MATCHWATCH : Nottingham Forest (h) sponsored by Steve Stone

136 posts
10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Nottingham Forest (h) sponsored by Steve Stone

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 12 Jan 2019 17:34

Quality performance from us to push exactly the right buttons that a caretaker manager wouldn't want pushed. Colback and Fox were fired up trying to prove their point and our high press in the first half was absolutely spot on, didn't let them settle.

Hats off to José. That was a managers win. Don't think it means we'll go on an unbeaten run but for now I'll believe it :)

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 12 Jan 2019 17:35

Big relief to win finally. Having a proper striker up front seems to have helped us too

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Jan 2019 17:44

Jesus Christ we actually won a football match.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Jan 2019 17:46

A solid if not spectacular performance. Very good result

The 3 games vs Rotherham H, Ipswich A and Wigan H are absolutely massive. Need to nick something v Bolton too

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 12 Jan 2019 17:47

Uke So how are the newbies doing?

Uke, the new arrivals showed well today, and given it was only their first game, they played with some confidence. Lively, some good movement and passing, a few tricks here and there. They certainly added something to our game today. Very early doors yet of course, but you can see they have some ability, and hoping Gomes continues to draw it out of them.

Elsewhere, Swift and Barrow look markedly improved under Gomes (as I suspected they would). Rino continues to impress, and Bacuna did well. As TiagoIlori posted above, it's good to have Bod back, tho he looked a little off the pace (unsurprisingly). May take a game or two to get up to speed, get his timing back, etc. But he made a difference today, and we've missed his experience. Gomes deserves credit for not rushing him back.

Think we caught Forest on an off day having lost their manager yesterday, so prolly not a bad time to play them. But still, a good fighting display from us, and we should have won by more. The opposition scoring own goals and getting red cards are things that have been missing from our games this season.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 12 Jan 2019 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jan 2019 17:54

When I saw SSN highlights were 4:30 mins long thought get to see lots of action

Delighted 3 mins of That was spent on the Fox sending off

Still our goals were pretty good

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 12 Jan 2019 18:05

Technically our best 45 minutes in the first half since the last time under Stam when we beat Forest 3-1 at home in 2017. We closed down and pressed better that at anytime under Clement, our positioning and support team play was good and kept a good shape....what a difference. Whether or not Forest have a manager is irrelevant, we just looked way better.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2019 18:29

Just saw the highlights.

Richards very lucky to stay on the pitch, pretty much an identikit challenge to the one that later led to a straight red for Forest. Moore escalating things running from tens of yards away to trigger the maul when Fox was sent off.

Good goal for Swift... hilarious own goal. Probably should have had at least another for Bod's lay back to Baker(?) but blazed over.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 12 Jan 2019 18:42

A good day for us at home and elsewhere! Things looking clearer at the bottom now too. Looking likely to be 3 from us, Bolton, Rotherham and Ipswich for the drop. Bolton and Ipswich should go, especially with Bolton’s financial peril. So basically just finish above Rotherham!!

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 12 Jan 2019 18:46

Slightly puzzled by the BBC report...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46766459
...which talks about us "defending in numbers" and only looking better once Forest were down to 10 men.

At no stage in the game did Forest ever have a spell of pressure and look on top. I wouldn't say it was comfortable win, as we really ought to have created more in the first hour than we did, but we always looked the better side.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Jan 2019 19:00

At least BBC Berks gave us a nice touch of the Hallelujah Chorus after the game.

Schmeichel the dog

by Schmeichel the dog » 12 Jan 2019 19:01

tmesis Slightly puzzled by the BBC report...
...which talks about us "defending in numbers" and only looking better once Forest were down to 10 men.

At no stage in the game did Forest ever have a spell of pressure and look on top. I wouldn't say it was comfortable win, as we really ought to have created more in the first hour than we did, but we always looked the better side.

Agreed. Not wanting to take anything away from what was a good performance but Forest were poor. How they can be so high up the table is baffling based on that performance.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 12 Jan 2019 19:12

Good performance from us, biting into tackles all over the pitch, that`s all we ask. lets make the most of Rino because he isn`t going to be here very long,
God Forest were poor. whether that was down to us or them being shit is open to debate, but what I saw today gives me hope we can get out of this mess.

JR

by JR » 12 Jan 2019 19:37

Yes that’s a hugely poor report - very offended that the bbc reporter called it a turgid game - haven’t enjoyed a game as much at the Mad Stad for over two years.

We were in control the whole match, never looked like conceding and Forest actually looked better when they went down to 10.

Terrible lazy journalism.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 12 Jan 2019 19:59

JR

Yes that’s a hugely poor report - very offended that the bbc reporter called it a turgid game - haven’t enjoyed a game as much at the Mad Stad for over two years.

We were in control the whole match, never looked like conceding and Forest actually looked better when they went down to 10.

Well, those reports are written by BBC local radio so its either Dellor or the Notts equivilant.

Melton Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Melton, New York, Paris & Dubai - but mostly Melton and just outside the lockdown zone

by Melton Royal » 12 Jan 2019 20:02

It'll be the Notts guy, they were making those kind of remarks all through the match

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 12 Jan 2019 21:00

Melton Royal It'll be the Notts guy, they were making those kind of remarks all through the match

I agree

Huckleberry Hound

by Huckleberry Hound » 12 Jan 2019 22:01

JR

Colin Murray just used the T word on the Quest highlights. I’m guessing he read the BBC report rather than watch the match.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2019 22:23

To be fair, are Reading fans really any judge of what most football fans would consider turgid anymore? Our performances have been so dire for so long it's probably reset our perspective somewhat and most people's turgid is now excellent to us.

JR

by JR » 12 Jan 2019 23:21

Melton Royal It'll be the Notts guy, they were making those kind of remarks all through the match

My Forest mate who was in the away game says Reading were dreadful and are doomed to relegation.

Polar opposites to my view, but I guess that’s the rose tinted glasses of a football fan that makes these things very difficult to reconcile

136 posts