14

John Madejski's Wallet Also......WTF happened with that Barrow corner? :? :lol:

Did he accidently kick it? or intentionally play a short corner not realising any reading players were there?

According to the commentary he managed to kick the flag post by accident and then could only get minimal power on the ball.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 01 Jan 2019 19:17

We lost 4-1 to Plymouth before Brian saved us after Rodger's dismal reign, perhaps this will be the kickstart of our season?

Ok wishful thinking.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Jan 2019 19:18

Jaakkola - Crap. Indecisive with terrible kicking. First job this window is a new keeper. 0

Yiadom - The others are so crap that it's catching. Worst game for the club so far. 1

O'Shea - Should never be starting two games in a few days at his age. Ponderous and looked every one of his 37 years and a few more on that. 1

Illori - Sick of this casual PoS. He wanders around thinking he's Raphael Varane when he's more like Raphael the Ninja Turtle. You're in a relegation scrap getting rinsed by crap like Oli McBurnie you tw@. 0

Richards - Torn apart by the experienced Dyer. Not at the races at all. 1

McCleary - He's finished I'm afraid. Real shame to see how the injuries have beaten him. 1

Swift - Tried but he just couldn't get a grip on the game. 2

Rinomhota - Tried a couple of runs. Was the only one to play with any sort of intensity. 3

Aluko - What is there left to say? Should be the first one in that office being told where to go. 0

Barrow - Cant believe this is the same person I voted for as player of the season last year. He can't blame Clement now so what is the excuse going to be? Doesn't take people on anymore. Should have let the ball go out for the second goal rather than kicking it straight to a Swansea player. 0

Meite - Tried his best but got little to no service. Good cross just needed him to run in and head it in himself. Seems to be struggling for fitness since his injury. 3

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Jan 2019 19:22

Kitsondinho

GOMES' BARMY ARMY!

True. Certainly in terms of his honesty and decency and likability.
Both decent guys, as was Stam also, to be fair.
But we are where we are, Gomes is our man.
Remember a good interview is one thing, converting it into action is where it counts. Clement and Stam had the honesty and interview skills but were clueless. Let's hope Gomes can actually do something now.

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 01 Jan 2019 19:23

Reading Football Club as many of us remember it, is long dead.

The days of players in the away end at Sheffield United are a distant memory.

A club that had an affinity with its fan base and seemed to want to engage, left the building.

Welcome to new football, I can't invest, so I'm out.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Jan 2019 19:30

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Kitsondinho

GOMES' BARMY ARMY!

True. Certainly in terms of his honesty and decency and likability.
Both decent guys, as was Stam also, to be fair.
But we are where we are, Gomes is our man.
Remember a good interview is one thing, converting it into action is where it counts. Clement and Stam had the honesty and interview skills but were clueless. Let's hope Gomes can actually do something now.

Stam was about as honest as Derek Trotter selling Hindu crash helmets down Peckham market.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jan 2019 19:39

Think Stams constant criticism of the fans has still left a cloud as well tbh

Gomes seems a decent guy, but need a hell of a lot more than that to save us from the shocking position we’ve found ourselves in

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 01 Jan 2019 19:40

Thought Gomes sounded very similar to Stam on BBCRB where he basically said the players on the pitch don’t resemble those he sees in training and basically didn’t do what they’ve been coached to do. There’s a few players who will be looking for new clubs.

Personally I wouldn’t give Gomes a penny to spend. Loans only - he’ll be gone by the summer. Won’t fancy League 1 and probably has a get out clause

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 01 Jan 2019 19:43

Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal
Hound SS highlights don’t put things in any better light. Really poor defending. Disorganised mess

Their Pen though - watched it back about 6 times - where was the foul? If it was McCleary surely outside the area. But none of the players even bothered to argue.

Ref was a bit w@nk tbh. Their 23 threw the ball away on a yellow and somehow the ref just ignored it. same for some clown who booted it miles in the first half after a free kick given away.

Pen - Yiadom was all over his back and when the player turned him he ran into his leg and went over. Soft, but you get that tight and physical in the box and you're asking for trouble.

I saw Swift do three things in the highlight. A lame freekick on target, a shit cross shot that had the keeper stepped back another inch or two would have been the lamest goal I've seen us score since Al-Habsi dropped the ball in his own net against us, and then a pointless turn into trouble and pass straight to a Swansea player to start a break that nearly led to a goal. Obviously not representative of his performance across the entire match. He really just can't play proper midfield, he's got one position where he isn't just a liability who occasionally takes a nice free kick or does some flashy control or pass, and that's No. 10 - in fairness got Gomes, we don't have a lot of options with Bacuna acting like a teenage moron and a casualty list longer than the Light Brigade's.

Some horrendous defending in there. Yiadom has obviously given up trying and is resigned to getting relegated from the Championship two seasons in a row after a very poor career choice to come here. Still, at least he isn't on O'Shea's hat-trick of relegations, the man to organise our defence. PMSL.

Agree with Ian Royal.

When horses are in pain and can no longer function they are taken behind the barn and shot. We need about 16 bullets.

We'd still miss.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 01 Jan 2019 19:44

I wonder how our Portrogeezer will cope with League one?
Our centre backs couldn't even deal with the number 9 they had, who looks like a Sunday league player. We made a pretty average side look like Brazil.
Talk about poor defending FFS!

We are totally oxf*rd!

I just wish this season would end. :(

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Jan 2019 19:54

Nathan Dyer quote from an interview in FFT magazine years ago.

Toughest opponent
Probably the whole Reading team when we played them in the Championship. They were just so strong and disciplined. Steve Sidwell was different class.
Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/na ... UloBO8b.99

I bet if you asked him who his easiest opponent has been today's Reading team would be top of the list.

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 01 Jan 2019 20:09

Watched it on ifollow from here.

Things which for me epitomised today's performance:

Jaakkola doesn't look happy with the ball at his feet. There was one occasion in the 1st half where he played it short and then got it back and we almost conceded an own goal. If you have a player like Meite, then use him as a target. The lobs out to the wings were stupid, he should learn to go long. Look at what Swansea did, when we pushed up, they went long.

Richards had a shocker. Every time they had a goal in the first half, the keeper went to our left side. He got out jumped, outpaced by Dyer and had no idea whether to go to or to leave. That led to their 1st goal. There is potential in him but like most of the players, he just didn't play well.

Swift has looked better in the last 2 games. He has some of his swagger back, but he's still too weak on the ball. His free kick was a decent effort, but no one is going to score from 35 plus yards out unless you happen to be Ronaldinho or Beckham.

Meite shouldn't be start in front of Bod. He's a workhorse, but like someone else posted, he was a passenger today.

It was good to see Harriott back in and he took his goal nicely. But it all came from Bod's pass.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 01 Jan 2019 20:14

First twenty minutes, I don’t think more than a couple of passes found a hooped shirt: Mostly straight at the opposition or so telegraphed that they obliged by picking up anyway. For them, from their end to ours seemed shorter than for us.

Thank the lord for the subs, esp Harriott, otherwise watching their defence play with us in the last 15 minutes was like watching a cat with an injured bird. Ah well, positives, the couple of STs in our family will be cheaper next year.

Negatives, well it’s ManOxfU next.

Forty

by Forty » 01 Jan 2019 20:22

Singing Defective First twenty minutes, I don’t think more than a couple of passes found a hooped shirt: Mostly straight at the opposition or so telegraphed that they obliged by picking up anyway. For them, from their end to ours seemed shorter than for us.

Thank the lord for the subs, esp Harriott, otherwise watching their defence play with us in the last 15 minutes was like watching a cat with an injured bird. Ah well, positives, the couple of STs in our family will be cheaper next year.

Negatives, well it’s ManOxfU next.

Being a sub at 4-0 down is relatively easy. Swansea had backed off, game was all done. Let's see how they do when they start next

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 01 Jan 2019 20:34

It’s a great move for Gomes he will be sacked in April once relegation is confirmed return to Portugal with a million quid in his back pocket. His staff agent all grinning to the bank while we will be watching Fleetwood Town and Accrington Stanley.

205 posts