BFTG Forest Home

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Forest Home

by tmesis » 13 Jan 2019 00:24

Jackson Corner
percy_freeman Royalty Creeps in...... We've got our Reading back! Passion, movement and a purpose in our play. What a change in a short space of time. Mr Gomes, I salut you.....

I remember people saying that after Clements first win against QPR.

Not really. We had passion in the QPR game, but almost nothing else. We were outplayed from start to finish then, and people knew it would be impossible to ride our luck like that too often.

Swansea disaster aside, we've actually looked a good team under Gomes. I still worry about our lack of threat up front, but it's encouraging.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Jan 2019 00:35

tmesis
Jackson Corner
percy_freeman Royalty Creeps in...... We've got our Reading back! Passion, movement and a purpose in our play. What a change in a short space of time. Mr Gomes, I salut you.....

I remember people saying that after Clements first win against QPR.

Not really. We had passion in the QPR game, but almost nothing else. We were outplayed from start to finish then, and people knew it would be impossible to ride our luck like that too often.

Swansea disaster aside, we've actually looked a good team under Gomes. I still worry about our lack of threat up front, but it's encouraging.

Yep. We somehow beat both QPR and Preston at the back end of last season which kept us hope but in reality both games showed how limited we were. It was backs to the wall stuff where we created very little but somehow scraped wins. We looked good today but made hard work of finishing Forest off. On the plus side if we can start keeping more clean sheets it takes a bit of pressure off.

We looked much more balanced today. There was a better shape to the team. We still overplay but overall it was much better as we pressed Forest and won far more 50/50 challenges than we usually do. Given the talent in this squad we are in a ridiculous position.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 13 Jan 2019 01:00

Zip
LWJ
Zip
I disagree. Both sending offs were justified. You talk as if it’s a fact that he will be marked down when you have no idea if this will happen.

Qualified ref, so know a bit more than most.... he will have to answer why he gave a foul or no foul for every decision. Any KMI’s he missed mean he can’t score over average, too many marks below average and he will be moved to lesser games.

His management of the Murphy challenge meant he had to book 5 players and send one off. It’s a challenge you could see coming from a mile off and the aftermath was preventable

Forest imploded. That’s not the ref’s fault. He warned them. At one stage he called Fox over and made clear that Colback was on the brink of being sent off. Colback was already on a yellow and then got in the ref’s face. Sensible refereeing. No one is complaining about the sendings off and both Forest players apologised to their team mates. He made the right calls. He won’t be marked down imo.

I thought the ref was pretty bad. Fox should have got straight red for that first tackle 10 mins in, coleman kept on diving and he fell for it, pantillimon time wasting in first half, couple of off the ball things he missed and he more or less just watched as the forest players went very o t t. If he'd run in early with the cards could have nipped that in the bud.. Couple of bad challenges reading got away with too.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 13 Jan 2019 01:00

Zip
LWJ
Zip
I disagree. Both sending offs were justified. You talk as if it’s a fact that he will be marked down when you have no idea if this will happen.

Qualified ref, so know a bit more than most.... he will have to answer why he gave a foul or no foul for every decision. Any KMI’s he missed mean he can’t score over average, too many marks below average and he will be moved to lesser games.

His management of the Murphy challenge meant he had to book 5 players and send one off. It’s a challenge you could see coming from a mile off and the aftermath was preventable

Forest imploded. That’s not the ref’s fault. He warned them. At one stage he called Fox over and made clear that Colback was on the brink of being sent off. Colback was already on a yellow and then got in the ref’s face. Sensible refereeing. No one is complaining about the sendings off and both Forest players apologised to their team mates. He made the right calls. He won’t be marked down imo.

I agree

And forgetting whether he's marked down or not, what a change to have a ref who let things go and was even handed

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 13 Jan 2019 01:08

Really enjoyable game

And most impressed with Ejaria and Baker.

Not only do both look skilful quick and good decision makers but both are tall and pretty strong. Complete players in fact who can tackle run pass and are not easily pushed off the ball.

Add to that I don't think Swift has had a better game for Reading and Rino continues to improve.

So top marks to Jose for the team selection and for getting the best out of what we've got.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 13 Jan 2019 01:09

I'll buck the trend by saying Ejaria was wholly average (but with promise) and that Rinomhota was the standout in midfield for 90 minutes.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Jan 2019 01:53

Platypuss I'll buck the trend by saying Ejaria was wholly average (but with promise) and that Rinomhota was the standout in midfield for 90 minutes.

This.

Agreed Ejaria showed some promise. Faded after 50 60 minutes.

Rinomhota really is quite good. Reminds me of Danny Williams when his contract was getting close to expiring.

We seemed on the front foot today. Finally. After the turgid Clement teams performances let’s hope it continues.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Jan 2019 06:48

A rather one paced game. For a team who had two men sent off and one that should have been given a straight red I thought Forest stood off us a lot, especially in the first half. I'm guessing Derby won't give Moore and Illori the time to pass the ball around that Forest gave them.

Time and time again Richards in particular was stood on his own in acres of space and neither centre back seemed to realise that a quick ball out to the left could have resulted in more attacking opportunities.

Disappointed we decided to showboat with passing at the end rather than try to increase our goal difference.

Jaakkola - Nothing to do until Grabban got through at the end. 6

Yiadom - Superb performance from him. Great block in the first half, lured Fox into getting sent off and set up the own goal. Getting back to his best. 7
Illori - Still a couple of loose passes and lack of concentration but he's doesn't appear to be able to change. 6
Moore - Not much to do for once. Needs to move the ball quicker into midfield. 6
Richards - Decent going forward, although if his centre backs had spotted him he could have had more joy. Bad tackle for his yellow and was very lucky when he dived in for another tackle. 6

Bacuna - Solid display, if nothing spectacular. 6
Rinomhota - What can you say about him? He's just brilliant. Dynamic performance yet again. 9 MotM
Ejaria - Did well in the first half but tired in the second. 7
Swift - Well taken goal involved in everything good in attack and worked his socks off defensively. 8
Barrow - Poor decision making. Should have scored when he had the ball one on one but hesitated and the defenders got back. Miss the Barrow that ran at people, he did it once in the first half and got a free kick. 6

Bodvarsson - Did the little things well and showed what we've been missing up front. Never going to score lots of goals or have a good first touch but he is effective at what he can do. 7

Subs:

Baker - Good cameo. Could have scored but blazed over. Will be interesting to see him against 11. 7
McCleary - Provided width against ten and them nine men. 6
Loader - Would have been the perfect time for him to grab his first senior goal but his team mates seemed to be more interested in passing between themselves than going for abother goal or two against nine men. Glad he's ok after that tackle. 6

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 Jan 2019 08:10

Very pleased with that display.

We're still playing passing football, but we've added the movement necessary to make it work.

Rinomhota and Swift were excellent. The new players were promising without doing anything much of substance. Barrow is too one-footed to play on the right - stick him on the left so he doesn't always have to check back if the ball comes to his right foot.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Jan 2019 11:53

Zip Best performance of the season. Best atmosphere of the season. Best referee of the season. Best result of the season....but we have to be more clinical.

Jaakkola. 7. Good handling and did well with the scramble save at the end .

Truth is that he only had to produce the scramble save because of his initial mistake that led to that situation - hesitated then came out for a ball that he really shouldn't have done - he might have got there first had he not hesitated.

Still gives me the willies every time the ball is passed back to him and also when he takes goal kicks from a central position and then plays a short pass along the ground straight down the middle to a player who is facing him and is rapidly being closed down by an opponent. Fortunately we got away with it yesterday bit when all his team mate can do is hurriedly play the ball straight back to Jaakkola who then has to hit it long, it begs the question 'why take the risk in the first place? Just hit it long!'.

He would be good back up but we definitely need a better keeper as first choice this window.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 13 Jan 2019 11:58

Bigtimmeh
Zip
LWJ Qualified ref, so know a bit more than most.... he will have to answer why he gave a foul or no foul for every decision. Any KMI’s he missed mean he can’t score over average, too many marks below average and he will be moved to lesser games.

I thought the ref was pretty bad. Fox should have got straight red for that first tackle 10 mins in, coleman kept on diving and he fell for it, pantillimon time wasting in first half, couple of off the ball things he missed and he more or less just watched as the forest players went very o t t. If he'd run in early with the cards could have nipped that in the bud.. Couple of bad challenges reading got away with too.

He clearly added time for the keeper's time wasting and during one break in play went over and had a word with him.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Jan 2019 12:06

RoyalBlue
Zip Best performance of the season. Best atmosphere of the season. Best referee of the season. Best result of the season....but we have to be more clinical.

Truth is that he only had to produce the scramble save because of his initial mistake that led to that situation - hesitated then came out for a ball that he really shouldn't have done - he might have got there first had he not hesitated.

Still gives me the willies every time the ball is passed back to him and also when he takes goal kicks from a central position and then plays a short pass along the ground straight down the middle to a player who is facing him and is rapidly being closed down by an opponent. Fortunately we got away with it yesterday bit when all his team mate can do is hurriedly play the ball straight back to Jaakkola who then has to hit it long, it begs the question 'why take the risk in the first place? Just hit it long!'.

He would be good back up but we definitely need a better keeper as first choice this window.

Yep agreed. Jaakkola is not remotely comfortable with the ball at his feet. We still overplay too. He is a good shot stopper and his handling is good but his distribution is poor. As you say we sometimes pass the ball back to him under pressure and then he makes a hurried clearance.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jan 2019 12:31

Pretty sure the next incoming signing will be a keeper

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 13 Jan 2019 12:55

Zip
RoyalBlue

Yep agreed. Jaakkola is not remotely comfortable with the ball at his feet. We still overplay too. He is a good shot stopper and his handling is good but his distribution is poor. As you say we sometimes pass the ball back to him under pressure and then he makes a hurried clearance.

I have no problem with this.
Good shot stopper and handler >>>>>> good with ball at feet

Keepers that are good at both are above the championship

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 13 Jan 2019 13:10

Zip
LWJ
Zip

He missed one definite straight red(Murphy), and a potential other one (Fox). There would be no brawl if he is in there quickly with a red. He wasn’t. There is absolutely no reason he needed to give 5 cards out, except his lack of control. He managed it poorly and then got the decision wrong.
I’m not basing this off guess work, I’m basing this off knowing exactly how he should have managed it.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 13 Jan 2019 14:52

John Madejski's Wallet
Zip
RoyalBlue

I have no problem with this.
Good shot stopper and handler >>>>>> good with ball at feet

Keepers that are good at both are above the championship

Sorry but that's nonsense to say that a keeper who is able to play FOOTball is above the Championship. These guys are on >£10K a week. They are full-time professionals and it is absolutely criminal that they are unable to control and kick a ball with both feet.

If he's a relic from the generation when it wasn't felt necessary for keepers to be footballers then let's get in one of the younger generation.

It's not just when he's under pressure that he looks like a rabbit caught in headlights when the ball is passed towards him either. Defenders need to be able to pass the ball back to their keeper with confidence even when under pressure.

Furthermore, IMO he's not the greatest handler and possibly shot stopper either.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2019 15:33

JMW didn't say that. He said keeper's who can do both are above Championship. TBH Keepers who can do both are above quite a lot of the PL sides.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Jan 2019 16:10

LWJ
Zip
LWJ Qualified ref, so know a bit more than most.... he will have to answer why he gave a foul or no foul for every decision. Any KMI’s he missed mean he can’t score over average, too many marks below average and he will be moved to lesser games.

He missed one definite straight red(Murphy), and a potential other one (Fox). There would be no brawl if he is in there quickly with a red. He wasn’t. There is absolutely no reason he needed to give 5 cards out, except his lack of control. He managed it poorly and then got the decision wrong.
I’m not basing this off guess work, I’m basing this off knowing exactly how he should have managed it.

In your opinion. What you are saying is not fact. Let’s see if he gets marked down.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Jan 2019 17:51

New professional keepers should be comfortable with shot stopping and playing football, they are trained that way from a very young age and I've seen it first hand at a pro academy. This hasn't always been the case though which is why you see a lot of keepers of a certain age decent with their hands but very average with their feet. In 10 years time it will be abnormal for a goalkeeper to not be comfortable with both aspects. Back in my days as a young aspiring keeper I'd say it was 90% hand work and 10% distribution. It's very much 50/50 these days.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Jan 2019 18:03

Platypuss I'll buck the trend by saying Ejaria was wholly average (but with promise) and that Rinomhota was the standout in midfield for 90 minutes.

Arguably better than Kelly or Aluko though in terms of overall contribution.