Re: The midfield

by Snowball » 06 Jan 2019 12:26

Snowflake Royal
Snowball McNulty has always looked decent to me, plenty of movement
a bit like a number 10/AMF

I think, from what we have our top two should be Bod-McNulty
and the pair GIVEN TIME to form a partnership

Loader and Baldock as subs, trying to give Loader 20 minutes most games

No Meite? He's a good old battering ram who scares defences more than Bod and creates more loose balls to capitalise on IMO... Not saying he's better than Bod, just surprised he doesn't seem to make your cut.

IMO Meite isn't a classic knock-down target man. He has raw power etc, but
that is really it (but he's raw and might improve)

Bod has more skills, can head the ball, but IMO is a better "cog in the machine"
player, that a regular partner would quickly learn to live off, because he would
do (often) what that partner expects.

Meite, theoretically (might take a while - cough!) could become a very powerful
quality striker, but he plays (IMO) like a loose canon. I'm not sure where he will
be or what he will do.

Like Loader, I think he should get twenty minutes a game and time to hone his skills.

Loader just needs experience and to bulk a little over time

Unless there is a sudden change in form/stats I would be tempted to offload BALDOCK
rather than McNulty. Free some wages (he'll be on a whack)

Put it this way. If we need a goal and it's the 65th minute, I'd want McNulty on, or coming on.

I'd have little faith in Baldock coming on to change a game

Sure he has some class but he just isn't 'that goal-scoring, dangerous front man"

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 06 Jan 2019 12:53

URZZZZ I'd play Kelly as the deep lying playmaker, dictating the play like he did today.

Been tried before. By both Stam and Clement. More often or not ineffective. All the opposition has to do is mark him out of possession. Nor has the strength or physicality to offer any defensive quality in front of the defence.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jan 2019 13:23

I quite like our midfield nowadays. Been the most functional part of the team recently

Rinomhota has made a huge difference. He’d be mine and no doubt many others first name on the teamsheet

Eza if he returns to the levels he showed before injury (3 months out now), Rino and Swift in the 10 role would be my ideal. Bacuna back up for Eza, Kelly for Rino and Aluko for Swift. East as general cover after that

I’m assuming Eza will be back in the next week or so? Marshall said he was training again about a month ago

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jan 2019 14:42

Snowball
Snowflake Royal
Snowball McNulty has always looked decent to me, plenty of movement
a bit like a number 10/AMF

I think, from what we have our top two should be Bod-McNulty
and the pair GIVEN TIME to form a partnership

Loader and Baldock as subs, trying to give Loader 20 minutes most games

No Meite? He's a good old battering ram who scares defences more than Bod and creates more loose balls to capitalise on IMO... Not saying he's better than Bod, just surprised he doesn't seem to make your cut.

IMO Meite isn't a classic knock-down target man. He has raw power etc, but
that is really it (but he's raw and might improve)

Bod has more skills, can head the ball, but IMO is a better "cog in the machine"
player, that a regular partner would quickly learn to live off, because he would
do (often) what that partner expects.

Meite, theoretically (might take a while - cough!) could become a very powerful
quality striker, but he plays (IMO) like a loose canon. I'm not sure where he will
be or what he will do.

Like Loader, I think he should get twenty minutes a game and time to hone his skills.

Loader just needs experience and to bulk a little over time

Unless there is a sudden change in form/stats I would be tempted to offload BALDOCK
rather than McNulty. Free some wages (he'll be on a whack)

Put it this way. If we need a goal and it's the 65th minute, I'd want McNulty on, or coming on.

I'd have little faith in Baldock coming on to change a game

Sure he has some class but he just isn't 'that goal-scoring, dangerous front man"

Fair enough.

I'd also be mindful of League One. McNulty is more likely to be of use there than Baldock.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jan 2019 14:43

Lower West
URZZZZ I'd play Kelly as the deep lying playmaker, dictating the play like he did today.

Been tried before. By both Stam and Clement. More often or not ineffective. All the opposition has to do is mark him out of possession. Nor has the strength or physicality to offer any defensive quality in front of the defence.

Kelly will play better with Rino, because then Kelly isn't the only one moving and showing for the ball in midfield, And Rino can get stuck in and do the more physical stuff too.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Jan 2019 15:11

Old Man Andrews
leon
Old Man Andrews
You'd include Bacuna who got himself deliberately sent off in order to get New Years off.... Wow I knew you were clueless when it came to football but this is a new low for you.

I know it’s Ian Royal, who deserves it, but this constant shit trolling at anyone who has an opinion (actually a bit like Ian Royal) is fcuking tedious.

Just stop it. You’re dull,

It's called disagreeing with someone Leon you miserable old man.

mrs leon, is that you?

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 06 Jan 2019 15:27

Hound I quite like our midfield nowadays. Been the most functional part of the team recently

Rinomhota has made a huge difference. He’d be mine and no doubt many others first name on the teamsheet

Eza if he returns to the levels he showed before injury (3 months out now), Rino and Swift in the 10 role would be my ideal. Bacuna back up for Eza, Kelly for Rino and Aluko for Swift. East as general cover after that

I’m assuming Eza will be back in the next week or so? Marshall said he was training again about a month ago

Agree with this

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Jan 2019 15:29

leon
Old Man Andrews
leon
I know it’s Ian Royal, who deserves it, but this constant shit trolling at anyone who has an opinion (actually a bit like Ian Royal) is fcuking tedious.

Just stop it. You’re dull,

It's called disagreeing with someone Leon you miserable old man.

mrs leon, is that you?

We could never marry. It would be forbidden love like in Romeo and Juliet.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 06 Jan 2019 15:33

Surprised the midfield is getting as much praise. I posted this in the 'Are we really going down' thread:

'We're more than half way thru the season, and was looking back at some stats. A few things jumped out:

- We've played 26 games, and in 18 of them, we've scored either 0 or 1 goal.
- In the 26 games, there's only been 4 games in which a non-striker scored
- In the 26 games, a non-striker has only scored 2 'meaningful' goals (Bacuna scored winner vs Preston and Brizzle)
- The only non-striker who has more than 1 goal is Bacuna (with 3)

Even with everyone gushing about Rino, he hasn't scored, or looked likely to. How many assists does he have? Yes, I know he's a 'young lad', and he's played def-mid. But you do see def-mid's weigh in with goals/assists over the course of a season.

So, could use the Mid (and the Def) weighing in with more goals. (Morrison and Bamba, two CB's, scored about a dozen goals between them in Champ for Cardiff last season).

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 06 Jan 2019 16:12

Btw, not sure about Yiadom at wing-back. Currently, he can't really pick out a pass with much consistency. And even when he he gets in good positions and crosses the ball with his right peg, he has the innate ability to usually find an opponent with the unwavering accuracy of a heat seeking missile. Still, wing-back is an interesting idea.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 06 Jan 2019 16:30

Denver Royal Surprised the midfield is getting as much praise. I posted this in the 'Are we really going down' thread:

'We're more than half way thru the season, and was looking back at some stats. A few things jumped out:

- In the 26 games, a non-striker has only scored 2 'meaningful' goals (Bacuna scored winner vs Preston and Brizzle)

Even with everyone gushing about Rino, he hasn't scored, or looked likely to. How many assists does he have? Yes, I know he's a 'young lad', and he's played def-mid. But you do see def-mid's weigh in with goals/assists over the course of a season.

So, could use the Mid (and the Def) weighing in with more goals. (Morrison and Bamba, two CB's, scored about a dozen goals between them in Champ for Cardiff last season).

I agree with this.

We aren't hurting teams or creating meaningful chances.

Apart from a clinical goalscorer, I'd say better use of our midfield to create goal scoring chances will be key to having a chance of survival

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jan 2019 18:40

Denver Royal Surprised the midfield is getting as much praise. I posted this in the 'Are we really going down' thread:

I don't agree with criticising a player for not succeeding at something that's not part of his role. And in any case, you're talking about defensive midfielders weighing in with the odd goal and assist over the course of a season. Rinomhota's played 11 games. If you're expecting 2/3 goals over a season, which isn't unreasonable - though hardly worthy of complaint if its not achieved, he's not exactly overdue.

I'd complain more about the lack of goals coming from our actual attackers outside of Bod and Meite. Or the centrebacks, who go up for every corner and many freekicks, unlike Rino who'll be standing back more.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Jan 2019 18:51

Snowflake Royal

I don't agree with criticising a player for not succeeding at something that's not part of his role. And in any case, you're talking about defensive midfielders weighing in with the odd goal and assist over the course of a season. Rinomhota's played 11 games. If you're expecting 2/3 goals over a season, which isn't unreasonable - though hardly worthy of complaint if its not achieved, he's not exactly overdue.

I'd complain more about the lack of goals coming from our actual attackers outside of Bod and Meite. Or the centrebacks, who go up for every corner and many freekicks, unlike Rino who'll be standing back more.

+100

How many times did Karacan, Leigertwood and Tabb score collectively when we were promoted in 2012. The goals were spread out with Pearce and Gorkss nodding in a few, Harte chipping in with freekicks, Kebe and Mcanuff with a few each and Roberts, Hunt, Le Fondre and even Church scoring some. Infact I wouldn't be surprised if CM was the position that scored the least that season (could be wrong mind)

Rinomhota's job isn't about scoring goals (I don't recall him even having a shot), the two CM's are supposed to be able to move the ball on for the 3 attacking midfielders/wingers behind the striker and they've been doing a good job of that recently, it's not their fault Barrow, Aluko, Swift and McCleary aren't delivering the goods

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 06 Jan 2019 19:56

Denver Royal Btw, not sure about Yiadom at wing-back. Currently, he can't really pick out a pass with much consistency. And even when he he gets in good positions and crosses the ball with his right peg, he has the innate ability to usually find an opponent with the unwavering accuracy of a heat seeking missile. Still, wing-back is an interesting idea.

Play Bacuna as a right wing back. Did a decent job at RB for much of last season, can defend and pick a pass/cross

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Jan 2019 19:58

3points
Denver Royal Btw, not sure about Yiadom at wing-back. Currently, he can't really pick out a pass with much consistency. And even when he he gets in good positions and crosses the ball with his right peg, he has the innate ability to usually find an opponent with the unwavering accuracy of a heat seeking missile. Still, wing-back is an interesting idea.

Play Bacuna as a right wing back. Did a decent job at RB for much of last season, can defend and pick a pass/cross

Yeah he did such a great job of that didn't he......

Awful opinion.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 06 Jan 2019 20:00

Old Man Andrews
3points

Yeah he did such a great job of that didn't he......

Awful opinion.

You’re so funny

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 06 Jan 2019 20:10

Snowflake Royal

It might be a small part, but it's a part of every outfield player's role to score goals if they can, no matter where they line up. Obv it's 'weighted', and no doubt it's a much bigger role for strikers, wingers, etc, no question. You can say 'It's not their job' if you want, but on any given Saturday you see CB's score goals. You see FB's score goals. You see Def-Mids score goals. It happens, whether it's 'their job' or not. I'm not going to get in to 'complaining more or less' or the specific 'weighting of criticism' with you. Bottom line, as a team we're struggling to score, and the main intent was to post stats that show it would help if non-strikers, as a group, scored more goals for us. And I didn't forget CB's, I specifically mentioned CB's from another team.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jan 2019 20:53

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal

It might be a small part, but it's a part of every outfield player's role to score goals if they can, no matter where they line up. Obv it's a much bigger role for strikers and wingers, etc, no question. You can say 'It's not their job' if you want, but on any given Saturday you see CB's score goals. You see FB's score goals. You see Def-Mids score goals. It happens, whether it's 'their job' or not. I'm not going to get in to 'complaining more or less' or the 'weighting of criticism' with you. Bottom line, as a team we're struggling to score, and the main intent was to post stats that show it would help if non-strikers, as a group, scored more goals for us. And I didn't forget CB's, I specifically mentioned CB's from another team.

Sorry, but you're massively overstating the case for defensive midfielders, and fullbacks contributing goals.

Karacan, Leigertwood, Parky scored on average 3 goals a season. Or 1 every 15 ish games. Tabb scored no goals in 97 appearances. Gooding, Cisse and Kelly 4.

Rinomhota has made 11 career starts and you're naming him specifically in criticism of our midfield for not scoring when McCleary, Aluko, Swift, Loader, nor Sims have scored any? Actual attackers, whose role it is to create and score.

Fullbacks also often rarely score unless they're on direct set piece duty. Murty got 2 goals in 307 appearances. Gunter has 2 goals in 252 appearances. Obita scored 3 in 142, less than 1 a season.

Rinomhota is the one big positive coming out of this season. Based on his performance so far, he should be immune from criticism, particularly of things that aren't his responsibility.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 06 Jan 2019 21:11

I said it's a 'small part'. That's 'massively overstating' it? How about an extremely small part? Or a minuscule part'? You want me to say 'absolutely no part whatsoever at all', and I'm not going to say that, because I disagree. If Yiadom takes a shot, what business does he have taking it? It's not his job, right? It plays no role in a FB's game. No role whatsoever. The fact that he's taking that shot, and no doubt trying to get it on target, clearly shows it's a part of his game. Anyway, I'm done, and I'll leave it there.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 06 Jan 2019 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jan 2019 21:13

Denver Royal Saying it's a 'small part' is 'massively overstating' it? How about an extremely small part? Or a minuscule part'? You want me to say 'absolutely no part whatsoever at all', and I'm not going to say that, because I disagree. If Yiadom takes a shot, what business does he have taking it? It's not his job, right? It should play no role in a FB's game. No role whatsoever. Anyway, I'll it there.

With regards to Yiadom you celebrate a player succeeding beyond their role, not expect it as standard.