211 posts
Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Clear out started

by Maneki Neko » 09 Jan 2019 09:52

Ranty McRantface
Schmeichel the dog
Wimb
McDermott wanted Conor Washington that window, did the ground work and then the owners pulled the plug to go for the cheap option in Rakels.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-fc-transfers-mcdermott-talks-10760832

Whether Washington's career would have panned out better who knows? His only other signings were Kermorgant and Evans, neither of which turned out bad.

Tiger said in a meeting with the fans in the summer of 2016 that a lot of the players 'didn't respect' McDermott and that was one reason they decided to make a change.

Says it all about the quality of characters in the dressing room at the time tbf :roll:

Simply shocking if true. Would never be in this absolute mess if we had kept faith with McD during and after the last prem campaign. I am even beginning to warm to Adkins given what he achieved with such a limited budget and interference from higher up. It was when Clarke arrived that the wheels began to come off, including so many behind the scenes changes. We have struggled as a team and a club ever since. And yes, I am ignoring the Stam year when we got to the PO final which was depressingly boring and completely turgid throughout even when we were winning.......

Whilst I am disappointed they went for the cheap option, I was baffled why we were going for a player who was in the same form as Samuel at the time. He was on a hot streak and doing well for the Gills at the same standard as Washington. Hindsight shows that neither have worked out well, so whether it was shocking decision by the owners I strongly doubt it would have made any difference.

As for the lack of respect..I heard a similar thing about his time at Leeds as well. We all love McDermott and what he did but let's be honest. He did wonders with his mates, who knew and respected him. When they go or play at the highest level you need a lot more than a bloody arm around you from your pal to succeed and Tabb diagrams of how to be the perfect gentleman.

He's a top bloke but I don't think he's cut out to manage at this level in the modern game.

just think that's horseshit.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 Jan 2019 10:29

I'm really disappointed about how Mannone has been treated.

Whilst technically correct we can do what we like with our players and it's a good idea to separate first teamers from moaners, get them off the wage bill etc, poor old Mannone has had a tough time. He's not only lost his mum. he had already lost his dad as a kid I believe so it was a formidable blow to him and he never recovered: a kid with both folks dead, stuck in a cold foreign country. Not nice.

I'd have hoped Gomes/ others would have had a nice rank friendly chat with him so he wouldn't have felt so aggrieved by being placed there. Whilst Gomes is a nice chap, I suspect as he wasn't around during that traumatic period he probably wasn't fully aware, so it all ended up as a bit of a balls up on the part of RFC in general.

My heart goes out to the lad.

Everyone else can just man up.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 09 Jan 2019 11:33

no room for sentiment or soft heartedness.

BarryWhiteRFC

by BarryWhiteRFC » 09 Jan 2019 11:44

2 world wars, 1 world cup I'm really disappointed about how Mannone has been treated.

Whilst technically correct we can do what we like with our players and it's a good idea to separate first teamers from moaners, get them off the wage bill etc, poor old Mannone has had a tough time. He's not only lost his mum. he had already lost his dad as a kid I believe so it was a formidable blow to him and he never recovered: a kid with both folks dead, stuck in a cold foreign country. Not nice.

I'd have hoped Gomes/ others would have had a nice rank friendly chat with him so he wouldn't have felt so aggrieved by being placed there. Whilst Gomes is a nice chap, I suspect as he wasn't around during that traumatic period he probably wasn't fully aware, so it all ended up as a bit of a balls up on the part of RFC in general.

I understand your point. And it is great when you can be nice about things. I'm hoping this sends a message, or Gomes is very open about it. Saying that if players do not perform, he will happily do this to any of them. If they don't play for him and the club, they will be left out in the cold. Might give them all the big kick they need to get some performances, goals and more importantly victories.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 Jan 2019 12:02

2 world wars, 1 world cup I'm really disappointed about how Mannone has been treated.

I have sympathy for anyone in those circumstances but he's been playing in England since 2006 so probably has made some friends here, maybe family too and should feel settled as he has gone from club to club rather than move back to Italy at any stage.

From a footballing point of view, it is only right to acknowledge that off the field life changing events like this may affect form temporarily & that should be factored into any longer term decisions.

Since 1964

by Since 1964 » 09 Jan 2019 12:22

Maneki Neko
Ranty McRantface
Schmeichel the dog
Simply shocking if true. Would never be in this absolute mess if we had kept faith with McD during and after the last prem campaign. I am even beginning to warm to Adkins given what he achieved with such a limited budget and interference from higher up. It was when Clarke arrived that the wheels began to come off, including so many behind the scenes changes. We have struggled as a team and a club ever since. And yes, I am ignoring the Stam year when we got to the PO final which was depressingly boring and completely turgid throughout even when we were winning.......

Whilst I am disappointed they went for the cheap option, I was baffled why we were going for a player who was in the same form as Samuel at the time. He was on a hot streak and doing well for the Gills at the same standard as Washington. Hindsight shows that neither have worked out well, so whether it was shocking decision by the owners I strongly doubt it would have made any difference.

As for the lack of respect..I heard a similar thing about his time at Leeds as well. We all love McDermott and what he did but let's be honest. He did wonders with his mates, who knew and respected him. When they go or play at the highest level you need a lot more than a bloody arm around you from your pal to succeed and Tabb diagrams of how to be the perfect gentleman.

He's a top bloke but I don't think he's cut out to manage at this level in the modern game.

just think that's horseshit.

Brian was sacked before he could shape a Brian team, Staam was allowed to sign eleven players, if Brian had been allowed to sign eleven players, no way would we be in this mess.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Jan 2019 12:26

Paul McShane is NOT one of the players transfer listed and told they can leave.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/spor ... ose-gomes/

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 09 Jan 2019 12:41

Sutekh Paul McShane is NOT one of the players transfer listed and told they can leave.

Ooh. So who's the 5th of the outcasts? I'm guessing Baldock

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 09 Jan 2019 12:43

10539.4 Miles Away
Sutekh Paul McShane is NOT one of the players transfer listed and told they can leave.

Or maybe it was Pelle Clement, to encourage him to take the transfer offer, rather than hanging around waiting for something better?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Jan 2019 12:52

10539.4 Miles Away

Anthony Smith tweeted yesterday that Baldock wasn't one of the five, he's just currently out of favour. How much you trust him is up to you though I guess

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jan 2019 13:07

being as the chronicle came up with the 5 in the first place, sensing they maybe haven't got a clue

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Jan 2019 13:11

This is crap even for the Chronicle. You can't just go around throwing names around surely? That will do even more damage to their reputation.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 09 Jan 2019 13:25

He's 31 and a multi millionaire for fukks sake, he can afford to walk away from any work situation he's not happy with, unlike most of us.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Jan 2019 13:32

"Stuck in a cold foreign country"?

He moved here when he was 17 and has been here ever since :/

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Jan 2019 13:35

genome "Stuck in a cold foreign country"?

Has it got warmer since then?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jan 2019 13:39

leon
genome "Stuck in a cold foreign country"?

Has it got warmer since then?

yep, it most definitely has :)

Italy can get bloody cold as well mind you

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Jan 2019 13:42

Whilst this statement is the most melodramatic thing I think I have ever read I agree there are certain players that don't deserve shoddy treatment and Mannone is one of them. Sure if a player has caused massive unrest and disruption then treat them like dirt, they deserve it. From what I have seen and heard of Mannone he is the opposite of that so while yes we want him off the books he deserves a little respect at the same time for that penalty save against QPR last season alone, could be in League 1 right now without it.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 09 Jan 2019 13:44

I'm sure someone psoted elsewhere (Twitter perhaps) that Mannone is on 48 appearances and the reason he's been exiled is to ensure we don;t trigger an appearance based fee. It sounds both plausible and logical and therefore, perhaps Mannone hasn't been Mr Sulky or Mr Shouty affecting the rest of the squad, and that's why he feels particularly hard done by.

Anyway, no problem from me as I've never rated him as a keeper (remember seeing him play for Hull at the Mad Stad years ago when he was on loan from Arsenal and thought how poor he looked back then) and as others as pointed out, it's not that he he's been terrible, but he just hasn't been very good either

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Jan 2019 13:46

3points I'm sure someone psoted elsewhere (Twitter perhaps) that Mannone is on 48 appearances and the reason he's been exiled is to ensure we don;t trigger an appearance based fee. It sounds both plausible and logical and therefore, perhaps Mannone hasn't been Mr Sulky or Mr Shouty affecting the rest of the squad, and that's why he feels particularly hard done by.

Anyway, no problem from me as I've never rated him as a keeper (remember seeing him play for Hull at the Mad Stad years ago when he was on loan from Arsenal and thought how poor he looked back then) and as others as pointed out, it's not that he he's been terrible, but he just hasn't been very good either

Everything you said is more than likely true and I agree he should be sold but things like having to train away from the rest of the team and eat seperately is a bit much for me, especially if he is behaving.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Jan 2019 13:48

Old Man Andrews
3points I'm sure someone psoted elsewhere (Twitter perhaps) that Mannone is on 48 appearances and the reason he's been exiled is to ensure we don;t trigger an appearance based fee. It sounds both plausible and logical and therefore, perhaps Mannone hasn't been Mr Sulky or Mr Shouty affecting the rest of the squad, and that's why he feels particularly hard done by.

Everything you said is more than likely true and I agree he should be sold but things like having to train away from the rest of the team and eat seperately is a bit much for me, especially if he is behaving.

It sounds a bit like bullying if you ask me but it’s football - this sort of thing is allowed to happen.

211 posts