Clear out started

211 posts
3points
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Clear out started

by 3points » 09 Jan 2019 13:49

Old Man Andrews
3points I'm sure someone psoted elsewhere (Twitter perhaps) that Mannone is on 48 appearances and the reason he's been exiled is to ensure we don;t trigger an appearance based fee. It sounds both plausible and logical and therefore, perhaps Mannone hasn't been Mr Sulky or Mr Shouty affecting the rest of the squad, and that's why he feels particularly hard done by.

Anyway, no problem from me as I've never rated him as a keeper (remember seeing him play for Hull at the Mad Stad years ago when he was on loan from Arsenal and thought how poor he looked back then) and as others as pointed out, it's not that he he's been terrible, but he just hasn't been very good either

Everything you said is more than likely true and I agree he should be sold but things like having to train away from the rest of the team and eat seperately is a bit much for me, especially if he is behaving.

yes, agreed. Does seem a bit harsh when it really isn't likely to be his fault. Wonder if he genuinely was injured earlier in the season which led to Walker coming into the team

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 09 Jan 2019 13:51

leon
Old Man Andrews
3points I'm sure someone psoted elsewhere (Twitter perhaps) that Mannone is on 48 appearances and the reason he's been exiled is to ensure we don;t trigger an appearance based fee. It sounds both plausible and logical and therefore, perhaps Mannone hasn't been Mr Sulky or Mr Shouty affecting the rest of the squad, and that's why he feels particularly hard done by.

Anyway, no problem from me as I've never rated him as a keeper (remember seeing him play for Hull at the Mad Stad years ago when he was on loan from Arsenal and thought how poor he looked back then) and as others as pointed out, it's not that he he's been terrible, but he just hasn't been very good either

Everything you said is more than likely true and I agree he should be sold but things like having to train away from the rest of the team and eat seperately is a bit much for me, especially if he is behaving.

It sounds a bit like bullying if you ask me but it’s football - this sort of thing is allowed to happen.

Happens in a lot of work places though. if someone isn't up to the job they tend to get isolated. Not being included on good projects, given mundane tasks to do, etc in the hope they'll get fed up and leave, as opposed to having to be made redundant or paid off.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 Jan 2019 14:58

Some of the responses don't surprise me at all. Frankly disgustingly embarrassing.

All the best Mannone, I hope you do well wherever you go and sorry things have turned out the way they have.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jan 2019 15:12

Are you suggesting we just keep paying him a big wedge and keep him hanging round the squad when he isn't going to play because he is a nice bloke, and his mum died last year?

Meyler is a good guy from the sound of things. Also almost retired for personal reasons last year, when his wife kept miscarrying. Should we treat him the same way. McShane does lots of good stuff in local schools and hospitals - likewise?

Its a little harsh, but no more than that. They are still very well looked after and will no doubt be assisted in trying to find themselves a new gig

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Jan 2019 15:15

TB2 did it with a set of players when he arrived, remember Lambert, Legg, Bowen etc? That all worked out well for the club that season...

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 09 Jan 2019 15:15

Since 1964
Maneki Neko
Ranty McRantface

Whilst I am disappointed they went for the cheap option, I was baffled why we were going for a player who was in the same form as Samuel at the time. He was on a hot streak and doing well for the Gills at the same standard as Washington. Hindsight shows that neither have worked out well, so whether it was shocking decision by the owners I strongly doubt it would have made any difference.

As for the lack of respect..I heard a similar thing about his time at Leeds as well. We all love McDermott and what he did but let's be honest. He did wonders with his mates, who knew and respected him. When they go or play at the highest level you need a lot more than a bloody arm around you from your pal to succeed and Tabb diagrams of how to be the perfect gentleman.

He's a top bloke but I don't think he's cut out to manage at this level in the modern game.

just think that's horseshit.

Brian was sacked before he could shape a Brian team, Staam was allowed to sign eleven players, if Brian had been allowed to sign eleven players, no way would we be in this mess.

agreed.
he even signed the player who made the most impact on that first stam season tbf, in kermorgant
the last of the money ball signings
Last edited by Maneki Neko on 09 Jan 2019 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Jan 2019 15:22

3points
leon
Old Man Andrews

It sounds a bit like bullying if you ask me but it’s football - this sort of thing is allowed to happen.

Happens in a lot of work places though. if someone isn't up to the job they tend to get isolated. Not being included on good projects, given mundane tasks to do, etc in the hope they'll get fed up and leave, as opposed to having to be made redundant or paid off.

And is constructive dismissal.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 09 Jan 2019 16:10

Sutekh TB2 did it with a set of players when he arrived, remember Lambert, Legg, Bowen etc? That all worked out well for the club that season...

Yep, and as a club I'm unaware that we're somehow unique in doing this(?)...
Last edited by Denver Royal on 09 Jan 2019 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 09 Jan 2019 16:10

leon
3points
leon

It's no different to being placed on gardening leave instead of working 90 days before redundancy.
Plus having been transfer listed by the club he will have the remainder of his contract paid up when he finds himself another club, plus get a signing on fee from his next club, If we get a fee for him (unlikely) he will no doubt get a percentage of that.
My heart bleeds for the poor lamb.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Jan 2019 16:26

leon
3points
leon

Is it ?
Does the fact that players are contractors rather than employees make a difference ?
Presumably as long as we honour the terms of their contracts for the duration of those contracts and are also reasonable in terms of helping find new clubs then we aren’t dismissing them, it’s more like making them redundant !

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Jan 2019 16:48

Nameless
leon
3points Happens in a lot of work places though. if someone isn't up to the job they tend to get isolated. Not being included on good projects, given mundane tasks to do, etc in the hope they'll get fed up and leave, as opposed to having to be made redundant or paid off.

Is it ?
Does the fact that players are contractors rather than employees make a difference ?
Presumably as long as we honour the terms of their contracts for the duration of those contracts and are also reasonable in terms of helping find new clubs then we aren’t dismissing them, it’s more like making them redundant !

I was talking about 3points view on other jobs.

Regardng Mannone with fixed term contracts it's going to be different however his treatment if true, is rather harsh and I suspect won't breed a sense of loyalty in the other players.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 09 Jan 2019 16:52

leon
Nameless
leon

Is it ?

I was talking about 3points view on other jobs.

however his treatment if true, is rather harsh and I suspect won't breed a sense of loyalty in the other players.

Might not breed a sense of loyalty (do footballers have any) but it puts down a marker to the rest of the players, either shape up or ship out.
Jose's not a bloke to piss about with by the look of things.
RFC have been too soft for years both on and off the pitch

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 09 Jan 2019 17:13

72 bus
leon
3points Happens in a lot of work places though. if someone isn't up to the job they tend to get isolated. Not being included on good projects, given mundane tasks to do, etc in the hope they'll get fed up and leave, as opposed to having to be made redundant or paid off.

It's no different to being placed on gardening leave instead of working 90 days before redundancy.
Plus having been transfer listed by the club he will have the remainder of his contract paid up when he finds himself another club, plus get a signing on fee from his next club, If we get a fee for him (unlikely) he will no doubt get a percentage of that.
My heart bleeds for the poor lamb.

How does this work? If Player A has 3 years left on their contract, do they get the whole 3 years money - and then get paid again when they start at another club? So they are getting paid twice?

If this is true, how on earth does it work when a relegated club transfer-lists half their squad?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 Jan 2019 17:49

3points I'm sure someone psoted elsewhere (Twitter perhaps) that Mannone is on 48 appearances and the reason he's been exiled is to ensure we don;t trigger an appearance based fee.
Sounds like a return to the old Reading ways, We did the same to John Salako when Howe was in charge.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Jan 2019 17:55

Forbury Lion
3points I'm sure someone psoted elsewhere (Twitter perhaps) that Mannone is on 48 appearances and the reason he's been exiled is to ensure we don;t trigger an appearance based fee.
Sounds like a return to the old Reading ways, We did the same to John Salako when Howe was in charge.

And Shaun Goater (I think)

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Jan 2019 18:00

Is all this Mannone chat based off the screenshot of that message he'd sent?

Wasn't that just said to be a fake?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 09 Jan 2019 18:30

Forbury Lion

'We want our Reading back!'. Oh, wait...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Jan 2019 00:35

Hoop Blah Is all this Mannone chat based off the screenshot of that message he'd sent?

Nah it's real, it was an Instagram message but because the whistleblower posted the screenshot on Twitter a few people thought that a Twitter message had been faked.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 10 Jan 2019 18:19

Hoop Blah Is all this Mannone chat based off the screenshot of that message he'd sent?

What did the screenshot say?

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 10 Jan 2019 18:40

Speaking of social media statements and the hokey cokey of the 'transfer list 5', here is our glorious leader's Twitter post on the rumour https://twitter.com/pmacca15

If he is OUT (of the 5), who does that leave as IN?

211 posts