Clear out started

211 posts
strap
Hob Nob Regular

Clear out started

by strap » 07 Jan 2019 14:20

Apologies if already a thread but couldn't find it.

Sims loan deal cancelled and now back at Southampton.
Edwards contract cancelled by mutual consent and now on his way to Shrewsbury on a free, (so his £1,000,000 transfer fee we paid worked out at £336/minute on the pitch ignoring salary, c/w Pelle Clement's £341!).
McShane, Meyler, McNulty and Mannone officially on transfer list.

Ejaria having a medical prior to a loan deal.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Clear out started

by genome » 07 Jan 2019 14:27

So that's Edwards, Sims, Clement, Andresson, Popa, House, Sidoel, and Southwood gone and it's only 7th January.

Blimey.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jan 2019 14:28

What an absolute waste of time the summer was

Walker - never plays
Yiadom - done quite well tbf but we were after him for a long time
O'Shea - OK as a backup but we needed to sign someone younger and better considering we already had the "old pro" in McShane
Meyler - never plays
Eza - permanently injured
McNulty - never plays
Sims - sent back
Baldock - underwhelming, doesn't feature anymore

So out of 8 signings, one has been a success, two have been meh, one has been injured the entire time and the other four have barely had a kick

Good to see Gomes having a go at restructuring the squad but I thought the whole idea of the summer was to restructure?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Jan 2019 14:29

There is a thread in the rumours forum

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=185526&start=60

But this is confirmed stuff so should be in this forum now.

As his name is missing from the Chronicle article I presume therefore that Balcock is injured/ill again.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/spor ... ve-royals/

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2019 14:31

URZZZZ What an absolute waste of time the summer was

Walker - never plays
O'Shea - OK as a backup but we needed to sign someone younger and better considering we already had the "old pro" in McShane
Meyler - never plays
McNulty - never plays
Sims - sent back

So out of 8 signings, one has been a success, two have been meh, one has been injured the entire time and the other four have barely had a kick

Good to see Gomes having a go at restructuring the squad but I thought the whole idea of the summer was to restructure?

Yep, in retrospect the last summer window was appalling. The one before that not much better, though arguably Barrow and Bacuna were decent enough signings at the price

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jan 2019 14:32

Need to remove House and Southwood from the list, surely these are just the usual youngsters going on loan to get game time that happens every window rather than part of the much needed squad pruning ?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2019 14:34

Huge credit to Gomes for being very decisive in making those decisions asap. Could easily have let the experienced pros like McShane just hang around

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Jan 2019 14:34

Hound

Walker - never plays
Meyler - never plays
McNulty - never plays
Sims - sent back

Yep, in retrospect the last summer window was appalling. The one before that not much better, though arguably Barrow and Bacuna were decent enough signings at the price

Of our 17 signings since the play-off final, I'd count only 4 as a success. Bodvarsson, Barrow, Bacuna and Yiadom.

I'd say our recruitment has been a huge contributor to our downfall since Wembley.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jan 2019 14:35

Hound

Walker - never plays
Meyler - never plays
McNulty - never plays
Sims - sent back

Never really know how much we signed anyone for in that second season under Stam, everyone was saying different figures for each player we signed. I'd say Bodvarsson has done quite well since joining, but then again I don't know how much we actually got him for

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2019 14:36

yep true, forgot Bod. Useful signing, just annoyingly injured half the time

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2019 14:37

genome
Hound

Walker - never plays
Meyler - never plays
McNulty - never plays
Sims - sent back

Of our 17 signings since the play-off final, I'd count only 4 as a success. Bodvarsson, Barrow, Bacuna and Yiadom.

I'd say our recruitment has been a huge contributor to our downfall since Wembley.

Walker is ok as back up imo on a free. Eza looked decent but obvs got a bad injury - still time for that one.

Otherwise, yes the recruitment has been pretty bloody awful

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jan 2019 14:38

genome
Hound

Walker - never plays
Meyler - never plays
McNulty - never plays
Sims - sent back

TBH Stam's signings even in his first season weren't amazing. He made about 15 signings in his first season and only Moore has been a real success. There were a few OK signings, Joey, Beerens, Grabban, Blackett etc but they were all heavily criticized at some point during their time here

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 07 Jan 2019 14:40

The second factor here is that, post-2013 relegation, we've had six managers (Adkins, Clarke, McDermott, Stam, Clement, and now Gomes) in 6 seasons. Each of these has brought in their own identity and their own players. For all that Gomes is doing this quickly and remarkably efficiently, its still starting all over. Again.

tldr - when lions take over a new pride, they kill the cubs.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2019 14:41

Swift was a decent signing - even just for that first 4 months or so - got us going that year. He is a good player imo, and probably worth a few quid.
Joey was ok on a free and did a job in year 1. Know you dislike Ilori, but he has done ok for us imo - prob not lost a load of value. Beerens was actually a cracking signing, but was an obvious fall guy when Stam's tactics got found out

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Jan 2019 14:47

genome So that's Edwards, Sims, Clement, Andresson, Popa, House, Sidoel, and Southwood gone and it's only 7th January.

Blimey.

Where has Southwood gone?

Sidoel snd House are youngsters and going out to get first team experience so that’s good for the club longer term.

Edwards never performed to his potential/fans expectation but how much of that was down to him and how much down to not being properly used we’ll never really know.

McNulty. Never given a chance. Shambles of a purchase by a manager who never used him so I totally fail to understand his arrival in 5he first place. No doubt will go back to Coventry for a fraction of what Reading paid and probably haunt the club next season.

Sims. Don’t Soton fans really rate him? Don’t know why on what i’ve seen overall. But then it can’t be easy not playing then playing then not involved then get a couple of sub apps and then disappear again in a team that is so awful so I’m not surprised he struggled.

Meyler. Lovely bloke but it just hasn’t worked and I don’t think we’ll ever know why.

Mannone. Three keepers all at a similar level. Just can’t maintain that so one has to go and it makes sense for Mannone who I believe wants to go back to Italy anyway. Should never have been in the position of having 3 keepers at that level but then if anyone understands what PC was trying to do in his transfer decisions then they should be working at CERN or somewhere.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 07 Jan 2019 14:55

Sims was, as far as I could see, physically very useful but not the best footballer. If he came out of our academy, we'd probably love him for coming on around the 60th minute and absolutely rinsing the opposition wing backs. As he was (a) on loan and (b) not Gomes', I can see why he's been binned.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jan 2019 14:58

Re the keepers you have to assume that they thought Mannone was going to go back to Italy in the summer so took Walker to fill the gap and then a Mannone didn’t go.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Jan 2019 15:00

Walker - never plays
Meyler - never plays
McNulty - never plays
Sims - sent back

what a oxf*rd mess.

really impressed though, by the speed in which gomes has worked out the issues, come up with a plan and put it into action.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Jan 2019 15:01

Sutekh There is a thread in the rumours forum

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=185526&start=60

But this is confirmed stuff so should be in this forum now.

As his name is missing from the Chronicle article I presume therefore that Balcock is injured/ill again.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/spor ... ve-royals/

confimred

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Jan 2019 15:02

Sutekh
genome So that's Edwards, Sims, Clement, Andresson, Popa, House, Sidoel, and Southwood gone and it's only 7th January.

Blimey.

Where has Southwood gone?

Eastleigh, loan

211 posts