Clear out started

211 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Clear out started

by Victor Meldrew » 11 Jan 2019 19:53

Just on these ins and outs I wonder how much impact Gomes has had on the decision making.
Has he seen much of our two loan signings?
Can he possibly tell from just a few training sessions whether people like Meyler, McNulty, Mannone etc are any good?

He is surely being advised by somebody and that somebody has obviously not told him that Gunter is no good and it seems as though expensive injury-prone O'Shea is also favoured by the mystery adviser..

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Jan 2019 20:04

Victor Meldrew Just on these ins and outs I wonder how much impact Gomes has had on the decision making.
Can he possibly tell from just a few training sessions whether people like Meyler, McNulty, Mannone etc are any good?

He is surely being advised by somebody and that somebody has obviously not told him that Gunter is no good and it seems as though expensive injury-prone O'Shea is also favoured by the mystery adviser..

Well, as regards Gunter, the mystery adviser clearly joins numerous other club and international managers in his assessment.

As for the other bits are you Dellor in disguise?

Who would have thought these foreign outsiders have access to countless match videos from which to observe and learn!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2019 20:14

Did wonder myself who was helping out behind the scenes

Obvs a chance BT is still involved (anyone seen his most recent twitter profile - him and his missus surrounded by smoke? Wow...)

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 11 Jan 2019 20:58

Snowflake Royal
Lower West
Snowflake Royal I think we've got to assume anyone who started against Utd isn't going anywhere.

Who else would have risked in a game that we were unlikely to get a result?

Gomes still needs to see what some players offer.

Seems to have decided that Aluko isn't a winger. (Though having had time to watch videos of old games he does the benefit of hindsight).

Yet to see his preferred playing formation.

Here's my thinking.

You're not going to experiment to see how players can do in Readings most attractive fixture of the season, when the standard of play and opposition will be totally different to what you can expect in the league, especially as players will raise their game. Not to mention the fact that a good performance could make a solid difference for you.

It tells you nothing of value.

Secondly, the consensus is that the players involved (for the most part) did well.

I also expect we've seen exactly which formation Gomes intends to play. He's had four games when time is very pressured. Unless he thinks he can have a month long preseason during the campaign (and nothing suggests he's stupid or incompetent) he's got to be trying to implement his approach asap.

Given the two suspensions and injuries. Along with the players already identified for release. I'm struggling to think what changes could have been made to the starting 11.

Easy for players to turn up at Old Trafford in front of 70,000 and perform. Until some players consistantly perform week in week out. I for one will remain unconvinced. Seen too many below par performances in the past 15 months. Team still requires leadership and a spine.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2019 08:50

Lower West
Snowflake Royal
Lower West
Who else would have risked in a game that we were unlikely to get a result?

Gomes still needs to see what some players offer.

Seems to have decided that Aluko isn't a winger. (Though having had time to watch videos of old games he does the benefit of hindsight).

Yet to see his preferred playing formation.

Here's my thinking.

You're not going to experiment to see how players can do in Readings most attractive fixture of the season, when the standard of play and opposition will be totally different to what you can expect in the league, especially as players will raise their game. Not to mention the fact that a good performance could make a solid difference for you.

It tells you nothing of value.

Secondly, the consensus is that the players involved (for the most part) did well.

I also expect we've seen exactly which formation Gomes intends to play. He's had four games when time is very pressured. Unless he thinks he can have a month long preseason during the campaign (and nothing suggests he's stupid or incompetent) he's got to be trying to implement his approach asap.

Given the two suspensions and injuries. Along with the players already identified for release. I'm struggling to think what changes could have been made to the starting 11.

Easy for players to turn up at Old Trafford in front of 70,000 and perform. Until some players consistantly perform week in week out. I for one will remain unconvinced. Seen too many below par performances in the past 15 months. Team still requires leadership and a spine.

I haven't said different. All I said is that those who started can be assumed to be not proactively moved on.

There were alternatives available for almost everyone on the bench, in the wider squad or U23s. Gomes didn't have no choice in picking that XI

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 12 Jan 2019 11:48

RoyalBlue
Victor Meldrew Just on these ins and outs I wonder how much impact Gomes has had on the decision making.

Well, as regards Gunter, the mystery adviser clearly joins numerous other club and international managers in his assessment.

As for the other bits are you Dellor in disguise?

Who would have thought these foreign outsiders have access to countless match videos from which to observe and learn!

Yes of course, whilst still managing a side in Portugal just a couple of weeks ago he and his staff will have spent countless hours looking at historic Reading games featuring McShane & co just on the off chance that Reading might sack Clement and come in for him.
Come off it.
He has been with us for days, including preparing for and watching our matches-what do you think he is, superman and the bloke never sleeps?
No, decsions had already been made about who should go and who they might get in by other people.
Gomes on the other hand will have ben working at trying to sort out players for upcoming matches who would fit in with the way he wanted them to play.

If on the other hand we had appointed a British manager with Championship experience I would suggest that man would have been aware of Baker and Ejaria having tracked their progress at youth and Reserve levels for their respective clubs.

I think you have been rather naive in your thinking and let's hope that whoever is doing the deals will bring in a few more yet.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2019 12:32

Gomes said in one interview after a game that he'd be going home and watching two matches in prep for the next challenge.

It's not hard to believe that during the three / four weeks between sacking Clement and appointing him where there was clearly some protracted negotiations he had time to watch four or five games. That'd take less than a week just at 90 mins a day.

Plus he's now been here a couple of weeks.

If he's minded to have done it he could have watched half our games this season with little effort.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Jan 2019 12:58

Snowflake Royal
If he's minded to have done it he could have watched half our games this season with little effort.

Why would he watch them in the same manner the team had played them ?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2019 13:04

Nameless
Snowflake Royal

Boom tish.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 13 Jan 2019 00:13

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal

Boom tish.

I agree

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Jan 2019 00:19

Nameless
Snowflake Royal

:lol:

211 posts