Gomes BBC Berks Interview

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gomes BBC Berks Interview

by Snowball » 22 Jan 2019 12:51

Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal
leon Wrttop listened to the interview. Not sure where the out of his depth comments come from.

He just said he has a game plan that the team must stick to. When they do, it can work.

His comments on Rinomhota were a little odd. I read into them that he’s not as good a passer as Baker etc.

I don't think Rino's a great passer for sure in terms of the sort of range of creativity and vision the likes of Swift, Sharia, Kelly etc have on their day. So I can see why a 'Play from the back intricate passing' advocate would be less keen.

For me the thing that makes Rino great is not the tricks, flicks and creativity it's the way he plays everything simply, purposefully and directly.

You rarely see a lacklustre pass that dribbles to a team mate or goes behind them from him.

He's the water carrier that allows the more creative players to express themselves. He's the one we should use to build the team around and cement it together.

One thing he does so well is battle in midfield and ball winning. I wonder if this influenced the bizarre decision to play him at fullback. If that was the case, it's worrying that Gomes can't tell the difference between a natural DFM and a natural fullback.

Didn't Rhino play RB at Man U second half?

Didn't Nobbers say he had Rashford in his pocket?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Jan 2019 13:22

A lot of retrospective wisdom on this board...

This "horrendous error" of Gomes, playing Rhino at RB...

After the Man Utd game not ONE Nobber suggested Rhino wasn't a good RB, not one suggested that moving him weakened the team.

Whereas I, personally, would prefer Rhino driving through midfield, I also wanted to see both the loanees playing (maybe Bacuna RB)

But here are the four people who mentioned Rhino

From BFTG Man Utd

URZZZZ - Rinomhota 6 - not as good today but worked hard and kept Rashford at bay when at RB, just a few sloppy misplaced passes from him today

Snowflake Royal - Rino 8 MotM same as ever from Rino, simple,combative, effective (SB Half a game at RB)

Sandman - Rinomhota - This guy is a star. Started off a bit nervy giving the ball away a couple of times but after that brilliant, both at centre back and full back. If he doesn't go in this transfer window then he will in the next whether we stay up or not. 8 motm

Singing Defective - Must say, watching the 21 year old Rinomhota make Rashford wish the latter had that extra gear some posters on here say Man Fu Ted weren’t using, by covering the inside of his run on goal, made sitting on a train for seven hours worthwhile.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Jan 2019 14:07

yes he might have had a decent game at RB no one's disputing this. The point is he's better in the midfield.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 22 Jan 2019 14:16

leon yes he might have had a decent game at RB no one's disputing this. The point is he's better in the midfield.

You must be new here? this is snowball ffs. You'd have more success with oxfording yourself with one of your own frozen turds

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 Jan 2019 14:41

Snowball I personally,would prefer Rhino driving through midfield

You thought you had covered your ass? Not in here m8. :wink:
I want him in midfield, too, and likely wouldn't have done it.
But you're right, in the Man Yoo game there was nothing to suggest he couldn't play there, and play well there, if it was decided to play him there in a game subsequently.
Anyway, unless this becomes a season-long switch, I've moved on.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Jan 2019 15:57

Nothing to do with ass-covering, of course I would prefer Rhino in MF. That’s a given.

My point was there were no Nobbers suggesting Rhino couldn’t do a good, even great job at RB

The manager rightly thought a very good ball-playing midfielder in midfield might do better (and maybe he thought the two chosen FBs would be better than Yiadom right and a kid or Blackett at LB)

It was a perfectly reasonable choice that (in retrospect) turned out wrong.

Having said that Baker underperformed on the day and the team passed up countless opportunities when Rhino found space out wide.

Had they found him half a dozen times more and one cross made a goal, then we’d probably be saying the change worked

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 22 Jan 2019 17:56

Snowball
Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal I don't think Rino's a great passer for sure in terms of the sort of range of creativity and vision the likes of Swift, Sharia, Kelly etc have on their day. So I can see why a 'Play from the back intricate passing' advocate would be less keen.

For me the thing that makes Rino great is not the tricks, flicks and creativity it's the way he plays everything simply, purposefully and directly.

You rarely see a lacklustre pass that dribbles to a team mate or goes behind them from him.

He's the water carrier that allows the more creative players to express themselves. He's the one we should use to build the team around and cement it together.

One thing he does so well is battle in midfield and ball winning. I wonder if this influenced the bizarre decision to play him at fullback. If that was the case, it's worrying that Gomes can't tell the difference between a natural DFM and a natural fullback.

I thought we had generally declared that game null and void because United let us have the ball and didn't remotely play like any championship team we are likely to come up against. Especially one that lets us have 13 attempts on goal and get 5 of those on target.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Jan 2019 18:07

Ascotexgunner
Snowball
Ascotexgunner

I thought we had generally declared that game null and void because United let us have the ball and didn't remotely play like any championship team we are likely to come up against. Especially one that lets us have 13 attempts on goal and get 5 of those on target.

I must have missed that poll.

I would have voted Ian Royal, anyway

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jan 2019 18:24

Snowball
Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal I don't think Rino's a great passer for sure in terms of the sort of range of creativity and vision the likes of Swift, Sharia, Kelly etc have on their day. So I can see why a 'Play from the back intricate passing' advocate would be less keen.

He did. Some did. He didn't. Got absolutely rinsed a couple of times.

Cover for part of a game you're losing to go more attacking is one thing. Moving him from where he's our best player to a position he's not great at from minute 1 when you have three fit alternatives is madness. And the proof is in the pudding. He did badly, midfield was a shambles and we lost.

And yes, I called him MotM. For his performance in midfield and doing his best at RB as required.

No one has objected to him playing RB because no one but Gomes thought it was a position he'd be started in.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 Jan 2019 20:19

Derby aside, now that we’re getting players back, will be interesting who he picks going forward. What if Eza returns? Usually, the more options you have, the more open to criticism and mistakes you are. He can only pick 11. Even the bench will be subject to scrutiny. I’m bracing myself for the ‘What message does it send?’ stuff already.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Jan 2019 21:35

Denver Royal Derby aside, now that we’re getting players back, will be interesting who he picks going forward. What if Eza returns? Usually, the more options you have, the more open to criticism and mistakes you are. He can only pick 11. Even the bench will be subject to scrutiny. I’m bracing myself for the ‘What message does it send?’ stuff already.

Get Bacuna out and stick Eza in to play the enforcer role. It will then free Rinomhota to push on a bit which we know he's capable of. Bacuna's lack of discipline hinders Rinomhota slightly.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Jan 2019 22:27

Old Man Andrews
Denver Royal Derby aside, now that we’re getting players back, will be interesting who he picks going forward. What if Eza returns? Usually, the more options you have, the more open to criticism and mistakes you are. He can only pick 11. Even the bench will be subject to scrutiny. I’m bracing myself for the ‘What message does it send?’ stuff already.

Get Bacuna out and stick Eza in to play the enforcer role. It will then free Rinomhota to push on a bit which we know he's capable of. Bacuna's lack of discipline hinders Rinomhota slightly.

Would agree but I fear Eza might not get his chance now. I hope I’m wrong