Gomes BBC Berks Interview

leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gomes BBC Berks Interview

by leon » 19 Jan 2019 20:24

Sutekh Gomes is learning as well. He’s learning English Second Division football which is a hell of a lot different to the PL and what he’s used to elsewhere. He’s still learning about the squad of players he’s inherited some of whom may well not be up to what Gomes wants either technically or mentally. Therefore mistakes will be made and, indeed, today he, IMO, made a total hash of the team selection.

As to his interview he does sound like he’s out of his depth as he’s saying things like Reading controlled the second half and controlled the game at ManU but that’s a worry as it suggests he doesn’t realise that ManU can let a club like Reading play and teams leading 2-0 are going to sit back and let you have more of the ball.

He needs to wake up to the fact that controlling a game and yet losing it is immaterial and certainly someone needs to make it quite clear to him that Reading are not going to get any time whatsoever on the ball when they go to Bolton so telling Jaakkola etc. to play out from the back is going to be suicidal. So he needs to tell them to look to go long unless it is clear the opposition are not pressing high.

And that’s the other thing. If you’re a proponent of that passing style then surely the first thing you do is establish clearly what to do when being pressed high is which what an awful lot of opponents will try to do to counter it. Doesn’t look like that’s being told to the players or, if it is, it’s very poor decision making by the players concerned.

And perhaps it is the players at fault. If you’re being pressed then why on earth even give Jaakkola the short pass option?

Watched the second half and actually we did control the second half. Had few shots, mind you, but yes we passed it around and look menacing rather than dangerous, if you will.

Derby made late substitutions seemingly to slow us down as the last 15 mins was all us.

That said we lost because we didn’t come out of the traps at anywhere near the required pace and gave a 2 goal head start.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Jan 2019 20:27

Yeah, but not too bad for two teams at opposing ends of this division

Sounded decent enough

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 19 Jan 2019 20:29

Let`s get rid of another manager. Christ on a bike, can anyone see this? stability anyone??????

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 19 Jan 2019 20:42

P!ssed Off
Denver Royal Hmmm, really don’t recall you criticizing Clement much at all?
Anyway, one player change today. Last week Baker came on 60 mins for Richards, and this week he started instead of Richards. That’s it. The other 10 all started last week. Not sure I’d have played Rino at RB today myself, although he has filled in there well in the past.
Btw, I’m not much for interviews, and never have been. Most know me for that, under all managers, and I remain consistent. Don’t put much sway in what he said today, or what Clement said, or the previous guy, and so on.

:|
At best, a few posters will recognise your username.

Ha, prolly. Put it this way, if I’m supportive of Gomes, I can assure you it won’t be because of what he says, or because ‘I like the way he comes across’ in interviews:)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jan 2019 20:52

Reading through JLows transcript - not sure if same interview - sounds like Kelly is basically on the transfer list

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Jan 2019 20:52

AthleticoSpizz Yeah, but not too bad for two teams at opposing ends of this division

Sounded decent enough

It’s still a defeat and against a team that played a gruelling game in midweek. Yet again we dominated possession but to what effect? We overpass and are predictable in playing in front of the opposition.
There is enough talent in this squad to be doing so much better but we are incapable of playing well over ninety minutes.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Jan 2019 20:54

Hound Reading through JLows transcript - not sure if same interview - sounds like Kelly is basically on the transfer list

I don’t understand why the club just don’t come out and say which players are transfer listed.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Jan 2019 20:55

Zip
AthleticoSpizz Yeah, but not too bad for two teams at opposing ends of this division

Sounded decent enough

It’s still a defeat and against a team that played a gruelling game in midweek. Yet again we dominated possession but to what effect? We overpass and are predictable in playing in front of the opposition.
There is enough talent in this squad to be doing so much better but we are incapable of playing well over ninety minutes.
yeah agree, but always the optimist, we’ll be fine

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Jan 2019 21:01

AthleticoSpizz
Zip

Sounded decent enough

yeah agree, but always the optimist, we’ll be fine

As it happens I think we will stay up too but they are making hard work of it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jan 2019 21:21

Be a travesty if we didn’t stay up with some of the quality in the side

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jan 2019 21:21

Hound Reading through JLows transcript - not sure if same interview - sounds like Kelly is basically on the transfer list

Shame.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jan 2019 21:22

Snowflake Royal

Shame.

Meh

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jan 2019 21:25

Quick search round twitter suggest Gomes said something along the lines of him liking Oliveira and hardly denied being interested

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jan 2019 21:27

Hound
Snowflake Royal

Shame.

Meh

I realise I'm not exactly in the majority view, but I'd take him over the Jekyll and Hyde Bacuna and I'd rather see a mediocre Academy player than another string of mediocre short term signings. Especially one who won't be as out of his depth with us next season in League One.

I thought he and Rino worked really well together against Utd and he's been consistently ok this season.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Jan 2019 22:24

Hound Quick search round twitter suggest Gomes said something along the lines of him liking Oliveira and hardly denied being interested
should be looking at someone like Lutons James Collins tbf...lower league ferret who is ready for the step-up

Scored for fun for Crawley, now doing it for Luton...knows where the net is

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 19 Jan 2019 23:06

AthleticoSpizz
Hound Quick search round twitter suggest Gomes said something along the lines of him liking Oliveira and hardly denied being interested
should be looking at someone like Lutons James Collins tbf...lower league ferret who is ready for the step-up

Scored for fun for Crawley, now doing it for Luton...knows where the net is

McNulty did the same for Coventry, it does not always translate to the championship.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Jan 2019 23:09

Relatively it’s a cheap gamble tho”

JC (like our JC before him, is right there in that box) another Alfie...he stepped up too

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2019 07:05

Thought Stockley would have been worth a look - saw him score for Preston yesterday

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2019 09:12

Not a fan of the January lower league goalscoring gamble in a relegation battle.

That sort of player rarely makes an immediate impact. And in a relegation threatened team that struggles to make good chances you're not even giving them much chance.

We don't look like we're planning for relegation but desperately fighting it, so if we try to sign a striker I think it'll be one we think is proven at this sort of level already.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2019 10:15

Agree to an extent

Tough one though - tried to get a experience tested striker last season and he was abysmal

Just not easy whichever way you try