Clear out started

211 posts
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Clear out started

by John Smith » 07 Jan 2019 16:03

Hound Huge credit to Gomes for being very decisive in making those decisions asap. Could easily have let the experienced pros like McShane just hang around

Yes indeed, viva Jose Gomes.

Out of interest, do you think Clement would have done anything differently?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2019 16:04

John Smith
Hound Huge credit to Gomes for being very decisive in making those decisions asap. Could easily have let the experienced pros like McShane just hang around

Good question. He hinted at wanting to rid the squad of much the same group of players.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Jan 2019 16:09

Now how do we get around the 5 year deal that Meite was given by Gormless?

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 07 Jan 2019 16:16

Play him???

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Jan 2019 16:27

genome
Hound
URZZZZ What an absolute waste of time the summer was

Walker - never plays
Yiadom - done quite well tbf but we were after him for a long time
O'Shea - OK as a backup but we needed to sign someone younger and better considering we already had the "old pro" in McShane
Meyler - never plays
Eza - permanently injured
McNulty - never plays
Sims - sent back
Baldock - underwhelming, doesn't feature anymore

So out of 8 signings, one has been a success, two have been meh, one has been injured the entire time and the other four have barely had a kick

Good to see Gomes having a go at restructuring the squad but I thought the whole idea of the summer was to restructure?

Yep, in retrospect the last summer window was appalling. The one before that not much better, though arguably Barrow and Bacuna were decent enough signings at the price

Of our 17 signings since the play-off final, I'd count only 4 as a success. Bodvarsson, Barrow, Bacuna and Yiadom.

I'd say our recruitment has been a huge contributor to our downfall since Wembley.

It's almost like those of us who bemoaned such signings at the time were justified, though you'd never have guessed it... :roll:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Jan 2019 16:28

John Smith

Yes. He would have sold Yiadom and given Gunter a 10 year contract.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 07 Jan 2019 16:31

CountryRoyal
John Smith

would this be a different Clement to the one who signed Yiadom and played him ahead of Gunter?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Jan 2019 16:33

muirinho
CountryRoyal
John Smith Yes indeed, viva Jose Gomes.

would this be a different Clement to the one who signed Yiadom and played him ahead of Gunter?

Yep. The same one who put Gunter back in at the earliest available opportunity.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Jan 2019 16:34

CountryRoyal
genome
Hound
Yep, in retrospect the last summer window was appalling. The one before that not much better, though arguably Barrow and Bacuna were decent enough signings at the price

Of our 17 signings since the play-off final, I'd count only 4 as a success. Bodvarsson, Barrow, Bacuna and Yiadom.

I'd say our recruitment has been a huge contributor to our downfall since Wembley.

It's almost like those of us who bemoaned such signings at the time were justified, though you'd never have guessed it... :roll:

In retrospect yeah, but you have to give the players a chance first. I'm not a big fan of writing off signings before they've kicked a ball.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 07 Jan 2019 16:37

CountryRoyal
muirinho
CountryRoyal

Yep. The same one who put Gunter back in at the earliest available opportunity.

ahead of Richards, who we all know is defensively suspect, and Blackett who is erratic. Yiadom. OTOH, has played more than anybody else.

Of all the things Clement could be accused of, being anti Yiadom isn't one of them.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Jan 2019 16:43

windermereROYAL Now how do we get around the 5 year deal that Meite was given by Gormless?

Wasn't looking so stupid when he scored a few in a row earlier on in the season.

It looks as though the guy has talent, just needs to be coached well and it will come.

Before anyone says he doesn't have a first touch, neither did Long when he started.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 07 Jan 2019 16:48

Hendo
windermereROYAL Now how do we get around the 5 year deal that Meite was given by Gormless?

Wasn't looking so stupid when he scored a few in a row earlier on in the season.

It looks as though the guy has talent, just needs to be coached well and it will come.

Before anyone says he doesn't have a first touch, neither did Long when he started.

I'm not convinced he's fully fit either but with Bod out and Baldock (assume) he's been played probably more than he should have.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2019 16:48

was 4 years anyway wasn't it?

No real problem with it. We didn't buy him for big money, and doubt he is being paid that highly either. Not an Aluko situation.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Jan 2019 16:56

URZZZZ Good to see Gomes having a go at restructuring the squad but I thought the whole idea of the summer was to restructure?
I think it's fair to say the restructuring last Summer wasn't a success, so no point waiting until next Summer to try and address that.

My concern is that we have to sell/get rid of players before we can sign new & presumably better players, Hopefully the budget is there to sign the players we need.

Regarding transfer listed players, From reading the Secret Footballer I learn't that a player transfer listed gets his contract payed up by the club when they leave, So they'll all be quids in and eager, I presume to get a deal elsewhere and a nice signing on fee no doubt. I wonder how much we would accept for these players? - Maybe enough to cover paying up their contract or maybe they'll look to recoup something on one or two of them?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 Jan 2019 17:04

strap Apologies if already a thread but couldn't find it.

Sims loan deal cancelled and now back at Southampton.
Edwards contract cancelled by mutual consent and now on his way to Shrewsbury on a free, (so his £1,000,000 transfer fee we paid worked out at £336/minute on the pitch ignoring salary, c/w Pelle Clement's £341!).
McShane, Meyler, McNulty and Mannone officially on transfer list.

Ejaria having a medical prior to a loan deal.

I just realised that we have so many players with a surname beginning with "M".

Thought it was a cull of players with surnames beginning with "M" and then realised that we also have Moore, Meite, McIntyre and McCleary.

If only the clear out included all of those starting with the letter "G". :wink:
Yet another manager (all the others have been sacked) is conned into thinking he is any good-what hold has that player got over somebody at the club?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 Jan 2019 17:09

Victor Meldrew

Edwards contract cancelled by mutual consent and now on his way to Shrewsbury on a free, (so his £1,000,000 transfer fee we paid worked out at £336/minute on the pitch ignoring salary, c/w Pelle Clement's £341!).

Thought it was a cull of players with surnames beginning with "M" and then realised that we also have Moore, Meite, McIntyre and McCleary.

If only the clear out included all of those starting with the letter "G". :wink:
Yet another manager (all the others have been sacked) is conned into thinking he is any good-what hold has that player got over somebody at the club?

:wink: Vic, just wondering, do you know when his contract is up?

zaskar

by zaskar » 07 Jan 2019 17:14

Denver Royal
Victor Meldrew

:wink: Vic, just wondering, do you know when his contract is up?

Summer 2020 :(
https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2017/j ... year-deal/

Hopeful

by Hopeful » 07 Jan 2019 17:26

Victor Meldrew I just realised that we have so many players with a surname beginning with "M".

We have been blessed with M players over the years.
Here's a possible starting 11:
McCarthy
Murty Mariappa McPherson Mackie
Meaker Matejovsky McAnuff
Manset Morley McIntyre

(sorry, bored at work)

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Jan 2019 17:38

No surprises so far.

Suspect some of the other players that haven't performed to their potential/nearing their sell by date that are going to be harder to shift. Though Gomes needs to see which of them will raise their game once there's new blood in the squad.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 07 Jan 2019 17:40

Lower West No surprises so far.

Suspect some of the other players that haven't performed to their potential/nearing their sell by date that are going to be harder to shift. Though Gomes needs to see which of them will raise their game once there's new blood in the squad.

Yes wouldn't be surprised, regardless of where we finish, if there's another clear out in the summer. Both voluntary and "pushed".

211 posts