MATCHWATCH : Derby County (a) sponsored by Yakubu

220 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Derby County (a) sponsored by Yakubu

by Hendo » 17 Jan 2019 09:20

Old Man Andrews
sandman I quite like the idea of playing against Richard Keogh with 120 minutes in his legs.

Depends who is playing up top against him. Bodvarsson doesn't have the mobility to run him ragged.

:|

Bod is deceptively quick and put in a lot of hard yards chasing down the Forest back line on Saturday. I would say he was our most suited to that role.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jan 2019 09:24

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
sandman I quite like the idea of playing against Richard Keogh with 120 minutes in his legs.

Depends who is playing up top against him. Bodvarsson doesn't have the mobility to run him ragged.

Bod is deceptively quick and put in a lot of hard yards chasing down the Forest back line on Saturday. I would say he was our most suited to that role.

Wow emojis..... Mature. He isn't quick, just tall and leggy which helps him cover the ground. He's not great at all with the ball at his feet and won't draw the fouls someone like Loader would against tired defenders.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Jan 2019 09:32

That Harry Wilson has a future. Shame he's Welsh.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jan 2019 09:33

Hendo
Old Man Andrews

yeah agreed. Bod for 70, then chuck on Loader or Baldock if fit

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Jan 2019 09:47

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews

Wow emojis..... Mature. He isn't quick, just tall and leggy which helps him cover the ground. He's not great at all with the ball at his feet and won't draw the fouls someone like Loader would against tired defenders.

A big :| to your emojis comment...

If you actually watch him, he is quicker than what you would think, hence deceptively, doesn't matter if he is all legs. He also draws more fouls than most of our players, although that might be because he sometimes looks like Bambi on ice :D

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 17 Jan 2019 09:54

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews

i fail to see the difference between a small player who pumps his short legs quickly, helping him "cover the ground", and a tall player whose long stride helps him "cover the ground" in the same time.

Unless it's the appearance of being fast actually matters more than the speed.

Bod did a great job against Forest, pressing their defenders and their goalkeeper, by being mobile - I couldn't give a monkey's what his running style is.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jan 2019 09:56

muirinho
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

i fail to see the difference between a small player who pumps his short legs quickly, helping him "cover the ground", and a tall player whose long stride helps him "cover the ground" in the same time.

Unless it's the appearance of being fast actually matters more than the speed.

Bod did a great job against Forest, pressing their defenders and their goalkeeper, by being mobile - I couldn't give a monkey's what his running style is.

Because one is naturally fast and one looks fast because he is tall and leggy. :| :| :| :| :|

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 17 Jan 2019 10:16

wow. emojis
mature

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jan 2019 10:17

Maneki Neko wow. emojis
mature

Well done for spotting the really obvious gag.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 17 Jan 2019 10:19

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 17 Jan 2019 10:19

lol.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Jan 2019 10:32

How big an impact does extra time have, do we think? A lot of the time when you think a team is going to be leggy it actually works in their favour because they have the momentum and would have trained anyway, albeit not quite to that intensity.

I am still confident of a draw.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jan 2019 10:42

John Smith How big an impact does extra time have, do we think? A lot of the time when you think a team is going to be leggy it actually works in their favour because they have the momentum and would have trained anyway, albeit not quite to that intensity.

Difficult to say really. Esp when its not like it was hot weather either, which could deplete the player more via dehydration etc

However, a late journey back, and likely lack of sleep a couple of days before won't help. Plus any little knocks or strains won't have time to recover.

Its probably a little overstated, but still think it will be a factor.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 17 Jan 2019 11:58

Nameless
Victor Meldrew It looks as though Derby are fielding their first eleven at Southampton tonight.
Let's hope for extra time, the odd sending-off and injury.

THEY,ve made 6 changes from their last game.......

Maybe but only the keeper would be regarded as a non first-teamer.
A good outcome for Reading, although the perfect end would have been for Derby to lose the penalty shoot-out and not have the lift that winning gives you.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 17 Jan 2019 12:01

John Smith How big an impact does extra time have, do we think? A lot of the time when you think a team is going to be leggy it actually works in their favour because they have the momentum and would have trained anyway, albeit not quite to that intensity.

I wasn't upset that it went to ET, if that makes sense.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jan 2019 12:20

Victor Meldrew
Nameless
Victor Meldrew It looks as though Derby are fielding their first eleven at Southampton tonight.
Let's hope for extra time, the odd sending-off and injury.

A good outcome for Reading, although the perfect end would have been for Derby to lose the penalty shoot-out and not have the lift that winning gives you.

Quite often after a decent cup win, the team are a bit flat in the game afterwards. If they'd lost they'd be straight back on the coach and lets concentrate on the league...

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Jan 2019 12:23

So the Derby win COULD give them a lift
OR
They could come down, do a version of after the Lord Mayor's Show
AND
They may, however slightly, be thinking of the fifth round (Accrington in the 4th)
AND
They are certainly not going to be 100% mentally fresh (small margins etc)
AND
However slightly, they will have some of Wednesday night tiredness in the legs
AND
They will have more niggles, aches and pains

I can't see any real way that Wednesday's extra-time isn't good for us.

It's not unusual to see sides doing well in the cup at the expense of league form

I think were were 50-50 before Wednesday. Now I'd say we have a definitely improved chance.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Jan 2019 12:23

Hound
Victor Meldrew
Nameless

Quite often after a decent cup win, the team are a bit flat in the game afterwards. If they'd lost they'd be straight back on the coach and lets concentrate on the league...

yep

(we live in hope)

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 17 Jan 2019 12:37

Snowball So the Derby win COULD give them a lift
OR
They could come down, do a version of after the Lord Mayor's Show
AND
They may, however slightly, be thinking of the fifth round (Accrington in the 4th)
AND
They are certainly not going to be 100% mentally fresh (small margins etc)
AND
However slightly, they will have some of Wednesday night tiredness in the legs
AND
They will have more niggles, aches and pains

I can't see any real way that Wednesday's extra-time isn't good for us.

It's not unusual to see sides doing well in the cup at the expense of league form

I think were were 50-50 before Wednesday. Now I'd say we have a definitely improved chance.

Just on your 50/50 the bookies still have it at around 62% probability that Derby will win.
You might be interested in backing Reading at 4/1 and/or the draw at 3/1.

Much as I would like to think the result of last night will be that Derby are tired and have niggling injuries the pessimist in me says that will be outweighed by the bonus of them winning against a Premier League side and now playing us at home-both of these are psychological advantages IMHO.

Having said all that, we have had some good results at Derby over the years, often unexpectedly so let's hope for the best on Saturday.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Jan 2019 13:39

One of the rational/irrational things that makes me not expect a Derby win is:

Back in the days of Football Pools there was an adage that when a side won away in the first game
between two teams, they would come home and fail to win (when the odds are obviously in favour of a win)

It used to be a good way of finding surprise draws.

Derby will expect to win (good for us)
We are improving.
Derby don't like a high press
We have a very good historical record v Derby

4-1 for the win is nice...

220 posts