Gomes BBC Berks Interview

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Gomes BBC Berks Interview

by Notts Royal » 20 Jan 2019 10:21

Hound Be a travesty if we didn’t stay up with some of the quality in the side

Which players have shown consistent “Quality” this season? I can name 1.

A month ago most of the fan base were saying we lacked the quality to stay up. Now, after a couple of nice possession performances (which have resulted in just 4 points out of 5 games), we are saying we have too much quality to go down

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2019 11:04

Hound Agree to an extent

Tough one though - tried to get a experience tested striker last season and he was abysmal

Just not easy whichever way you try

It certainly isn't when everything about your side is the problem.

We keep bringing in players with poor attitude, which doesn't help and then misusing them. Martin was known to have been disruptive and uncommitted on his previous loan and was also past his best.

Our recruitment has been a disaster for years now.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Jan 2019 13:13

Wrttop listened to the interview. Not sure where the out of his depth comments come from.

He just said he has a game plan that the team must stick to. When they do, it can work.

His comments on Rinomhota were a little odd. I read into them that he’s not as good a passer as Baker etc.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2019 14:24

leon Wrttop listened to the interview. Not sure where the out of his depth comments come from.

He just said he has a game plan that the team must stick to. When they do, it can work.

His comments on Rinomhota were a little odd. I read into them that he’s not as good a passer as Baker etc.

I don't think Rino's a great passer for sure in terms of the sort of range of creativity and vision the likes of Swift, Sharia, Kelly etc have on their day. So I can see why a 'Play from the back intricate passing' advocate would be less keen.

For me the thing that makes Rino great is not the tricks, flicks and creativity it's the way he plays everything simply, purposefully and directly.

You rarely see a lacklustre pass that dribbles to a team mate or goes behind them from him.

He's the water carrier that allows the more creative players to express themselves. He's the one we should use to build the team around and cement it together.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Jan 2019 15:06

I didn’t think it was possible for Ady to come across as more of a dick than he has in recent weeks but he did it yesterday.

Is it true that he tweeted yesterday he would have done a better job than Gomes? And that someone replied asking him how it went at Bedford and Didcot?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Jan 2019 15:29

Royal Rother I didn’t think it was possible for Ady to come across as more of a dick than he has in recent weeks but he did it yesterday.

Is it true that he tweeted yesterday he would have done a better job than Gomes? And that someone replied asking him how it went at Bedford and Didcot?

This is true. Staggering levels of arrogance from a bloke who is better than that. I can only think he is saying things to generate a buzz which if that is the case he has achieved his goal.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 20 Jan 2019 15:57

Old Man Andrews
Royal Rother I didn’t think it was possible for Ady to come across as more of a dick than he has in recent weeks but he did it yesterday.

This is true. Staggering levels of arrogance from a bloke who is better than that. I can only think he is saying things to generate a buzz which if that is the case he has achieved his goal.

Yep, defended them in the past, but if this continues could see Gomes telling them to do one. They will only have themselves to blame, yet everyone will lose out.
Also, not in habit of listening to interviews, but did so cos of immediate brouhaha in here. (Actually listened twice, figuring I missed something?). Didn't hear much that was sinister or juicy (to the disappointment of some, I'm sure). If you have agendas and are looking for snippets then you're liable to find it and run with it, but there was really nothing in there that bothered me.
Re. starting slow, like any manager, he obv can't guarantee absolutely what happens in games, but it's been identified as an issue they're working on. (Which is good, because if you concede early in away games, you don't win many).
Last edited by Denver Royal on 20 Jan 2019 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 20 Jan 2019 16:07

Notts Royal A month ago most of the fan base were saying we lacked the quality to stay up. Now, after a couple of nice possession performances (which have resulted in just 4 points out of 5 games), we are saying we have too much quality to go down

Possession with little to no threat. Excluding the own goal. Two goals scored in 5 league fixtures. Only game we've won is against a (on the day) totally disorganised Forest.

Pardew stopped the rot by playing 5 at the back. No conceding goals and scrapping 1-0 wins. Not by attempting to play attractive slow tempo football from the back.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 20 Jan 2019 16:24

Lower West
Notts Royal A month ago most of the fan base were saying we lacked the quality to stay up. Now, after a couple of nice possession performances (which have resulted in just 4 points out of 5 games), we are saying we have too much quality to go down

Possession with little to no threat. Excluding the own goal. Two goals scored in 5 league fixtures. Only game we've won is against a (on the day) totally disorganised Forest.

You're wrong. With the own goal, its actually 4 goals in 5 games.
And so, that makes it 4 goals in the last 3 games.
Still, we agreed to give him 10 games.
Why would you want to exclude the own goal anyway?
Last edited by Denver Royal on 20 Jan 2019 16:37, edited 2 times in total.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Jan 2019 16:24

sandman
Oilroyal Deller’s a plank. Instead of getting behind Gomes he questions everything that doesn’t suit his own opinion. The players in the past may have been stealing a living but Dellor and Williams are stealing their share of easy money at the BBC. Both total planks and hysteria mongers when it suits them to be. Both a shit stirring pair of melts.

Not true. He asked the questions that needed to be asked.

If Clement had pulled out that team selection, those subs and said half the shit Gomes came out with in that interview he would have been crucified on here and Twitter.

Disagree. What the f*ck was the point of asking Gomes whether he was happy with four points from five games?1 :roll: Would have loved to have seen Dim Tellor's reaction had Gomes actually turned around and said 'Yes, I'm really pleased'!

Tellor is a coward of the first degree. Rants like mad to the world before the interview with Gomes, backs off like mad during the interview, and then when Gomes is gone starts his usually ill-informed rants again. He stills seems bitter and twisted that we didn't take his hero Parkinson who is doing such a great job at present.

Having acted like the school sneak in reporting Bacuna's reaction to Gomes (and then suggesting the manager might want to ask Bacuna about it) I suspect he will find interviews with players more difficult to get in future.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Jan 2019 16:26

AthleticoSpizz Relatively it’s a cheap gamble tho”

JC (like our JC before him, is right there in that box) another Alfie...he stepped up too

It's an incredibly expensive gamble if he's the only striker we sign and it doesn't work out.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 Jan 2019 16:28

Ffs lighten up

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 20 Jan 2019 17:42

Notts Royal

A month ago most of the fan base were saying we lacked the quality to stay up. Now, after a couple of nice possession performances (which have resulted in just 4 points out of 5 games), we are saying we have too much quality to go down

Yeah that

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2019 18:14

John Madejski's Wallet
Notts Royal

Yeah that

Same here.

This whole not starting like the players are supposed to is hardly new either is it. They did it under Stam. They did it under Clement. Hell some of them did it under Clarke, Adkins and McDermott. They're now doing it under Gomes. I see little reason to think he could change that if he was Alex Ferguson in his pomp.

Gomes seems like a nice guy, with some decent ideas. He says some good stuff, but he says some utter shit too. He's not the problem, but I'm still yet to see any sign he's the solution. Ejaria seems a good signing though.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 20 Jan 2019 20:44

I only occasionally hear these three clowns as I am usually out of catchment area range by the time they get properly going but what strikes me is other local radio stations when I'm on the way back from away games are completely behind their team to the point of being biased.

Dellor is only in the role due to family contacts, I never hear his commentary luckily but the twitter comments say it all.

From what I briefly hear post game when in range Williams sounds like a bitter ex pro; I'd imagine he's applied for coaching roles at the club and been unsuccessful.

Gooding thinks he's the voice reason but in reality is bland and clueless as he was as a manager, turned a play off team into relegation fodder in 6 months through dreadful transfer dealings.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2019 20:45

Who is ‘we’ and ‘most of the fan base’? Much as I’d like to be the voice of the Reading fans, I’m giving my opinion, and that is that with the quality of player we have in the side we shouldn’t be bottom 3

Fine if people disagree on that btw

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Jan 2019 20:58

Snowflake Royal
leon Wrttop listened to the interview. Not sure where the out of his depth comments come from.

I don't think Rino's a great passer for sure in terms of the sort of range of creativity and vision the likes of Swift, Sharia, Kelly etc have on their day. So I can see why a 'Play from the back intricate passing' advocate would be less keen.

For me the thing that makes Rino great is not the tricks, flicks and creativity it's the way he plays everything simply, purposefully and directly.

You rarely see a lacklustre pass that dribbles to a team mate or goes behind them from him.

He's the water carrier that allows the more creative players to express themselves. He's the one we should use to build the team around and cement it together.

It will shock you to hear that I couldn’t agree more.

His industry in midfield is precisely what we need. Not playing at right back.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2019 21:01

You're not an idiot, you're an arse, so the fact you can see something that obvious is unsurprising to me

:wink:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Jan 2019 00:48

Snowflake Royal You're not an idiot, you're an arse, so the fact you can see something that obvious is unsurprising to me

:wink:

Well you mentioned it in the first place so I’m not sure what that makes you,

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 21 Jan 2019 21:39

Snowflake Royal

One thing he does so well is battle in midfield and ball winning. I wonder if this influenced the bizarre decision to play him at fullback. If that was the case, it's worrying that Gomes can't tell the difference between a natural DFM and a natural fullback.