The midfield

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The midfield

by Denver Royal » 06 Jan 2019 21:20

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal Saying it's a 'small part' is 'massively overstating' it? How about an extremely small part? Or a minuscule part'? You want me to say 'absolutely no part whatsoever at all', and I'm not going to say that, because I disagree. If Yiadom takes a shot, what business does he have taking it? It's not his job, right? It should play no role in a FB's game. No role whatsoever. Anyway, I'll it there.

With regards to Yiadom you celebrate a player succeeding beyond their role, not expect it as standard.

'Expecting it as standard'? I'm not expecting Yiadom to score 20 goals a season. I'm saying the fact that he's taking a shot, and trying to score, shows that it's a part of his game. A small part. I played RB, and practiced shooting in training on occasion. Yiadom prolly has, too.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 06 Jan 2019 21:39, edited 2 times in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jan 2019 21:23

Not so bothered about Rino scoring, but certainly the attacking 3 of the LW, RW and ACM certainly need to find their scoring boots. Barely scored a goal between the this year

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Jan 2019 21:41

Denver Royal I said it's a 'small part'. That's 'massively overstating' it? How about an extremely small part? Or a minuscule part'? You want me to say 'absolutely no part whatsoever at all', and I'm not going to say that, because I disagree. If Yiadom takes a shot, what business does he have taking it? It's not his job, right? It plays no role in a FB's game. No role whatsoever. The fact that he's taking that shot, and no doubt trying to get it on target, clearly shows it's a part of his game. Anyway, I'm done, and I'll leave it there.

You said in not so many words why are people praising Rinomhota when he hasn't scored or got an assist? That's nonsense, his job isn't scoring goals. Great, if he chips in with 2 or 3 a season, but that isn't his primary job

Claude Makelele scored 2 goals in 144 appearances for Chelsea. I guess that makes him a bad player because he didn't score enough goals irrespective of the other jobs he did

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 06 Jan 2019 21:51

URZZZZ
Denver Royal I said it's a 'small part'. That's 'massively overstating' it? How about an extremely small part? Or a minuscule part'? You want me to say 'absolutely no part whatsoever at all', and I'm not going to say that, because I disagree. If Yiadom takes a shot, what business does he have taking it? It's not his job, right? It plays no role in a FB's game. No role whatsoever. The fact that he's taking that shot, and no doubt trying to get it on target, clearly shows it's a part of his game. Anyway, I'm done, and I'll leave it there.

You said in not so many words why are people praising Rinomhota when he hasn't scored or got an assist? That's nonsense, his job isn't scoring goals. Great, if he chips in with 2 or 3 a season, but that isn't his primary job

Claude Makelele scored 2 goals in 144 appearances for Chelsea. I guess that makes him a bad player because he didn't score enough goals irrespective of the other jobs he did

‘In not so many words’, huh? A dead give away that I didn’t actually say it? It would have been nonesence if I had said it, but I didn’t. I said he’d received a lot of praise this season. A lot from me myself, and rightly so. I’ve been very impressed with his play. I know it’s not his ‘primary’ job to score goals. I never said it was. Not him, or any other def-mid.

Anyway, we've moved on to FB’s now, and specifically Yiadom, and how taking a shot and trying to score is absolutely no part of his/their game whatsoever at all. But hey, let’s leave it there.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 06 Jan 2019 23:15, edited 1 time in total.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 06 Jan 2019 22:00

Praise for the midfield is reserved solely for the Gomes games, as is the OP about how we set up.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jan 2019 23:05

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal Saying it's a 'small part' is 'massively overstating' it? How about an extremely small part? Or a minuscule part'? You want me to say 'absolutely no part whatsoever at all', and I'm not going to say that, because I disagree. If Yiadom takes a shot, what business does he have taking it? It's not his job, right? It should play no role in a FB's game. No role whatsoever. Anyway, I'll it there.

With regards to Yiadom you celebrate a player succeeding beyond their role, not expect it as standard.

'Expecting it as standard'? I'm not expecting Yiadom to score 20 goals a season. I'm saying the fact that he's taking a shot, and trying to score, shows that it's a part of his game. A small part. I played RB, and practiced shooting in training on occasion. Yiadom prolly has, too.

I thought you were finished.

Anyway, you argued that fullbacks regularly chip in with goals, and you brought up Yiadom in some utterly bonkers argument. I've certainly made no point about expecting Yiadom to score 20, so that's an daft strawman comment. I expect Rinomhota also practices shooting and will take a shot when in a good position, so bit of a pointless comment there. But being a defensive midfielder he's not in the box much to do so. In fact, as a defensive midfielder it's part of his role to cover a fullback bombing on, which is part of a fullback's role - although more from the perspective of providing than scoring. That's an added benefit to Yiadom, he brings something most fullbacks don't and that goes beyond his role.

One person doing something occasionally that isn't really a part of their responsibility doesn't mean that someone else busy doing their main role so they don't get the opportunity to do the same thing, is valid reason to criticise the second player. Especially excellent young breakthrough players who've established themselves as one of our best players in just 11 games.

It's like you're actively looking for an excuse to criticise Rinomhota for some bizarre reason.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 06 Jan 2019 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jan 2019 23:06

Denver Royal
URZZZZ

I've praised Rino a lot this season. I know its not his 'primary' job. Anyway, we've moved on to Yiadom now, and how taking a shot and trying to score is absolutely no part of his game whatsoever at all.

Why are you being such a precious div?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 06 Jan 2019 23:31

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal
URZZZZ

I've praised Rino a lot this season. I know its not his 'primary' job. Anyway, we've moved on to Yiadom now, and how taking a shot and trying to score is absolutely no part of his game whatsoever at all.

Insults? Small part vs No part. That is all. I’m ‘actively’ looking to criticize Rino? Sauce please. It was but one isolated comment in the middle of a longer post. Aside from that, don’t believe I’ve ever ‘criticized’ him at all. Re. ‘precious’? Not for the first time in here, weren’t you ‘finished’ when Gomes was appointed? Anyway, lets move n.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jan 2019 08:24

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal I've praised Rino a lot this season. I know its not his 'primary' job. Anyway, we've moved on to Yiadom now, and how taking a shot and trying to score is absolutely no part of his game whatsoever at all.

Insults? Small part vs No part. That is all. I’m ‘actively’ looking to criticize Rino? Sauce please. It was but one isolated comment in the middle of a longer post. Aside from that, don’t believe I’ve ever ‘criticized’ him at all. Re. ‘precious’? Not for the first time in here, weren’t you ‘finished’ when Gomes was appointed? Anyway, lets move n.

No, I don't recall ever saying I was finished. You appear to be making things up again.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Jan 2019 10:35

Looks like everyone's NY resolution of being nice, lasted a long time.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Jan 2019 11:40

leon Looks like everyone's NY resolution of being nice, lasted a long time.

That was a succinct, wonderful post, Leon.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Jan 2019 11:47

Snowball

Well it does seem that certain people will argue about absolutely anything.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2019 12:07

leon
Snowball

anyone particularly in mind Leon? :lol:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Jan 2019 12:17

Hound
leon
Snowball

anyone particularly in mind Leon? :lol:

The usual suspects.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Jan 2019 12:49

Looks like my joke was too subtle

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 Jan 2019 12:50

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal I've praised Rino a lot this season. I know its not his 'primary' job. Anyway, we've moved on to Yiadom now, and how taking a shot and trying to score is absolutely no part of his game whatsoever at all.

As you said to me in another post-don't dare say anything derogatory about an Academy product or you will be set upon in a flash. :wink:
It is true that Rino hasn't scored-you didn't criticise him for it and yet.................here come the wolves.

A big bugbear of mine is this idea of a defensive midfielder label.
I feel that all midfielders should be up-and-back players-one goes, another covers etc so all should spend some time breaking into the box and scoring goals now and again.
Sarri at Chelsea seems to think this way with the previously mentioned Kante scoring twice this season already.

It is clearly a problem at Reading that midfielders aren't chipping in with enough goals-hopefully the new manager will rectify that.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Jan 2019 13:04

Snowball Looks like my joke was too subtle

You're always polite so I didn't notice.....

Hopeful

by Hopeful » 07 Jan 2019 14:50

It may be by memory failing, but I am sure Kelly had better games when pushed into a CAM role, so for me, if Gomes likes 4-2-3-1, I would see the options as:

Bacuna --- Rinomhota (with Eza as cover)
Swift (with Aluko and Kelly as cover)

Then Harriott and Barrow either side of Swift (with GMac + 1 ANOther as cover)

Not a fan of Meite, Baldock, Loader or indeed any striker in the 3 behind the main solo striker.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jan 2019 17:58

Hopeful It may be by memory failing, but I am sure Kelly had better games when pushed into a CAM role, so for me, if Gomes likes 4-2-3-1, I would see the options as:

Bacuna --- Rinomhota (with Eza as cover)
Swift (with Aluko and Kelly as cover)

Then Harriott and Barrow either side of Swift (with GMac + 1 ANOther as cover)

Not a fan of Meite, Baldock, Loader or indeed any striker in the 3 behind the main solo striker.

I think it's been distinctly mixed for Kelly in all positions. Not quick enough, bold enough or shooty enough to be AMC at senior level regularly.

Happy to see him give it a go ahead of Rino and Eza, but having Bacuna behind him seems a bit daft. We'd certainly have movement and an out ball more often though given how much effort he makes to show for it.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Jan 2019 18:22

Hopeful It may be by memory failing, but I am sure Kelly had better games when pushed into a CAM role, so for me, if Gomes likes 4-2-3-1, I would see the options as:

Clement identified that Kelly needs to sit deeper with play in front of him. Unfortunately doesn't possess a burst of pace to get past players, nor is an incisive passer of the ball. Takes too many touches. Shame that George Evans left in the summer not doubt as Meyler was brought in. Would be the perfect player to play the deeper role in a passing style. Constantly changing managers has done us no favours.